Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Mr Interweb posted:

- Fiscal policy:
Reagan may have slashed taxes, but spending increased massively under his watch, mostly in defense. Reagan was a dick and he did cut several programs, but those cuts were more than made up in increases at the Pentagon and other areas Reagan would have favored. I would think this would act as a pretty big Keynesian stimulus. Also, too, the federal debt was tripled by the time he left office. Even if you agree that tax cuts create massive growth in jobs and revenue, etc. Republicans also argue that high spending wipes away any of the gains you would get from a tax cut. So what the hell?

Slash taxes and hike spending is pretty much the GOP policy. They talk about cutting spending and just assume you won't notice they're cutting a few million from spending on the poor and adding dozens of billions to our military spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Actually if you think about it the blacks did initiate force by existing in areas of economic value and furthermore *posts ten mises.org links*

Having something I want is initiating force against me and I am well within my rights to defend myself and remove the threatening situation.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Larch posted:

That's a gross misinterpretation of Rand's views. Personhood begins the moment you agree with absolutely every single one of Ayn Rand's opinions, and ends the moment you disagree with any of them.

Yeah, and besides that, actually working for a living pretty well discredits you as a person in Rand's eyes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

wiregrind posted:

Do AnCaps aknowledge / discuss anarchist communism? I know that they are disillusioned right wingers who handwave communism, but is there any argument / notion in AnCap discourse that refers to anarchist communism?

I wonder this because I'd think anarchy (as in no state/ruler, etc) and capitalism aren't even compatible in the first place; Why would you even need currency? Who would regulate it?
At least anarchist communism sounds like something that could exist in real life, like a tribal society or similar.
I can't believe Libertarians have such a vocal cult following being this flawed.

The best description of the ideology I've read was posted a few pages ago, saying that Libertarianism is just a tool for the right wing to make arguments up when they can't defend something like institutional homophobia or same-sex marriage discrimination.

Ancaps veer wildly, sometimes within the same sentence, between longing to be acknowledged as part of and a continuation of historical anarchism (and thus enjoying the historical legitimacy of a political tradition that predates the 50's) while also despising and denouncing actual anarchists as red scum. It's pretty funny, but it's also pretty sad.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

If the only source of information you had about ancaps and libertarians was what they tell people about themselves you'd find the hilariously high numbers of racists, misogynists, prolifers, and homophobes in both groups quite baffling!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I imagine it's close to 1:1 at this point, but if anyone here isn't reading Jrod's latest proselytizing thread, you're missing out as he's already teetering on the edge of meltdown and has challenged at least one thread participant to fight him in real life.

Link?

e: here it is

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Sovcits believe that your physical person is separate from your "legal person", and the linking of an actual person to their legal person is what they call "joinder". They believe that laws only apply to your legal person, not your physical person So if the judge asks "are you John Smith" and you answer in the affirmative then the judge has established joinder between the actual John Smith and the legal entity John Smith, and now he can start accusing you of breaking the law. But if you never admit to being associated with the legal entity "John Smith" then you can just say that you're not the legal entity but are merely representing the legal entity John Smith in court today and therefore never create joinder. Now the judge can list off whatever laws he wants and they can send the legal entity John Smith to prison for killing and eating all of those people but the physical John Smith gets to moonwalk out of the court room without any problems because joinder was never established :smug:

This is also why you see these doofuses writing out their names in goofy ways like "JOHN: of the family SMITH", because they think that it helps to separate their physical person from the legal entity "John Smith".

In the real world of law, joinder means linking two cases together; sovereign citizens love misusing terms

And for extra idiocy some sovcits believe that the government opens a bank account for each "legal entity" with millions of dollars in it, and if you say the right magic words then you can access those funds somehow. I don't know the specific line of bullshit reasoning behind this one but it's pretty funny nonetheless

The reasoning is that expecting me to pay my debts is a violation of my rights.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

And that really gets at the single biggest, funniest, saddest thing about SovCit nonsense, which is that it never loving works. And yet they keep at it anyway, confident that they understand a world which never, ever responds the way they think it will.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Here's a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyy9Vns4Ias

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Nolanar posted:

Changing your mind on anything ever is for chumps.

That's perfectly reasonable until you realize that they're basically relying on you not noticing this sentence:

quote:

It aims at knowledge valid for all instances in which the conditions exactly correspond to those implied in its assumptions and inferences.

...and taking its conclusions to apply to reality.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Ze Pollack posted:

The best part is that he's referencing Exalted: a game whose core conceit is "at any given time, 300 libertarian ubermensch multiplied by anime protagonists exist. The foundation of the civilized world is 'whenever one of these fuckers shows up, drop everything and murder them.' Because it's not a question of -if- they're going to gently caress everything they interact with up, it's a question of how long it's going to take them."

It's better than that, he's referencing Vampire, specifically the Paths of Enlightenment, inhuman codes of morality adopted by vampires who can't manage to maintain their humanity. Just like libertarians, vampires on Paths are completely incapable of pretending to be human beings and they always come off as predatory creeps who are evaluating whether or not to eat you.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

That is the most obvious satire.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The high tech stuff is just as much fantasy as the swords and demons.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

The bit where they shot a demon with an RPG-7 was pretty good.

Also that episode had Brian Thompson, one of film and television's underappreciated "big guy who looks like he's going to gently caress you up" actors.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

There should be a standardized metric that all Libertarians can be ranked by which is the maximum number of seconds they can talk before they reveal that they think rape and child molestation should be legal.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The only thing slave owners deserve in compensation for their slaves being freed is bullets.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

paragon1 posted:

Shootin's to good fer 'em. Use a sugarcane hatchet.

I know it sounds like a good idea but historically it ends with a high percentage of your GDP getting shipped to France for a century under threat of genocide.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

If anybody is wondering what the gently caress people are talking about, noted Good Podcast Revolutions just finished its series on the Haitan Revolution. Check out the start here, then listen to all the other ones.

I'm a particular fan of the fact that the only successful slave revolt in history resulted in a country that is now the poorest in its region. I'm sure that is a total and complete coincidence!

It was for over a century pretty much the policy of the white nations that Haiti must never succeed. No way in hell were we going to let a nation where the slaves had given the colonists what they deserved be seen to be prosperous and peaceful.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Libertarians don't give a gently caress about liberty, only about property. All their vaunted liberties they brag about supporting are just elaborations on "nobody can tell anybody what to do with their property".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

My favorite bad economics in a politics game is Tropico, which has the bizarre combination of having a mandatory command economy (the capitalists want you to set low wages for unskilled labor and high wages for skilled labor, not to let the market decide) while also not actually being able to compel anybody to actually do anything.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Do the later Tropicos let you actually tell people what to do? Because that would've made the game a lot better.

Also it would've been nice to be able to meaningfully murder political opponents- I got into a hole once while running as a harsh military/capitalist dictator, couldn't put off elections any longer without basically guaranteeing an armed uprising, and decided to simply have my opponent in the upcoming shot to death. The result? His replacement beat me even after I tried to rig the election and there was no option to refuse to peacefully cede power.

If you're gonna give me the tools of a strongman in a setting where strongmen are common, support the play style!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The only Heinlein I ever read was I Will Fear No Evil, which was pretty cringey.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

If I've learned anything it's that everything violates the NAP

Human society is by definition a violation of the NAP.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

WrenP-Complete posted:

Like he asked:

Isn't that basically the parable of the vineyard? Congratulations, you've created bot religion!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I say 75 Who is John Galts in the book, but I reserve the right, as a human being whose nature is to act in my own self-interest, to edit this post to reflect the right answer. These terms can unilaterally be changed at any time by me and by reading these words you agree that any disputes must be settled by an arbitration firm of my choosing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

IIRC the context is that you should love God more than your family and if they're not on board with doing the right thing, gently caress 'em.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

His 5-part essay "Christians in the Hands of an Angry God", which can be summarized as "conservative Christianity is literally Satan worship", is also worth reading.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I had to read that for a science fiction literature class

Wait, what?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

It was a class about post-apocalyptic literature, and it turns out that divine retribution is one of the big themes in that genre. We read that essay after reading A Canticle For Leibowitz by Miller and before reading The Genocides by Disch

Huh, best! I follow Brad Hicks on FB so I'll let him know- given he's a giant SF fan I imagine he'd be tickled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Look, just because every previous minimum wage hike has failed to cause the effects right wingers insist they must is no reason to believe that they're wrong about the next minimum wage hike.