Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

Hey, I LOVE your podcast. It's essentially what brought me back to this game after years away.

It's also a nice contrast to the usual doom and gloom you might find here and on /tg/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I like to have the MWG batreps running while painting.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MWG just seem like a couple of guys having fun playing a game. :shrug:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ghetto wormhole posted:

I have the book now if you have any specific questions.

Also I did this because I hate myself and everyone around me, but I especially hate money: :vomarine:

Are there any changes to jetpack troops and cover?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ghetto wormhole posted:

Both look to be the same.

Thanks mate.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Man I wish I could get my hands on some Russes cheap just to be able to do that. :arghfist::(
Or just some neat Infantry/Tank combo FOCs.

Trawl eBay for rescue jobs and weather the poo poo out of them.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Something which I've tried but Ebay sellers always seem to be the highest shipping cost to Sweden that they're capable off which makes it never really worth the effort in many cases.
I keep getting somewhat jealous whenever I hear Ghost Hand and the others on IC talk about deal they make at various game store sales and such because that just isn't a thing here except possibly in the major cities which tend to have decent gaming stores. Even if they never do that kind of thing best to my knowledge.

That sucks, that area of Europe seems to have the worst shipping costs, even before overzealous eBayer shipping fees.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

New Strike Forces out.

£190 £45 saving not including the new Captain.

£175 £41.50 saving.

Also a bunch of paint sets that have funky boxart and save you about a quid or two.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 23, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fix posted:

I see they have fixed the rules about assaulting and shooting between rooms in a multi-part building by just excluding them, so that's pretty fantastic. :thumbsup:

Could you expand on that? I'm not familiar with it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SRM posted:

So I dunno if this got posted in the old thread, but I saw this:

Brutal but(te) kummin'? :monocle:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JerryLee posted:

It's not like namedropping Citadel products is anything new (remember kids, your models will explode if you don't use high-quality Citadel tools and Citadel super glue).

Ironically using Citadel glue is exactly why my models exploded. Fixing Fire Warriors is OK, but a Riptide? Ugh.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Gave a quick read to the 3++ post, I have to say the only rule I actually like is the FNC grounding and charging changes.

Personally the new night fight system is pointless and boring.

Oh and the new "everything is a +5" cover rule and lack of area terrain.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Crazy Ferret posted:

I do have a question about the new rules. I read on the 3++ blog that a weapon cannot allocate wounds outside of LOS. Does that mean if I have a mortar or some kind of artillery weapon that scatters behind a wall on models the weapon crew cannot see, the damage is negated? Does this affect the Hellhound's torrent attack?

I feel like this will get FAQ'd because it negates the whole point of artillery.

"Haha you can't see me! The fiery death raining down on me does nothing, teehee!".

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Played my first game. So fun. So fun.

Tactical objectives own so hard it's unreal.
Played an ork buddy. He summoned demons on me. My thunderfire wrecked all his troops but due to tactical objectives he was winning until the final turn. Continually changing game dynamic and it really made me think each turn to score maximum points. Psychic phase was smooth as silk. Challenges are no longer busted.

My librarian went demonic, fired off soul flames and beams of death, before getting warp charged and staying his warlord. Then he went into CC with a kan fired a demon beam, blew up the kan behind the kan he was fighting, and then his head exploded from perils.

10/10 would blow own head off again

Did you find anything jarring compared to 6th?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Shallow posted:

Also gently caress you whoever mentioned ebay I just logged in and ended up buying that mail-order captain.

:haw:

Personally I'm surprised that gargoyles aren't going for less than 50% off RRP.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LordAba posted:

To be fair, that the sprue hasn't been a part of the lemon russ kit for quite a while now (last codex).

What's wrong with gargoyles? (I just rounded out my army with 30).

Don't know, I just never see them in anyone's list unless it's Skyblight.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

"Objective Secured" was the gargoyles' special snowflake gently caress YOU power ("Skyblight?") not only to contest, but cancel your opponent's contesting an objective. Now all troops get it, so they kinda got shat on. That said, do they even get it if you don't take the data slate formation for it? I figure it'd be hilarious to have an unbound 'Nid army full of gargoyles infinitely respawning and laughing other assholes off of objectives.

Oh for fucks sake.

I'm just going to houserule in the "no charging if you swooped and landed" and "one grounding test" into 6th and call it a day.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DO IT TO IT posted:

I use them, but don't play Skyblight. I just make a big stupid line of them across my deployment and use them as meatshields until they die. It's silly how many times people will spend their entire turn 1 just gunning down 15 unupgraded gargoyles and not even looking at the more important stuff.

Alternatively, I may be the only (soon to be) 'nid player in my entire area.

Woah, woah, everything in battleforged armies scores? And unbound armies can't score? Do dataslates/codices still overrule the BRB, because my planned unbound "the ground is made of lava so you better have some wings" tyranid army with skyblight formation might have just become null and void.

e: Alternatively I can Force Org it with some Shrikes and just bump it to 2000 points.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 24, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

drgnvale posted:

I haven't read the rules (I'm not going to my LGS and paying full price for this poo poo, I'll wait for the mini-book), but I thought the rumor of unbound armies not scoring had been frabricated. Everyone scores, but battleforged troops get objective secured (and skyblight gargoyles).

Hmm, slightly more manageable then. I should probably just chill and instead of going all :derp:, I should have an actual game of 7th instead.

And while I can squeeze in some bit more Tyranid chat, what exactly makes Shrikes (or Warriors in general?) so terrible?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

xtothez posted:

I just noticed they severely nerfed Blind. It now works like a grounding test - a single roll made at the and of the phase regardless of how many Blind attacks were successful. So Gargoyles can't benefit from it on the turn they charged, and there's a good chance most units will just pass the single test anyway.

They're a 30pt unit with a crappy save, mediocre range + BS for their shooting weapons, and get ID'd with ease. Generally the only good use for Warriors is as synapse and a supporting Barbed Strangler to try and pin units. If Warriors were 20-25pts basic I'd probably take them more often, if only as cheap Synapse and objective holders.
Shrikes die in droves to bolters thanks to their terrible 5+ armour. While they can make it into combat fairly easily, you're looking at throwing Terminator level points to make them any good at it, and they'll still drop to a single powerfist.

I'm not sure what blind actually does, because none of the armies I played against utilised it. That, and my Tau are basically immune to it but that's beside the point.

I suppose I could maybe run Warriors modeled as Shrikes, as I plan to have my board full of terrain. If I had them as synapse it would mean that my Flyrants could worry less about babysitting.

What is synapse important for by the way, as the gargoyles in Skyblight have Fearless, I think there's another rule - instinctive behaviour - that synapse deals with, right?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LordAba posted:

For laughs I took a chunky unit of gargoyles in front of a brood of 3 CC carnifex. Cheap as hell.

Opponent took his 5 man kitted out thunderwolf squad, charged into the gargoyles because they were in the way, and killed them all. So I charge in, smash attack with 9 attacks rerolling to hit all at S10 to instakill the entire squad in one go. Best thing ever.

It'll only be 3 smash attacks now, because monstrous creatures shouldn't be too monstrous. :shobon:

Post 9-11 User posted:

The point is moot with flamers, whether or not they get cover from blast markers depends on whether or not Games Workshop bothered to write rules for whether or not models inside transports get cover.

Probably not

Oh right, forgot about all that. Well, now I don't know whether to get them or not. I can get 6 for the price of 3 RRP.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Imperium forces summoning demons is still so dumb. Narrative my rear end.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'd love to hear the reasoning for some of the changes in 7th.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tadhg posted:

Because, "gently caress you." That's why.

Realpost, the cynical side of me thinks that most of these changes are just meeting a corporate mandated minimum quota of changes to justify the new edition. Psychic phase aside, there doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking or inspired here (and the psychic phase really does feel like a poor imitation of Fantasy's magic.)

I deal with underclassmen college students a lot, and this really does feel like finding a wikipedia copy/paste in a paper with a bunch of random changes made in order to make it look like original work.

One of my professors said to go to Wikipedia first. :v:

Some of the rules I didn't understand, like template weapons scattering on to LOS blocked units not wounding, until a friend explained that the LOS blocker would intercept the shot (which made me feel pretty dumb).

Vector strike nerf I kind of understand, but I feel that the smash reduction is just a little bit rude to monstrous creatures.

E:

Psychic phase I get, as it'll hopefully reduce power spam, but my Tau's best method of denying the witch remains to shoot the witch deas first.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

The smash attack reduction is directly a result of the flying circus daemon prince lists. Same for Swooping MC's being unable to charge on the turn they land.

Yeah the swooping is a fine change in my opinion, and I guess walkers might get some more use maybe?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ChrisAsmadi posted:

ICs not being able to join MCs

So I can't stick Shadowsun into a unit with a Riptide to confer Stealth and Shrouded?

e: Also, is nightfight really just "everyone has stealth!"?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Tried our first 6.5/7th edition game...overall I liked it. I used an unbound Nids force with a couple of CSM models I had handy:

Posts like this overall reassure me about 7th, but my main issue with it is still the price. Guess I'll be waiting for the minibook.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

But in otha news, its da new stompa.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that thing is awesome.

It's just been brought to my attention that each barrel of the gatling gun contains more gatling guns. :orks101:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Shallow posted:

Sweet. (Look at me missing a whole new page of posts because I'm smart!)

Don't feel too bad, you're the third person to do this in the past hour. :iiam:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

Look, you don't know for sure he's wrong; maybe his brother posts inflammatory messages and compares people to Hitler on Ebay. It's not outside the realm of possibility.

"Haha, I bet you're too much of a pussy to sell this to me below 70% off RRP. Only Hitler would sell it for 50% off."

e: what a terrible way to start a new page, I'm so sorry.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I think the digital stuff gets the FAQs baked in, so you have to redownload it. Sorry pirateailures.

This, plus like zero resale value and space saving might make me just buy digital versions instead.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Goon hivemind, I need your help in identifying some mysterious units while I'm cleaning out my bitz and trying to sell some of it off.

Looks like an Empire steam tank, and some dorfs and Empire archers. Ask the Fantasy thread. :)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Star Man posted:

Oy, I decided to pull out the unpainted ~1,000 point Salamanders army that I've had since 2012. I still don't know how to play this game or anything and this poo poo had been sitting in my closet or garage unpainted or unfinished in that time. Go me~

What a fantastic time to jump into the Oath thread!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LordAba posted:

Battlewagon option:

I need that for my Clan Skurvy screaming bell.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

xtothez posted:

According to Dakka, they have been ordering GW stock from Wayland direct to the customer's address.

edit: Order from Element Games. The discount isn't as good but they're rock solid, always arrived next day for me.

I prefer Darksphere over Element. Even with shipping charges, it usually ends up cheaper.

e: the owner is a pretty cool dude too, their store in London is nice.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 2, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh, I just noticed Skaven. Hope shipping to UK isn't awful.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Just like "pro painted" stuff, they're either dumb themselves or banking on a dumb target market, and it's a tossup as to which.

I was bidding for some Gargoyles, when I saw a "Brood" of five models go for £8.50 + £3 shipping. :smith:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Boon posted:

Not familiar with the Wet Nurse. Not sure I want to be.

:siren: NSFW :siren:

It's legitimately :stonk:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Dear lord, that thing is disgusting. Giger, rest his biomechanical penis sould, would go "That's too much".

100% sure that came from some jerkoff material a creeper on DA came up with. The other stuff on there is almost as bad. The creator really has a preggo fetish.

Which is a shame because the setting sounded kind of interesting but then tits, dicks, dicktits, and pregnant titdicks.

• Locked thread