Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have just put wash in my airbrush for the first time. Why the hell have I not done this before.? This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

You can shave them off easily, though. Alternatively, hotglue colored pencils to the front of your $40 tank.

"Learn one weird tip this guy uses to cheaply wargame! GW corporate hates him!"

The tank shouldn't be loving $40 anyway. I'm at the stage that if someone wanted to use a coloured pencil to represent an entire tank I'd let him.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Was working on a model, picked something up off my desk but my xacto knife came with it and flew blade first into the knuckle on my right index finger. Blood everywhere :emo:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
oh boy, price chat. now someone say you can easily make a 40k army using mantic miniatures which are better quality for cheaper, and then someone make a vague allegory to how if you pay msrp you're a literal subhuman. i can't wait to see if something different happens in this, edge of tomorrow 2: the wh40k thread never changes.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Was working on a model, picked something up off my desk but my xacto knife came with it and flew blade first into the knuckle on my right index finger. Blood everywhere :emo:

how hard did you pick whatever up that other poo poo went flying?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

ghetto wormhole posted:

You probably shouldn't have followed this guide for model building then.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

oh boy, price chat.

Always a good idea to keep things in perspective.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

oh boy, price chat. now someone say you can easily make a 40k army using mantic miniatures which are better quality for cheaper, and then someone make a vague allegory to how if you pay msrp you're a literal subhuman. i can't wait to see if something different happens in this, edge of tomorrow 2: the wh40k thread never changes.

This criticism might be more well received from someone not insane enough to spend $1000 in a month on warhams. I mean, I assume you've got enough disposable income it's not an issue for you (I hope :ohdear: ), but that's still a fuckload of 'hams in 30 days.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

how hard did you pick whatever up that other poo poo went flying?

It was a cutting board I was trying to use to mark something before I cut it but apparently I didn't see the knife sitting on top of it when I grabbed it and the next thing I know I'm bleeding everywhere. Must've hit a blood vessel or something because the cut is only like a millimeter long.

AgentF posted:

Cracks me up every time.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 15, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

i spent a grand on forge world last month thanks for bringing it up

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'd do it again if I had to.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
Question to anyone who's made Nobz:

Let's say I wanted to make a Nob with a Kombi-Weapon and a Big Choppa. I'm not severly disadvantaging myself in terms of CCW (not including Power Klaws being better (I'm trying to save on points)). Like, you don't get a bonus attack since the Power Klaw is unwieldy anyway, and you still get four attacks on the charge if you have a two-handed Shoota and a two-handed Big Choppa?

Furthermore, if I did do this, can you guys think of any models that only have one hand on a combi-Shoota? All of the combi-weapons in the Nobz kit have the hand on the underside of the barrel. I tried looking at some Kromlech stuff, but I didn't see anything there either. I guess I could just file the hand on the barrel down, but I wanted to see if anyone had any other options.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

AgentF posted:

Pro loving click right there.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I don't have the book on me, but I'm pretty sure Unwieldy makes you attack at I1 in 7th; you still get the bonus attack from charging.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Esser-Z posted:

I don't have the book on me, but I'm pretty sure Unwieldy makes you attack at I1 in 7th; you still get the bonus attack from charging.
Right but you get that anyway, so I'm pretty sure if I'm putting a Power Klaw on someone I can just go ahead and put a Kombi-weapon on them for five more points.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Cataphract posted:

I mean why buy miniatures at all. You can get 100 army men for a buck, better yet just make some dudes out of pipe cleaners and bendy straws and stick them to pennys.

Oh and I painted my morkanaut

I feel like there could be more to it. The paintjob itself is lovely, everything looks good for the most part, but it's a bit too...clean. Perhaps some black and metallic sponged along the bottom edges to liven it up, a bit of rust along the joints, little things to make it seem like it's not just straight out of da forge and on its maiden walk.

Painting those light fixtures on the hips could help too. And drilling the barrels of the big shootas :v:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

The Gate posted:

This criticism might be more well received from someone not insane enough to spend $1000 in a month on warhams. I mean, I assume you've got enough disposable income it's not an issue for you (I hope :ohdear: ), but that's still a fuckload of 'hams in 30 days.

He didn't spend a grand in a month on warhams.

He spent a grand in a month on forgeworld alone. If you look at Super Neat Toy's post history in this and the previous thread you can try to guess exactly how much money he has spent on this hobby in the past couple of months.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Slimnoid posted:

I feel like there could be more to it. The paintjob itself is lovely, everything looks good for the most part, but it's a bit too...clean. Perhaps some black and metallic sponged along the bottom edges to liven it up, a bit of rust along the joints, little things to make it seem like it's not just straight out of da forge and on its maiden walk.

Painting those light fixtures on the hips could help too. And drilling the barrels of the big shootas :v:

I agree, it's really good as it is but I feel like some sponged on Eshin grey would work wonders.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
In his defense, one time I almost spent like $900 on ForgeWorld in one go (the only reason I didn't, is I was too drunk to put in my credit card info correctly).

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Cataphract posted:

I was always a fan of the Tzeentch cube daemon army

I absolutely love this army.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
30 pound 5-man squads add up fast.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I mean, I guess. Hell, I haven't even spent $1000 on my entire army in the three years I've been playing, though that's mostly because a good half of it was bought used.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

It wasn't really price chat until you said it was pricechat. It was conversions using actual garbage chat.

ANAmal.net posted:

In his defense, one time I almost spent like $900 on ForgeWorld in one go (the only reason I didn't, is I was too drunk to put in my credit card info correctly).
I posit that there is nothing more dangerous than a ham drunk enough to go on eBay but sober enough to still be able to enter their Paypal credentials.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Hell you don't even need to do that, ebay and payal both remember your details if you let them. :shepspends:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SRM posted:

It wasn't really price chat until you said it was pricechat. It was conversions using actual garbage chat.

I posit that there is nothing more dangerous than a ham drunk enough to go on eBay but sober enough to still be able to enter their Paypal credentials.

Two posts above the one you quoted.

FW was actually declining my payment info for a while, to the point where I had to call them via telephone. The last time I think I did this was to order Zoo Books as a child.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moola posted:

Hell you don't even need to do that, ebay and payal both remember your details if you let them. :shepspends:
Unchecking that box is the equivalent of giving a friend your keys before a night of drinking. It's just safer that way.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

FW was actually declining my payment info for a while, to the point where I had to call them via telephone. The last time I think I did this was to order Zoo Books as a child.
Ghosthand mentions this on his podcast once in a while. It comes up a lot because they have the name "forge" in their name.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

"An open wallet is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded." - Dawn of War: Wallet Assault

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cataphract posted:

I mean why buy miniatures at all. You can get 100 army men for a buck, better yet just make some dudes out of pipe cleaners and bendy straws and stick them to pennys.

I think are playing orks wrong if you are against scratch build custom stuff.

E: Yes I get you are against lovely builds, but card stock can be made to look good. It's more about effort than materials.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 15, 2014

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Scratchbuilds and conversions are the heart of an Ork army. I really should convert my Battlewagons instead of buying them. Would've converted my buggies, but the Mantic Raptor was PERFECT for them.

On that note, what're the rough dimensions of a Battlewgon? Need to know how big I'm looking for when I get ready to build some!

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 15, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slimnoid posted:

Yeah, you're right, I'll weather it a bit next week. I've just been under the pump to get the army table top ready by Saturday and figured I could skip it for now.

I'm purposefully painting with a small pallet of colours and the vehicles are tending to look a bit flat because they don't have the green on them.

I'll probably just do paint chipping. I want to avoid rust because I've painted so much rust for my death guard. And yeah, I totally didn't see those headlights.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Holy poo poo dude...

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

ANAmal.net posted:

The system does work!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Moola posted:

Holy poo poo dude...

Called someone to order an item, not calling someone in general. That would be really weird.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
My Warham spending record is $2,700 in 1 day. Lets see someone beat that!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I bought the old Space Marine Strike Force with christmas money one time. I don't know why, I still haven't ever fielded the whirlwind.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Sir Teabag posted:

Sounds like the Knight player was going pretty easy on the Tau player, or didn't realize how easily it could have been over had he charged.

Like I said, he's still terrible at the game but a great sport. His jimmies cannot be rustled. I guess being an actual combat veteran makes tiny plastic men seem less consequential.

Cataphract posted:

I was always a fan of the Tzeentch cube daemon army

This guy gets Tzeentch, he gets it more than anyone else in history.

Change-el-ee-doo, neighbor!

Would an army of Flanders mouths be lame? It's simple enough that I can make it even at my sculpting skill level. I mean, I already have the Homer Simpson Greater Daemon Of Nurgle.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 15, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Two Feet From Bread posted:

My Warham spending record is $2,700 in 1 day. Lets see someone beat that!

Didn't you flip almost all of it?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Took a break from Gargoyles to do up the special release Captain, replacing his Stormbolter-on-hip pose with a Sternguard Veteran Combi-melta (which actually fit perfectly without any effort).

Sergeant/Captain Palatine ready for duty!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Looks much better without the stormbolter.

But the sword is still really dumb looking.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Moola posted:

Looks much better without the stormbolter.

But the sword is still really dumb looking.

Don't you make fun of my ridiculous skullsword! :mad:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Don't you make fun of my ridiculous skullsword! pseudo-phallus :mad:

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Skull-phallus?

I thought Khorne hated Slaanesh.

• Locked thread