Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

I put out a request for quote to a guy advertising on craigslist to paint a couple models for me and the samples he sent me were so bad I couldn't fathom who was actually paying him for them. The ad contained a line that went something like, "make all your friends jealous with these superbly painted models," which was just comical given the quality. I ended up telling him my wife said no, which she did once she saw his poo poo was worse than mine.

What are you trying to get painted, homeslice? More necrons?

Also please post pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

SRM posted:

But then you'd have horribly crippled sergeants leading squads of able-bodied troopers all the time! Necromunda-style advancements really don't work in a game of 40k's scale if you ask me, and I love me some Necromunda.

So every army would end up as Iron Hands?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If I remember right, the General's Compendium had a pretty decent injury table for Fantasy. It was only used for heroes and lords if they were taken out during a game. Results ranged from losing an arm, eye, or leg to being captured by the enemy, breaking out, and rejoining their army in a heroic fashion. It could probably be adapted pretty easily for 40k though you'd probably want to take things like bionics into account. So maybe losing an arm or whatever wouldn't be a permanent thing once a real replacement was fitted. I'm pretty sure the book has advancement rules too, but they were obviously intended for Fantasy. The entire thing is available on scribd for some reason so it's pretty easy to check out yourself.

Edit: Now that I think about it, that book had pretty decent rules for a map-based campaign. I bet they could be easily adapted to 40k too.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 26, 2014

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Dug out my 4th ed rulebook, the 'experience' rules are pretty basic but kinda neat. Essentially each unit you take gains experience during battles, and can lose experience if they take too many casualties or you switch around their equipment.

For every 1000xp a unit has, you roll on on a chart which gives you a once per battle re-roll, e.g. a unit of infantry may be able to re-roll a Morale check, or all failed to-wound rolls in a single phase. Also if you earn enough XP the unit changes to an Elites choice.

Somewhat laughably there's mention in there that various Codexes will contain additional rules for those armies gaining experience for their own agendas, though I don't remember this featuring in any of the books (except maybe Daemonhunters?).

There's also a ton of cool conversions in that section to represent seasoned campaigners!

Pretty sure it'd be simple to adapt the rules for whatever edition you're using, just needs a little rebalancing and changing some redundant options (e.g. the Vehicle skill which allows you to force an opponent to re-roll on the glancing hits table).

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

Speaking of conversions- any ideas for how to kit bash some cool Myrmidon Destructors? The stock models are ok, but I'm not a fan of the arm guns and the sculpts are single pose. They also come with 3 different weapon sets, meaning I would have to either buy 9 to complete the set or do some conversions anyway.

I'm thinking of using some Thallax, giving them Cataphracti arms, and sculpting some robes (or using black templar torsos) onto the front. Something like this:

That's awesome! Looks extremely dangerous.

BULBASAUR posted:

No idea what to do with the heads though.
e: Probably needs more skulls

Put a servo skull in there and call it a sensor array. So yes.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 26, 2014

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hollismason posted:

They get some poo poo from people but if I paid to have models painted it'd probably be with Frontline, I've never heard any super bad poo poo about them and the quality for their level 1 or whatever is pretty nice.

Plus their super supportive of the community as a whole with the running of tournaments etc.. Plus their battle mats are pretty keen.

I just like them as a company.

edit:

Speaking of which I think I was suppose to write something.

They are local to me and I am friends with Reece, Frankie and Jason (the paint manager). I really like the way they have approached their service.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Buggies are a good screen. It is what I use them for.

I think that Dethkoptas are now a decent choice if you want a screen. Their armour and jink save means that they will shrug-off some of the fire coming their way. Buggies are AV10 with 2HP so can die to small arms fire (slightly harder to damage than Koptas bt also harder to OHKO).

I think koptas make a better screen as they should stay alive longer due to armour and jink saves. A KFF won't project out and protect buggies any more so they are more exposed to incoming fire. You also have the old chain reaction problem I suffered last game, rare as it may be, in that one exploding buggy takes HP from another. Though this problem is much less concerning than a failed moral check.

Koptas can also turbo boost off and assault something if needed.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

What are you trying to get painted, homeslice? More necrons?

Also please post pictures.

I was trying to cost out Horus and my Warhound Titan. This was actually a few months ago but luckily I've still got the pictures. I really want to know who was paying for this or what blind person he was hocking these to.

This is a piece (of poo poo) he said he was working on for another person:

Prices were unvelievable: $30 to paint Horus, $75 to paint the Titan, $15 to magnetize and pin the drat thing. I have no idea where he came up with them.

panascope fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 26, 2014

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
Any advice for dealing with invisible units? I mostly play Necrons - though I could add some psykers to my guard.

Getting tired of having to roll a million sixes to do anything to my opponents already super tough death star units.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Sir Teabag posted:

Any advice for dealing with invisible units? I mostly play Necrons - though I could add some psykers to my guard.

Getting tired of having to roll a million sixes to do anything to my opponents already super tough death star units.

Tesla weapons are probably the only thing you can do against invisible units. Every 6 turns into 3 hits. Other than that, uh, transcendent C'Tan maybe for the D-strength movement power?

Germ
May 7, 2013

I finally finished my 2000-point Nurgle army! Just in time for the Ordo Fanaticus Club Challenge in September. I suppose I still have a display board and one piece of set decoration (a Land Raider that has been hit with a vortex missile that Fix made for me, so it'll fit into our team display board), but being done with the army proper feels great. I'll never have to paint green again... except for the fact that I need to update my Wood Elves ... :suicide:

My Nurgle Bikes:

A rhino

A squad of Plague Marines to go in them:

My second unit of Plague Bearers, consisting of the first GW model I purchased and a variety of my facorite models from across the editions:

The entire warband of Morbus Maggotkin, Exalted of Nurgle. Put on my Necron display board (which will get a repaint in grey for the tournament) and squeezed into my lightbox (which is too small for the job).

Some poorly-lit closeups:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Very cool looking army, more close up of that Soul Grinder hidden away , that looks boss. Everything looks great! Really like the use of white.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Thanks! I posted the Soulgrinder a while back, but here's a few. Parts are from the Defiler kit, a Warhammer Giant, the CHaos Spawn Kit, and a Forge World Nurgle dreadnought hand. And lots of greenstuff.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Those are amazing looking. One of the best nurgle armies I've seen!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

HardCoil posted:

Put a servo skull in there and call it a sensor array. So yes.

Dude. Yes! Thank you! That's a brilliant idea.

:magical: Most goons in the painting thread have better 1st models... when they were 15. Love the dirty nails and coke zero in the background. The kitchen looks like it belongs in a musty smelling trailer full of cats.

Sir Teabag posted:

Template weapons?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Tesla weapons are pretty good at dealing with Invisible units because the negative is almost a benefit.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

lol

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
He modeled him tripping in the mud

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

panascope posted:

brilliance

Bring back the EoW Unspiration thread thanks in advance

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Some of those I wouldn't rag on someone for posting in the oath threads or whatever (though the third one is pretty terrible by any standard) but yeah, charging money for that poo poo? :frogout:

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Germ posted:

The entire warband of Morbus Maggotkin, Exalted of Nurgle. Put on my Necron display board (which will get a repaint in grey for the tournament) and squeezed into my lightbox (which is too small for the job).

So smooth, so fabulous. Loving both the paintjobs and the conversions.

All the recent talk of commissions is firing me up again. Summer has been hectic with work and socializing, but winter should calm things down a bit. I'll probably start looking for a client again soon. Would love to do a heavily converted army of Eldar Exodites, Thousand Sons with Tomb King models as Daemons, Chaos Renegades with Fantasy monsters gunned and armored up as tanks, etc.

Wish I could post pictures, but my image host is down. Got some crazy jungle terrain in progress, plus some more Catachan. Not to mention a scratchbuild Squiggoth and kitbashed Dimachaeron...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Soulfucker posted:

Bring back the EoW Unspiration thread thanks in advance

Yes please

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I would love for an SA Un-Inspiration thread. It was my favorite art of EoW.

Is EoW even around anymore?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

That one is my fav because he sent it to me a couple days after I initially contacted him like it was the one that would seal the deal.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

Is EoW even around anymore?

Nope

The dickogres will live on in our hearts

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Oh the halcyon days when Marines were 5'7 and armed primarily with barbeque lighters.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

It would be the best spin-off thread possible.

Hell, I'll dig up some old goodies:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I've always thought the white and purple or white and green was the better colour scheme for Nurgle.

I really dig that orange, is that a pigment? I think that's what they call the powders right the weathering stuff?

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Soulfucker posted:

To be fair, that terribly painted Daemon Prince is actually kinda terrifying.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I love how expensive some of those are. The Daemon Prince is a $50 kit and the Tau millipede is like $200 worth of kit bodies. Post those wretched dreadnought/sentinel conversions that gave it 4 legs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Soulfucker posted:

This is actually kind of awesome.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BULBASAUR posted:

He modeled him tripping in the mud

its looks more like he's slipping on a Great Unclean Ones diarrhoea poo poo

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ijyt posted:

This is actually kind of awesome.

Yeah, and the pigtails marine is perfectly acceptable as far as the painting goes. No comment on its other attributes. :shepface:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

panascope posted:

I love how expensive some of those are. The Daemon Prince is a $50 kit and the Tau millipede is like $200 worth of kit bodies. Post those wretched dreadnought/sentinel conversions that gave it 4 legs.

I have a bunch saved at home and can post later- including classics like doc thunder, 4 legged drednoughts, and The Good Stuff (TM) obliterators

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Raphus C posted:

Buggies are a good screen. It is what I use them for.

I think that Dethkoptas are now a decent choice if you want a screen. Their armour and jink save means that they will shrug-off some of the fire coming their way. Buggies are AV10 with 2HP so can die to small arms fire (slightly harder to damage than Koptas bt also harder to OHKO).

I think koptas make a better screen as they should stay alive longer due to armour and jink saves. A KFF won't project out and protect buggies any more so they are more exposed to incoming fire. You also have the old chain reaction problem I suffered last game, rare as it may be, in that one exploding buggy takes HP from another. Though this problem is much less concerning than a failed moral check.

Koptas can also turbo boost off and assault something if needed.

Deffkoptas also get a scout move which is good for nabbing a quick turn 1 maelstrom of war objective or flying into the enemy deployment zone as a nuisance/distraction.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Flamer survivors.

Bigger is better.

I have no mouth and I must scream.

I do have a mouth but I still can't scream.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Ahhhhhhh Christ the no mouth guy

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
This is the only Unspiration thing I have lying around:

But I secretly absolutely love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Sir Teabag posted:

Well, Necrons are actually in a pretty good place for dealing with Invisible stuff for a number of reasons. Tesla has been brought up already, but it bears repeating: Necrons have a lot of twin-linked Tesla, which barely suffers any penalty at all when it comes to shooting Invisible units. (Note that the Arc rule will also affect them normally, as it doesn't roll to hit.) Overlords are also a great way to put some damage in- the Sweep Attack rule, because it is neither a shooting nor close combat attack, will hit normally and also bypasses that obnoxious cover save they inevitably have. Similarly, in close combat Mindshackle Scarabs don't care how impossible it is to see you, they simply cause the enemy to autohit themselves.

One common change that many groups play with is having Invisibility reduce enemies to WS1/BS1 when attacking, rather than forcing hit on 6s/snap shots; it makes the power a lot more fair and lets the weapons you would think would be most effective, i.e. area effect ones like flamers and blasts, do their job.

Screw you, buddy, I like the idea of that Tau drone carrier. :colbert:

Not, uh, enough to spend the $200+ it would take to build one like that, but...

• Locked thread