Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Questions!

Conjuration:
Do they score (battle forged bonus too then?)
Do they (conjugated daemon units) get one free icon/instrument/champion upgrade?

Psykers:
So if I roll only two dice to manifest, get boxcars (6 & 6) I perils but I pass?
...Even if it's WC3 power?
...Even if they rolled one or two Deny the Witch of a 6?
So we do get a Primarus if we roll all powers on the lore?
Do Chaos Psykers 'marked-X' or 'Daemon of-X' get X's Primarus for free? (Never saw actual proof of these)

Allies:
Are the 'Desperate' and 'Come the Apocalypse' still scoring? Do the troops still get Objective Secured?
Is the 12" distance only in the deployment, then just the 'one eye open' check if within 6"?

Assault:
Move Though Cover now ignores the problem with -2" on assault, what about Initiative penalty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

You can buy the Dais now and put 8-9 dark reapers inside to hang out with Vect if you want to be silly. Apparently if the transport jinks the occupants are not penalized? That could be fun. Farseer or Eldrad for Prescience and or Perfect Timing. Clearly that's a lot of points but that is a lot of missiles that is hard to shoot at.

My local area loves coming up with wacky ideas like this so I am probably programed to see things like 200pt raiders and think, "No big deal!" There was an army that had The Space Pope walking with as many ICs as he could to make a ridiculous deathstar.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Sorry guys, feel free to ignore my ramblings. I like everything I am seeing from these orks pictures and it has be thinking...

It looks like Flashgitz will be a 5-man kit? The unit is described as 4+Kaptain. So usually a new box comes with enough to make a minimum sized unit. Does this mean that we will get 5 MANz? That will be nice but probably means the box will be like $60. I have enough AOBR nobz around I can make the MANZ and just use the guns and arms to make Flashgitz. The joy of orks, though maybe these two are just not similar enough to be the same kit.

So new Kannons will be interesting since the lack of a plastic kit was the major reason no one took those T7 grots. I wonder if they will make an alternate kit to mirror it while they are at it. Think Hydra/Wyvern. Also, maybe Deffkopptas/buggies will get cut since they are not well supported, but that is a total guess but I have not seen either model in a picture yet, hardly concrete evidence though.

I forget how many 'new' kits can be expected from a release. We know of 3/4 now: Morknaught, Big Gunz, Flashgitz (and maybe MANz separately?). I think 4 is the upper limit we have seen. I will be interested to see where everything lands.

I hope they make the Stompa a part of the codex, maybe make it more in line with a Knight's power. That kit is only :10bux: more than the new dread. I like the new dread but man, that is a lot less plastic. A gamer on a budget at least has options.

drat I hope warbikers are like 12pts. Bikers have been king for a while but it would be a crime if Orks miss out since they have the best ones (they have the best everything).

Finally, It would be cool if orks have their own Waaagh powers similar to Eldar, where Weirdboys roll on one half and leaders (Warboss, Meks, Nobz?) roll on the other half. For every unit that has 10+ orks (not grots) add 1 Waaagh-Charge to your pool, if they are 20+ add two instead etc etc.

Thanks for baring with me. Here, have my completed oath as my apology:
More Nod-Guard

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The Nod Guard are so awesome - can't wait to see more from you!

You're probably going to need one of these:

I was thinking of going with this Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179741323/battle-dog-and-pug
*His latest update has the lowered turret, which looks much better.*

But the 3-pack it is the same price as 20% off real Leman Russ tanks. It looks like these are about 1.5cm shorter and the turret is like 3x bigger. It matches the aesthetic of the Light Tank's original sprite more than the GW one but I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger or not. GW kits come with like 3 turrets but this one has 5, so that is nice..

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

Did some minor changes on the goofy swords they include to make a Balesword, adding some pitting and remove the awkward angles:

Wow. Amazing. I wish I thought of this.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

So... MSP is in town and bro gaming with me. I will finally get to play 7th! :woop:

And holy poo poo he surprised me with his 90%painted Knight!

How do these things Move Through Cover? My e-book does not really say anything different from 6th, but I thought it was fixed for some reason.

Ps, and this genius of a brother embedded a screw into waist and a nut into the hips for excellent transportation

:science:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

I am trying to put together some lists for Orks but without the final bits of information it is not quite tied down yet.

I am thinking bikes over stormboys? Each got ~25% point reduction but the good guns on the bikes plus T5 4+ is probably why stormboys will sit out again for me. Wyverns and thunderfires will just make stormboys weep.... And think about taking 30 loving dangerous terrain tests at the top of turn one. I would have to do it separately since I am a horrible person and ~it matters~.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Raphus C posted:

15 bikes with a painboy and a Warboss on bikes seem nice. If they turbo boost there will be plenty of 3+ cover save wounds to deal with at T5. If they then get to shoot and charge in.

I would take some Buggies because you should always have buggies. There is a new Mad Max film apparently so think of them as a tribute. Then take some manz/boyz in trukks. Go full speadfreak. It feels good.
Bikes are squads of 15 now? Not 12? I was mech assault at lower points then moved to Kan wall or hybrids. I have 9 kanz that I will probably not touch for a while.

Few more thoughts on orks:

Mob rule might not be so bad, even if you roll poo poo and get 6 hits that's only about two more wounds than previously, and the bosspole can hopefully avoid auto fail situations for <5-10 model squads which is actually better than before.

Looks like Ork leaders can only have one relic at a time? Entry says: "A model can take one of the following" While the entry above for another category says "A model can take up to one of each of the following." Got to choose Da Lucky Stikk or Da Finkin Kap. Tough call to be honest.

Does Cybork bodies do anything for units that have FNP? Is it like warpflame where it boosts FNP +1 then gives 6+ if there is none?

Does Grotsnik have any rules that force him to move and attack nearest thing still? Does he have a specific warlord trait?

This is what I am thinking currently for a list. Not every toy, but you know the old proverb...

Lootas + meks joyride in waggon and either sit still or say gently caress it and drive 12" a turn for side angles. What do mekboys come with now? Can they still be bought in a squad of lootas or only as HQ addons?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

TKIY posted:

Does anyone have details on the Ghazkull code formations? I thought I read that there was an update to the dread mob in it?

Dread Mob:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Raphus C posted:

Can you not use the buggies for a cover save for those wagons? The price for a Mega-Mek with KFF is pretty high, you could pick up a bunch of buggies and throw a Mek into the wagon for the points.

Important distinction, the force fields (kustom or mega) are invulnerable saves from shooting attacks. So those serpent shields and Str D weapons can suck it.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Man, you will have a hell of a time trying to get LoSight with those lascannons/missiles on the top. Basically anti-flier only weapons.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

It has already been said that the rulebook allies matrix has been streamlined to make it easier.

If you don't want they to ally then don't ally them. But there are plenty of situations where Eldar of both types will work with each other to spit on a bunch of mortal apes. It allows the many people who want to do it the pathway, and it makes sense anyway.

They also removed the worst part of the 'come the apocalypse' barrier as well, since awesome Count-as people like Buffalo Chicken can make amazing conversions. Oh, and 40k basically is already the apocalypse so I guess the chaos daemons fight the tryanids in a battle that happens to include some Imperial guard, wha'daya know.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

CyberLord XP posted:

I want one for comparison for the fifteen or so I'm converting up.
Aww yeah buggies time in the thread!

They are about 2"(front) x 3"(side) x 1"-2"h

If anything my landspeeders are modeling for advantage, since they will grant cover saves but not enough to matter since they look cool are are fluffy as hell. :orks101:

*I am looking on ebay for some more rescue speeders to defile, even though I painted these things forever ago and there is no way they will match.*

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

...The Zuzzy mats are so much more detailed and awesome. International shipping is a bitch though.

Sulecrist posted:

I love the Zuzzy ones but ...

NTRabbit posted:

...I heard the zuzzy ones smell like :vomarine:

I have one of each. The frontline is made out of a durable heavy 1990's mouspad type of material versus the thin 'halloween mask' type rubber Zuzzy uses. The corners of the Zuzzy curl and crinkle badly and make standing on the board edge impossible. I saw some beautiful 2/3rd edition necrons fall off the table because of those drat creases.

Playing on the Frontline mat is awesome since the pad is covered in that cotton/canvas material, which not only rolls smooth and soft but also mutes the clatter of the dice to a soft pitter patter. The Zuzzy matt will send your dice bouncing all over the board and on onto the floor since it is made out of Flubber. Also, the rubber needed to sit out for a few days to vent its smell and does not feel like it will last. I never even got around to painting it since it's a big deal to attempt.

So for a specific display I would say go Zuzzy if you want to have something similar to one of those Model Train museums where it stays set up forever and no one touches it. For ease of use, transportation and actual gameplay I say go Frontline. And I was kinda burned with Frontline's other products in the past* but I still recommend these mats.

*$300 case that was way below QA standards for a premium system and they ignored my Emails about it for weeks and never really answered all my questions in the end.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

The Sisko posted:

Just noticed that the my IPad CSM codex got an update for 7th which was a pleasant surprise.

Was it just faq info or was it something different?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

I have been working on an Ork list, this is my best try so far with the standard "0-1x CAD" + "0-1x Other" format:

Everything can scout and it has an orky alpha strike with decent follow up with CC bodies. Bike HQs scout and ride with kopptas and either hide around wagons or Lukky Stick/turbo boosting for 3+ reroll cover depending on the threats. I had one tankbusta unit and one loota unit, but with 12"scout and 6" move and 18" squigs + 24"killkannon it's hard not to go for the bustas. That and redundancy feels right.

My famous person/world impact fact is kinda :black101: related.

On a daily basis I work directly with the guy who was the 'Live Show Director' for this glorious clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2EQWCpnIR8
He had nothing else to cut away to so that's why there's a (painfully) slow pan of the product while the host squirms underneath. The man that walks in to cover is the guest 'expert' who had no idea what to say.

My brother and I saw this video when we were kids, I never would have thought I would work so closely with the man who was such a large part of it's creation.

Now he's an 'On-Air Producer' at HSN and a really laid back guy who laughs when anyone brings up this incident. How can you not?

"...we may need emergency surgery... in the studio."

Live TV is fun :buddy:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

So, do those claws count as two weapons? Also, wouldn't it be Str8 because of furious charge? Would not be able to do much to a Wraithknight/Imperial Knight but everything else will be a bit worried by that profile, if it can ever catch anything.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Glad to see Gaylord is keeping the nerds in check by actually reading the facts instead of freaking out. This thread would be unreadable without you and I felt like it needed to be said.

In other news an old warhammer friend dusted off his orks for a practice game the other day. I tried to bring my daemons in on a casual game but his inexperience, a bit of luck and probably my competetive poo poo-head brain grasped a victory from the jaws of defeat.

Pictures!

Soulgrinder proved too strong for this matchup, though I didn't expect him to take a 'Uge Choppa on his boss. He was happy with my suggestion to add a flaming wrecking ball to the top of the whip to count as AP2 and Unwieldy.

Almost swung that wrecking ball into my Heldrake's face! It hit once but didn't pen :eng99:

Might as well post my cross post oath as well...

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Smash used to be ultra good, so it makes sense to slow it down, but now it's quite rough. I thought it needed some initiative penalty to represent the Kurk double-hand chop but probably not as much a penalty as it is now.

In 7th Smash should probably include Auto-hit + AP1. I can see how it would benefit baby MCs like Necron Spyders more than 5-attack Demons but having to swing even with 66% sucks rear end when you only have one shot. Not to mention old smash on 355pt I8 daemons was not enough to reliably attack Knights, now we can't even kill it without our crappy shooting helping out first.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Oh, hey look, NoVA is really close all a sudden. I am not even sure what army I want to bring, I have been out of it for a bit now. I have 0 chances of making a big impact but I want to have some fun.

MSP is not 100% sure if he can make it this year which is a scary thought, real life is taking priority.

This is a list that is similar to the Daemonblog guy. It is trying to be anti-knight and MSU as best chaos can. Nurgle spawn or buffed Tzeentch oblits are not the worst thing to throw at Knights apparently which were the most popular thing in the BAO or ATC or whatever was recent. That is a lot of CSM I would need to paint. Maybe I will just go with my usual Daemon List which is a bit FMC heavy but I am not going to win anyway.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

So I need to paint about 10 cultists, both biker(warhorse) Hq and all 4 oblits before the 25th but what do you competitive guys think? For Nova incase it was not obvious...

Abbusepuppy Naramyth, Pacheebo etc.

Can Crimson Slaughter guys take two relics? If not my lord can swap Horns for a 4++.

For that matter do you think I should take CS warlord traits? I think there is a Rage one, so maybe I should grab the invulnerable anyway instead?

I know I said I expect to do poorly but if possible I want to do the best I can. And apparently this should be better than straight demons.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Aug 8, 2014

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

^^^^
[edit]
A crisis suit is the size of a dreadnaught. I guess it's only T4 W2 because a crappy Tau is inside it.

AbusePuppy posted:

...Not knowing what models you have available and what sort of things you want to be running I can't say for sure, but Daemons definitely have the potential to be a strong army.

Naramyth posted:

I agree with AbusePuppy...
Thanks to the both of you. I obviously made some list oversights in my quickly edited version of this list from a blog (This guy apparently played AbusePuppy at BAO). Things like only 1 CAD allowed at NoVA for example...

I believe the plan for the sorc was to probably join spawn but maybe join obits if I got perfect timing, though my version is not as good since I have 2x2-bodies instead of 2x3-bodies. His list was more of a 'bomb' style where most everything sits in reserve and deepstrikes, but I can see how only betting on Scrires Gaze can be a problem.

The Tzeentch Oblit was a choice (I'm guessing) to combo better with grimoire/forewarning/cursed-earth buffs for fighting Str10 things (Knight, WraithKnight, Dreads), since T5 does not much good at that point.

Come the Apocalypse allies are allowed, so bike/Droppod SM (painted as chaos) are also an option I suppose but when I cost it out I figure I might as well double that allied slot into CAD and just do a Marine hybrid Bike/Pod/Flyer list as a different army entirely.

Either way here is a list of everything daemon that I have. (Asterisk means what needs (re)painting)

I will probably just take a smattering of Loc/1disc Herald, Horrors/Daemonettes, Hounds/Screamers and Grinder/DP. Hounds really lost a lot for me since I can't deploy my Aegis at the halfway mark anymore and they can't charge first game turn if they scout. People still think they are wroth it though, and they call them a tarpit but with Instability I just don't see how.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

^^^

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with GT-Chat, I will promise to post pics of my paintings as I get ready and eventually NoVA itself!

AbusePuppy posted:

Ugh, that game was awful. I mean, the dude was fine and all, but it was The Relic on on turn 1 he put a 2++ rerollable Screamerstar in the middle of the table and then started Turbo-boosting away
How far did he move with turboboost? Rules for relic says:

40k The Rules page 147 "Moving with the Relic posted:

The Relic is fragile, and swift movement will likely damage it, so the model carrying the Relic cannot Run and can never move more than 6" in any phase. If it is forced to do so, the Relic is immediately dropped.

Here is how the list looks all tallied up:

Your mental-math was only a little over. I chose to lose two Fast Attack models and one gift. I figure I should exalt my two combat ICs since they can roll a free CC weapon. I guess grimoire should go with the most durable model but I'm not sure if that is Tzeentch or Khrone, depends where I send them to fight really.

Should Belakor be my warlord? I believe we are not restricted by highest Ld anymore. His trait is ok vs Xenos but at least he's a 'hard to hit' warlord. Though I might want to keep attention off him and warlord on Khrone for free and easy access to ID, Hatred or instability-insurance. If I did though would I swap his Loci for Rage? With Battleforged reroll it probably won't be that necessary, right? It would leave me 8pts... -1Seeker add two characters to Horrors and an etherblade to Slaanesh and then leave grimoire for Tzeentch to spread out threats?

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 8, 2014

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

It requires 2 HQ versus normal 1, only allows reroll of Spacewolf Warlord traits (not rulebook ones) and does not give the sweet sweet objective secured like traditional CADetachment or Allied Detachment.

Though, having lots of fun HQs is fun and continues the trend from last codex, and while getting bonus chance to gain outflank is neat (works with army wide acute sense at least) the better part seems to be guaranteed unit arriving on each turn. Now that expensive gunboat flyer will be reliable at least. Many players will argue it's not as strong, but now casual people can actually have fun with their toys on turn two and they won't force their buddy to deal with Objective secured Droppods! :woop:

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

I'm stoked to play it and I am overjoyed with all the advice, truly I can't stress that enough.

Hopefully I can wrangle up some practice games before I ship myself ~1,000 miles north, but I just don't get enough opportunities sadly with my unusual weekends and work hours. Either way it will get me off my rear end and finally get those seekers painted, probably my plague drones too.

Back in 6th when I did manage to play it was a lot of 1-3 FMC with 9 screamer/15 hounds and a grinder or two so this shouldn't be much different. I always deployed everything and marched up the table into assault while horrors were surprisingly hard to remove thanks to great defensive abilities and my midfield aegis.

This list looks like it'll be very similar but less reliant on FMC, which I might have been leaning on too much as the 3+ knights started showing up. I think you are right that I was too pessimistic about the codex, I guess it was just a bit of a hobby funk that layered on top of my pet units (psykers, FMC, scout-assault) drastically changing which soured me to my daemons. The field is just so full or a wide variety of lists and killy units that I was having a disappointing time making a true "all comers list" that felt solid. Everything dies to thunderfire/wyvern/knights/serpents, except FMCreatures, but they don't punch with the same power anymore. But time has passed, the money has been paid and I'm feeling the itch to play again. This feels surprisingly good, and my expectations are probably a bit more reasonable now as well.

As far as tactics go, I assume I should deploy everything and go for broke early? That is normally my auto pilot anyway. I was never very good at FMCircus since I would charge headlong into battle instead of flying off the table for 5 turns. I assume I roll Divination over Malefic with my herald. Nova has a unique interpretation of Psyker focus and Chaos focus:

NoVA FAQ posted:

Chaos / Chaos Daemon units that obtain the Primaris power from their chosen discipline for free may still gain the Primaris from another discipline due to Psychic Focus if they only GENERATE powers from that specific tree during psychic power generation.
The min/max-er inside wants to only pick one tree to get 5 powers for the price of 3. Either way I don't have a poo poo-ton of dice so I expect to maybe cast one or two defensive powers and try summoning something cool from my horrors (Holy poo poo, 3-power horrors!). Hopefully something like shrouding for 2+ jink screamers, any combo of Invis/Grimoire to Seekers/Hounds and maybe some 4++ in-between if others fail. Although 2+ cover has been my Achilles heel in the past once ignore cover and assault got involved, but 2+ (cover)reroll is so easy to get and oh so sweet for my simple brain to overlook!

But to say again, thanks a bunch for the conversation and all the help. Hopefully one day I will meet you at NoVA or I will become bold enough to branch out to some other event more centrally located.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Hey, it looks like the space wolf supplement has leaked as well...

Warlords

Relics

Finally, some weildy AP2 for wolves!

Some old terminator armor that has +10pt for 4++. It sounds like people are already saying that a wolf-lord can wear it, then buy a wolf-mount and then deepstrike as well. Wolf-mound and terminator armor are mutually exclusive, but this upgrade only mentions it's terminator in the italics so who cares. Does he actually have terminator armor? Impossible to say!?

And poo poo, a 10pt belt that will make my daemons fail fear. They are going to make fear matter if it kills them.

Detachment (I hope you like elites)

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 9, 2014

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Foul Ole Ron posted:

What do you mean, summoning heralds or daemonettes ?

I think he has been drunk for like three days straight. That or he has given up actually reading his posts.

He said before that he liked to use Sacrifice to plop a Herald of Slaanesh and use the free 30pt upgrade to buy a Mastery level which gets psychic shriek guaranteed. But with the outflank mention I suppose he is making Slaanesh lists that use this method to deploy with their fancy steeds who then also summon Slaanesh units?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Von Humboldt posted:

Actually, that would be a hilarious gimmick - Great Wolf Detachment, 8 Dreads in Drop Pods, your choice of HQ, 3 empty Drop Pods from FA, and then, say, two units of Grey Hunters/Blood Claws with Drop Pods. Total of 13 pods, and you have 6 Dreads of your choice hit the table turn 1. Napkin math says it clocks in under 1850 as well.

Bjorn as the HQ. All dread battleforged army. Takes what the all terminator army tries to do and turns it up to 11.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Both of these photos remind me of dino riders in the best possible way.

I forget what VHS I had as a kid but there was a commercial for these things at the end. These were probably out of production by the time I saw that tape (never saw an ad on TV) but drat did I want them.

Now I'm tempted to crawl though my mother's attic for my old Exosquad toys to see how tall they are compared to a riptide/dreadknight...

One is even piloted by a lumpy headed tau! These probably would be too out of place in a 40k army, or would require someone like BuffaloChicken to actually pull it off.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Hello, what area will you be located? We goons are always looking for more chill people to play with. Check out the goon map if you have not already. https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=613438

If you are looking for low model count then Chaos Daemons is almost correct. They can start off with a few big creatures who eat up most of the points but have multiple ways to pulling in more troops each turn. Daemons can be very characterful and feel free to make up whatever story you want for them.

Generally speaking Necrons and Dark Eldar are mostly transport based while Daemons just march. Daemons are probably closer to a low model army if you spend points on Daemon Princes and Greater Daemons, and their psyker shenanigans can be fun but not as consistent as you would hope. A good starting game can be 500 to 750. You won't have all the bells and whistles and some armies have it better at low points but you can get a game in on a 4'-x-4' and get a grasp of the rules.

Pick an army based on your aesthetic preference. You will be building, painting and looking at these models for a long time, make sure you like them and enjoy their narrative. All 3 you have picked are roughly all decent as far as competitive wise, though Dark Eldar and Necrons might get a book update by the end of the year. So far most new books have been nice side-grades with tighter rules and small updates to match other books but nothing earth shattering beyond a few exceptions.

Once you browse the GW store and look at all the units and maybe read a blurb or two about the fluff you should be able to make a decision which one you like most. Then we can help you make a decent core list.

edit:doh:

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 15, 2014

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Spellcheck at work never feels the same...

In other news I am going to have to make some new markers for this new edition of 40k. I can tell 'Jink' markers will be needed much more now than in last edition. I probably don't need to cram so many copies of the psyker effects now that the psyker phase is so tough. If you guys can think of any markers that you would want I might be able to make it work. I will post a link to the pdf for easy printing at any fedex office or print shop.

I'm probably going to make most of the backgrounds for things like 'Gone 2 Ground' less cheeky and more generic, similar to the nebulas of my psyker abilities.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 15, 2014

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

NoVA Preperations are finishing up this week for me before I have to call brushes down. Thanks for all the help with my list, looking forward to some awesome games.

This is how I plan on formatting my list for my opponent's ease of reading:

AbusePuppy, and thoughts on a 2k version for 'Narrative'? If I go for the Ironman Award I would also need a 2k/1k version for Trios, 2k solo and 1k paired with MSP hybrid air/mech crons and probably a NoVA area Goon. I was thinking of just getting closer to maxing out my FA units as close as possible for 2k and then for 1k maybe loosing Tzeentch/Khrone heralds and Be'Lakor/Hounds, but I'm not sure if the list is designed for 1k.

Expect some model and army pics soon!

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Fliers have skyfire. So GK and DE have had it all along since their select skimmers are now fliers.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

I support the fluff behind the lack of wolves on Fenris but then are the space wolves covering their armor in dead battle brother's body parts? To think they look down their nose at others for doing the same thing. Casting the first stone etc.

Boon posted:

Also, Tomb Kings loving hate him because he destroyed their civilization (he was originally from that civilization).

Tomb Kings hate him. Learn one weird trick to making a skeleton do your bidding.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:siren:Big boring post about NoVA GT games:siren:
No pictures, who cares.

Had a blast at NoVA this year. I felt like I had less downtime between rounds and I was always in a rush but that was fun on its own if not a bit stressful.

I want to thank AbusePuppy for the assistance with my list, I think it made quite the difference.

In the GT I played 8 games. First four are to get you into a bracket then you play an isolated tournament with those 16-ish people.

My first GT game was versus my alarm clock. I lost. I was awake for about 8 hours of frantically painting my two Slaanesh grinders torsos before I drove about 14-15 hours straight to get to NoVA. When we got to there I had an evening game which went long (invitational player was drunk playing his friend's screamerstar for the first time. Great guy just a looong game).

I talked to the judge and assured them I was not dropping but just a worthless human who deserves a loss for round one. I was told I was going to get a loss for now but then my score would be aggregated with my second game, kinda like getting a strike in bowling. He wanted me to remind him after the second game since that would make the pairings a bit more accurate. 0-1

My next game was versus a ringer army, but he never showed up. I was paired with another player who also did not have an opponent, he had white scars bikes. The mission was objectives. I chose to score round by round instead of all at the end. It did not matter.

*This is the only picture I took. I play slow so I didn't want to slow down and take pics. I should have though, for nostalgia.*
Above you can see him post scout move and how he was in my face turn one. I lost a lot of bodies but was strong enough to counter charge on my turn. I did my best but I was so rusty I was forgetting to toss my portal or use my Grimoire on my turn. In the end I killed a lot but I lost. 0-2 About halfway though the match the judge walks over and tells us since neither of our opponents showed up we both were getting full points, he told us not to bother with the score sheet and to have a good game. So... Victory? 1-1

I made sure to stop by and remind the judge to aggregate my scores as he wanted, he nods and says that he did forget and that I was all set. Cool, I wait around for my next match. I see the pairings go up and head to my table. I guess in bowling if you get a strike after getting a strike your score goes up, I had a score of two full-point victories, so I was actually 2-0. I wonder who I will get paired up against now...

Eight waveserpents (5 dire avenger, 1 Wraithguard, 2 Fire dragon) are there waiting for me at my table. The game was killpoints. I could have chosen to pick a modified kill point objective instead, or I could have eaten a poo poo sandwich. All three options were just as good because I was completely tabled. I killed one waveserpent all game. Be'Lakor died to the first volley from a serpent (three 1s from my 2+ cover save VS the scatter laser alone). The guy was a cool dude just a poo poo matchup. Guess I was 2-1 at this point, though I was really 0-2 based on the games I played.

This ended the first day of the GT, a little food and a healthy amount of sleep and I was ready for my next game. 4 Objectives + Relic mission VS Nids. We each chose the alternate mission where we score based on each turn instead of all at the end and neither of us were allowed to move the relic (probably a mistake on my part). His list was similar to most nids I have seen over the years and the same kind of army that gave me trouble every time. Flying tyrants, two tervigons + gaunts, two crones, two mawloc and three zoanthropes. I played a good game after my blunder in mission choice. I killed a zoey with slash attacks to steal first blood. I killed a tervigon (my first ever killed I think) with my seekers but he passed his behavior checks on the stranded gaunts and had a Mawloc erupt under them. He had my Herald under the template and I LoSired the wounds till it was only the Herald left, so he hit again and I LoSir again and forced mishap, dead mawloc :frogc00l:. The game was tough, I would have won if he didn't get perils-super-sayen on his warlord which gave him a 4++. He actually forgot he had it despite my marker I left besides his warlord, but I couldn't let him since I would always know. It denied me warlord bonus points I needed to win. Ah well. 2-2.

Now that the first 4 games are over it was time to enter the brackets. It was around this time MSP and I realized I was 2-2 instead of 1-3 so I was worried I would get crushed in the bracketing.

My first bracket game was against an army I have seen before. It was the 1850 version of the screamerstar I played that first exhausted night at NoVA, except this is the guy who actually knows how to play it. Fateweaver, 4 Heralds, 2x horrors, 2x nurglings, 2x7screamers and an Imperial Knight. I think I'm screwed. Game was tablequarters, score at end with points or turn by turn by number of units. We each picked end of game and I chose First Blood, Last blood and Linebreaker. I made him go first. He was overzealous and flew fateweaver in my face turn one and moved his knight forward looking to charge against my scouted hounds, which he failed. Fate's nova didn't hurt and he flickered my seekers hard but I grounded him despite his reroll and first blooded Fateweaver and counter charged his Knight with Be'Lakor on my turn one. Be'Lakor didn't take damage and the knight had one HP left. That was big. He made as many heralds as he could and had a stupid unit with almost 8 heralds but he could only score so much with one super unit and flickering fire sucks, so weird having a top list rely on it. He split up on his turn but I was bottom and I was able to tie quarters and win on secondaries. 3-2. I felt like I really played this game quite well and that I was getting better.

Second bracket game was versus Tau allied with Tau, no enclaves (NoVA approved because you could only bring one CAD). He had farsight, shadowsun and buff-commander in a giant target-lock bodyguard unit (5-2xMissile, 3-2xFusion) with 18 gundrones. It was over 1k points in one unit. Rest of the list was 4 SMS-devilfish with minimum firewarriors and aegis+comms. It was objective scoring or something, didn't matter. I gave him first turn and I was surprised to see him deploy, but it made sense. I was all naked bodies running at him and he could just stand and shoot. His first turn killed a grinder for first blood (holy gently caress tank hunter) He ended his turn and I asked him if he was going to thrust move. The room was loud a little loud and we were in a bad acoustic pocket so he asked me to repeat my words twice. I had to almost shout "THRUST MOVE?". He shrugged, rolled a 9" move and moved at bit back. I ran up as fast as I could and tried to Shriek his unit since he had no Inv saves. I terrified the unit first to get -1Ld to try and maximize my damage. He passed his 3d6 Ld, and I was like, poo poo... Then he took his terrify Ld check and rolled 11. And then rolled a 5" fallback, and was just enough to go off the table, thanks to that thrust move. On the bottom of turn one I killed over 1kpoints of his army. He shook my hand. 4-2. I felt bad, he was a younger guy from Stomping grounds and was obviously upset at loosing to a single power. He took it as gracously as he could, tough loss obviously. He asked if we could roll it out a bit if that didn't happen and it was obvious that he would have destroyed me. That didn't make him feel any better.

The next morning after a pair of Narrative games, two Long Island ice teas and most of a pizza I had my final two games. At this point yesterday's Indian food-truck was tabling my guts and I was eating half a box of chewable pepto bismol. Sounds like wargaqming to me.

My opponent was GK/Centstar. The list's last hurrah. The player was Xavier Zimmerman, who was the winner of Adepticon young bloods apparently. His list had Coteaz, Tiggy and grenade inquis with 5 centurions with 6 razorbacks with minimum psyker squads and 3 psy-filemen. Mission was the same as the screamerstar matchup with different deployment. We both picked end of game questers based on points alive (which I think was a mistake since he had MSU and could have scored more over the game probably). The game was uneventful. We traded a few units but I knew I would never kill his invisible pointsink and made sure I scored more quarters and secondaries. In the end I had tied the table and won with linebreaker. Nice young man and it was an anti climactic game though it was very close. 5-2.

My final round was against Space marines with objectives. We both picked end of game blitzkrieg. Ironhands drop/transport hybrid list. He had two thunderfires and 3 droppods (sternguard/honour guard+Termy Master/empty) with two squads in rhinos, one sout squad in speeder, melta legion'o'damned, stormtalon and some devastators. I made him go first despite having first blood. He played a mind game and dropped his honour guard near his deployment zone and an empty pod. I had to cross the table to get to him. I weathered his first barrage while making my seeker's Inv save worse, whoops. Thankfully I was able to get just close enough to shriek one of his two thunderfires with Be'Lakor. First blood. (Demons loving love first blood). His sternguard and Legion squad come in and each fail to kill a soul grinder, or anything for that matter. His lascannons and stormtalon don't do much to my armor and the scouts preoccupy themselves with some horrors gone to ground in some ruins. Finally I get my defense in order. I lock up his fearless legion with a grinder and kill his stenguard with hounds/other grinder. My Tzeentch herald gets cursed earth and grimoire on my seekers while Be'Lakor shrouds the screamers. I assault his two rhinos and empty his troops. He is stuck in his deployment with no objec secured eslewhere except his scouts who are busy fighitng half my horrors. He charges my seekers but 2++ is good. I was able to stuff him into his zone and contest his empry pod scoring and hit linebreaker for a win.

6-2.

I won my bracket. The 6th bracket out of 12. I am the best out of the middle of the pack I guess. Over the tourmament I learned a lot and noticed my level of play rize. The NoVA missions are really well designed and make the field much more even. It's not perfect, I had 0 chance versus the waveserpents for example but there's not much mission design can do to save you from that. I won a box of Hiveguard as my prize. That kit is worth $70 apparently but I have no use for it. They can convert into beasts of nurgle I guess.

Final thoughs. My loving portal made probably... 15 models total. Over 7 games played to at least turn 4. Many players stopped and told me it looked awesome but the bastard is stingy with the models.

And final final though. Sex Cannon is a badass. It was great to see this goon. His personality was radiant and he got me out of the hotel to hang with some people other than MSP for once. He reminded me of my friends before I ostracized myself on another size of town with a job on the other half of the day. I look forward to seeing him in the future. Maybe next time I will have more time to hang with him. I'll have to get on the same Narrative faction as him in the very least, if not warlord it up and party like a badass.

I played against these two big tanks in the narrative. They are heavy as poo poo. The sides are solid resin apparently, but I was drunk as hell that game.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Thats not right, since each individual template can only kill what its hit, it could drastically reduce the amount of hits for another flamer in the same squad.

This is close. Each weapon type fires in its own step. A squad has a missile, flamer+combi flamer, 6 bolters and a Plasma pistol. The player decides a weapon to shoot. He should select flamer since that will be shortest range. All the flamers hit and wound in one step then allocate damage at once. If the combi flamer can reach deep into the squad then both weapons allocate damage that far, even if the normal flamer could only hit one model. It's how the rules are explained in the shooting section. After the flamer is fully resolved move onto next weapon for that unit. Plasma Pistol --> Bolter --> Missile etc.

You are correct in that a unit of flamers can't kill anything beyond what the furthest template could hit. The 'burna wagon' shenanigans where 15 templates fire out of an open topped vehicle and burn an entire 50 man blob are over. But if and one the template can reach then they are fair game.

And for the argument about combi weapons I noticed this:

quote:

COMBI-WEAPONS

A model armed with a combi-weapon can choose to fire either the main boltgun, or the secondary weapon. You cannot fire both in the same turn. Each combi-weapon has only one secondary weapon. The main and secondary weapons of a combi-weapon fire at the same time as all other similarly named weapons in that unit. For example, the ‘boltgun’ part of a combi-weapon fires at the same time as all other boltguns in the unit.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 4, 2014

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

The narrative is like a weekend campaign. They make their own fluff but use GW books which can play either side.

Humans are fighting off an invasion of aliens (virtue). Each codex had an optional change they could adapt based on which faction. Example. Human blood angels could have vehicles shoot twice but had BS3 and gets hot rule added and must shoot all weapons, no holding back! Virtue Demons list of all Tzeentch could not generate on malefic but could choose powers from other disciplines instead of rolling. I had two iron arm DP for sure each game.

Each mission had normal goals. Objectives or whatever as well as secret selected secondaries that are revealed at same time before mission start. Then the loosing side would get a covert mission, like 'martyrs' where they had to kill an enemy unit then die before the end of the game.

The battles would take place in a region, like the cities, wastelands or space. Each zone had interesting buffs or debuffs based on a chart. Example, Cities had negative one BS but better cover, and outer space did not allow rerolls on saving throws but everything got hammer of wrath.

The warlord level players (those who were not playing in the GT) got to decide which of their players would go to which region and compete for the campaign. MSP was on humanity and that bastard put my Virtue Tzeentch demons in space as much as he could.

Then there are personal goals of Fame and Infamy where players try to lead their warlord down a path to do difficult personal goals for status. Example, End the game with warlord outside your deployment zone on an objective, or have him escape into enemy deployment zone and count as destroyed for the mission.

Basically it was a campaign of casual players having a ball. Even the invitational players laid back and just beerhammered like the rest of us. Forge world was allowed as well as 30k. I killed Logan just to have him plot armor 2+ back up and then ran into my deployment zone to deliver his covert objective and score more points for humanity. Cool poo poo like that.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 5, 2014

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Naramyth posted:

What was your idea for suits?

Suits are almost dread sized:

So maybe...

The big guy on the left? They sell them in 3-packs and 9-packs on forgeworld and I'm sure you can find deals on ebay or whatever if that is your thing.
Might need a bit of cork to get just the right height, or a simple flight stand/pin.

They have what looks to be jet packs, are mechanicus as gently caress and you can slap any weapon on it and claim whatever profile you want, just like the Nid players. Who can argue really, as long as there is some kind of order to the madness.

They might have a totally different profile in 30k, so that could be confusing to those 30k players out there.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Poison only rerolls when Str is higher than toughness now, so they are not better Vs T3 because of that.

Plaguebearers suck. They are slow and what makes them work is shrouding and glances VS AV in cc with 6s to hopefully tarpit a knight. You don't see many Plaguebearers unless they are summoned tactically or it's a softer fluffy list.

More often you see daemonettes instead. No shrouding but higher Initiative and fleet. Speed for CC units is very important, reroll run is great when you have to and resolve charge is clutch. Witches seem to have similar things as daemonettes, as well as haywir'in Knights. Put in object secured and you got a winner in my book.

We'll have to see how things go once the book drops. Wracks might be good to get a cheap venom or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Transport jinks. Transport must snap shoot.
Unit inside does not care. As long as you only move 6“ they can shoot just fine.
Splitter rack reroll now for everything splitter based. That is great.

• Locked thread