Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

please use spoiler tags for detailed discussions of books that are not released in the US yet

Didn't realise it wasn't out in the US yet, sorry.

Fearless posted:

Lux is his main go-to because, as he states, it is the first spell that wizards learn. They learn it because it is probably the easiest of the formae to pick up and subsequently modify-- the Faceless Man can't totally prepare for a lot of what Peter does because it's all stuff that he's created himself based on his observations and needs.

While I'll acknowledge that the modifiers to Lux are being used in-combat in an interesting way, it's the only "visible" spell that he learns on camera, so to speak. He learns Aquis off camera, and uses it with a modifier during the book once in combat, and once when showing off. It's been five books, and while I get the Lux is interesting, Peters training really needs to take a massive step forward if the combat side of the books is going to be kept interesting.

I mean hell, Lesley's been gone for two books, and she's weaponised techology in that span of time. Peter's still faffing about with Lux.

quote:

I think Peter's actions are easier to understand in the context that he's not really fish or fowl-- at the start of his career he was scheduled to be assigned to evidence control or some sort of similar clerical job because his mind wandered too much to be an investigator. He's not completely a wizard in the mold of the Folly either, because he's too much a policeman (in particular, he has a knack for community outreach and policing that is becoming a more prominent part of most force's activities).

moderator edit to add spoiler tags

Agreed - there was a very telling series of lines during the book with Peter not so subtly reminding Nightingale that technically, they are police. They are the arm of the law. "We're either the police, or we're not" which I don't think is something that Nightingale has really taken on before, he's done his job on his own terms up until Peter comes along and reminds him that he has a duty, and Peter takes his oath as a policeman extremely seriously, so much so that it's caused Nightingale to have some introspection and start stepping up to the plate in that respect, with him modernizing his policing techniques.

I personally think that Nightingale needs Peter a great deal, both to keep him modern, and to give him a goal in life, something I'd argue he didn't really have prior to taking on Peter as an apprentice. The Folly was falling apart, and Nightingale was functionally on his own, now he has hope of a sort, and there's the chance that the folly will continue when Nightingale goes - and I do think that Nightingale will eventually die in combat, probably to the faceless man when his grand plan comes to fruition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

-Fish- posted:

Kringle's Senechal may be the best new lore addition to the series I've ever seen.

Care to elaborate? behind spoilers if you're concerned

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Any word on a release date for peace talks yet?

Big October / November - new Rivers and new Laundry - who else is due soon?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

biracial bear for uncut posted:

So I'm reading through the Delirium Brief again.

Did I read the bits about the Senior Auditor correctly and he's basically sacrificed himself to the Black Pharaoh in order to give the UK a chance at survival?

Because that's both badass and horrifying, I wonder how the next book is going to open.

That was precisely how I read that yeah. I think Mahogany row might be turbofucked now, who even are there big hitters? the fangs are strong but inexperienced. The Dark elf queen has no loyalty to anyone but turbonerd. Bob is... unreliable? Mo's given up her violin playing ways

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ornamented Death posted:

Read through at least book 5 of Faust before starting on Harmony Black. I think Schaefer has a reading order on his website.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I read the first Faust book on a whim about 18 months and kinda bounced off it hard with the introduction of the succubus is introduced as a sexual object (and make no mistake, that's what she was being used as) - who is rescued by, and who then falls for the mysterious well meaning hero.

I mean, I finished the book, but it left a sour taste in my mouth.

I finished "The White Gold Score" a few days ago and enjoyed it far more than the first book, purely because it's only ever mentioned in passing as to what her nature is, and the fact she never uses it as a weapon in the book.

Future books may not be as sparing, but I'm at least willing to give the next book a shot based on that.

tithin fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 22, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

jivjov posted:

Unless you bought a copy of Peace Talks already, Butcher doesn't owe you jack poo poo.

You've been told already why this is stupid.

Peace talks is book 15 of a 20 odd book series that prior to this has been released on a slightly more than annual basis, with an active and engaged author who had a reputation for being good at output - which meant people could get into the story, and read them all with the knowledge the next one wouldn't be far behind, with a defined end goal for the story and a proposed number of books meaning you could count the number of years on both hands until the end of the story.

Butcher's the one who set that expectation.

Somewhere after Changes, that formula / ratio changed - things went to poo poo in terms of release timeframes and Butcher clammed the gently caress up about why

I'm not going to give Butcher poo poo about the fact he's taking longer on this book than he has on others, but it is a concern because each of us posting here is sufficiently invested in the overall story that yes, we're concerned as to why he keeps missing self imposed deadlines, and he's mostly radio silent about what's going on.

If he's got writer's block, I sympathize, the poo poo with his house doesn't help, and yes, life does in fact get in the way... but that stuff was 2 / 3 years ago, what's going on now? At least give us some insight on what's going on, and a realistic timeframe for when the next book is coming.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Proteus Jones posted:

Hw owes you nothing. Move on with your life.

Butcher Defence Force itt.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ornamented Death posted:

Butcher didn't clam up, he's been pretty open about why his work has slowed down. I know this because I've posted it several times in this thread. It's not his fault you entitled manchildren either can't be bothered to understand what the man has said on the subject or simply choose not to accept his reasons as valid.

Where's he posted it because on looking at his twitter, he goes months without posting anything substantial.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Cool - is this his official site, or fan run? Not that I'm doubting the veracity of information or anything, just surprised none of that was getting put on his twitter which was where I was keeping an eye on.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Proteus Jones posted:

I mean, I know what you’re implying, but it’s probably best to spell it out for the slow kids in this thread.

He quit because of entitled shits demanding to know when the new book was coming out. Also, these same assholes demanding to know what’s going on in his private life that’s interfering with this book he somehow “owes” them.

Authors are no less workpeople than anyone else. They shouldn't be abused for not having finished their thing, but at the same time, they shouldn't get a pass because writing is hard

e:

Proteus Jones posted:

I mean, I know what you’re implying, but it’s probably best to spell it out for the slow kids in this thread.

He quit because of entitled shits demanding to know when the new book was coming out. Also, these same assholes demanding to know what’s going on in his private life that’s interfering with this book he somehow “owes” them.

Proteus Jones posted:

God drat a lot of entitled cry-babies in this thread.

Could you stop insulting people please?

People want the next book, and you're being abrasive as poo poo about saying people don't deserve it

tithin fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 27, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Proteus Jones posted:

Who is it they are getting a pass from? They owe you nothing. There is no pass to give.

By claiming they “get a pass” you are absolutely lumped in the “entitled rear end in a top hat” group. Sorry I don’t have a pass for you.

From you, to start with.

Asking where the book is, doesn't entitlement make.

If asking where the book is turns into sending abuse, then it's entitlement and can gently caress off.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

-Fish- posted:

You're absolutely correct, one person asking an author about the next book is not harassment.

We've reached a point where it's basically impossible for the man to use social media despite being pretty open about the status of the book due to people just bombarding him instead of taking 5 seconds to Google it, and without any tone of voice or body language to carry meaning referring to whether or not the author deserves a pass can be easily misinterpreted by the person on the other side of the screen. Especially in a discussion where some folks are already heated up over the subject, and some folks (not referring to you) are genuinely acting like entitled shits.

Nobody's saying one person or another don't deserve information on where the book is, the issue is that information is the 2nd result on google if you search "where is peace talks", so addressing the author directly on the matter is not a beneficial course of action and only results in added stress on the author. The main point of contention is people lining up and saying Butcher owes them a book, rather than information on the status of the book.

I'm disconnected enough from UF that I basically check into this thread about once every 6-12 months looking for new stuff to consume.

I've already made it plain that I do sympathise with him, as to why it's not out, and yes the other dude does have a point that technically he doesn't owe us anything because we haven't paid for the book (laying aside that we technically can't purchase the book yet, so the basis for his point is somewhat moot), so why he can't (or refuses to) see the point that I and others are making that there's been an expectation set, that the author himself encouraged, for the book to have been out by now is somewhat farcical.

No one deserves abuse for making something popular, and I'm not condoning it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Just finished the newest Laundry files audiobook and I don't think it was very good.

Even going into it with the knowledge that it was a new narrator (and funnily enough that there has been new narrators in the past hasn't bothered me) the new narrator was just, awful. Everyones voices sounded completely different from their characters.

Pete turned from a northernly english vicar to a gruff scotsman. Pinky and brain turned scotsmen as well?

And then there's the events of the story.

Pete turned into a nazgul fang and probably going to commit suicide, brains and derek also turned into fangs.

It was a pyhhric victory when they're short of resources as it currently stands.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Aerdan posted:

After fan outcry, James Marsters went and read it, so see if you can hunt down that version.

Audible even gave it to people for free as a replacement of the old narrators version, which they also let people keep.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

EVGA Longoria posted:

Was that a limited time thing? Cause I just checked and it says it’s $10 for me still, even owning the old one.

Time limited;

the email I got posted:

Dear Listener,
Here at Audible, we truly understand the power great performances bring to your favorite stories. And for long-running series, no matter how good a new voice may be, it can be hard to hear someone else bring beloved characters to life. So when Ghost Story: A Novel of the Dresden Files, Book 13, was narrated by someone other than series regular James Marsters, some listeners were disappointed.

We're happy to report that Ghost Story has since been re-recorded with the inimitable Marsters at the helm - and, since you're a fan of this series, we want you to have it free.

Just click on the link below to add the new version to your cart, and a promotion code will automatically be applied so you can complete your collection of Marsters-narrated Dresden Files. And if you happen to have already picked up a copy of the new version, this promo code will provide you with a replacement credit. The code will be valid for one week, and will expire on April 28, 2015.

Thanks, as always, for being a member. Remember, we're here 24/7 if you ever have any questions. Happy listening!

Sincerely,
The Audible Team

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The ending to Lies Sleeping made me smile.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm about 2 hours off the end of the most recent verus book - it's definitely improved in the last couple of books but I'm sort of thrown off by just how loving cruel the author is to Anne.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Finally decided to sit down and knuckle through the faust larger series, and I'm not far into Harmony black - hope it improves because it's *really* not pulling in my attention.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Listening to the Revanche cycle book 1 now.

Not sure how it crosses over into Faust / Black territory at all, but I'm enjoying it

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

See: his debate with Titania around Gay men

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Finished the Revanche Cycle - I know it's Fantasy to the UF, but considering how it ties into the Daniel Faust series (stopped reading that to read the Revanche) it's actually surprisingly good as a standalone series.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

The ending to "the castle doctrine" faust novel is some loving dark poo poo

tithin fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 24, 2019

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Daniel Faust - Double or nothing
Is that Grey Fox who I think it is?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Kea posted:

Decided the only sane thing to do is read the first dresden files book and see how bad it is compared to my memory!

"....last seen in a fetal position muttering "Werewolf rape gang bangs""

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I know Skin Game cops a lot of flack - some of it deservedly, but you know what? the parts were more good than bad imo.

But holy poo poo are the bad bits bad

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Xtanstic posted:

Yay new Verus. Time to reup my Audible membership.

Audiobook isn't out until 10/10

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm using Audible US and it's showing as a preorder due 10/10

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Nullset posted:

It looks like there are 2 versions on Audible, the one with that cover is from the UK.

UK - https://www.audible.com/pd/Fallen-Audiobook/0356511138
US - https://www.audible.com/pd/Fallen-Audiobook/197733783X

Title Not For Sale In This Country/Region
We're sorry, Audible is not authorized to sell this title in your country/region. Please consider another book.

Copyright laws strike again.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ah, Alex, no.
:(

The most recent book. I can't listen to this

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yep

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

For the person who was a bit put off by the Faust / Black books especially as they relate to a multiverse thing, I've been reading them in order via audiobook over the last few months, and I thought I'd share my thoughts.

- For the record I only just finished book 2 of the Wisdom's Grave Trilogy.

- The Revanche Cycle series is set entirely on an alternate universe planet, in what's basically NotItaly and covers the story of, and concept of some characters that will show up later. It's only important in so far as it introduces concepts that show up later, but is very much a stand alone trilogy.

- Do you need to read these? arguably no, but when these characters show up later in a different context you may be confused. I'd recommend it, given it has its own complete arc, and ends satisfactorily.

- The Faust books are good, the first one is weak, but starting with book 1.5, and on, it improves remarkably quickly. Don't skip any of these.

- Absolutely ignore the first two Harmony Black books. Not only are they weak, they're also completely skippable with no long term ramifications. The only thing you need to know from them is that Harmony is a part of an undercover government agency dedicated to fighting paranormal threats, and that her partner Jesse Temple is a lapsed servant of the King of Wolves - "The Kings" being a concept which will be introduced throughout the series.

- HB Book 3 is the only one (so far) that has any sort of movement / consequences / has any impact on the overall meta narrative, it's also substantially better written than books 1 & 2, so don't skip this.

- The Meta narrative stuff, cross worlds and the like is absolutely minimal until the start of the Wisdom's grave trilogy, the meta narrative is mentioned briefly and in passing in the later books (I think it's overall, Book 6 in the series where some of the concepts start to be introduced more directly), so if you're concerned that it's all across the entire series it's not, it's only in the later books.

- A lot of the writing is a joy to listen to, and the writing of what some of these characters can do using magic is utterly horrifying "Jade Glass"

I've enjoyed Schaeffer's work a lot on this so I'm keen to see how it pans out. I just hope that the Witch and her Knight have a happy ending, if only the once, but given how each book has been introduced so far and how book 2 ended... :smith:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Well, "Bring the Fire" is certainly going... places.
I've got about 5 hours of audiobook left.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

God I'm so glad that gently caress got what was coming to him.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Been chewing on the aftermath of "Bring the Fire" for a few days, and what it means from a meta level.

For one thing, it sounds like the thing that Caitlyn killed, that got her the moniker "Wingtaker" was not an angel. What the hell was it?

real glad about the outcome for old mate Mr Wannabe President Him basically trying to outfox Kalisto by saying he'd invested too much to actually collect on his contract was great - it made him too cocky and made Kalisto sit down, reflect on what Caitlyn was telling him and realise, yknow what? my pride is getting a lot of people killed and ruining my rep, I'll take the loss and move on with rebuilding my life. I hosed up, but at least I'm not dead.

The only thing I'm angry about is that Nyx didn't get what was coming to her, she's so far overdue for a proper comeuppance it's not funny.

And lastly, I'm glad both Daniel and Harmony seem to be not at each other's throat anymore, and have some capacity to work together now.

To say nothing of the happy ending for The Witch and her Knight.
Well, happyish - the story is broken, because Nessa's basically god now, or at the absolute very minimum stronger than any single one of the kings.

I hope she succeeds in cleansing the shadow inbetween in order to make magic more common, it might make Daniel a more gifted magician rather than being reliant solely on card tricks.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F17zuaRJG0U

here's the trailer if no one's seen it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Everyone posted:

As for the Hunger, I got the impression that the Hunger was semi-autonomic. As a human, if you put enough willpower and focus into it, you could potentially starve yourself to death or die of thirst by refusing food and water. But you can't suffocate yourself like that. Hold your breath long enough, and you'll release it and inhale. Figure once the Hunger gets intense enough, it takes control and eats until it's full.

that's precisely the explanation bob gives at the start of book 6.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rashid is middle eastern

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Sanya lives in Russia.

It's Jason Lamar*, the EMT from Dead Beat, and Rawlins, Murphy's 3rd partner. That is, as far as I can tell and i just double checked the wiki, the entire named black population of Dresden Chicago.

*There is another EMT named Reg Lamar in the Butters short story, because Butcher probably forgot that guy's first name.

Sanya is black. It's a big part of why he became a denarian in the first place - the isolation of being one of the very few in Russia and how he was treated by people.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Everyone posted:

Let's not forget about Warden Luccio, either. While mental manipulation was part of it, she and Harry were lovers for a while, so her acting against him would also be very much a betray as well. I'm wondering if we'll get some focus on Ancient Mai and Martha Liberty. I don't recall that Liberty has had so much as a spoken line in the series yet, and she's a member of the Senior Council.

Martha had a big part in book 4, and is generally considered to be a Dresden ally, as she's voted with Mccoy in support of Dresden a few times.

Ancient Mai is generally a Dresden opponent / has voted with the Merlin against him on a few occasions but did come out in support of Dresden by proxy around the end of Proven Guilty (or whatever the Morgan focused one was) by confirming that with Mouse being a Fu Dog, his word was without question.

I'm far more likely to buy a betrayal from Ramirez, who knows just enough to be dangerous, and approached Dresden of his own accord to "confirm" Dresdens theory of there being a Black Council.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I've been relistening to the dresden series and I just finished changes.

The denouement of that book is something else, Marsters does a loving incredible job.