Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Pierre, would you mind adding one more video to the SPEHSS MARIENS section of the OP? I made a sixth one pretty recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wo6aue5SPU

DO IT TO IT posted:

For some reason I can't stand the MWG batrep videos. Or any of their videos, really. Those guys are not funny at all but they try so hard to be. Strikingscorpion82 is awesome though simply for the great presentation.
You just said it right there - they're trying way too hard to be funny. I can't stand them, and I'm generally a pretty positive dude. The "banter batreps" that I've seen are usually one guy trying REALLY hard to be funny while the other guy occasionally smirks or fakes a laugh and some 12 year olds in the background gawk at the camera.

Also this thread has no pictures of anyone's models so I'll just dump a few:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Let's do some real talk for a minute...

That would just be coming full circle honestly:

They'd look cool in the Steel Legion color scheme. You'd be fine.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Those Mentors are tight. How'd you get that white?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So I dunno if this got posted in the old thread, but I saw this:

Some guy on Dakka said
"*cough* Plastic Flashgits *cough* Looted Wagon *cough* Plastic Meganobs *cough* Plastic Warboss *cough* and more. They'll be shown next week. *cough*"

No clue if he's speculating, making poo poo up, or actually knows anything, but something to think about.

Also Sykic, your Eldar are lovely. I'd put gloss on the black visors and that's literally the only criticism I have for them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Slimnoid, those Deathwing are baller. The caution stripes are a great touch, and really give the army some good contrast.

Sykic posted:

Thanks. I keep telling myself to do that but I have this nightmare scenario stuck in my head where it'll all frost up and ruin the model :downs:

Just the bottled 'Ardcoat or whatever GW's calling it now would be great for this. I've never ever ever had gloss varnish frost up on me, as that only really happens with matte varnish when it's not shaken up enough or it's too humid. Even then, frosted matte varnish gets undone just by spraying gloss varnish on the surface again; it's probably the easiest problem to fix as far as painting problems go.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Tadhg posted:

I modelled him, but I didn't have time to paint him until this afternoon. So, rather than in the last thread, you guys get him here:

:vomarine:

:allears:

TheChirurgeon posted:

White Panthers

I love your armies, but these guys are so 3rd edition in the best way. Also jealous you have this sick model.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Tadhg posted:

Jesus Christ, I need a good camera.
I have a crappy digital camera from about 2004. 4 megapixels, no more. It's all about good lighting. If you just adjust the levels of that last picture in Photoshop or Gimp or Picasa or whatever you'd be golden.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Was wound allocation changed in any way, aside from spillover from challenges? I haven't seen much about it is all so I wasn't sure.

There's a Steam sale right now on the Dawn of War franchise for 50% off. The sale enticed one of my friends to pick up Dawn of War II: Retribution, and a couple of my buddies who already had the game jumped in and we had ourselves a bunch of 2v2 games over the course of the night. poo poo's incredibly fun; get some of your buddies to get Retribution and play a bunch. It scratches a very similar itch that the tabletop game does (especially with all of us in one Mumble server for trash talking), and I'm stoked I finally have folks to play it with again.

Also Kill Team, the twinstick shooter, is out on PC now too for :10bux:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moola posted:

Random allocation is terrible. You should totally ignore it and use the old 'just choose who dies' system.
I was at a tournament back in November and moved a squad of Guardsmen through dangerous terrain. I rolled dice for the whole squad, and ended up losing three guardsmen. I picked three of the lasgun guardsmen who were in said dangerous terrain. My opponent said that no, it had to be on a model by model basis, and I'd have to roll again. I rolled again, on each individual model in this mob of guardsmen, and rolled three ones. I lost the exact same three lasgun guardsmen and I just glared at my opponent as I picked the models up off the table.

"Just choose who dies" or go home.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Today I set out with the intent to maybe make it to my no longer local FLGS to get the 7th ed rulebook. I got a bottle of nice bourbon and a bottle of vermouth instead. I think I made the right decision in the short term, but I'll pick up the rulebook (or mini rulebook) soonishly.

Soulfucker posted:

My group picked up the Relic Expansion, it was pretty fun!

High point of the game for me was my Exarch destroying a Stormlord Heavy Tank with an Ork Choppa :v:

Do you have more pictures of the painted tokens? Those are really nice.
[quote="BuffaloChicken" post="430102451"]
Wouldn't normally be spamming up such WIP models, but these Squats were made possible by some goons so I wanted to share.
Never stop.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

This cross post is almost as long as my list of crippling insecurities!
Dude, be proud of that crazy amount of Guardsmen. 1400 points of purely foot Guard is nothing to sneeze at. The fact that they all look totally awesome doesn't hurt either. Great work, and I'm glad I could contribute some reinforcements to these guys!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
"We can't stop here, this is bat flying manta ray country!"

Bavius posted:

Ugh... Escalation and stronghold should have been rolled in. Fuckin' GW.
Then everyone who bought those books would be complaining. I'm okay with the rules being in just one place for stuff like the Aegis now though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

Goddamn it ebay, let me win at least one tank auction without being sniped at the last second. :argh:
I think you mean a last second Precision Shot :smug:

I was looking through my painting log and aside from one single model in November, I haven't painted an in-production model since August. God drat this bright blue rabbit hole I've found myself down.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Hey I finished painting another thing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

Wouldn't mind seeing that whole army all together in one shot, just saying. Awesome as always SRM.

This is funny but I was actually looking through some old White Dwarfs the other day and was reminded of your Old School stuff, yours is WAaaaaaaaaaaaay better painted.

I'm flattered, but there's some lovely blends on those old 'Eavy Metal paintjobs I can't quite replicate!

I'm working on the display board so once that's done there'll be some proper army shots, but I did a few maybe 2 months ago:

Since then I've painted 5 Terminators, a 5-man command squad, and the Razorback.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

"Q. How do I determine the arc of sight for a Heldrake's ranged weapon?
A: Treat the Heldrake's ranged weapon as a hull mounted weapon, measuring all ranges and line of sight from the barrel of the gun."

Is this a new change? That seems like a fairly significant nerf for a Heldrake.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I don't mind seeing Heldrakes taken down a peg personally. They're probably still pretty dangerous, just not as much so. I don't like that the new FAQs invalidated Space Wolves and Blood Angels psychic powers though. They're all generated from the rulebook now. It makes sense for consistency's sake and it's just a stopgap, but it kinda bites in the interim.
e;fb

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

So, "dry" paints are just GW paints with less water content? Cripes.

They're different colors made for drybrushing. I've got some. They're pretty alright. They're how I got the winterized effect on my Valhallan armor.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lungboy posted:

For me, 6th was pretty drat good until they went mental with supplements and data slates and all that stuff. All it really needed was sorting assault and it would have been fantastic.
Yeah, I agree. Once the releases schedule went bonkers I just couldn't keep up with what was happening anymore. I would've liked 2 more years with 6th. When 5th changed over to 6th edition I was ecstatic to read the new rulebook and figure all the new stuff out. I still don't know 6th well enough to really wanna jump into 7th just yet. I mean, I'm gonna play it, I still enjoy the core gameplay, but there's just an awful lot to keep track of and it's moving awful fast.

I'm pretty sure I made this same post a month and a half ago god dang.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Is there anything in the rules about immobilized vehicles not being able to score? That's what kept drop pods from scoring before.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

Unrelated note, I'm assembling a Land Raider Crusader that I got from a buddy and those metal bolter sponsons are maybe the worst bits I've ever had to deal with.

Oh you poor son of a gun. If you want plastic sponsons instead, I've got two of the modern Crusader sprues, sans assault cannons. I wouldn't wish those metal sponsons on anyone.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

Touched up my Harker squad, even though Harker is garbage in the new book. Real sad - this was probably my favorite squad last edition. I'd often drop a shotgun for a Heavy Flamer or some other special weapon. Although, looking at it now, those two guys on the left have the same head. I just got some new Space Wolf heads, so may chop the head off one and swap it for something shaggier.

The new Squat Veterans and psyker are almost done with the converting. All the tree Daemons are primed and ready - they'll be next on my painting table.

Also almost done with these two commission conversions. A Cadian into a Tallarn, and Catachan Harker into a Mordian Harker.

Also, battle shots! My brother took these quite a while ago and only just uploaded them. You can see my Eldar Scout Titan doesn't have the vines painted on it yet, and all the temple terrain is more green and lush now.

EDIT: We got real drunk so I don't remember the game too well but the hovering Vendetta exploded and a piece of airplane flew out and smushed my Farseer. Pretty cool to have your Warlord scythed down by exploding jet shrapnel, so it was a good game. I forget who won.

This is from pages buck this this owns so hard. I took your Mega Blocks base recommendation and found a bunch of old Mega Blocks base plates to use as terrain bases when I finally get around to making more scenery for my table. I'm planning on making the temple project from the old How to Make Wargames Terrain that GW put out back in the mid 90s and mounting it on said base.

Also PS that Mordian Harker owns. Post pictures once it's painted!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

Guys, guys, enough about this game we all hate. He finished it, he actually finished it:

Good god drat this page is amazing.

panascope posted:

I want to try a guard blob with Tigurius so he can cast Invisibility on them. Something about making 50+ guys only getting hit on 6s seems pretty good. Has anybody else done this yet?
That sounds incredibly frustrating to fight. gently caress that spell. gently caress it hard.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

I have yet to hear any drama at all about ChaosMailOrder or TheWarStore, why don't you people save the trouble and go there?

http://www.thewarstore.com/

http://www.chaosmailorder.com/games-workshop

I didn't see a GW link on the Warstore page, maybe they finally dropped them because GW are such miserable cunts. Many, many stores got burned when GW said that online retailers were no longer allowed to use GW imagery or even mention GW product in their online stores.

The Warstore has flat cheap shipping, carries tons of great stuff, has a 20% discount on drat near everything, and they're super swell guys. I met them at Historicon a couple times and it was always a pleasure to deal with them. I've been ordering from them since I got in the hobby.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Captain Rufus posted:

It loving sucks rear end but that's how it is. The only reason Warmahordes did so well was being at the right place at the right time and with a setting that is appealing.
(Also you know trying to be the NOT GW and attempting to make a ruleset that works to the tastes of actual players as opposed to GW's ITS ALL ABOUT THE PAINTING AND A TRIP TO THE PUB AFTER A GENTLEMANLY GAME AT CLUB thing which really doesn't loving exist except in their loving delusions.)
This is pretty much what my game club is like and it rules. Game store communities can be good but since they can't really turn anyone away like a club can, they're not quite so choosy and it can be more hit and miss.

As someone absolutely obsessed with aesthetics and deeply invested in the setting, nothing else can scratch that 40k itch for me. Necromunda a little bit, but I like the sweeping vastness of a big field battle.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

HiveCommander posted:

You could always have your club based at a Bowling Club or similar venue so you reap all the benefits of an open bar while you play :sun:

The place Zhent and I play is over a VFW bar. It's a bar where hopes and dreams go to die, their selection is terrible, but it's dirt cheap and their mixed drinks are stupid strong. It definitely adds something to game night.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I have an all-metal foot horde IG army and a Space Marine army made up of metal models with plastic arms and back packs. I haven't built a modern plastic GW model since August. Come the gently caress at me plastic bros.

That being said gently caress hybrid models. Infantry I can deal with, but vehicles are the absolute worst. I had to matte varnish my Razorback turret so the paint wouldn't rub off when I was just handling the drat thing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arven posted:

As a guard player returning to the game after 4 years, I have to ask- is there any reason that I shouldn't be giving a bolter to every sarge in my army? And just to be clear, can he keep his chainsword despite taking the Bolter (the rules don't clearly specify)?

Also since no guard units can infiltrate anymore and only stormtroopers can deep strike, Valkyries are kind of necessary if you want to take objects before the enemy I assume?
It's only 1 point but I can probably think of a better way to spend 10 points in an IG army. It just says "he may tike items from the ranged weapons list" and nothing about replacing anything.

Chance II posted:

I miss the ease of conversion but I really love not having to glue arms onto sixty dudes for my Steel legion guys. Plastic is great for kill team where I want each model to be super unique but when it comes to massed infantry, there is a sweet spot around 3rd edition were GW put out some nicely detailed metals.
All of the metal IG are great models; the only ones that haven't aged well are a few of the officers like Al'Rahem who have really goofy 2nd ed poses. Those are some of the Perry bros' best works, and I absolutely adore them. I kind of want to get some Tallarn and paint them like Genestealer cult, but I've got enough metal Cadians to work through first.

LingcodKilla posted:

The one simple trick I found for superior arms to body connecting with metal to plastic or really any combination is to drill a shallow dimple into the arm and apply the glue into the dimple before placing it on the shoulder.
I use my knife to score every point where plastic and metal connect. It gets a stronger bond that way.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

LingcodKilla posted:

Cadians rock
I love my boys

I love that paunchy officer, but cutting off his cool shotgun is a crime.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Battle Masters rules. I've had designs to paint the set at my parents' place for years, but I'll probably never ever get to it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
God, I really wish chainswords were AP6. Yeah, like Nids and Orks need one more thing to gently caress them over, but it's a goddamn chainsaw sword. They weren't making that many 6+ saves anyway. Even a lovely version of rending where sixes to wound were AP4 or something, I don't know.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ghetto wormhole posted:

Are heavy chainswords even in any of the codexes?
I've felt like they were going to replace 'Uge Choppas or Big Choppas or whatever the big weapons Nobz can get for a while now. The rules were mostly the same.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hollismason posted:

I always liked the rule that Choppas used to have where it reduced your save. They should bring that back.
No they shouldn't, it was butt garbage. It was really punishing to certain armies (Marines, but especially Deathwing, Ravenwing, or other good-save/low-model builds) and didn't matter one iota to others. Reducing your save by 1 would be novel, but pretty much unheard of in post-2nd ed 40k.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, but on the bright side, that's 1300 points of really purdy Orks. You have more pictures?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

Also, after hearing about the new campaign system in the latest HH book earlier this week on the IC's I suddenly wanted to play a campaign with it but trying to use IG vs Cultists or something like that instead of 30k marines.
That sounds like some sort of Gaunt's Ghosts/WW2 in space sort of battles, which can be a ton of fun. I had a really fun game back in 5th with my IG vs. my buddy's IG and it was just artillery pounding each others' lines while we were both holed up in cover, until a late game "over the top" moment where the troops had to get into the open to get objectives. It was brutal, grueling, and really fun.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Just checked the GW site and couldn't find them. RIP Tallarn Rough Riders :(

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The tray selector on KR's site is really lovely but holy gently caress is it gonna cost an arm and a leg to give my Ultramarines a nice foam home.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

You and your brother are consistently the best hams around.

On less awesome news, a cross post appears!
That's a purdy tank ya got there. A little clean for Steel Legion in my imagination, but very nice.

I was supposed to have a game tonight but my opponent got held up at work. Last week my opponent had to bail and the ringer left his army in the wrong car. Three weeks without a game, but I'll be getting in some brunchhammer in this weekend.

And hanging around the club tonight had everyone encouraging my idea of building the Ultramarines 1st company in a modern paintscheme, which would have basing similar to my Valhallans and would dovetail nicely into Horus Heresy stuff by the time Roboute comes out and oh god I don't need another power armor army let alone another Ultramarines army

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Babe Magnet posted:

Hopefully the breakneck release schedule is going to burn GW out faster so a company worth a drat could pick up the 40k license sooner.

I found an unopened Chimera box while digging through my closet. Really tempted to get back into 40k since I mostly just enjoy painting the models, but I'm also just tempted to try and sell it.
GW doing weekly releases isn't really a big change for them. They're just releasing what they'd normally release monthly, but spread out a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Post 9-11 User posted:

SRM FAN SERVICE

SRM FAN SERVICE

:allears:

That's a great looking Land Raider, Chirurgeon. I've loved seeing that force come together!

Had my first game of 7th today. Feels like 6th with wackier objectives. Not a bad thing. I actually had to make a few tough tactical decisious to make sure I was scoring points and such instead of charging off into hand to hand or what have you. I look forward to more.

• Locked thread