Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

im gay posted:

What is the libertarian answer to environmental issues such as climate change that require international responses?

I have a friend in college who is a) a radical libertarian and b) a staunch environmentalist. His Facebook page is the weirdest mix of "end the income tax" and reminders to turn off the bathroom lights to save energy. The way he rationalized it to me is that pollution does damage to the property of others. Companies should be forced to pay for these externalities. I didn't delve further; no point in getting with a possibly heated argument with someone I was living with for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

tbp posted:

I don't see a lot of contradiction there to be honest.

Who is going to measure these externalities? Are they the enforcers or merely observers? If the latter, who actually enforces them? What about the fact that corporations can afford far better lawyers and experts that the people of some random small town who might be affected? What organization is going to be proactively testing how new technologies affect the environment, as opposed to simply reacting after things go wrong? And so on and so forth.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Tias posted:

I've really given up on defending the left-anarchist position here in DD because of the shrieking trot circlejerk that always ensue, but if you lot are serious, PM me. Otherwise, I can heartily recommend the anarchist FAQ: http://www.infoshop.org/AnAnarchistFAQ and the sublime 2-volume work Black Flame: The Revolutionary Class Politics of Anarchism and Syndicalism. More fleshed-out anarchist positions than you can shake a stick at, and probably better expresst than I am capable of.

If feel like if you're throwing around "trot" as an damning insult, or at all honestly, you need to take a step back. This isn't 1936 in the USSR, and the idea of D&D having a coherent, single ideology, let alone one as niche as Trotskyism is pretty absurd.

Edit: that was a little hostile. What I mean is, I and I'm sure other posters would be interested in learning about left anarchism, but when you dismiss us using a phrase unheard outside of Purge trials and the dumbest type of left wing factionalism, it's not very interesting.

Smiling Knight fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 26, 2014

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

That it's a curve and not a flat cliff is generally what people intend from the laffer curve. Also, that it peaks at like 30% and not 99%.

Please show data that support the assertion that the Laffer curve peaks around 30%. Economists around the world will be astounded.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Um, so if big wars of conquest can only be fought by a prior-existing State with a large tax base that can print money and monetize the debt then, uh, where did ISIL come from?

Indeed, I remember how Genghis Khan formed the largest land empire ever by reforming the Mongol tribes' banking system and decoupling the leading currency (horses) from the gold standard. Perhaps he learned from the example of Muhammad and his successors, who famously exploded out of the Arabian peninsula under unifying banner of "Low Interest Treasury Bonds!"

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

quote:

Left Progressivism has a LONG history of racism and supremacists attitudes, but I wouldn't imply that most progressives are racist because of the sordid history of the movement. If I were to pull up the quotes of everyone from Woodrow Wilson to FDR to Lyndon Johnson, you would be quite shocked to hear the sort of racism they casually used and the people they surrounded themselves used. Johnson in particular was well known to have regularly used the n-word in casual conversation.

In fact, Johnson uttered these words in 1963:

quote:
"These Negroes, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference... I'll have them niggers voting Democratic for the next two hundred years"

Like most libertarians, you are utterly ignoring the context. The key reason LBJ was able to get civil rights legislation passed when literally every other attempt since reconstruction had failed was because he was able to convince the Dixiecrats using phrasing like this. In this quotation, he was speaking to his friend, Richard Russel, the Giant of Georgia and commander-in-chief of senate segregationists, who had been thwarting civil rights laws for decades. What Johnson did was use his personal relationship and "in-group" bona fides to convince southern senators that civil rights legislation was both inevitable and necessary for him, Johnson, to be elected president. He kept stringing them along, saying "if you just give me this little reform, it will give your old pal Lyndon enough support from those liberals to send him to the Oval Office. Once I'm there, you'll have someone you know to be sympathetic (because I say things like friend of the family and am from Texas) to the negro issue as President."

Of course, once he actually attained the presidency, he threw his old southern senate buddies under the bus, because for all of LBJ's flaws he did actually care about the poor and downtrodden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

hooman posted:

Sorry, Dow Chemical <Your Town> LLC shut down years ago and as a result no longer exists and has no assets so even with your judgement against them they cannot pay any liability. All those profits and assets that were passed to Dow Chemical <Other Country> well, it's hardly THEIR fault you got poisoned, that was all the work of Dow Chemical <Your Town>.

Fun fact, Du Pont literally did that in New Jersey when it was looking like they were finally going to face the music for a century of pollution. Spun off a new corporation that only owned a bunch of polluted sites, then merged the valuable assets with (of course) Dow. The funny twist in that case is that the sacrificial goat spin off immediately turned around and sued Du Pont for fraudulently creating them. Of course, because we live in libertarian hell, Du Pont was able to shunt the suit off into private arbitration, preventing all the juicy details from getting out.