Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Yeah alright, this is a bit much. I'm just gonna go ahead and close the thread until I'm able to update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

FEDORA SPOTTED

POKERMAN 151 - PART 12

I'm back.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just wanted to say sorry for the derail :shobon:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

drat, those gym leader pokemon levels are getting insane. I wonder if the Elite Four will just be a wall that requires grinding, because at least someone is bound to have a few things at level one hundred at this rate.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Don't worry, Mr DJB, I always mix up Kyle and Keith's names too.

E: Red DJB's true form?

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 13, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ramos posted:

drat, those gym leader pokemon levels are getting insane. I wonder if the Elite Four will just be a wall that requires grinding, because at least someone is bound to have a few things at level one hundred at this rate.

Blaine is gym 7, if every E4 member hasn't run face first into the level cap I would be shocked.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
I don't imagine they'll require obscene amounts of grinding if you have an idea of what's coming, simply because AI in the first gen is retarded and does stuff like Roar (completely useless in trainer battles) and use potions on full-health Pokemon. It helps that most of the movepools will probably be substandard, like in the original games. As this update showed, it's not unreasonable to have one of your Pokemon 30-40 levels lower completely sweep an opponent because they're the right type/stat matchup.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

Blaine is gym 7, if every E4 member hasn't run face first into the level cap I would be shocked.

He may have been ramped up because gym 8's level scaling appears to be hosed.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't see any reason why they couldn't have been set higher than level 100 unless there's something about how Pokemon Red or ROM hacking works that would prevent it. I know that stats can continue to go up for pokemon beyond level 100 from messing around with whatever missingno evolved into. (Assuming I remember correctly, it was more than a decade ago when I tried it).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That's true, it goes up to Level 255. If your own Pokemon is above level 100 and levels up normally, it drops back to 100. Trainer Pokemon don't level up, of course.

But I do not know whether the ROM hacker knew this.

By the way, you CAN raise >L100 pokemon further with rare candies, but raise it beyond 255 in this way and it wraps to level 0.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Editing together the next part now. In the meantime, here's a Pokémon Red LP even more informative and interesting than my own.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Indeterminacy posted:

Origin of Mew/Mewtwo.

Is this the canon story or did you come up with this yourself?

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

It's in the game - word for word. The thread doesn't even need to make fanfiction, the game writes its own.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Fun fact, in the movies the kind man who gives you the PokeFlute is the same one who created Mewtwo. I think he was also trying to bring his daughter back to life? (This was all cut from the 4kids release).

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

SystemLogoff posted:

Fun fact, in the movies the kind man who gives you the PokeFlute is the same one who created Mewtwo. I think he was also trying to bring his daughter back to life? (This was all cut from the 4kids release).

Mr. Fuji being responsible for Mewtwo is game canon too, though they didn't really do that until Fire Red and apparently he researched mega evolution too as of gen 6. That's about as far and deep as the Mewtwo mythos goes but it's good enough for a Pokemon.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Magnus may have the mythos, but Charles is the one who made it into Super Smash Bros 4. :cool:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dr. Fuji is in the first movie trying to clone his daughter, while also creating Mewtwo and the starter clones, but is killed when Mewtwo destroys the lab. Mr. Fuji isn't stated to create Mewtwo in the games, but he is good friends with Blaine and worked in the Pokemon Lab, but not the Mansion. It is possible he wrote the diaries though and has visited Faraway Island before the start of Emerald, so it's very implied.

He barely appears in the manga, where it's stated that Blaine created Mewtwo instead.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Crosspeice posted:

He barely appears in the manga, where it's stated that Blaine created Mewtwo instead.

On the other hand, the manga (I'm assuming you're talking about Pokemon Special) also more or less made up new characterizations and plot points so that the main characters are fighting for bigger stakes than "collect 'mons, win fights".

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

dotchan posted:

On the other hand, the manga (I'm assuming you're talking about Pokemon Special) also more or less made up new characterizations and plot points so that the main characters are fighting for bigger stakes than "collect 'mons, win fights".

Yeah, it's probably good that Lt. Surge literally torturing people with electricity is not in the games.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The games are missing a lot of stuff.

Let's never forget that in the second episode of the anime, Pikachu blew up a goddamned hospital.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Roar posted:

The games are missing a lot of stuff.

Let's never forget that in the second episode of the anime, Pikachu blew up a goddamned hospital.

Technically that was Koffing, but the point stands.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

We are nearing the end now.

POKERMAN 151 - PART 13

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

My best guess for the weird move thing: In the Pokemon games, there is basically two types of trainers. The first type have the Pokemon level and four moves defined. The second type have only the Pokemon level, and the four moves are determined from that level. This can lead to weird things with Pokemon that evolve with stones, since they don't learn any moves after. (This is also why most trainer cocoon Pokemon only have harden!) Geovanni should have the first type with each Pokemon move defined, but for some reason it looks like he does not.

Random Game Stuff:

In Gen 1 the scripting for NPCs is not as robust as later games. This leads to when things like when a NPC is unhidden it defaults to facing down. I like to think that Tim was looking at his reflection in the water until he heard you coming.

More fun facts, something only Gen 1 does is have the way these event checks work is infinity along whatever x-axis they exist at. This leads to interesting things that need to be done if you want to skip them. Every other game uses something like a tile-based trigger.

Also, who wants to bet the Elite Four are just all level 100? I mean, it's all the romhacker has left to escalate to.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

SystemLogoff posted:

More fun facts, something only Gen 1 does is have the way these event checks work is infinity along whatever x-axis they exist at. This leads to interesting things that need to be done if you want to skip them. Every other game uses something like a tile-based trigger.

So how do you get past them then if you want to skip?

quote:

Also, who wants to bet the Elite Four are just all level 100? I mean, it's all the romhacker has left to escalate to.

Pokemon of levels greater than a hundred.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SystemLogoff posted:

This is Gen 1, it's not impossible for the romhacker can have the Elite Four have Pokemon beyond 100. Remember you can find wild Pokemon that go beyond level 100 using the MissingNo. glitch.

Also every attack towards Gen 1 and its overzealous fans makes me grin like an idiot. You say the truth, Mr DJB. Never stop. But please stop saying "tres", your Spanish is painful.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Please stop saying "tres", your Spanish is painful.

You know what it is? I used to work in a cinema foyer while Puss in Boots was playing and I went out clubbing a lot during that time, so I had to listen to this about 20 times a day for about a month.

By the by, good film! Leagues ahead of Shrek 3 and 4.

Mr DJB fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 20, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Probably should have done a hack of Pokemon Yellow, at least in that game, Giovanni's Nidoking packed Thunder, Earthquake and Thrash.

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

One funny oversight in the original games is that the guy you always meet in a gym says he doesn't know the Viridian leader's identity, yet those statues standing right next to him display Giovanni's name.

I just noticed how under-leveled the legendary birds are. All of them are level 50 just like in the original games while the other Pokemon in their dungeons have higher levels than they do in this hack.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

SkinCrawling posted:

One funny oversight in the original games is that the guy you always meet in a gym says he doesn't know the Viridian leader's identity, yet those statues standing right next to him display Giovanni's name.

It's not his fault he can't read. Poke-world's education system is hosed. "Are you 10 yet? Cool, go become a professional cockfighter."

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

Neil Cicierega's new mashup album "Mouth Silence", contains a track that takes samples from Pokémon's best and brightest fans. Republicans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDgjo5a-Kls

im satan irl

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I can't wait to see what kind of walls the Elite Four are going to throw up in front of you.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Glazius posted:

Man, I can't wait to see what kind of walls the Elite Four are going to throw up in front of you.

Mittens supremacy.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Mr DJB posted:

Neil Cicierega's new mashup album "Mouth Silence", contains a track that takes samples from Pokémon's best and brightest fans. Republicans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDgjo5a-Kls

im satan irl

Please replace the credits music with this.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

The end of the game.

POKERMAN 151 - PART 14

Thanks again to TripleWipe45 for the art & animation.
There are 6 Pokes left to catch after this video.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Beautiful. Many thanks to all involved.

Wait a second, six Pokémon...?

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 3, 2014

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
OH MY GOSH. That final battle. :swoon:

Who are the mysterious six however...? :iiam:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

I lost it at Darren's big moment against Tauros. Incredible.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Beautiful. Many thanks to all evolved.

Much better ;)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i was always confused as to how Tim gets to be the champion. He loses so somehow he sneaks into the champions room and is officially recognized by Lance to be the Champion even though he didn't actually do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Oh my loving god :allears:

• Locked thread