Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I am just getting back to 40k, do all models need to be on 32mm bases now?

I bought some chaos marines and they still come with 25mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
So I am just getting back into 40k after about 5 years out, and I am getting into genestealer cults.

Anyone have any ideas for what gear options to take for the Acolyte and Neophyte hybrids?

I am confused as hell as to what is actually good.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Bombogenesis posted:

So apparently Genestealer Cults are doing well.

Go figure, a non-loyalist release with solid fluff and strong rules and options is liked. Huh.

I have had so much trouble getting my hands on the acolyte boxes.

These kits are just too goddamn nice

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Age of Sigmar is a pretty drat good game, I was sour as gently caress for almost a year after the end times ended but I am enjoying the gently caress out of it now(The General's compendium helps a lot). Although I will agree we have basically none of our old players, but it's crazy how many new people are getting into AOS because of the much smaller model counts.

So anyway if you guys want help to do a thread I can also help with content, I play it every week.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Do chaos marines go on 32mm or 25s now?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I believe it's 32mm as of the Rubric releases.

Ugh, I hate rebasing

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You don't have to do it if you don't want to.

I also really like these:

http://eccentricminiatures.com/adapterrings.html
You get 12 adaptors for $3, about as cheap as changing bases gets.

Hot drat those are awesome

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
40k isn't getting the age of sigmar changes, they've even confirmed that in official channels.

They are going to streamline it a bit I would guess, maybe try to knock down the amount of books you need.

There are lots of reasons that fantasy didn't do well, and obviously a lot of it was GW's fault but the new GW seems to understand that they poo poo everywhere and at least seem to want to clean it up a bit

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
So I am fixing up my old Death guard army(Since I picked up traitor legions) and managed to convince some friends to take their stuff out of the boxes and play some games.

Should we use all the detachment/formation poo poo, or just use the basic force org charts to play the first few games?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Ehh.

Grav Cannons are really really good and versatile but the short range and that I can get three and a half multimeltas for each one of them are what keep me from thinking they're an auto-take on anything but Centurions. But I tend to use Vulkan so I might be a little bit biased in that regard.

Grav Guns feel mostly okay outside of bike squads where they absolutely do become an auto-take. But that's less of gun balance issue and more of a bike balance issue.

One of my friends plays the Mechanicum guys, and holy gently caress do I hate the grav weapon trac guys.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

goose willis posted:

So are the Genestealers a separate faction from the Tyranids now? How does all of that work? I think they used to be separate back in 2nd edition (?) and I distinctly remember they had a big, retarded space limo (!) that you could ride around in.

They are a separate faction (Genestealer Cult), they can currently ally with guard or tyranids

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Invalidating Codexes pretty much insures the luanch of 8th will be bad. It means they either have to come up with good and interesting rules for every unit in the game and then give them away for free or, and more likely, white wash huge chunks of the units in the game until they come out with supplements to making them interesting. Seeing how they have handled writing rules for pre-existing models in the past this might be an AOS level bad luanch.

To be fair, every edition they launch with old books still in it is a poo poo show too.

With half the armies rules turning to dogshit due to some change or becoming over the top good for others.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Mango Polo posted:

As a Tyranid player, I 100% approve of burning the entire library of rulebooks and army books to the ground and quenching the fire by pissing and shiting upon it. All in the vain hope that a glorious phoenix might arise from the ashes covered in piss and poo poo.

I mean, it would be hard for them to get worse right?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zaphod42 posted:

The one he's painting has a bolter in his right hand. The one in the picture has a bolter in the left hand and a bolt pistol in the right hand.

Not the same.

Similar conversion maybe, but do tacticals even come in those poses? (I haven't played SMs in yeaaars) Looks like a new kit to me.

Jesus Mary and Joseph please give us some new Chaos Marine Models. They're loving ancient.

Chaos needs new models in general, so many old poo poo models.

And even some of the new ones look awful, what the gently caress were they thinking with the mutilators?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I want those new death guard models that they teased so much

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Kickstarter terrain kit came with two bunkers and I definitely didn't need both of them, so I combined one with some leftover bits I had to make a Mechanicus building for a friend. Fun process, and I think it turned out well.

The process:

Ok that is badass looking, nice job!

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

SteelMentor posted:

Nothing's being squatted, confirmed.

More confusingly, someone asked for stuff to be squatted :psyduck:

People want to be angry

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Stats aren't capped at 10?!?!

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
The point system sounds cool, so you either have a really specific one for tourny play with points for equipment.

But if you need to slap an army together quick you can do the other point and just use set points to build the army quick without individually picking stuff

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Woah, anyone that has bought a rulebook or codex within 8 weeks of the announcement on saturday can get a voucher for their online store.

Not too bad of them

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
They are cherry picking some of the good rules from AOS and combining them with the more 40kish statline is what it sounds like

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Cooked Auto posted:

Didn't expect to see the painting guides on that last chance list. Don't see the IA books listed there though.

IA are forgeworld, GW and Forgeworld sell stuff differently so unless forgeworld says they are doing this I wouldn't assume they are

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Soulfucker posted:

I'm the Reroll reserves and +1 to Sieze rolls trait

edit: Are psychic powers generated randomly in Age of Sigmor? Because random generation is dumb and needs to go away (again).

Wizards have base spells they always have, and some of the newer factions let you pick spells from a table.

You also pick your traits and artifacts, I mean I guess you could roll if you really wanted to but you can pick

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

I like that units won't be safe in close combat. If anything, it forces you to attack as an army and not piecemeal. Sure, you can run up ahead with those assault units and wipe out a squad or two, but they're going to get immediately killed by the rest of the army. A better tactic would be to engage firing lines, then move those assault units up or attack from the flanks.

I also love that you cannot tarpit. That's boring as poo poo.

I love that my troops don't need to stand there getting punched by a dreadnought they can't realistically hurt while it murders them

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

TKIY posted:

Yes yes yes yes yes yes

GW is cool and good.

Yeah getting new units should cost points.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Soulfucker posted:

To be fair to Fantasy players I have a hard time coming up with ideas on how to do a worse job at handling the initial AoS launch.

I will never understand how they thought releasing a game without points was a good idea

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

MonsterEnvy posted:

The loss of the Tomb Kings model line was truly a shame. (Though they appear to be supporting them again in the next generals handbook for some reason.)

Tomb kings oddly enough are one of the strongest armies by far, they are getting huge point increases in the next generals handbook

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Those tractors are loving amazing, I would buy those in a heartbeat for terrain

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Tractors were out of stock the moment the Canadian site went live with the new stuff :(

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Death guard are one of the smallest of the groups, but they make up for it by having millions of plague zombies to drop on planets

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Pendent posted:

Isn't this almost exactly what he has now?

That is literally how he works now

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, as MSP pointed out, that's the problem--right now he's one of the only models in the game that hits on a 2+. In 8th, the same ability would make him comparatively much worse than the new characters who can hit on a 2+.

If they add in some of the AOS type rules he'll most likely generate more attacks or something cool.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Yeah it is crazy to think I've been playing warhammer for longer than some of the newer players in my group have been alive

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Strobe posted:

Of armor, let alone all the of the points on the crunchy insides. :v:

As an aside, the current King of gently caress Off Mountain when it comes to BattleTech's record keeping is the Great Turtle, with over 800.

I've always loved battletech, and I play all the video games, and the card game when it was relevant lol.

But I've always been warned by people to avoid the tabletop game because it is crazy complicated. Not sure how true it is

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

muggins posted:

Should they really be such a gamble if you have to weather heavy and small arms fire for two turns beforehand?

There are a LOT of units in AOS that can charge first turn, due to extra movement abilities or charge boosts.

Mounted Daemonettes for example, move 14" +2d6+1 run and then also charge 2d6

So I am thinking a lot of 40k units will be able to as well.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Xarbala posted:

Battletech's Alpha Strike ruleset is a desperately-needed breath of fresh air and a single oasis of streamlined game design in a lonely desert scattered with relics of 80's simulationism.

A bit off topic but a goon has just started an Alpha Strike scenario in his pbp thread if you're even moderately curious and, because it's play-by-post, it'll probably take a few weeks to resolve so you can follow it turn by turn at your leisure. And previous scenarios all use the original Battletech rules if you wanted to see exactly what it is your friends were warning you to stay away from:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383329&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1867#post471887943

Strobe isn't interested in it because it's a story set in an alternate universe timeline, but even some HBS Battletech devs follow it and it's a good read at any rate.

I'll have to give it a read, looks interesting

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
In AOS you get +1 Bravery per 10 guys, I am sure something like that will be in 40k.

And/or commanders giving out immunity to battleshock or using their much higher leadership

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Fast units that roll well on their charge(Or have bonuses), can surround a unit and make it unable to fall back.

If that units of 30 guys rolls high on the charge they could easily surround a unit, stop it from going anywhere and protect themselves from shooting the next turn.

In AOS if you can't move more than 3" away with each model you can't fall back

Black_Nexus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 4, 2017

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

That makes it even cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

The Bee posted:

How do Genestealer psykers compare to Tyranid ones currently?

You have 2 possible ones you can take, the Patriach and the Magus.

Their special lore is ok, some of the spells are a little situational but good. And also they can pick from several of the basic lores instead of tyranids who get hosed and can only take tyranid ones

• Locked thread