Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Boon posted:

Getting ready for some NOVA action:
Love the details on the jetbikes.
Hate the red canopies.

The Christmas theme on the snow board is pretty badass, tho. "Santa Eldrad is bring you some FLAMING loving DEATH for the yuletide, Timmy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
As a side note, Khorne is pleased with the page count of this thread.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I like how whomever scored the painting section blasted right by the giant, red, "STOP! Only continue beyond this point if the army scored a 09 or a 12 in Section 1" sentence right in the middle of the page after only giving you a 6.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
True, but the first part is the only one that even has a "09" or "12" option. Ergo...

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Uroboros posted:

Additionally, I apparently need to get an even smaller brush for the eyes, because the lenses are set so far back in the helms, anything but the thinnest brush is going to touch the edge, I may redo the eyes at some point.
No, you need to paint the eyes first such that you don't have to worry about it. Always start with the deepest recesses of a model and work "up." It's much easier to keep from slopping the edging color into the recess than it is to pain the recess after the edge is done.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JackMack posted:

Immorten Joe Ork sounds awesome.
Quirk at Miniwargaming dot com has already modeled an "Immorken Joe" for his army. It's pretty rad.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Glass cannon is pretty apt. They hit like a ton of bricks, but most of their troops are T3, even the ones with 2 or more Wounds. That means they suffer from Instant Death a lot. But a unit of command-buffed Grav-Cannon-sporting Kataphron Destroyers is loving terrifying. Whatever unit it chooses to target will probably evaporate.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
AdMech too. They have a startling amount of Haywire weapons.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I loves me some Tallarns:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Moola posted:

someone convert a cool Big Boss mini using a talaran dude, cheers
Why convert, when you already have AL RAHEEM!

But if it's Tallarn conversions you want, how about this Rough Rider?

Or maybe these Veterans w/ shotguns, demo charge, and flamer (they never made a Tallarn flamer mini, so I have to convert them all)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, I always liked the Praetorians, but by the time they came out I already had scads of Tallarns. I had started to get my hands on some old metal Catachans to use as Penal Legion (because they look like loving convicts to start with), but then GW went and removed the Penal Legion from the Codex. Assholes. :bahgawd:

Here they are with their spit-and-polish warden-sergeant:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
The beauty of Imperial Guard was that it was great fodder for conversions. You didn't have to stick to the published regiments. For one of my Veteran squads, I actually converted a bunch of old (and by "old" I mean 2nd Edition 40K ca 1990) Stormtroopers. This was back before they had carapace armor.

I trimmed off the cables from the old hotshot lasgun and used a bit from the old GorkaMorka Mutie Raider (the mount of which was used for my Tallarn Rouchrider conversion) as a backpack

With the rope I thought they looked like elite mountaineering infantry, so I incorporated a mountain motif into their patch. The minis themselves are really old (one of the very first plastic infantry kits) and therefore have very little detail (especially in the faces, which are pretty squashed looking). But when you stick them with some vintage metal Stormtrooper special weapons and sergeant painted up in the same camo scheme, they look pretty decent on the tabletop.

The 10th Carcassonne Mountaineers' Regiment.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Lord Twisted posted:

I think Im going to be focused on just bringing an absolute shitload of tanks.
You loving WHW goonhams better take a bunch of pictures such that the rest of us can live vicariously through you. :colbert:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Who needs arms when you can have MORE loving MISSILES, BABY!!!!!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Phyresis posted:

Those models look great, this will be a good Codex.
Those two statements don't necessarily follow.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Babe Magnet posted:

I can't imagine any reason GW would drop him. Did anyone really have any problems with Marbo?
Because it's hard to claim that your IP is 100% original always all-the-time-since-the-beginning when your bare-chested, lone-wolf, death-dealing army man is literally an anagram of Rambo. Oh, and whose fictional first name is the nickname of the actor who portrayed Rambo.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I still have all of my BFG stuff; a bunch of Imperial, a couple of Chaos, and a fair amount of Necron. Oh, and a couple of Space Marine Strike Cruisers. :smug:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
The relative strength/weakness of the Tyranid (or Ork, for that matter) codices (see what I did there?) in many cases has less to do with the actual army list itself than it does with the terrain on which you're playing. Any army that relies on close combat to get poo poo done is going to struggle in open terrain against a gun-line-style shooty army. This in turn is why Tyranid and Ork armies tend to do so poorly at tournaments - because tournament tables tend to be goddamn deserts. If you've got one decent-sized LOS-breaking terrain piece in the middle of the table (and a little bit of scatter terrain around the edges where it does you exactly zero loving good), your tournament table might well be described as "lush."

But if you play in denser terrain, things start to even out pretty quickly. Check out some of the battle reports at miniwargaming.com - Matt, one of the owners, plays a lot of 'Nids and manages to make them pretty freaking vicious. They play with pretty dense terrain (lots of ruins and LOS blockers), where you can't just blast away at the bugs for two whole turns before the tattered and ineffectual remnants of their army reach your lines. It makes a huge difference.

Basically, if roughly 1/3 of your table isn't terrain, and if that terrain isn't concentrated towards the center of the board, you are essentially handing the victory to the army with better shooting.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

LingcodKilla posted:

I feel like some of the cc armies would be easily well served by being able to buy terrain. I know aegis lines n stuff but like actual buildings and forests.
Tyranids especially should be able to buy creepy "converting yo' planet to biomass" terrain.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

thegodofchuck posted:

White Dwarf #69
And this poo poo makes me crazy. Quit putting out substantive rules in your goddamn catalog, GW.

Fake edit: Oh, wait, this isn't the Death Pool thread.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BaconCopter posted:

The tiny amount GW products I've bought in the past... oh, 10 years were for painting purposes and came with 30+% discounts or were second hand eBay buys.
Wait, you're that fucker that GW is talking about who buys the minis because they want to model "great looking armies" without actually playing the game, aren't you?
:frogout:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
What, you don't think that design is :krad: ?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
That is some loving dedication to a lost cause, right there.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Post 9-11 User posted:

The first club I went to was held, after hours, in a side room at a high school, since the hobby store owner hosting it was renovating the shop. I... it was a good experience, it was completely consensual!
I remember going to a club once that was in the basement of some shut-down retail space. You got to it through an unmarked door in an otherwise non-descript alcove. You had to know it was there. Pretty sure they were stealing power. To call it "sketchy" is to give all other sketchy things the veneer of "legit."

Good times, though. Good times.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

muggins posted:

I'm near Flint. We have club members in Metro d now tho, all the way up to saginaw. Fresh Coast Gaming is our club, check us out on yt and fb.
Will do. I'm in A^2.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

muggins posted:

GW is opening a store there lol
That's ironic considering they closed one down here three years ago.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Master Twig posted:

Purple with gold and silver accents. Pimp those bots out.

This.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Skullclad Fleshblaster. Aw, yeah!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Well, they've gotta do something about the fact that the new Space Marine Codex hosed the Blood Angels out of a point of BS on their scouts. That merits a whole new Codex release, doesn't it? Right, guys?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I'm a Rustoleum man, myself.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cyclomatic posted:

Oh god, wtf, I'm literally wanting to just collect some models to put on a table and find myself annoyed by wondering what rules apply... How did that happen?
Yes...yeeessssss. Feel the POWER of the Sigmar side flowing through you. Give in to your Decurion! Let go your Unbound!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BULBASAUR posted:

Instead of making the rules better for new players they just threw formations ontop of what exists and made things more complicated.
Indeed, and gods help you if you think those "starter" formations are even remotely balanced against either each other or the rest of the game as a whole.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Uroboros posted:

My friends said I should of done some sort of bright wash in the shield engravings to try to give them a glowing effect, I don't know how well that would've worked. Thoughts?
It would look like rear end, as OSL usually does. Your Honor Guard are beautiful as they are.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

PantsOptional posted:

Many years ago I heard that some of the different Tyranid units were supposed to reflect the genes of various other armies being absorbed into the hive and repurposed - for example, Tyrant Guard were supposed to be Tyranids with Space Marine genes spliced in. Was this ever the case, or was this a case of people making up weird rumors?

Yeah, back in the day this was the fluff. Biovores were Orks, Zoanthropes were Eldar, etc. The minis still have some of those aesthetics, but I don't know if the fluff still reflects it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Cooked Auto posted:

I discovered last week that Infinity has werewolves in kilts with a surprisingly awesome model to boot so I'm kind of disappointed that GW manages to gently caress up space werewolves like this.
Yeah, the McMurrough mini is pretty bad-rear end. I'm not as big a fan of the USAriadna Dog Soldier, mostly because the pose isn't as good. But the new Antipodes (Infinity's vague equivalent of Fenrisian Wolves) are pretty cool.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
New thread title: Warhammer 40K: Literally. 40,000 posts. Like this game, most of them are poo poo

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Uroboros posted:

Silly question, if I take a Gladius Strike Force with a battle Demi and stormwing formation I'm allowed to put models from the Demi in the Stormwing formation so that they arrive from reserves with it, right?
No. A unit can only belong to one formation (exception - if the formation to which the unit belongs is itself part of another "combined" formation a la the Gladius Strike Force). So units in the Demi company are also part of the Gladius Strike Force (and benefit from the buffs to both), but cannot also belong to the Stormwing formation.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
OK, Uroboros didn't ask if he could put models in the transports but if he could put them in "the formation." In light of this, do you understand our answer?

Yes, if a model/unit with transport capacity isn't dedicated to carrying a specific unit, any unit from your army can start the game embarked upon it. That's why Flesh Tearers as allies are so popular - they can purchase a cheap, empty Drop Pod as a Fast Attack choice. For pretty much all other Space Marine forces, Drop Pods are a dedicated transport. Aside: I view this as yet another way GW are poo poo at writing rules.

Does this make more sense?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Naramyth posted:

And? It's like a squad of Nurgle Terminators.
Yes, except Nurgle Terminators don't get 2+ invulnerable saves, meaning they die in droves to concentrated plasma, grav, and lascannon fire. That's a much easier nut to crack than something super-shooty that forces you to snap-fire AND gets a 2+ invulnerable save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TheChirurgeon posted:

E: in the case of stuff that can wreck the Havocs in CC, I'm really only worried about the Sicaran Infiltrators, which can be a huge pain in the rear end and can Outflank
Yes, but they're Toughness 3, so your autocannons will wreck them but good before they can charge.

• Locked thread