Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Moola posted:

Here's how I house rule it atm, you can charge 2D6 or choose to charge 6", but you must choose which before rolling.

Works fine for us.

So, you never ever fail a 6" charge, and have the chance for better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Thundercracker posted:

I originally figured it would be ruled as a turret or 180 degree weapon at best.

What do you mean "at best"? What's better than a 360 degree fire arc from a turret?

Hull mount is pretty funny though, it can't hit poo poo that's close to it in the front now since the narrow end will have to be in a 45 degree arc from the nose of the thing, and the broad end can't go backwards. Unless Torrent rules changed.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Post 9-11 User posted:

You've been able to keep the squad inside the transport since, if I recall correctly, FAQ's beginning in 5th Edition. Before then, especially in 3rd Edition, units inside transports were in a pocket dimension of retardation, GW has slowly crept the unit into the same dimension as any other models even when they're not physically on the table. It began with measuring just about everything from the edge of the hull- leadership bubbles, psychic tests, throwing blood packs out the hatch, et cetera. That open topped transports take hits is the latest step of the trend.

It's still a boost due to Objective Secured, but the pulpy insides could remain in their tin can.

Units in vehicles could not score in 6th, I am almost certain. They could in 5th, but it was too strong with how cheap and durable vehicles were then so it got nerfed in 6th.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
That's not really true in Fantasy anymore anyway. 12 dice cap and now that all the old magic powerhouse books are updated (Lizards, DE, etc) there's very few ways to get many extra dice. One of our best WoC players has stopped using a L4 and goes with 2 L2's for example, and it's been really good.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Saw some Movie Marine stats, and you guys were actually lowballing them motherfuckers. They were totally nuts stats, and 100 points each base, IIRC. Sarge, Special and Heavy were more.

WS6 BS6(?) S6 T6 I6(?) A3 W3 Ld10, armor was 3+ with a reroll IIRC. May have also counted as Invul for shots that were AP3 or better, I can't recall. Grenades were something like S8 AP3 large blasts, the Missile Launcher was a 2-shot lascannon while the lascannon was a S10 AP1 infinite line like AbusePuppy said. They were rending in CC, from combat knives, and the Sarge had a chainsword that counted as a power weapon (ignored all saves at the time, so AP2 equivalent now?). Bolters were S6 AP4, Assault 3, Rending I think. The flamer was some sort of horrendus torrent weapon I think, like AP 3-4. I don't recall them having any other particular special abilities but it's entirely possible they did.

The body doubles sort of broke it because buying 10-15 point extra wounds on a T6, 3+ reroll body was dumb. Otherwise it actually wouldn't be too crazy to just shove into 6-7th edition I imagine. Was really only meant to be a silly scenario thing anyway, but I thought it was pretty hilarious.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

TheChirurgeon posted:

What's the flames of war implementation?

It's team-by-team (model) for FoW. Everyone shoots normally, friendly teams close enough can fire even if they're not being directly charged. Means a very spread unit can be hit piecemeal, or several densely packed ones can provide extra fire. Trick is, if the defending unit is "pinned down" (took 5 or more hits that shooting phase; note hits, not wounds/failed saves), then their rate of fire is cut in half. Drops most guns to 1 shot. If the defenders score 5 hits on the enemy infantry then they are driven back, if not then the assault proceeds and combat is fought sort of similarly to 40k. Losing an assault tends to be decisive, and it's one of the only ways to easily shift dug in infantry.

Veteran, concealed, gone to ground FoW infantry is only hit on 6's and has a 3+ save, for example. It's hard to kill, but slow and not usually amazing against armor. Very different dynamic, and there's ways to get them out of cover or pin more easily in the game (recon teams, artillery, air strikes), but assault is the high-risk, high-reward move for sure.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Cataphract posted:

Oh sure, it wouldn't port well at all.

But what if it was a hybrid; declaring over watch meant you forwent your shots but could fire at an assaulting unit at full BS. that way over watch is a tactical decision and not something that happens automatically and won't bog down an opponents turn with a delayed shooting phase.

Losing a shitload of models when you declare the charge seems punishing to assaulters. Like, losing them in the shooting phase when you're probably in cover and can then move closer/at a different angle to get close is one thing, you have your turn to react. Losing a shitload when you declare the assault, when you can no longer change your plan or set up a combo charge or deal with the unit taking excessive casualties is bad. People already bitch about losing models to overwatc and failing charges, Orks and Nids would suffer a lot from this.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

AgentF posted:

What is there in the way of US wargaming stores that will deliver to Australia?

If you're willing to pay shipping Atomic Empire might. I have no idea what the costs would be like or if they ship outside the US, but they have a GW products webstore so I imagine they don't give a poo poo about the trade embargo crap either.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Ratflinger posted:

The thing I just do not fathom is how GW has the balls to shut down all manner of communication other than including some one-way promo material in White Dwarf. It is like they live in a past decade when it comes to the subject of communication and community. I do not get why they do not have official forums where their designers post.

Because people complained while still buying mountains of stuff anyway. It's not like GW ever showed even a hint of listening to or responding to customer complaints about anything other than damaged or missing product. If they're not going to take customer feedback, they don't really need to maintain the sort of relationship Facebook, a forum, Twitter, etc provide. It's just wasted effort for them.

Forgeworld, notably, does appear to listen to feedback, releases playtest rules that often change dramatically for some models by release of the book they're in, and is (shock and gasp) seen in a much better light than GW prime. Despite being even more expensive (sorry, Austrailia) than GW, with often massive effort needed to assemble the units and really loving expensive books, people don't hate on FW nearly as much. I think it's at least partly due to the fact that there's at least a little back and forth with FW. Also, they tend to make even cooler poo poo that people drool over, but that's entirely their purpose I guess.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

serious gaylord posted:

I've always found it a bit interesting that Forgeworld get a pass on their prices because they're a 'luxury', despite the entire game being a 'luxury' to begin with.

Yeah, I don't really get it either. Then again, I've not taken the plunge into 30k or other FW stuff so it's not something I've ever had to deal with personally.

NTRabbit posted:

If they're not taking any customer feedback then the rest is irrelevant - they've already failed at corporate 101

I agree, but from GW's standpoint, they were spending time and effort doing something they (as far as anyone can tell) completely ignored. And they didn't have an experience PR person to even use them as positive tools either. I think they dropped the ball on it, but I'm not in charge, either.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Dunno about 7th, but 6th you could only toss one grenade per squad per turn.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I'm not sure why you're resorting to namecalling, 3rd grade insult here, but I never said you were making observations about the hobby at large.

Probably because you are a terrible poster who's basically Noctis 2.0.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

starkebn posted:

I would think shipping volume would probably be more important in a container on a boat. That is higher too though I suppose. Still, it has to be shipped everywhere from where it's printed (China?) the same.

That's what gets me. If it's going by boat from China, the "shipping costs" logic would mean that the UK would be the most expensive due to the longer distance. The US and Canada would probably be cheapest followed by Austrailia, probably. But that's not the case. And it still doesn't explain why models are similarly expensive everywhere yet the AU book is massively inflated.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Sulecrist posted:

*IIRC, Kill Team originally came out in a series of White Dwarf articles, and it pitted an elite squad against a platoon of bumbling goons rolling three dudes deep. It was pretty awesome but there wasn't much to customize on the defender side except that you could have Elite Mooks and a Boss and stuff. I can't remember how much of that made it into the 4th Edition book, but the 4th Edition rules were for much more symmetrical forces, as I recall.

Yeah, basically. The enemy team had squads of 3 basic grunts (Tac Marines, Necron Warriors, Guardsmen, etc), with the starting number being determined by the army, Marines had fewer squads than IG for example. Then you had a small point allotment to spend on a boss guy.

The Kill Team had a point limit and certain "hard" and "soft" rules they had to follow. Hard rules (IIRC things like no HQ or psykers, no MC's) could never be broken. Soft rules (no 3+ shot guns, no heavy guns, no 3+ wound models) could be broken, but gave the enemy more mook squads and more points to spend of the boss.

Game started, units moved randomly and had limited "view". As the KT did noisy stuff like firing guns, assaulting and not wiping a team, using jump packs, alarm counters built up and increased view distance, and there was some sort of mechanic to fight over control of the movement of the mooks. If the KT was ever spotted, the defender got full control of the mooks and could swarm the KT. There were a bunch of scenarios and objectives, it was pretty cool.

Then they turned it into a rehash of 40k in 40 Minutes. Woo.

Edit: As I recall you could take a kill team of like 4 Deathwing, which each broke 2 rules (2+ armor and an invul save) at least. Try and just brute force through since you basically gave the enemy team a shitload of mooks and a super-badass boss from all the extra points. All sorts of fun stuff.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 19, 2014

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Safety Factor posted:

:stare: I see that your trend of getting new avatars bought for you over bad online games continues.

The SC thread is amazing to watch, from a distance. The number of goons who think that features being delayed repeatedly at a pre-alpha stage of development = terrible devs who are utterly retarded is astonishing. Whole thread is full of super entitled dicks.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Looking at things now, it's possible for shooting to cause pinning and Morale tests to boyz now, right? Even above ten model squads?

So, you could potentially kill 8 orks in the shooting phase with a barrage or snipers, forcing a pinning test that does d6 s4 his, then a Morale test for another d6? Not game breaking, but that seems pretty poo poo for the ork player.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Oh, stop being a drama queen. I'm not saying that DoW3 would be a MOBA but they could fit it in like they did last stand.

Each player would pick a faction and have a spawn area that would send lovely infantry guys forward across a battle field. Bitches would fight in the center and all kinds of death would happen. Thousands would die in minutes. Winged Hive Tyrants would be fighting Jumppack SM Captans with Ork Warbosses ramping off destroyed tanks with double power klaws to kill both sides at once.

But seriously, make it less like a traditional MOBA and more like two factions fighting on a battlefield and you just control a hero.

Zergling Tyranid blood maps?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Holy gently caress that is insane.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Bit the bullet on the AdMech stuff. Still not too sure what to do for my HQ, though. How do people run their Magos?

From what I've seen around the net, they run them pimped as hell. They can be something like T6 with 3++ and a bunch of wounds, plus a pretty solid gun and the servo harness thing. And they need to be since they can't join squads. Most lists also ran a second one that was much cheaper to have extra "babysitting" power for the...Castellax(?). The MC troop guys. If you don't have many of them you can probably get away with just 1 Magos.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I'm really dying to play a game before any Ork dataslates come out, if for no other reason than to see if new Mob Rule really is as crippling as it appears. I already scoop up shovels-full of boyz every game I play (nearly always with 2 30-boy mobs), so losing 1/2 d6 more every time they take a morale or pinning test will just seem familiar, even if it stings a bit more. What I truly can't get over is losing fearless, especially given how fluffy it was. We went from:

:orks: "OI, LOOKIT DAT 'UGE DEMON FING! LET'S TAKE ITS 'ORNS FER DA BOSS!" to
:( "No, it's scary! So are explosions!" :derp:

Fearless until the mob was beneath 10 models always manifested in my head as the change from "WE'RE INVINCIBLE!" to the sudden realization that, if only for the moment, the boyz weren't the biggest, baddest bunch of motherfuckers strutting around the galaxy. Can't say I'm looking forward to shaking in my WS1 boots.

What's gonna suck even more than losing d6 orks, is when you fail your Ld 7 on a mob of 30 that lost 8, and roll a 1 on the mob rule chart, and watch the unit run off the table. Is regrouping a morale test? If you fail to regroup would you have to roll on the mob rule chart?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

oh boy, price chat. now someone say you can easily make a 40k army using mantic miniatures which are better quality for cheaper, and then someone make a vague allegory to how if you pay msrp you're a literal subhuman. i can't wait to see if something different happens in this, edge of tomorrow 2: the wh40k thread never changes.

This criticism might be more well received from someone not insane enough to spend $1000 in a month on warhams. I mean, I assume you've got enough disposable income it's not an issue for you (I hope :ohdear: ), but that's still a fuckload of 'hams in 30 days.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I'm pretty sure that sculptor has played too much Diablo 3. That Nid is gonna bring you to a REALM OF TER-ROR!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Hollismason posted:

That camouflage actually does kind of work which is weird. I don't know why though.

It's an optical illusion of sorts, makes your brain have a hard time figuring out which way it's facing and moving, and which parts are what. Which was handy back before computer assisted aiming and guided weapons, etc.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Can you take more than one assassin, or is it still an 0-1 type choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

HiveCommander posted:

Are they led by Chapter Master Pythagoras, by any chance?

And his inner circle of Techmarine advisors! :v:

• Locked thread