Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I posted Old Heaven Hill back on the first page. That poo poo literally tastes exactly like Jack Daniels and is eight dollars a bottle. This coming from someone who drank a fifth or more of Jack every day for a solid year and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Leperflesh posted:

Jack Daniels is worth keeping on hand so that guests who want to mix whiskey with coke or something can do so with a cheap bourbon and not your good stuff.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The price-to-quality ratio of Evan Williams really can't be overstated. Especially if you're mixing it, but it's still as good or better than Jack for 10 bucks less.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
calvin's classmates, all in unison: JACK DANIELS ISNT BOURBON!!!!

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Urine

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like Jack Daniels honey whiskey.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Ginette Reno posted:

I like Jack Daniels honey whiskey.

woops, double post

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Kidney Stone posted:

This, this is the best:

Scapa is great, and if I could find a place in Seattle that regularly stocked it I would be much happier.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

This with Pepsi Max

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Haverchuck posted:

calvin's classmates, all in unison: JACK DANIELS ISNT BOURBON!!!!

Yeah. And I can also buy a bottle of california-made sparkling white whine which definitely can't be called champagneTM.

Jack Daniels is officially Non-Bourbon American Bourbon-Style Tennessee Whiskey I guess. Because of the Lincoln County Process. Because NAFTA says so. Blah blah blah.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Everday use Bourbon: Buffalo Trace or Bulleit
Special Occasion Bourbon: Angel's Envy or Blanton's
Rye: Bulleit
Canadian: Crown Royal or Pendleton
Irish: Tullamore Dew or Jameson
Blended Scotch: JW Black or Dewar White
Single Malt: Macallan or Glenmorangie or Lagavulin
Moonshine: Ole Smokey

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. And I can also buy a bottle of california-made sparkling white whine which definitely can't be called champagneTM.

Jack Daniels is officially Non-Bourbon American Bourbon-Style Tennessee Whiskey I guess. Because of the Lincoln County Process. Because NAFTA says so. Blah blah blah.

The legal definition of Bourbon includes Jack Daniel's. It's a majority corn spirit aged in charred oak barrels. You just don't call it Bourbon, because it makes you look dumb in front of whiskey nerds, and Tennessee Whiskey makers prefer you to call it Tennessee Whiskey. They're very proud of the Lincoln County Process for some reason.

VvVvVvVvV It would preclude it from the Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey standards, besides obviously not being from Kentucky. That's the definition that people informally attribute to the solitary term "Bourbon". It's definitely more strict than the Federal definition. That sort of common knowledge is going to change as the distilling boom in the U.S. continues, and more distillers put their own spin on Bourbon.

Clitch fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 24, 2014

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Clitch posted:

The legal definition of Bourbon includes Jack Daniel's. It's a majority corn spirit aged in charred oak barrels. You just don't call it Bourbon, because it makes you look dumb in front of whiskey nerds, and Tennessee Whiskey makers prefer you to call it Tennessee Whiskey. They're very proud of the Lincoln County Process for some reason.

now here I was thinking that the lincoln county process precluded its definition as bourbon, as bourbon wasnt supposed to undergo a filtration of that nature

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

im drunk ofn fireball right now, therefore its fireball op.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

MacAllan and Highland Park are my absolute favorites but Evan Williams is what I buy, cause it's pro-tier bourbon for a scrub-tier price. I'm also partial to Johnnie Walker Red because Christina Hendricks.
Sadly HP is going Macallan's way w/ regards to pricing, and soon probably quality too. HP18 is a great, great, whisky but the price tag is now £100 compared to around £75 for Bunna 18 or Laphro 18 which sucks.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Deleuzionist posted:

Sadly HP is going Macallan's way w/ regards to pricing, and soon probably quality too. HP18 is a great, great, whisky but the price tag is now £100 compared to around £75 for Bunna 18 or Laphro 18 which sucks.

if you like islays really p much every single malt of any age is a worse value proposition than laphroaig (not that I'd exclusively drink it)

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

eSports Chaebol posted:

if you like islays really p much every single malt of any age is a worse value proposition than laphroaig (not that I'd exclusively drink it)

Bowmore's still about the same price, though it's quite a bit less peaty than Laphroaig. That being said, I still really enjoy Bowmore 12. I think my next Islay will be their 15 year old sherry cask.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

i don't agree. laphroaig cs is amazing value/quality but otherwise the distillery doesn't shine any brighter than the others. there's bunnahabhain 18, and ardbeg ten and uigeadail & corryvreckan, and lagavulin 16 is ok too. caol ila produces amazing young single casks, and old whisky from caol ila beats anything laphroaig over 20yo by a mile, so no reason to stick to one distillery exclusively. only thing i don't get is current 12, 15 & 18yo bowmores. they're just boring.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

nah Bowmore 15 is really good, it manages to be really peaty and really sherryey at the same time and is a really fun drink. The 18's pretty boring. Like, it's a good whisky i guess, it's just not interesting to drink so it doesn't get dranked

I inherited a bottle of 15 and a bottle of 18 when my girlfriend's dad died, he got a set of three bottles for his birthday and only made it through the 12 :mrgw:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I moved several years ago and was given a bottle of the bowmore 15 and 18. Both were good but neither were definitively different enough from the 12 imo, so I just buy the twelve.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Old Overholdt

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Laiphroig (sp?) is my favorite. Its a tad salty and tastes like the earth.

Glenfiditch isnt bad either.

Jamesons for everything else.

SqueePower
May 25, 2006
tube
Soiled Meat
Macallan or Aberlour. Glen Breton Ice for something unique: single malt whisky aged in barrels that held ice wine.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Deleuzionist posted:

loving christ

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Caol Ila. Peated goodness

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
glenfarclas is one of my favorites and its still reasonable

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Pappy van winkle 23 year family reserve end thread now.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Connemara Irish whiskey is also pretty amazing stuff

smooth like a Jamaican dude reading a station ID for the smoothest of all smooth jazz stations

stoicheian
Aug 10, 2007

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

the 40 proof kind from the corner store is good especially chilled in a puddle next to my car which I live in

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Bishop posted:

Pappy van winkle 23 year family reserve end thread now.

Go away.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Drinking McClelland's Highland at the moment, it's not bad, I like it more than the 12 yr Chivas (which I think is the bottom shelf Chivas).

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Blue Label + Diet Mtn. Dew

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Connemara Irish whiskey is also pretty amazing stuff

smooth like a Jamaican dude reading a station ID for the smoothest of all smooth jazz stations

This is like the second post of yours in the thread I've said "yup" about, are we gay lovers now?

Im a poer top ok

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Viruswithshoes posted:

Caol Ila. Peated goodness

I really, really like Caol Ila. My lagavullin 16 is for special, but I've been through a whole bottle of Caol Ila in the time it's taken me to get through maybe a third of a bottle of all my other bottles (which is I guess like 8? bottles) of scotch. Even though I think my Aberlour Abu'nadh and my Lagavullin 16 are "better" I tend to save them for special because they're special, whereas I can always get another bottle of Caol Ila for not too much cash.

So yeah Caol Ila.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
For the Whiskey fans try Redbreast 12.

It still contains that creaminess generally associated with Whiskey but is a lot smoother than Jamesons or Tullamore Dew.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
fyi jamesons is garbage for foreigns

The Vagabond
Aug 4, 2006

Have bindle will travel

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

loving christ

I hosed up a little there bunna 18 don't cost much more than £65 (which is nice) but the HP price is real (£95 at their own webstore). In addition Douglas/Hunter Laing have apparently decided to squeeze out the last of their customers' disposable income. Crazy prices in both old malt cask and directors cut ranges for the past year or so, suddenly vintage Caol Ila costs like an Ardbeg while of course a vintage Ardbeg costs like a trip to the moon, €500 for a 1991 and g&m or some other big bottler followed suit with same year same price t:mad:tt:mad:tt:mad:tt:mad:t

quote:

Laphroaig Select is aged in a combination of Oloroso sherry butts, American white oak (we suspect some of this is virgin oak), hogsheads seasoned with Pedro Ximenez, quarter casks and first fill bourbon casks.
lol its tutti frutti finish

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 27, 2014

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
talisker motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
fyi people posting pictures of all of the *~*whiskey*~* they have are massive faggots

• Locked thread