Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
You could probably add Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series to the "what else to read"-section. Very similar to Harry Dresden, in style, tone and setting, except Alex Verus is a Diviner (can tell the future with some limitations) in - where else? - London, he has basically no combat abilities except running away, hiding really well, throwing things very accurately (it helps if you can tell where your throws would land). Ex-Dark Mage, who gave up being dark once he realised what a shitshow it is, but also not very popular with Light Mages... As said, very similar to Harry Dresden.

It also comes recommended by Jim Butcher himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pham Nuwen posted:

I enjoy reading the Dresden books but I don't admit that to people I know. :v:

I'm old enough to not give a poo poo what people think about what I'm reading, watching or listening to.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Russad posted:

It's also not really all that different from how Harry himself operates.

"Sorry, I can't help you find your friend Lily."

"I will pay you triple your daily rate."

"Oh, golly, yeah, I will definitely look for her!"

That's called Capitalism, if you don't like it go back to Russia China Cuba North Korea, Comrade. :colbert:

And yeah, what Marcone is doing is exactly how he would have to act according to Feudalism, which is probably the basis for the Unseelie Accords.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

just_a_guy posted:

Asking for recommendations now.
I read and like Dresden files, Rivers of London, Alex Verus, Libriomancer (weird nimph implications aside on that one) and even the Iron Druid (They have slipped yes but i still find them fun and I believe the latest one was an improvement.

It's not exactly Urban Fantasy, since it doesn't take place in our world, but it has the same feel to it: Max Gladstone's Craft Sequence is really great. Every book features different protagonists (which tend to come up as side characters or even antagonists in other books), and they are really well written, regardless of gender (which is partly very fluid in the first place in this world). I think it was recommended a few pages ago, which I can only second.

Also features skeleton mages heading law firms if that's your thing.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wolpertinger posted:

I know that he was pushing the whole idea of freedom of speech and all that for writing, but libriomancers are scary, and the idea that anyone could pull a nuclear bomb, or a super-virus from the worst sci-fi hell, or god knows what else out of a book makes me sort of sympathize with the whole reactionary backlash from governments proposing restrictions on what sort of horrible doomsday weapon you write into your fiction. Honestly, it'd kind of suck - every time anyone writes a book they have to consider that they could be creating the next nuclear bomb if their book becomes a bestseller.

You only need someone pulling out a Von Neumann machine/Grey Goo and the universe is hosed. Yeah, Gutenberg/Isaac? locking your D&D books might be annoying, but some poo poo has to be controlled/restricted.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

General Emergency posted:

I've been reading Sandman Slim and... Does the protagonist ever get less of a twat? His superedgy bullshit is really grating and I'll probably just drop it if he doesn't improve later.

No, he doesn't get better. If that's a deal-breaker (which is completely understandable) you better drop the series, because if anything gaining more power just means he can be more of a twat to more and more powerful people. And I say this as someone who likes the series.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I wasn't very impressed with The Annihilation Score, and I usually love the Laundry series.

First, it was so very incredibly obvious that Jim was working for the bad guys/was a plant (what his motivation was in the end never gets quite clear). There are 6 (7 with Lector) people that are more than a background sketch in the book, of which only 3 could be hiding bad intentions - and since we just had a bad guy in the upper echelons of the Laundry only 2 are left, and Ramona/The Deep Ones was pretty much a non-starter in this regard, since they were set up as not-the-usual-bad-guy-fish-monsters a few books back, although the idea that the Deep Ones want to end the threat by simply removing the problem - humans - would have been an interesting one. For the 10 minutes it would take this apparent super-superpower to remove humanity.

Mo (and Bob in the book before) not noticing that there are superheros running around - publicly - for at least six months. That's something that would make huge waves in media and even bigger ones in the Laundry. But no, apparently it's complete news to Mo.

The "middle aged women are invisible"-thing was incredibly clumsy and reeked of "I've read that interesting article about it some time ago, time to make it a statement!". And then she even develops a superpower that's just that. Mo in general. Falling for the hunk who is a plant, struggling with her marriage and how to bring her love life and her professional life together. Having to work with her husbands exes and bonding with them over after work wine. Caring about her clothes all the time. Cliche after cliche with nearly no subversion. At times I felt like reading Bridget Jones. Or maybe I'm just too harsh because I read Lindsey Davies do a similar setup much, much better recently and just came off Bujold's Chalion books, both who feature more interesting and better written female protagonists?

Mo basically does nothing in the book. The Freudstein thing gets solved by the bad guys spilling the beans to her, not because they put up any effort into an investigation. The metro station thing is basically put on the backburner with a shrug until Jim tells her what it is, and even then she doesn't act on the information or puts 1+1 together. She and her team stumble around in the dark the whole book, lead by the leash of Jim and Lector and nudged by the SA. And she makes no real effort to get some answers.

The whole Freudstein plan on the other hand relies on so many variables that all have to be just right to work in any way. I can only assume that it's deliberate by Charles Stross to resemble a bad superhero villain plot. It relies on Mo getting that SHIELD-director gig, her accepting Jim joining, her lugging Lector to where it is needed, her being put under the Home Secretary, her going to the Proms with her violin and the geas, that nobody ever has seen in action, working just right the way it is needed. Apparently Lector put the ideas into the head of the police when she was meeting with them (said Stross on his blog) - but at that time the whole plot had to be in motion for months, so it's impossible that Lector is somehow the originator of the plan for the false-flag operation.

Mo having been hit with a dumb ray. She ignores all hints and clues, she trusts Jim, who is so obviously a plant, she ignores everything suspicious and disturbing and manages not to tell that things to the SA. Jim running around in a BLUE HADES tech suit by way of police contractors? Jim lying about how long he's doing the gig? Lector dreaming with her with just the musical score that has been stolen? A metro station disappearing? Freudstein obviously having the resources of a police force available? No problem, no follow up. The Mandate showing to be a danger to national security? Let him walk out of the office, basically no follow up, like looking through CCTV footage, forgotten until he appears in Downing Street. And the Mandate in general. Really? A clumsy Tony-Blair-as-supervillain? I expected more from Stross.

The Geas made the least sense to me. A Deputy Superintendent (lower on the totem pole in the Home Secretary branch than Mo) compelling her because she has a letter from the minister? Even if her Laundry geas transferred with her nominal and fake transfer to a different organization, it seems odd that it works for what boils down a brigadier commanding around what is basically the director of UK-SHIELD, one rung below the minister herself. Also, "nice letter, get your supers call my supers confirming the order, than we can talk about me summoning Piss King" seemed an obvious out of the whole thing.

But the whole thing was unnecessary at all, since the SA knew who the opposition was and it would have been incredible easy to set them a trap if they informed Mo and worked with her. I hope that was again Stross trying to set the whole thing up like a bad comic book.

And the abrupt ending with no resolutions (two weeks later and we don't even get a mention about how the whole thing influenced her relationship with Bob?) didn't help either to make me like the book more. Same with the retcons (Bob is immune from K-syndrome since TFM). BTW, is she now exposed to K-syndrome with a superpower and no Lector protecting her?

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 12, 2015

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Khizan posted:

Heroes are almost always reactive, villains are almost always proactive. It's just the nature of the beast.

I'd not have an issue if the steps the protagonist takes are ineffective or the investigation doesn't turn up much, but in TAS the protagonist (admittedly the whole book is a long nervous breakdown) and her team (not in the middle of a nervous breakdown) don't really mount an investigation or take any real follow-up steps to the villains actions. Even if some new evidence or information turns up it's mostly ignored/laid aside until the bad guy takes her to the office and tells her "look, that's our stupid plan, and that's how we will accomplish it, here are all the clues you ignored throughout the book".

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Azuth0667 posted:

Wait what?

His was married to Shannon K. Butcher, who is an author of romance novels. Although I'd guess she would have improved on the cringeworthy scenes a bit.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wait, is Mirror Mirror the next one?

Peace Talks is the next one AFAIK.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wheat Loaf posted:

is that something that happens in a subsequent novel?

Laundry-series spoiler:
Yes, it happens at the end of Rhesus Chart and goes very deep into it in Apocalypse Index. The separation is a complex story thread.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Finished the Aeronaut's Windlass and liked it well enough, far less steampunk than I feared it would be (and reasonable explanations for the steampunk tropes and gimmicks used) and even the cat thing wasn't bad. However, he runs into the same problem all books set in a (faux) Regency era with wooden ships (or their flying crystal-powered equivalent): They have to compare to Patrick O'Brian and Jane Austen for me and there aren't many writers who can favorably. Still, good enough to continue reading the series.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Slanderer posted:

I have no loving clue what this post is getting at.

Anyway, Charles Stross is a probably a dweeb who considered himself a Tech Savant for installing Linux back in the early 2000s when he wrote the Atrocity Archives, and it bleeds through to his writing in the book. I can honestly imagine him writing it in Vim in his cubicle at work, ignoring whatever computer janitorial duties he was employed to do.

His knowledge back then goes a bit deeper than that, he was part of a start-up programming payment back ends back when that stuff was still pretty arcane poo poo.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Daric posted:

Yeah, I just caught up on the Iron Druid, Rivers of London, and the Libriomancer series and all 3 have new books coming out soon so I got lucky there. I started the first Daniel Faust book last night and can't put it down so I'm glad there's already 5 out.

Also, the kindle version being less than a dollar was great.

A propos Libriomancer and Kindle - why the gently caress is there no Kindle version of the new book yet? I'm not buying a hardcover at 19 €/17 $. I don't have the space nor would I pay that much money for what I consider a fun, but second tier series.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wade Wilson posted:

Just posting a quick PSA that the latest Iron Druid and Libriomancer books are worth getting if you can get them cheap.

I'm baffled Revisionary still isn't available for Kindle in Europe:

What's up with that? Even getting the hardcover seems to be a hassle. Earlier books were basically day-and-date with the US version.

Decius fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 3, 2016

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

tentacles posted:

Huh. I'm curious, are there books out there where sex isn't cringeworthily handled? I may have to admit defeat in the face of your authority in this aspect of gritty post-modern urban literature

Many outside of of genre fiction. Bujold for example if you ask for genre writing (genre being SF in general).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

orange sky posted:

Guys, I've read all the Dresden books and I need something like it to just shut my brain off and have a lot of fun reading. Any suggestions?

I'm currently reading through the Kate Daniels books by Ilona Andrews, because I wanted something with a female protagonist for a change (without going into the paranormal romance part of the genre too much), and they are very entertaining and well written and plotted. Its setting of Atlanta in 2040, after magic started to come back in a big way (making large parts of technology useless at times) is unusual for a genre that's mostly set in London of <current year>. The covers are terrible Paranormal Romance fare, but I don't have to see them on a Kindle, so I don't care that much.

Otherwise the already named Alex Verus, Daniel Faust, Rook are great. Sandman Slim and Bobby Dollar are pretty good too, although a bit same-y. Max Gladstone's Craft cycle is really great, but it falls more under general fantasy set in cities than UF I guess. Still, something I'd recommend to check out.

Decius fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 29, 2016

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

jivjov posted:

Just launched into my quasi-annual re-read of Dresden. Man the first book has a very different feel than the rest. I don't know exactly how to articulate it, but I can totally feel the evolution (or de-evolution; given that I just re-read Aeronaut's Windlass) of Butcher's style

It's very noticable it's his first book basically. It reads like badly written fanfiction at this point, and Butcher isn't exactly the best wordsmith on the planet even at the height of his writing. Personally I only listen to the Audio Books of the early books any more, Marsters makes the bad prose a lot more bearable.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ImpAtom posted:

I think the last book is weak in some ways (largely the primary mystery) but the sense of impending dread throughout the series is really excellent and the last scene in the last book is tremendously haunting.

I found the first book the best, since it was still trying to do a criminal investigation in the face of the end of the world. The other two books weren't about being the Last Policeman still doing his job (especially the third one), which - while understandable - made them weaker in my eyes. Still really good books.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

aers posted:

The UK Kindle version of Stiletto appears to have come out 2 weeks early.

Yeah, it appeared on my Kindle today. Oddly enough it was a version that is no longer sold on Amazon Germany (and cheaper than what you can still buy), the pre-order two years or so ago really paid off in this case!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

newts posted:

Can anyone recommend any good werewolf-related novels? I'm just getting burned out trying to search on Amazon and only finding Sexy Alpha Werewolf crap. I don't mind a bit of romance, but I'm not really into paranormal romance. There must be something out there...

I've read the Pax Arcana series already, TIA!

I really love the Kate Daniels books. It goes a bit more romance-y around book 7 or so, but killing poo poo/solving the mystery is always the main drive. It does have a sexy Alpha though. It's just a Werelion. Also gay Wererat-Alphas. The greatest boon is that most of the supernatural stuff isn't you typical Christian/Fae-stuff, but Slavic, Russian, Greek, Arabic, Jewish/Mesopotamian and a dash of Norse.
The Mercy Thompson books are interesting too. I'm on my way through the first one at the moment, so I can't speak for all of the series, and how much it stays about Werewolves (since she's a Native American Coyote skinwalker, who was brought up by Werewolves), but currently it is front an center. Does include the sexy Alpha and the sexy son of an Alpha though. And badly researched German phrases. ;)
Despite the covers both series aren't super romance-y, more adding some healthy doses of the genre into "normal" UF. Still, this year's Goodreads reading challenge looks like that of a Twentysomething woman...

In other news...

Finished Stiletto, and found it really good, although not quite as good as The Rook. It's noticeable, that the book was quite a struggle for O'Malley. It does miss a bit because we aren't in Myfanwy's mind very often, which always provided a lot of fun in The Rook, but the two added characters turn out very well after the initial disappointment, even if not quite as entertaining. Maybe a bit slow as a book overall, but that's something I actually enjoy, although two things seem a bit pointless/drawn out Crystal Guy and the whole thing in Scottland with the monsters in the church. I only guessed 1/3 of the main mystery, which is good enough for me in such a book.

Also, I hope we will see more of Ernst von Suchtlen in the future, he's a pretty interesting secondary character.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 14, 2016

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wade Wilson posted:

I finished Stilletto last night and while it was an enjoyable read, I'm a bit aggravated that Gestalt was used as any sort of plot device in this one.

Yeah, that was a bit disappointing, especially since that was one part of the mystery I basically sniffed out the first time the blonde, female, much-too-friendly Pawn was described hanging around in the lobby. The description of the blond guy, vaguely familiar to Odette, knowing Myfanwy, clinched it. On the other hand I thought the Antagonist was either Frankenstein and his decedents (since he was mentioned as having been defeated somewhere in the Arctic by the Grafters), or the not so decreased co-founder/friend of Ernst.

Decius fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 16, 2016

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

tithin posted:

That was it yeah, the vampire one. Wait there was one about Mo? gently caress I must have missed that one!

Sadly it's not really his best book. Mostly because for the story to work it had to have Mo basically be at her worst mentally, which might be an interesting and realistic concept, but not an entertaining read in a series that is in itself a comedy in large parts.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The Violin and the Eater of Souls are at fault. Without either they wouldn't have any relationship issues. And of both the Violin is even more at fault, because he tricks/mind controls Mo into infidelity in her dreams/mind, which one also could classify as mind rape, which in turn makes her beat herself up the whole book. Also he tries to murder Bob.

And Stross can call Mo all the strong woman adjectives, and he is correct if Mo is in normal circumstances, but that doesn't change that it is a book with a PTSD suffering main character, who simply is unlikable in the book and acts flat-out stupid. Making your only POV unlikable for a full book and making her far more stupid than the reader (even I could solve the mystery by the first third of the book and I'm not really very good at this usually) makes the book less enjoyable, especially for a series that is at its heart still a comedic farce. Which can be salvaged by making the story an interesting one, but that wasn't really the case with The Annihilation Score either.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 28, 2016

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Grimson posted:

My point is that Mo isn't particularly nasty, just under stress

Absolutely. And there are many, many female protagonist who are written as strong, assertive characters without veering into "bitchy". Same as there are many strong assertive male protagonists that don't veer into "dick" territory too much (most male characters are dicks from time to time, because being so is more forgiven for men, even seen as positive trait).
Stross just did the character of Mo no favour by introducing us to her POV during a time where she was simply a bad character because she was in a bad place. Understandably bad, since she was basically suffering a mental breakdown throughout the book, but it is still something that makes the book simply a less enjoyable read. A better writer probably would have managed to make you not despise/pity Mo during the book, but Stross isn't that writer, as much as I like his stuff. He tried something new and interesting, but basically failed at it- for me at least. The same story written by - for example - Bujold - that might have worked.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
This is the Spire thread too. Also for a Steampunk branded book there was surprisingly little steam engine/cogs everywhere! stuff in it, it was mostly magic crystals.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
For Alex Verus, Jacka clearly had to remove/weaken some things from the after the first book, to make him far less powerful. The tame Air Elemental was one of them, and not even the most overpowered one.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Xtanstic posted:

Yeah for sure. When he got rid of it I understood why he was doing it. I can't remember the other things that got eventually written out, can you remind me?

The artefacts in general, most of all his invisibility cloak that got the severe downside of draining your life if you use it too often or too long in a retcon. Since he has no real abilities outside prediction unlike elemental mages he could rely a lot more on all of this in the first books, because I guess Jacka thought he needed some edge against the far stronger mages. Then Jacka realized how incredibly powerful his ability alone already is if taken through. However he showed pretty well that even that can be useless in certain cases in the last book.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wade Wilson posted:

I've read Dresden, Rivers of London, Iron Druid (shudder), Felix Castor, Alex Verus, Sandman Slim, Daniel Faust, Twenty Palaces and now the Laundry Files. What's next that won't make me cringe at how terrible the writing is?

The Craft Sequence gets brought up a lot here, even if it is not quite the typical Urban Fantasy with a down-on-his/her-luck investigator in a contemporary city. It is very good however. I also devoured the Kate Daniels series this year, your enjoyment might depend on how much you like some sprinkles of Romance novels (and a female protagonis) in your manly UF. Definitely Pax Arcana should be something you'd enjoy though.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Daphnaie posted:

I'd rather what's going on with Lesley to not be drawn out too much longer too, because you're right, I'm not sure why she's still loyal to the Faceless Man at this point. I was also admittedly disappointed by the reveal that Lesley got her magic from Mr Punch. The idea that she taught herself lux over the course of the second book was so cool; that she got magic as a consolation prize for being mind raped rather than her own effort left a sour taste in my mouth.

Did she? Peter said early in the book that there is no innate magic ability. Everyone can become a mage, they just need to apply the forma and train, train, train. I thought Mr Punch is "just" in her head somewhat guiding her for his own goals.

Daphnaie posted:

I agree about it being a bit odd Nightingale hadn't heard of the ancient Italian(?) wizards. It'd have made more sense if he'd heard of them, but not the mother-daughter off shoot Lady Helena belongs too..

Yeah, that's what bothered me too a bit. 500 years of tradition would be noted down somewhere in their archives, even if you want to chalk down suppressing the tradition to patriarchy. Especially since Helena clearly had many contacts in the supernatural London underground, the same Nightingale and Peter frequent constantly. But, he isn't the first author to flesh out and retcon early worldbuilding to make the world and story bigger and meatier.

Really liked the book, lots of fun, decent overarching story development (although I read the books more for the "case of the book" than for it), interesting new characters.

Decius fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 2, 2016

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Good steampunk is universally militantly political, usually militantly Marxist, or at least Dickensian--mieville, or Iron Dragons Daughter.

The trick everyone misses about writing about the Victorian era is you can't romanticize it. you need the work houses and poverty and class war and exploitation and opium dens and black lung, or its just playing dress up.

People like to forget that in the Victorian time less than 20 % were "Middle Class" (ie still have to work, but overall rather well-off, owned more than the clothes on their backs, could buy useless poo poo), 5 % who didn't need to work for their income, 1 % was super rich and the other 75 % lived somewhere between a slum dweller/garbage collector in India, a subsistence farmer in Bangladesh and a migrant worker in a Chinese sweat shop.
If your time traveling heroine stranded there she would be a lot more likely to pick dog poo poo out of the horse manure on the street to sell it to a tanner than host fancy tea parties for Queen Victoria on her airship.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

biracial bear for uncut posted:

$5 says freeing Mr. Punch is going to take Leslie's magic away.

The last book stated that doing magic has nothing to do with being someone special or some born-in ability for humans. Everyone can learn it, it's just a way of thinking and training, training, training.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dienes posted:

Nope - it was the philosophy prof talking about regular academia before she knew about the whole eldritch math thing.

This here?

quote:

“Oh, it was a natural progression. In Edinburgh I was working on inferential reasoning. When I got the job in Arkham I started out doing more of the same, but the belief systems field has been undersubscribed for years, and it seemed like a good place to stake my claim, especially given the interesting closed archives in their stacks: Arkham has a really unique library, you know? I began publishing papers, and that’s about when the poo poo began happening inside the department. Maybe it was departmental politics, but now I’m beginning to wonder.”
“They’ve got long tentacles, not to mention other nameless organs. It would help if I could see the documents you signed.”
“They’re at the office. I can go in and pick them up later.” We’re on a steep slope now, going uphill and I’m breathing hard. Mo has long legs and evidently walks a lot. Exercise or habit?
“Your research,” I say. “You’re certain it’s not about any specific military applications?” I know immediately that I’ve made a mistake. Mo stops and glares at me.
“I’m a philosopher, with a sideline in folk history,” she hisses angrily. “What do you take me for?”
“I’m sorry.” I take a step back. “I’ve got to make sure. That’s all.”
“I shan’t be offended then.” I get a creepy feeling that she means exactly what she says. “No. It’s just, I’m certain—no, positive, in the exact meaning of the word—that it’s not that. A calculus of belief, a theory for deriving confidence limits in statements of unsubstantiated faith, can’t have any military applications, can it?”
“Did you say faith?” I ask, hot and cold chills running up and down my spine. “Specifically, you can analyse the validity of a belief, without—” I stop. “Let’s not get too technical without a whiteboard, hmm?” “Faith can mean several things, depending on who uses the word,” I say. “A theologian and a scientist mean different things by it, for example. And ‘unsubstantiated’ has a dismayingly technical ring to it. But let’s take a hypothetical example. Suppose I assert that I believe in flying pigs. I haven’t seen any, but I have reason to believe that flying peccaries, a related species, exist. You’re saying you could place confidence limits on my belief? Quantify the probability of those porcine aviators existing?

Pretty sure the meaning of "don't publish too much" here isn't what you interpret it as.

Decius fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 7, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm not familiar. However I recognize the name of one of her other books, Bright of the Sky. I vaguely remember it as getting highly praise.

I quite liked the Entire and the Rose series when I read it a couple of years ago. Very interesting blend of Science Fiction and Fantasy, some romance novel influences too. Not very heavy on action or quick-paced though.

16 GBP/19 € seems however an incredibly steep price for an eBook.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ConfusedUs posted:

Nice job selling me on it, man. Real glowing recommendation there.

Anyone else want to second that it's terrible but popular?

It's pretty good actually. The main character isn't overpowered (he isn't even the strongest in his group of friends) and not getting stronger book for book like Dresden, the world building is inventive in large parts, the love relationship isn't some unhealthy pining "G'Day ma'am" bullshit, but quite grown-up. Women aren't treated as objects or damsels, the writing is fun and fast-paced, the villains bastards without it veering into grim-dark. The werewolves aren't some Alpha-glorifying bullshit, the vampires aren't sexy, elves (which are offscreen) are utter assholes. The reason for the hidden Supernatural world is set-up well and the main conflict of the series so far.

Decius fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 22, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

torgeaux posted:

I find him a genuinely likeable and believable character. The ding on him not being ambitious is true at the start, but his curiousity about how magic works, his scientific approach, including his clumsy but fruitful experimentation is a nice, realistic touch.

Same, I like him a lot. He is however not the most effective protagonist in "getting poo poo done" and maybe that's what people don't like? Basically they wish he was Nightingale instead of Rookie Police Magician First Year.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I'm currently on a Seanan McGuire's October Daye series bender (I think someone here is friends with her?) Book one is pretty rough (not as rough as Dresden book 1 though), but drat, by book three it's incredibly gripping and well written. The growth in writing ability is really astonishing. Main character not overpowered, no male gaze (since the main character is a woman written by a woman you at best get some descriptions of various hunks), quite funny at times, very cruel at others. You must like Faerie stuff however, since that's all it is about.

Pax Arcana is another I really like a lot. It's however not outstandingly great prose, but it is good genre standard and quite fun. Main character is interesting and with a more realistic outlook on life than Dresden & Co - he feels a lot more like someone who has lived for 80 years than most "old" protagonists in UF, again the character is not overpowered and the writing isn't very male gaze-y (no more than having a male main character requires). World building is interesting and fun, the sex and relationship stuff refreshingly adult and low-key. You must be able to stand Werewolf stuff however (although well constructed Werewolf stuff, that's not at all about Alpha-worshipping like far too many series are).

And if you really like well written, well constructed and extremely interesting there is of course the Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone. It's not really UF, since it isn't set in Our World + Hidden Supernatural, but in a fantasy setting, where Necromants and Gods battle it out on the Dead Man's Land of High Financing (the currency is basically Souls). Nor has it a central protagonist, but every few books follow people in a certain city. However, it has many elements of it, and it is so worth it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Writers whose works are worth reading, then. Anybody that continues a series after the original author dies is a hack.

He was asked to do it by his widow/editor. Also, calling someone else a hack in the Dresden thread? We all love our urban fantasy, but it's not exactly high brow Literature.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

That really isn't any different from a family member doing it themself (like all the other cases of lovely sequels/prequels of series that ended because the original author died).

Jordan's wish was for someone to finish it. If that's enough for you to dismiss someone, your loss.

quote:

You might want to keep in mind that my previous post about Butcher was a criticism.

Oh, that makes it alright then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

JFYI this book dropped today for Kindle readers.

US is out today, Europe on Thursday.