Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Apparently if you have Scout and Infiltrate , you can Infiltrate then make a Scout Move. That's kind of neat.

You could do this in 6th, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

There is no limit to the number of units you can place in reserve, though if you have no models on the table you will still lose at the end of a game turn. Units from reserve can manifest psychic powers as they please.

Deathwing just got a boost! :unsmith:

It'll be the only one they get this entire edition

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fuegan posted:

Starting to pick up some pace on my 30k Salamanders. They're pretty quick to paint to this standard (going for the FW weathered look rather than crisp edge highlighting) but wondered if anyone might have any tips to make them stand out a little more, if anything? I know the bases could do with a little more to them but it does the job for now.

Maybe do the eyes and helmet slits in a different/brighter color? I'm partial to gold, but I'm biased because that's how I did my marine helmets. I think they look pretty baller and you already hit my thoughts about the base.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I think you guys don't understand what foundation is. It's just something that evens out skin tone and it helps get rid of blemishes. No one would know if you were wearing it and it'd actually make you look better.

I'm saying if you do a battle report and are on camera look your best. It's just a professional thing of course I am a theater performer so I have different standards.

I don't think you understand the people that play this game, or the target audience of those videos.

e: vvvv :stare:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Glad you decided to stay with us.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Post 9-11 User posted:

When Weird Boys first came out it allowed Orks to get a "Wauugh"-like move every turn. Then, 6th happened and it became irrelevant.

Leman Russ tanks have that rule that lets them fire sponsons along with ordnance, now all vehicles get to do it but the Leman Russ still snap fires. Huh.

They're just heavy vehicles now. No more "Lumbering Behemoth" or whatever the old rule was called (it was FAQed to just be a heavy vehicle even then, though in 6th).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

UberJumper posted:

I have a 1000 point game tommorow. My opponent's list is unbounded and he is bringing a loving Stormlord. I am playing IG, how do i take down a Stormlord?

A tank commander in a Vanquisher squadron isn't a bad place to start, ~450 for 3 Vanquishers (with the commander attached). 2 platoons with heavy weapon lascannon squads could be a decent backup as well. 3 AV 14 tanks of your own with their own Vanquisher cannon+lascannons and random lascannons in infantry and weapons squads would be good against a tank that size. I wouldn't want to show any side of it to that many lascannons regardless of the AV. Since he's bringing a big tank like that, there shouldn't be too much more to shoot at and you could probably fit a Manticore or a Deathstrike in your list to counter whatever other chaff he brings. Maybe 2 infantry squads per platoon, and a heavy weapons squad with 3 lascannons each? I'm not looking at a codex right now but I feel like you could get away with a list like that for right around 1000 points. That's a battle-forged list too, your guardsmen would be telling whatever objective claimers he has floating around to get the gently caress off of their objective. :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Post 9-11 User posted:

Begone, vile temptor! Good thing I have no money, I would love to snag those robe-bros, would probably make them into spooky death company (I have Dark Angels and Blood Angels, trying to model and style them to be mix-and-match as I please).

I'm using my robed marines as the veteran sergeants for my squads, as opposed to the standard scrubs that are my sergeants when I'm feeling like skimping on points.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

I hear a lot of people say that the Dark Angels codex doesn't really hold up, and my main interest is in Deathwing. Is it any good?

I think the main advantage of Deathwing right now is that you can try to angle for going second, and reserve all of them for a Deathwing Assault on turn 1, instead of only reserving half of them like in 6th. It would deny your opponent a turn of shooting, and when your terminators do come down they'll be twin-linked for that first turn. That might be their only advantage, though :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I'm used to selling these things in pairs, since HeroClix is a 2d6 game, but I understand you guys use... lots of dice, all at once? How many dice would you want to buy in a set? If they're $5 a die (so $10 a pair, $25 for 5, etc.), does that kick the price point too high?

Sometimes I need to roll around 80 dice, though I tend to break it up into groups of 15 (at most) to make it easier to pick out what I need (3 IG squads combined doing FRF/SRF is a sight to behold :v: ). $5 per die definitely prices me out.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

As for Chaos Drop Pods, didn't they have them in Dawn of War?

They didn't, but you could them make them invisible and give them like 4 special weapons, including heavy bolters and plasma guns :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Esser-Z posted:

Those orks rule.

They remind me I need to get back onto my Firetrukk project. Has stalled a bit while I figure out how to do firefighter helmets for my burnas and look for a properly size firetruck to loot.

I don't even play orks, and this is why I love orks.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

HiveCommander posted:

Half the armies in 40k are fascists though, I'm afraid you'll have to be a bit more descriptive.

As long as they aren't those drat space commies, we're fine and dandy :clint:

I'm reading through the Grey Knight rumors thread over on dakka. Their ":supaburn: OMG SKY IS FALLING WHY YOU HIT ME WITH NERFBAT GW :supaburn:" never fails to entertain.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Karandras posted:

MasterSlowClap

It's pretty solid with Sisters of Battle and a heap of special weapons!

Grey Knight strike squads. Also, large units storm troopers. I've been thinking about giving my storm troopers some rhinos that the Grey Knights brought to the fight and just left unattended/unmanned :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Speckled Jim posted:

Why are missiles so popular with the devastators? Is it the versatility? I would have thought plasma could do everything a missile launcher would do except with ap2. Thats assuming you dont take flakk missiles, which seem thoroughly overpriced to me. No ones that afraid of blowing themselves up are they?

My devastators aren't afraid of it at all, they love to blow themselves up actually :v: Missiles can do a stronger small blast (though with worse AP) or direct fire at vehicles and be able to at least glance AV14. They're more versatile for the same cost, and without the risk of your marines deciding they're done with this world and blowing themselves up.

e: :argh:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Frag missiles were s4 ap6 I thought?

You're right. It's been too long since I played them. I sold all of my rocket launchers last edition and went all-in with plasma cannons :v:

e: Let's have a kitbash. I wanted to build a land raider crusader but didn't have any twin-linked assault cannons, so I took 2 from the ravenwing upgrade sprue (that nobody ever uses), hacked the barrels off of those, took the little stubby barrels off of the heavy bolters that come with the land raider, and got this for a result:

It's a little longer than what the assault cannons look like, but otherwise I'm pretty pleased with it.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 9, 2014

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Well it's rumoured Eldar will get a LOW , or big "model". Orks got one, Space Wolves got one, Grey Knights didn't but they have the Imperial Knight.

Grey Knights got a Lord of War in Draigo.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I feel like there's a Dark Eldar vehicle bit that might fit. Maybe the shock prow, or something like that? Might be too spiky though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hra Mormo posted:

So thanks whoever talked to me about bikes earlier, I have a Dark Angels Battleforce in the mail and decided to go with White Scars chapter tactics. Got the new codex, borrowed the new rulebook and have been familiarizing myself for some upcoming 750pts games against Tau. Tau, huh? Looks like I'm going to have a lot of dead bikes on my hands. I've been planning to run the following list for starters and see what happens, rip apart at your leisure.

HQ

- Captain, Bolt Pistol, Power Axe, Artificer Armor, Bike; 145pts

Troops

- Tactical Squad(5), meltagun; 179pts
- Sergeant, meltabomb
- Razorback, Extra Armor, Twin-linked Lascannon

- Bike Squad (4), Gravgun (2); 190pts
- Biker Sergeant
- Attack Bike, Multi-melta

Fast Attack

- Landspeeder, Heavy Bolter, Typhoon Missile Launcher; 75pts

Elite

- Venerable Dreadnaught, Powerfist, Twin-linked Lascannon; 160pts

= 749pts

I'm mainly limited by what models I have as we don't proxy here, the only things I have for spare are some 20 tac marines and another dread. That said I'm still really iffy about a lot of things in this list. I expect my opponent to be fielding one or two of Hammerhead, Broadsides or Riptide, so I want to be able to throw some high strength high AP pressure downrange as I desperately try to get my troops across the board alive. To this end I've grabbed a couple lascannons to go with the speeder's TML, but it's all pricey pricey pricey. I might take the extra armor off the razorback to get the dread a missile launcher, as I doubt he'll ever get to powerfist anything without a drop pod. I originally wanted to run the attack bike solo, but felt like it wouldn't pose enough of an individual threat and it'd probably just get ignored until the biker squad got murdered, so I put it in the squad to provide extra wounds in a pinch.

In the future I'm planning to buy plenty more bikes to get some redundancy going, the dread is going to sit out in favor of more landspeeders and attack bikes and I doubt the razorback squad will stick around.

The nice thing about speeders is that you can have a fast platform with double heavy bolters for only 60 points. That's the only way I've ever run them, since it starts feeling expensive for such a fragile platform past that. The DA attack bike can be hit-or-miss; either someone ignores it because it's a single model, or they home in on it to get first blood.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So I've got a game coming up against somebody playing Nurgle-themed CSM, what's a common list for that kind of army? I imagine lots of T5, FNP and lots of poison shenanigans, am I far off the mark? We're playing a 1250 point game.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SRM posted:

Lots of T5 and FNP due to Plague Marines, but you'll only really see any poison in close combat with them. I'd imagine lots of Plague Marines in Rhinos and maybe Nurgle-marked Obliterators, who are tough sonsabitches.

Nurgle obliterators would be T5/2+, right? That sounds pretty rough.

I'm trying something new and going full mechanized. Librarian (ML 2), devastator squad (4x plasma cannons, razorback with lascannon), 3x tac squads (rhino and plasma gun per), a predator (autocannon, heavy bolters), and 2 dreads (assault cannons on both, because :black101: ). Lots of AV11 and 12, limited on ability to crack AV14 (outside of lascannon and dreads punching things, but they never live long enough to do that :v: )but everything on the table can at least glance AV13. Running with Iron Hands chapter tactics (6+ FNP for everyone, all vehicles have It Will Not Die) so we'll see how badly this goes.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

Marine players, how do you deal with Broadsides? They're infuriating.

Lascannons and missile launchers will both double them out, I think. It's been a long while since I played against them, though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My bad army for tomorrow:

Running as Iron Hands, for the IWND on all the vehicles and 6+ FNP for everyone. 1250 points, fighting some Death Guard. There's enough mid and high-strength weaponry floating around to where I can hopefully mitigate the T5. I've got a whole lot of str 5, 6, and 7 on the board, and enough str 4 to have a good volume. List as follows

Librarian (ML2)

3x tac squads (veteran sergeant, plasma gun)
-dedicated rhinos (2x storm bolters apiece)

devastator squad (4x plasma cannons)
-dedicated razorback (lascannon)

2x dreadnoughts (assault cannons for both)

1x predator (autocannon, heavy bolters)

Comes out to 1250 exact. Can't wait until he brings a heldrake or 2 and roasts my marines left and right :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

koreban posted:

:thurman:

On that note, I watched a strongarm Tau player get taken to task by Dark Angels pretty convincingly last night. So while they're definitely powerful and laden with high STR shooting, they're far from unbreakable using a weaker SM dex.

You saw a Dark Angels victory? :stare:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

PFGs in Land Raiders is a thing again in 7th edition, right? Measuring from the hull and everything?

The tech priest with a PFG attaching to a command squad carrying the dakka banner seems like it could spit out an impressive number of shots (a hurricane bolter on either sponson and an assault cannon on the front) and be stupidly tough to break open. That's pushing 450-500 points for that unit though, so about 2 squads of Deathwing or so :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You run it with a bunch of Ravenwing supporting usually, I think

Wait, are Deathwing good now?

They got a massive boost when the requirement for >50% of the army to be deployed on the table at game start was removed. Turn 1 Deathwing Assault with the entire army is at least possible now, and with the changes to jink Deathwing is in a better spot than a full Ravenwing army. Still not the greatest by any means, but Deathwing is in a better spot than it was.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

How many scouts?

e: your inbox is full.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Seems like DA would have some fun there. One Azrael somewhere on the team suddenly creates Deathwing/Ravenwing troops across 2 boards at once, and all DA would be batting at LD10. What I'm saying is that DA got a bone thrown to them for once and I don't know how to react :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

spacegoat posted:

Infiltrating Prime in a unit of Hormas or Gants could be pretty good.

Or Canifex. Can he attach to MCs?

If they come in a group, I'm pretty sure he can. (I feel like carnifexes come in broods, but it's been forever since I played against them)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I tried switching from melta to plasma with my stormtroopers. The 1's still came, and followed straight into the armor saves for getting hot :negative:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I mean, White Scars are better at being bikes than Ravenwing is...but nobody can do terminators like Deathwing. That'll make me sad when that gets pulled out of the codex :(

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

They could probably roll DA into the main marine codex now if they really wanted to. Chapter tactics: stubborn for everyone, terminators get fearless, and preferred enemy: CSM. Throw in a few named characters and chapter relics for taste, and it's done. It's not like anyone uses the terrible flyers out of that book anyways.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

RIP Sly Marbo. :(

They renamed the IG to AM because they had to go into witness protection when Marbo got cut. Nobody cuts Marbo from the team.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I want to get a box of chaos marines to sprinkle throughout my Alpha Legion completely normal and loyal space marines.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Interesting. At first glance that looks like an actually viable way of fielding a first company.

Belial is pissed.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Posigniat posted:

Thank you very much for the swift reply! One more quick question, due to the number of rules and special abilities, can I keep a visual marker of effects both positive and negative on the board, Warmachine style? If allowed do they frown on it if I do the same for my opponents pieces? I recently watched a YouTube battle report and the tiny group of Space Wolves had about eight special rules per unit and that's a lot of information for me to digest.

Go for it. I'm pretty sure someone in this thread (or one of the previous ones) had custom-made markers to denote all sorts of lingering effects (jink, soulblaze, pinned, etc).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

big_g posted:

Once upon a battlefield dreary, where I cowered, spent and bleary,
Within an Imperial bunker, darkly stained with dust and gore -
As I cowered, nearly shuttering, suddenly there came a sputtering
As some weapon quickly stuttering - firing at my bunker door.
"`Tis some bolter", I murmured, "firing at my bunker door -
Only this and nothing more."

Ah, distinctly I remember, it was in the bleak December,
And the brightly burning bastions lit the horizon by the score.
Eagerly, on freedom drunker; - vainly had I sought to hunker
In this heavy Imperial bunker - with perhaps a tunnel in the floor -
A safe and empty fortress with perhaps a tiny tunnel in the floor -
Only this and nothing more.

And the mad raving howling of each distant Space Wolf prowling
Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before.
So that now, to the beating of my heart, I stood entreating
"`Tis some Space Wolf there repeating, firing at my bunker door -
Some common Grey Hunter rapid-firing at my bunker door -
This it is and nothing more."

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer
"Marine," said I, "or Scout, your attention I implore;
The bunker walls are thick - they are made of tempered brick
And your bolters do not nick the slightest scratch or tiny score -
Not a dimple, dent, depression, dip, scratch or tiny score -
Away now, and fire no more."

Then in the bunker slumping, presently I heard a thumping
A pounding - rattling many times fiercer than before.
And soon I began to screech - the bunker wall grenades did breach;
The very gods I did beseech as the ceiling fell upon the floor -
Through the wounds poured light which danced upon the floor -
Danced amidst the sounds of war.

Then at once it stopped the violence - I was left alone with silence
Confused, I spied the reason why the shells did drop no more -
For as I began to shutter, then with many a flit and flutter
a psyber-Raven flew through the clutter to perch above the door -
Perched on the two-headed eagle just above the bunker door -
Perched and sat and nothing more.

At this I grew more craven, for the talons of the psyber-Raven
Were all over covered with bright red blood and crimson gore.
"Wretch!" I cried, "Njal hath lent thee - into this fortress has he sent thee
So that remotely may he here be - and this bunker then explore -
Scry out my exact location and this bunker then explore -"
Quoth the Raven, "Eversor"

Then, methought, the air grew darker, the bunker now a little starker
For the uttered word brought terror as I had never felt before.
As for weapons, I knew I had none - no bolter, sword or lasgun;
No arms to stop the war's son fated to break soon through the door -
The blood-mad crazed assassin fated to break soon through the door-

"Be that word our sign of parting, machine or bird!" I shrieked, upstarting -
"Get thee back into the fire-fight and here spy on me no more!
For as you came unbidden - I would otherwise be here hidden -
Leave my location in this midden - quit that icon above my door!
Take thy shining metal eye, and take thy form from off my door!"

And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting - still is sitting
On the pallid two-headed eagle just above the bunker door;
His metal eye has all the seeming of a psyker that is scheming,
To have my guts lie steaming in a pile upon the floor;
And now all hope has left me, crouched here upon the floor
I await the Eversor!

:stare: Well done.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

panascope posted:

This thing has been floating around for a while.

I'd never seen it before. Then again, this is the only place I dare to go for 40k info after attempting to wade through Dakka and Warseer.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hra Mormo posted:

It is a well-known fact that an individual's power level in the Warhammer universe is defined by the size of their hat or helmet.

This might have been the basis for the entire Ork campaign in the last DoW II expansion :orks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

IG can throw down 3 platoons of a command squad, 3 infantry squads, and a heavy weapon squad each and they're all troops. Add in a company commander for some orders shenanigans on the heavy weapons squads and you've got ~120 wounds across 16 units. There was one 1000 pt game that I played where I had more models on the field than the tyranid player did, that was fun times :getin:

• Locked thread