Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Hollismason posted:

The new FOC while it can be abused can be used to make some super kick rear end armies that are just fun and really "fluffy". 2 Tank Commanders w/ Leman Russes and some Guards in Chimeras then Scout Sentinels Hellhounds Vendettas , and some ordnance is pretty awesome sounding army.

Man I wish I could get my hands on some Russes cheap just to be able to do that. :arghfist::(
Or just some neat Infantry/Tank combo FOCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

Trawl eBay for rescue jobs and weather the poo poo out of them.

Something which I've tried but Ebay sellers always seem to be the highest shipping cost to Sweden that they're capable off which makes it never really worth the effort in many cases.
I keep getting somewhat jealous whenever I hear Ghost Hand and the others on IC talk about deal they make at various game store sales and such because that just isn't a thing here except possibly in the major cities which tend to have decent gaming stores. Even if they never do that kind of thing best to my knowledge.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

That sucks, that area of Europe seems to have the worst shipping costs, even before overzealous eBayer shipping fees.

Kinda yeah, even the costs shipping from the UK are kinda hefty when it comes to ebay.
And using Swedish Ebay doesn't garner much luck either since the few tanks that come up there get hiked up in price rather decently because they are somewhat rare.

Or I just need to be more daring with my bidding but then again it's hard at times to justify bidding high for a tank and risk at making it cost more than just buying one of a store or something.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ghetto wormhole posted:

If you're looking for plain old LRBTs I've got a bunch I'll sell you for $20 each plus shipping. It's what I bought them for. I'm in the US but I won't charge you more than the actual cost.

Hmm, interesting. Toss me an email at cookedauto at gmail dot com with a total price estimate including shipping to Sweden and you might just have yourself a deal.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Goddamn it ebay, let me win at least one tank auction without being sniped at the last second. :argh:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

Where did those loving awesome busts come from?

The 40k Talisman game.

SRM posted:

I think you mean a last second Precision Shot :smug:

And those fuckers have a lot better luck with the dice than I ever have. I want to feed my armor addiction in some fashion.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I wonder if the new Ork codex will focus any on the ongoing third war of Armageddon? On the heels of the new IG book, I bet a Steel Legion expansion book could be around the corner too...

If GW had been sensible you could've just made a supplement dedicated to multiple IG armies with rules and such instead of just one.
But like that'll ever happen. :smith:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tequila Ranger posted:

Significant Steel Legion content would require me to call my doctor because I'd have an erection lasting longer than 4 hours.

I wouldn't say no to updated rules for Tanith as well, which is kinda why I wanted a army collection supplement more than just a single book.
Now I would've also wanted to wish for new Steel Legion models but that's too greedy and fantastic to really bother with.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Just as I thought I was going to win an auction for an unpainted Leman Russ I get precision shotted at the last second. :arghfist::(

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I was thinking of going with this Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179741323/battle-dog-and-pug
*His latest update has the lowered turret, which looks much better.*

But the 3-pack it is the same price as 20% off real Leman Russ tanks. It looks like these are about 1.5cm shorter and the turret is like 3x bigger. It matches the aesthetic of the Light Tank's original sprite more than the GW one but I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger or not. GW kits come with like 3 turrets but this one has 5, so that is nice..

Hm, not bad. Tempted to get at least one if the pricing and shipping is not too insane. Not too keen on the huge boxy turret though.
The turret less "artillery" one would make for a great Destroyer Tank Hunter though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I kinda prefer plastics over metal. Which is kinda annoying since my favorite IG models, the Kasrkins, are all metal and they're such an annoyance to paint at times with paint with all their sharp edges and such that just seems to make paint fall of by itself.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finally got the Lasgun bitz needed for my Woodland Rangers from a EU bitz store and they only cost me 6eu including shipping. :woop:
And it even came with a piece of candy. :3:

Also, after hearing about the new campaign system in the latest HH book earlier this week on the IC's I suddenly wanted to play a campaign with it but trying to use IG vs Cultists or something like that instead of 30k marines.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 5, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

That sounds like some sort of Gaunt's Ghosts/WW2 in space sort of battles, which can be a ton of fun. I had a really fun game back in 5th with my IG vs. my buddy's IG and it was just artillery pounding each others' lines while we were both holed up in cover, until a late game "over the top" moment where the troops had to get into the open to get objectives. It was brutal, grueling, and really fun.

That sounds pretty cool and would be a good chance of me to use the infantry I've got instead of just realizing the list I'm forced to play with due to lack of models is kinda crap and detracts all the fun from playing for me.
But yeah, using that campaign system for IG would've been kinda cool when you keep going with the "poo poo is hosed, now make the heretics pay for it" theme that the original one is going with but just scale down the powerlevel or rebalance it a smidgen.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

This would work very easily. Just requires some story around it :)

Now I'd just have to buy the book and I can't really justify myself doing it since the campaign system is the only thing I really care about and nothing else.
At least until they get around to the Imperial Army I guess.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Almost finished with my Daemon Prince of Nurgle. 2+ cover while Gliding around, casting spells and lobbing Greater Reward attacks sounds pretty fun.

I gotta admit the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture without reading the post was those demons in Serious Sam that lob homing green fireballs at you.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I kinda wish this wasn't an Inquisitor scale model because it's probably one of the best female figures I've seen from GW and I'd love to use in my IG army as commander because it's pretty much all I really want.
Granted I'm sure some of the detailing would be lost if shrunken down a bit but it's still such a nice model that doesn't make me cringe whenever I see it compared to female ones.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Power Player posted:

Yeah, that's a great model. I wish there was more range in the IG line like there used to be (different companies, etc), but with female variants as well.

Tell me about it. Been searching like crazy for a Commander model as I've ranted about before in previous threads but with no real success. I mean there is the Victoria Lamb stuff which is really amazing but that's just troopers and not any decent officers which is what I need the most.
I did find this one from Warmachine which is pretty much all I really need when it comes to design and pose but it's apparently not out until July and then I know that WM's scale is all over the place so it might just stand out even more than intended.

Heck, I wouldn't say no to have that one just as a display piece because it's an amazing model but good luck trying to find it nowadays. Did find one on Ebay but it was like 20eu in shipping. :suicide:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Sascha Dubois from Reaper Miniatures might work with a little greenstuffing.

That goddamn exposed midriff. :sigh: And I really don't trust my skills in greenstuffing to make it look good. Shame really because it does look like a fitting one even without any visible weapons.

PierreTheMime posted:

Find a good female head bit and tack that onto an MT model. It's great-looking ornamental armor and avoids the bare midriff/exposed breasts awfulness of 99.9% of all female miniatures.

Yeah that was my plan from the beginning and I had a Commander from the Cadian HQ squad box built up but the only female heads I have are the Wood Elf glade guard ones and that turned out to be so lacklustre due to the pose lacking something I just kinda gave up on it.

Figure sans head.
But that head you linked does look kinda good. Might look into that and see if I can't try at it again.

Although I have to say I kinda like this model quite a bit even if the pose is a bit too much spunky action girl instead of regal officer, but the outfit and such is pretty nice.

Sulecrist posted:

This Warmachine officer might work, although you might want to swap the weapons. One thing to keep in mind is a lot of female Privateer Press models are noticeably smaller than their male counterparts, which makes them good for 40k.

Aside from the one I linked earlier I was looking at one of these:
http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/cygnar/warcasters/captain-haley
http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/mercenaries/warcasters/fiona-the-black
http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/cygnar/warcasters/captain-kara-sloan
Only problem is that any weapon swaps is gonna be a pain because they're all metal. Might just hold off until that other one comes out because it does have that pistol/melee weapon combo that I want.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 6, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Looking through some options, Cipher Studios offers some good female heads which can be bought seperated for $3. It's a little pricey, considering the whole model is $10, but if you just want a smattering of females in your army you can grab some of the better sculpts.

While the whole model is way too mideval/skimpy, the head on this model has a great determined no-nonsense look that I think would be great for an officer.

Looking it up I'm not sure you can actually buy that one models head separate at it seems the body is one solid metal/pewter figure and I'm not really sure it's available in plastic or not.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Fiona might be the easiest, just file her trident down to a WWII era general's baton and either add a rifle to her right hand or slung over her shoulder.

Not a bad idea.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

I agree, the tight cleavage top is bad, too. However, you do have the skill to greenstuff over it, just smooth a dab over the naval/belly button, paint that area clothing color. It would be difficult to tell on the tabletop.

Yeah the Power Girl boob window I'm not a fan of either for that part. And that idea sounds pretty good even if I'd almost go crazy and try to make flak armour and gently caress everything up.

But yeah, the majority of the female commissar models are just cringeworthy. The art of the only female Commissar in one of the OW books is almost as bad with the noticeable cleavage.

That GIS search did lead me to these though
http://studiomcvey.highwire.com/product/swm1001-captain-kara-black
http://studiomcvey.highwire.com/product/swm2003-female-conscript-terrorist
http://studiomcvey.highwire.com/product/samaritan-female-trooper
http://studiomcvey.highwire.com/product/swm1003-akosha-nama

http://www.adepticon.org/?page_id=492
And then I found the Adepticon 2006 limited edition figure and just went "gently caress" because it's pretty drat good as a Commander.

I also discovered a set of really classy female Catachan troopers of Brother Vinny the other day.
http://www.brother-vinni.com/rus/shop.htm#!/~/product/category=9008390&id=35126782
Really really classy, but that's almost to be expected of that site.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

In my opinion the Sedition Wars minis will look very out of place, the are notably smaller and more spindly than most minis and especially GWs heroic-scale stuff. Sorry.

Isn't that more a problem because of GWs messed up scaling than anything else as most other Heroic 28mm stuff will look kinda out of place amongst GW models.
Even if I can understand your opinion.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Oh yeah, Kara Black is a terrific model! Boldly posed, no cheesecake, just a badass female commander. That model is from Mantic Games, would be very easy to swap her Warpath gun for a 40k weapon and call it good.

Yeah aside from the not yet released Warmachine figure it really seems to my best choice as of right now unless Victoria Lamb suddenly releases female officer sculpts or something. I might just buy it anyway and see what I can do with it and then see how easy a weapon swap really is with what I've got

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

Stab him to death and send his fingernails to Games Workshop. Commit murder.

Seriouspost:

This model isn't canon because I can't see her breasts, this offends my ideology. :biotruths:

The OW books have been great with depicting female troopers, especially one of the later supplements.

Slimnoid posted:

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/deadzone/leaders/product/rebs-commander-1-figure.html

There's always this one. No cheesecake, and easy enough to convert the gun to whatever you want. Plus, badass coat is ALWAYS a plus.

Oooh. Didn't know of that one actually. And even the default gun isn't so bad for that part. Even if I don't think Commanders have those in general but screw that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Now can I reserve some IG tanks for international shipping or what? :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Sure but not from me. By the time I got to the place almost all the 40k stuff was gone. Just a few SM boxes, LOTS of DE, a few Eldar, some DA, 3 Ork boxes, and some Tyranid stuff I might just ssend to Broken Loose to try to get him back into the hobby. Haven't decided yet.

If you want to start a Fantasy army, now is your chance.

Blast, foiled again. :(

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So I've been a very bad/hypocritical person and bought these two off ebay for my IG army as Inquisitor and Commander/Commissar.

On the plus side I don't have to paint them as my younger brother who is back home over the summer really wanted to paint both of them because he thought they were kinda cool and he's a much more competent painter than me.
But we have agreed there will be some green stuffing on the Commissar at least to deal with the shirt issue. And probably swap out the gun too.
Slight pity that only the lead ones were available.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

IG is always needed...

Got any tanks or chimeras you need to get rid off and are willing to risk international shipping?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Welp, guess I shot myself in the foot there I guess. v:v:v Not much else I can say about that without making it sound worse really so I'm just gonna leave it that.
All I really wanted was to have a decent mixed gender non-cheesecake regiment pretty much but I guess I got too insistent about it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tadhg posted:

I do apologize if I'm misjudging your intent. Your stated goal is fine, but does put you into weird company as pretty much everyone I've seen who care about adding female minis to their army gives off a weird vibe. The commissar model, even though she's giving off a mild dominatrix kind of feel, could be overlooked if fixed up. But that other model is a far cry from the "tasteful hint of female presence" that you professed. And as your centerpiece HQ model, you've chosen to have your army led by a sex-kitten. If that's what you want, fine; they're your models. But your search for female guard models has now been cast into a different light because of it.

It's understandable really, I hosed up completely honestly. I still have my qualms about the Inquisitor as the thing as I'm not the biggest fan of steampunk notion that it oozes but at the same it does fit the look of some female inquisitors I've seen in the DH books so someday if I ever decide to toss in Inquisitor allies into my list I might.
And to explain myself fully and properly and hopefully not make the thing worse the whole female commander thing came up as an idea in my head because I gave the army the name 'Revvie's Raiders' when I built my first proper list based on an old character name I used once and just thought it'd be a fun thing to do to make it stand out somewhat.

In the end I'll probably never use any of them since I've found my interest in playing deflating rapidly due to various factors. Most of them related to me being an absolutely terrible player and a terrible loser too and I'm too considerate to subject the people I play with to that constantly.
And I'm atrocious at remembering numbers and rules which detracts as well.

There, I've said what I can about this whole stupid mistake and I really have nothing more to add.

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm still of the opinion that female models just need a head swap. Unless you're a Battle Sister you're not going to wear a low-cut shirt and high heels into battle. While still silly, at least Adepta Sororitas armor is ceramite plating and not cloth.

Yeah I'll probably do that from here on after, the Victoria Lamb heads should be out pretty soon and they're not terribly pricey and I think I've seen at least other decent alternatives somewhere.

One thing I discovered when I got the new Wood Elf rangers was that the regiment is split 50/50 in genders and you can barely spot the difference. Which I thought was nice.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 8, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Squifferific posted:

What do you guys use for transporting your space barbies? I'm messing around on the KR Multicase site, and $180+ seems too steep for me.

KR Multicase.
And I'm gonna have to get another vehicle tray sooner or later I think because I managed to score my first rescue project Leman Russ off Ebay for my Vanquisher turret. :woop:
But I need more tanks. Moooooore.

Of course I won't have any time to paint it until like August because I'm working. Have I mentioned I'm kinda amazed at people who manage to do hobby progress after coming home from work because I simply can't get enough focus to do it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2014/06/10/dawn-of-war-united-in-hatred/

For those who haven't read the latest blogpost from ADB I almost recommend you do because it's really great.
And now I want to reinstall Dawn of War for that part.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I read this this morning; what a perfect post. Dude is the coolest BL author by a country mile.

At some point I'll probably just discard my dislike for Space Marine fiction and read some more of his stuff other than Emperors Gift and Cadian Blood.
Even if I wished he did more IG stories at the same time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Well, yeah rough riders. But gently caress me if I am gonna have my guards ride horses. :negative:

Then make them all bikers or something.
http://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=24]

ghetto wormhole posted:

I was incredibly surprised that Rough Riders were left unchanged. Like AbusePuppy said, they're not irredeemably awful but there are about 15 other units in the codex that can to as much damage from farther away while being more survivable.

They seem kinda like a relic of the older edition more than anything now and just added for the people who have bought a ton of models or have kitbashed something of their own together because the half page of rule in the latest codex seems like a bit of an afterthought with them having no decent idea how or what to use them for.

SRM posted:

They're by Champ Industries: http://www.champindustries.net/orders_b.html
30 cents a pop, plastic bases. I saw them at a con years and years ago and they stuck in my memory ever since. There's no Imperial Embelishments on them; I was just able to slip an Aquila decal on one of the blank spaces. They're really nice, and he has urban ones too.

Oh I like those, still undecided if I wanna go with an urban base theme for my army or not but I do like those because of their simplicity and not overdecorated like I've seen with others.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 11, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Naramyth posted:

i do like pizza

Until you realize that you need to pay for 60 pizzas.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

No they're still called Rough Riders amazingly enough.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Rico's Rough Riders!

That would be an amazing name for a motorcycle based squad if anything.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

There must not be anything to GW's renaming of Imperial Guard then. If there was a copyright issue, how could they not switch from something like Rough Riders, which I'm sure someone like History Channel has tried to claim?

It really is a pointless name change because half the time the book says Imperial Guard anyway, especially in the opening fluff chapter I think AM is used sparsely after that it just feels like they did a word replace for Imperial Guard on the rest.

jng2058 posted:

Because they'll sell them as "Astra Militarum Rough Riders?" Just like they will "Astra Militarum Commissar" and the like?

I would like to make a ridiculous name change joke in style with Adeptus Horesium Riders but I really can't come up with anything fitting.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AgentF posted:

My partner told me that Astra Militarum sounds like a Harry Potter spell and you know what she's right goddamnit!

Didn't someone mention that it translate into Women in Space or something weird like that when the topic came up last time?
But otherwise, yeah it kinda does.

AgentF posted:

Dude collects GW miniatures. He's not worried about money.

Point taken.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

jng2058 posted:

So for my tanks it's:

Executioner with Sponson Plasma Cannons and Hull Lascannon (Otherwise known as my "Kill a Riptide in one turn if my luck holds out" tank)

Punisher with Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Hull Heavy Bolter, Pintle Heavy Stubber (more dakka, More Dakka, MORE DAKKA!)

Leman Russ Battle Tank with Hull Heavy Bolter (Your basic pie plate generator)

Demolisher with Hull Heavy Bolter (Maybe with Hull Heavy Bolter and Sponson Heavy Bolters if I want to project fire to 36". And actually nine shots Snap Shotted will usually give you 1-2 extra Heavy Bolter shots at a unit to maybe sweep away some survivors)

I really need to redo my tanks as it's my bog standard Leman Russ that is just weirdly kitted out with Hull Lascannon and two HB sponsons and my Demolisher is bare with just the Hull HB. Feel like I should do a turret swap to make them a bit more effective but I'd have to repaint the vanilla LR completely for that purpose I think.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

What is it with French Bitz stores being awesome? Because now I've found another store that has a separate Demolisher turret in stock so I can magnetize that for my Punisher and Executioner guns that I've got left over from my previous one.
And then some day I can just buy a spare body of them if I want to put that extra turret into use.
Not to mention it's way way cheaper than if I was ever to buy the turret off ebay too. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Big Willy Style posted:

The punisher bits wont go onto a demolisher turret without a fair bit of effort, especially if you want to magnetise both sets of guns.

You'll probably be doing interior complete with hello kitty seat covers and breasts hanging off the hull so it won't be too much effort to do it while you have the putty out.

I kid, I kid.

Hardee har har har.

I know I've discussed magnetizing a Demolisher turret before and I think the suggestion given was to put one magnet on the inside of the gun mount and then just drill a hole in punisher gun. Especially with 4mm magnets which should fit just fine in the diamond shaped hole. If not I'll just make it a Punisher turret and leave it at that.

• Locked thread