Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

absolem posted:

TLM3101 posted:

I am seriously going to print this out and frame it on my wall as the clearest loving example of bougie, wanna-be radical and vacuuous pseudo-intellectual drivel. It's almost platonic in its perfection.

Fake edit: Aaaand now you're blaming poor people for the financial crisis. Holy poo poo. :stare:
Mind telling me how you decide what is moral or not? Because as far as I can tell, coercive acts are the only thing that is immoral.

Since this thread seems to be the best to answer this one in...

Good Citizen posted:

My moral system can be generalized as:
a) Treat others how I'd like to be treated
b) Try to make the world a better place for everyone, especially for the people who are really struggling

Pretty much this. Because I do have an obligation to my fellow human beings on this planet. Does it chafe me to know that some of my taxes are going to some 20-something rear end in a top hat who's decided that collecting unemployment-benefits from our generous welfare state while living with his parents is the bomb (full disclosure: Not an American. Norwegian)? Yeah, of course it does. However, if that is the price to pay for having a functioning social safety-net there if or when I or anyone else should need it, then you'd better believe I'm willing to pay it.

And, you know, it means that loafing kid isn't homeless and starving, which no-one should be forced to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

rudatron posted:

A well thought out moral system does not start with valuing things, it must value people first. Otherwise it is not the value system of a social creature, which human beings happen to be.

Which is also where libertarianism ( and the crazy ancap nonsense in particular ) falls utterly flat because it insists on valuing people only as things, commodifying every part of human interaction. Which is where I think you end up with the asinine idea that "murder, rape and stealing a dime are equally bad", as well as the perfect justification for the re-introduction of slavery, de-facto or de-jure, in one form or another that seems to be such a hallmark of libertarianism.

Not that this is a stunning new insight, but on the off-chance the OP is going to peek his head in again, I'm at least going to leave it here.

• Locked thread