Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
ahahahaha, now you are using anecdotal data to discount statistical data.

hahahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Caros posted:

Moreover, bikes don't have a plastic alternative that could be on the market tomorrow which would completely eliminate all fatalities and most injuries that result from their use. If they did I'd be up in front saying we should get rid of bikes in favor of these new fangled ones.

But they probably sold less Caros.

Have you even considered the poor downtrodden businessman?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Caros posted:

Over the health and safety of children? No.

I also doubly don't give a poo poo because the majority of those companies were violating the law and marketing their products to children in violation of their own agreement with the government. gently caress'em.

I know, that was a point ASDF was making.

At least I think he was, or that bit didn't seem to have any actual point to it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Why not?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think lawn darts is literally the best case for regulations out there.

Its so black and white and simple. If you want an example, that is what you shoot for.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

You communicate very poorly Asdf

Only if you assume he is trying to tell you something.

If you assume he is trying to be vague so he doesn't have to worry about contradicting himself, he is doing very well.

He is learning a lot from Jrod's mistakes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

How does minimum wage negatively effect Black people more?

Like I can't think of any reasons beyond racist ones, which Jrod seems to be of the opinion doesn't exist.

Wait he now admits it exists, but only in the ability for it to shore up his argument.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 30, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The problem with that is I don't think we have the ability to hivemind long enough for that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I think the contention is that no matter the fact that they were using racist reasoning, the fact that black youths were being exploited by being paid Pennies to the dollar isn't exactly a good counter or a refutation of the min wage.

Also how would you address the issues of the black community? Your free market approaches are generally hands off so I don't see how you can honestly believe what you do will have any effect on them.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 1, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I feel like not enough attention is being payed to the fact that racism all of a sudden resurfaces when it benefits Jrod's argument.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ASDF is back arguing that corporations have no leverage over low skill workers?

This will be interesting till Jrod comes back.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Series DD Funding posted:

It's not spent, but it is invested. Even if that's just a bank account, that money gets lent out and creates production.

Only to a certain extent. Lending tha money so someone can buy a house isn't actually that much a production increase, as an example.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

asdf32 posted:

You missed my edit:

The thing you're doing is the thing Jrod does with markets. He points to the market contribution to something and gives it credit for everything good. You're doing that with government regulation. It's transparent.

Unless I miss something, your edit doesn't reall address his point, you just hand waved it away.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair, he doesnt' really follow along. He more copy pastes applicable arguments that sometimes match up.

At least ASDF's brand crazy is 100% original.

Though they both share the opinion that saying they are right counts as a rebuttal, so there is that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

asdf32 posted:

To be clear increasing inequality is a trend across the west. So that's a great clue for its global structural nature. Policy has an impact, we can see different countries being affected in different ways. But first it's important to grasp the underlying problem.

People who are ranting about corporate savings and other financial policy are failing that test. It's feel good politics at best, economic illiteracy at worst.

Oh no we failed a test you made up that has no bearing on how things work.

Oh no.

Also the guy who said "demand is basically infinite" calling others economic illiterate, lol.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

Apple's "workers" are primarily high paid tech guys in the states and extremely low paid Chinese factory workers. There would be minimal benefit in the US from higher salaries to the already quite well off general workers, and the workers in China are under contract to another company and as such Apple would never pay them more directly.

Then there's about 60,000 workers in the Apple stores around the world, but increasing their pay to say a minimum of $15 an hour would barely make a dent into their cash reserves that you seem so upset about, on average in the US at least they get $9 or $10 an hour starting pay.

I don't think the point is to drain the cash reserves just to drain them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The demand is there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ASDF isn't a libertarian. He is contrarion.

He isn't Jrod, he is a shittier version of Fishmech.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You first have to prove the demand exceeds supply.

Hiring several more low skill jobs overseas does not prove that the demand for labor is exceeding supply. Only that it is was not being met at the time. Basically defend your original premise that if everyone was free you would hire everyone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

asdf32 posted:

One indicator: the total number of jobs outsourced exceeds current unemployment. Imagine if we extrapolated to "free".

There would be diminishing returns at some point, so even if they didn't cost any salary productivity would plummet.

Though once again, you would have to prove that the jobs they are hired for, are jobs which are unnecessary but price makes them willing to front it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Literally no one (besides you I guess) is using a fixed number so what the gently caress are you on about ASDF?

Unless you are finally admiting you were wrong, then good on ya.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Not wrong, not as stupid as when people are saying "businesses don't want to hire more workers" and not pointless when they are.

No one has said this, they said no one will hire unnecessary workers which seems to be your point, that if the cost is zero you will hire people just to mill about.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

paragon1 posted:

I thought you said demand was functionally infinite?

Only if cost is zero.

loving Statists with their minimum wage laws :argh:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

asdf32 posted:

So is paying people what they're worth bad?

How do you determine their worth, postingbot 9000?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Google tried pretty hard to figure it out and then tried to pay people accordingly and that got presented as bad.

Is that bad? Or are people rejecting their methods for figuring it out.

Well they don't actually give you any details on how they give out the bonuses, so I wonder how exactly you came to the conclusion that this is fair. Is it fair because they say it is? I mean the whole article is vague and kind of trying to push a certain narrative.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What? No it doesn't?

Unless you have a really, really high opinion of gilded age America.

Or a loose definition of well off.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You know you can't play that card when your posts are also ideologically charged right?

Because its impossible to do it from some mythical neutral ground.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

This should be interesting. His whole schtick is just posting vague useless truisms and then acting as if they proved the worth of the highly specific policy positions he is simultaneously advocating and nothing more needs to be said nor conflicting evidence addressed.

lol you expect a simple question will be enough to force him to be specific.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

asdf32 wasn't libertarian.

I am not exactly sure what he was but it wasn't libertarian.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Do I you honestly believe that the majority of the poor were recently immigrated and couldn't speak English?

Really?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Now you are just throwing out random logical fallacies. Like its a Facebook argument.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

fishmech is more correct (and posts some a+ content when you don't disagree with him) whereas asdf would be in the ultrabland megaboring zone of "not even wrong" if he was even a little consistent

Yeah fish mechs problem is he is pedantic as all gently caress, but at least he is correct more often than not.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That seems arbitrary.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Okay if I gotta make a decision from all of history I'd say that I'd kill Joseph McCarthy

I feel like someone would have filled his shoes eventually.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The best racism was Saint Jrods brief fling with time preferences.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The weird thing is he knows you can get one later in life and seems willing to do it, making it weirdly pointless.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The problem being a Market economy doesn't use that info very well, though that is by design.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Systems fail all the time because change is hard and there are always variables. Trying to simplify it down to one singular reason without concrete examples is pointless.

It's just lazy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Like tell me why central planning failed, give me solid reasoning why it was at fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To a degree.