Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

if I want some sort of starter kit to start painting minis and play, what's the best thing to do? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Stormclaw is pretty much sold out everywhere online, and I don't even live in a place with a hobby store. what about the Dark Vengeance set? looks like a lot of models for $100, but it looks like 7th edition came out afterwards, so I assume DV has the 6th edition rules? if I don't care about the rules (for now - as I said, I don't even live somewhere with anyone to play with so I can get a rulebook in due time), is that still going to be a good purchase as a starter kit? I like the look of both armies included. the rulebook thing isn't a big deal to me because I wouldn't mind owning a full copy (as opposed to the "mini" version in the box, which I assume just has the fluff cut out) and would probably use a pdf when (if) I played anyway, so I don't need the convenience.

what about paints? I haven't painted minis in years, so most of my stuff is dried up. should I get one of those "basic" kits from GW, or am I better off picking out basic colors on my own? I really want an all-around set, but I'm okay with getting other brands (my only experience is with Vallejo and GW paints, and I actually really like GW paints, but their entire lineup is way, way different from what I'm used to now.)

I know this isn't the paintin' thredd, but I'm posting here because I want to start with something that could transition from the hobby to the game if I were so inclined to drive 3 hours for a nice Saturday of WH (with goons, possibly? there are some on the map in OKC!)

my knowledge of WH40k is pretty much restricted to 4e. I didn't like 5th much but from what I've read, 7th did almost literally everything I wanted to happen to the game.

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

This really depends on how quickly you want to jump in and what paint scheme you want to go with. Dark Vengeance will be re-released soon with 7th Edition rules (and an extra model for a minor price bump), but if you have no interest in Dark Angels and/or Chaos Space Marines then it's not a good way to go. If you plan on starting small and building, investigate picking up individual kits you want either locally or online at a discount. I would recommend double-checking how well specific units do in-game if you're interested in playing to be sure that you have a legal list set up when you want to jump into gaming.

Paint-wise, GW paints are pretty drat nice. There are competitor paints (Vallejo, etc) that are just as good but for what you get the GW color range is generally the accepted norm. If you have a particular color scheme in mind check to see if any of the paint sets include those colors. If they don't, pick up individual paints. Regardless of what colors you want I would strongly recommend also getting a "black" and "white" paint, regardless of brand. I use black and white to darken/lighten whatever shade I'm working with to create multiple color levels without having to buy 15 different shades of the same general color. Also, washes ("shades") will set you free. I am addicted to Agrax Earthshade, which gives everything a natural grimy look. Regardless of what color scheme you pick, grab a wash to go with.

What army do you want to play? People in the thread can give you pretty solid advance in terms of what's good and what's not when it comes to any army and it should help you when making buying decisions.

I wanted some space marines to get my feet wet with painting, and the dark vengeance set looks solid for practice. That was my main thought. I wouldn't mind having either army sitting a shelf looking cool. I love all the armies, but things I'm interested in running are like eldar, dark eldar, csm, salamanders, orks.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I've painted many models before, just not really any warhammer models. Biggest army I've owned was like 500 points of Sisters years and years ago. I ended up selling them because I didn't want a metal model army. Maybe I will buy some tac squad kits and paints and wait for a 7e starter box that isn't limited edition :P

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 18, 2014

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Monoliths posted:

Gentle reminder: that poo poo's pretty misogynistic and doesn't fly around here.

Hadn't really thought about it like that but that makes sense to me. To me it's mostly representative of stupid 4chan poo poo, which is pretty in-line with the dumb idiot I was as a teenager (back when I had that army.) In reality I cared a whole lot about their fluff and they're one of my favorite armies.

Excited to order some stuff this weekend and start this adventure.

Edit: Part of me knows I'm gonna get that DV box because those models are so cool.

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 19, 2014

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Someone made the joke of them being bought by Hasbro. Would that even be so bad? Everything I've seen come from Wizards (honestly, just magic and DnD) has been of high quality since being purchased, even if I don't agree with stuff that has nothing to do with Hasbro (such as rules.) It's not like GW isn't already gouging us constantly with questionable business practices.

I really love Warhammer (it's crazy exciting to be getting into it for the first serious time - pretty soon you guys will get to see my newbie foray into painting my first models) but I hate that I feel like if I'm not buying my models and paints third-party, then I'm grossly overpaying. Honestly, a lot of their sculpts are amazing and so I don't mind buying them, and the games' scale seems unmatched in the market, but I still hate loving it.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Hollismason posted:

New thread title please.

It really sums up every aspect of the hobby.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

koreban posted:

I can't remember if it was posted here or I read it on my FLGS' facebook feed, but the rumored list was going to be something like Space Wolves, WHFB something or other, Hobbit/LoTR, Chaos supplements & dataslates, Dark Elder, Blood Angels (possibly in a campaign-style pairing) appearing in or around February 2015.

At least, that's what everyone at the FLGS has been talking about as the general timeline (we have several blüd angels players who aren't at all happy about yiff marines getting love before they do).

last rumors I saw were that WHFB is getting a pause throughout the end of the year so they can get as much 40k out as possible

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

that looks like a game of Starcraft, and that's really cool.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

edit: ^^^^ well, it's safe to assume that DreadFleet would have been a different game if it was successful! although, from what I understand, it was supposed to be WHFB's version of Space Hulk.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's too bad that DreadFleet bombed because we would probably have gotten an Epic or Adeptus Titanicus boxset by now.

haha, seeing those Epic screenshots actually made me go and see how much DreadFleet is going for. I was surprised to see it's cheaper! I'll probably end up buying it eventually because I love the models, but yeah, I'm guessing it really didn't catch on.

so I've talked a little bit in this thread about getting into the hobby. I haven't really played since 4th and the beginning of 5th. I bought the new 7th Dark Vengeance set for the rules and also because the models look cool and I want to paint them. I want to primarily play Dark Eldar, but I have some interest in some other armies. for now, I'm trying to focus on the models I'll actually have.

I hear a lot of people say that the Dark Angels codex doesn't really hold up, and my main interest is in Deathwing. Is it any good?

CSM seems like it has some really cool models in general in its army, but I would have no idea what I'm doing making a list for them. I'm not really a fan of Nurgle which is a shame, because from what I've read, he (and his mark) has all the best stuff. are Noise Marines good?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

Dark Eldar are in an awkward position right now

That's a shame to hear because they are far and above as my favorite army. Here's to hoping they get a new codex soon, because I love their models anyway. I want to build an army of them anyway (because 'gently caress it, they're cool!'), but for now, I'd like to play an army with options / that I can have a lot of fun with. I actually got a hold of some Dark Eldar units and their codex for dirty cheap, but I'm contented just painting them until a new codex releases if they're not very good on the field. I have 5x Warriors, 10x Wyches, 2x Succubi, a Haemonculus, a Raider, a Venom, and 2x Ravagers. Also came with a foam carrying case. The troops are assembled (poorly), and so is the Raider, Venom, and one Ravager, and it's all really dusty from sitting around, and some of them have some weird glossy black primer on them, but I payed almost nothing for it.

AbusePuppy posted:

Eldar, which is one of the strongest armies

Eldar are really that powerful? I haven't been able to look at their new codex at all. Is it the kind of thing where people hate playing against them, or are they fun for both sides?

AbusePuppy posted:

Dark Angels aren't exactly bad

Ah, that's a shame. I have flipped through their codex and nothing especially caught my eye. The idea of an all-termi list seemed cool (and cheap?), but not much else seemed to be going on. On the opposite end of that, the amount of toys in C:SM in the latest edition has blown me away.

AbusePuppy posted:

Noise Marines are arguably the best of the cult troops (with Plague Marines being their competition) and can be surprisingly dangerous when used right. A Slaanesh-themed army can essentially go two ways- heavy on cult troops for a primarily-shooting army that pummels the enemy from a distance with Blastmasters, Havocs, Obliterators, and Heldrakes, or a hyper-aggressive army that uses Maulerfiends, Spawn and Bikes to support punchy HQs and possibly some good Elites.

Both of those lists sound fun, and I'm a fan of Slaanesh. I think I could convert some DA units into looking like Noise Marines if I can make them chaosy enough. I like the look of the pre-heresy Emperor's Children with the tabards.

Thank you for the great information!

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 10, 2014

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Listen to this guy, he knows his stuff. DE basically are weak but also strong, they are literally a glass cannon.

The two things you need to know about Dark eldar are the following:

When you lose, you will usually be tabled, get used to it. When you have gotten used to the army, you can kill nearly every unit in the game.

You and Sharzak and everyone else giving advice for DE, thanks! I'm still deciding whether I want to invest money into Dark Eldar, but for now I'm going to go ahead and paint what I have and see what Codex rumors look like in a few months! It's good to know Dark Eldar are still the bad-but-actually-good race, haha.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Master Twig posted:

I've ran into land raiders a lot with my Tyranids, and even with warp lances I just can't seem to crack them. So, I think I'm going to ally in some imperial guard. I figure four lascannons in a blob with a vendetta should help out quite a bit. Plus, keeping them away from the tyranid force shouldn't be too hard.

I really like the idea of a group of IG like, "Wait! Look! The 'Nids are eating them!" "They can't get into their land raiders." "Blow it open for them!"

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Wait, so, like, are the Dan Abnett books actually good? Not like "better than the other ones" good? I've never read anything by him (and had no idea he even wrote so much god drat poo poo - just checked out his wiki page), but everyone raves about them. It can be really hard to tell what "good" means in the context of spin-off fiction because some people will just lovingly read anything that has their favorite mary sue in it.

Also, how is the Salamanders omnibus?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

I've never seen a drop pod in real life. Do the doors on them open and close? Would it be possible to wire it up so that music plays when the doors open (on a hinge)? The wiring I can take care of, just need to know if the model is physically built in a way I can do that.

I really want to make a Dethklok Noise Marine squad.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Many players build the model so the doors open and close. If you can fit the player inside it should work. You might consider a solar cell to power the player, so when you open the doors and expose it to light the music starts so you don't need a switch or other "trigger".

Thanks, that's a good idea. The switch was going to be next hurdle.

PierreTheMime posted:

Drop Pods are notorious for being one of the most frustrating models to assemble correctly, however. Godspeed. :patriot:

Go figure. I remember someone at my LGS asking for help with assembly with his Monolith because he felt like he needed 3 hands (this was back when they were still 3rd, no idea if the kit is different now).

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Haha drat, my hopes and dreams washed away in an instant.

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 14, 2014

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

OB_Juan posted:

Model a rhino up to have a bunch of speakers or whatever on it, put the player inside. Play when they disembark.

I really wanted to imitate the very first episode of Metalocalypse where they are dropped from the sky their drop pod opens up to be their stage. On a serious note, though, I've seen people put lights and stuff in Rhinos and it always looks really good and easy.

As for Chaos Drop Pods, didn't they have them in Dawn of War?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

I wouldn't entire discount the possibility that I am confused and/or stupid.

Confused, maybe, but not stupid. That's still some great advice.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

how many codices don't have skyfire? is this a common thing, or is it really just the handful of old codices? I assume GK are getting some if they don't already.

is there a reason they didn't errata skyfire into the old codices like dark eldar?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Okay, thank you! I missed that small paragraph. I'm trying to work my way around these rules before I start making DE lists.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

For anyone that plays or knows Dark Eldar well, I seem to read a lot of bad things about wyches. Are they viable at all? If I want to run an actual wych cult army, would that be in a pretty bad spot (assuming friendly, but competitive games)?

I'm making lists right now and they (Dark Eldar) seem to have so many toys but I'm really afraid that all my favorites are not good.

On a side note, I think a Space Wolves counts-as Celestial Lions (with lions instead of wolves, obviously) would be badass.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Hopefully the new codex gives them darklight grenades or something that lets them assault without overwatch. They seem amazing once they get into assault but... that seems really hard to do.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

I actually think one pretty small change would help Wyches a lot- just make their 4++ apply during the assault phase, rather than only against CC hits. Suddenly you're shrugging off most Overwatch pretty easily, even Flamers and the like; having your transport explode or get hit with a template is still total balls, but that's a problem of its own. If they did that and cut the price on the Wych weapons (10pts for d6-1 S3 WS4 attacks is balls) I think Wyches could end up being fairly respectable.

I almost said this, but couldn't really find a reason for why it would work that way (fluffwise), so went with something that fit a bit better. Not that GW thinks that way, though. Even something like letting wounds be taken from the back when assaulting would be (not as) useful, under the idea that they are flipping around on the charge and jumping over eachother to get into combat. Wyches are really, really cool in concept.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Sharzak posted:

I don't remember if it was you or not

Yeah, it was me. I posted about not being sure what army to play, but everyone (you included) convinced me to just play what I want (which is DE), and not worry about whether it's good or not for now. As usual, I appreciate all of the advice. You seem to have guessed that the toys I'm talking about are things like the pain engines - they just look wicked fun to paint.

AbusePuppy posted:

They certainly can win games- I've seen some very good players running DE, and they still hit like a truck when done right- but DE just have a lot of hurdles to overcome if they want things to go their way right now.

AbusePuppy, you continue to give really good insight on what works well. You mentioned to me before that them being battlebros with Eldar can make up for a lot of their shortcomings, and that's attractive because I would like to play Eldar as well. I'm flying them solo for now, though, and don't really mind an uphill learning curve. Is there anything you've seen that works really well on the battlefield?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Eh... not super thrilled about the Ork Codex or the Space Wolves codex.

Was actually very disappointed in the Ork codex and it only really getting one "new" model. I kind felt that was a rip off.

I'm actually really okay with them releases codices with no new models in an act to get all armies into 7th edition.

I'm very un-okay with them releasing lazy rule-ports that actually hurt the armies, or giving army X sweet tender love and care and then army Y a a bitchslap just to get them out. I'm not saying this happened to GK (I know nothing about the army or the new codex), but that would be most un-cool.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Grey Knights werent very good before, they're a bit worse now but will dominate the psychic phase. So you have to go all in on one gimmick, which makes armies very unfun.

That's very weird. I'm anxious to see what people end up doing with the codex, or if it just falls the way of the Sisters. Do people play them?

I imagine this GK codex is making Necron players wary about an update to their book.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

so I just mocked up my first Dark Eldar list. I'm trying to use models I have (raider, venom, 2x ravagers, wyches, succubus)

it is 1250 points

code:
archon with agoniser, ghostplate armour, PGL [goes with incubi]

succubus with agoniser, haywire grenades [goes with wyches]

6x wyches with haywire grenades, hekatrix, agoniser, PGL
raider with flickerfield, disintegrator

kabalite warriors with blaster
venom with splinter cannon

kabalite warriors with blaster

4x incubi

3x trueborn each with blaster

reavers with heat lance

ravager with flickerfield

ravager with flickerfield
should I be worried about not having a good way of taking down fliers? should I buy a razorwing? does my list suck?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

that rust looks very realistic! what did you to use to get that effect?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Is that marine from the Space Rats or something?

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Space Lizardmen

They could have a giant terradon jetfighter a la The Iron Dragon's Daughter called the Terradrone.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Has anyone seen that the rumor is for Necrons to be next, with an update similar to the GK book? Literally just a crammed-in codex for the new rules with nothing new.

I mean I guess it's all he-said, she-said anyway, but if that's true, Necron players beware! I mean, whatever about rumors vs clickbait, but I'm sure this is what a lot of players already fear is going to happen after that GK book. They still have 4 (?) armies left and seem in a hurry to get the books out. Mainly I'm just wondering if this means GW has a special plan for once they are all released.

edit: Haha, Dakkadakka is crazy! "They're just doing these quick updates to get Matt Ward's name off." :monocle:

opulent fountain fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 22, 2014

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Boon posted:

it doesn't say "depends on the number of powers he knows". It says plain and simple, "depends on his Mastery Level." By extending that to include all the powers potentially generated by a psyker with a certain mastery level you're extending meaning which is not in the wording

Can Psykers know more or less powers than their ML? This whole psychic phase thing is new to me.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Do these assassins have eternal warrior?

Eitherway, their stats look awesome for their points.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Those are amazing looking. One of the best nurgle armies I've seen!

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Bigger is better.

This looks like it's from Dark Souls 40k

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Some of these really bad paintjobs just make me feel bad because they're obviously by someone that just hasn't had enough experience or pointers from people better than them.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

This is really stupid but I've totally been saving money for this DE release. I can't wait to see what we get. I really hope the codex doesn't just cut a bunch of stuff like others have gotten.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

But what about Wyches? Are they really just basically worse now?

They're my favorite part of the DE army, and I was holding off on this codex to see how they would be buffed. They sound awful now, pretty much strictly worse. It's really killing my will to buy the codex, and I was going to pre-order the deluxe edition.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

FagtasticalMondays posted:

You could get annoyed, but the problem is that most codex's dedicated assualt units suffer, not just wyches.

That's more than fair when you put it like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Are Wyches any good? Anyone do anything with them? I keep reading they are about as bad as infantry can get but they're my favorite model in my favorite army. I don't really play, most of the models I own are just because I like them, but I finally seem to have found a scene nearby so I kinda want to start. I think I've posted in here before about this stuff but I was never able to do anything with it and I assume it's been out long enough for the main strategies to be pretty well known.

• Locked thread