Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ineptmule posted:

Homeworld 2 was bad? I loved that game.

Some of the gameplay was a great update on the original (the complete lack of an AI was a glaring downside), but the story was nonsensical and the writing itself was fanfic levels of hack. It was like night and day compared to the story in Homeworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Extermination has the most in-depth Mechanicus list thus far, right?

Yes, the Taghmata Omnissiah

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Thundercloud posted:

What Admech units are in the Crusade army list books? Do you only get the Admech list in extermination?

Each book has an AdMech list larger than the last.

Betrayal has the Ordo Reductor with just the Thallax Cohort and named HQ Magos Reductor, plus Land Raider/Avenger/Titans

Massacare has the Legio Cybernetica which has Magos Dominus, Enginseers, Myrmidons, Thallax, Castellax, Tech thralls and all the imperial flyers

Extermination has the Taghmata Omnissiah is all of the above plus a Magos Prime, a named Arch Magos, Triaros APC, Ursarax, Vorax, Thanatar, Krios tank, Knights Errant+Paladin+Lancer

Edit: If you meant the summary books, the Thallax and Castellax appear in The Crusade Army List book, but that's all. I imagine there will be a similar book summarising the Mechanicum and Dark Mechanicum once they're done with both of them.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 27, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hollismason posted:

How many more books are in Horus Heresy? From Forgeworld? I read that the next books are going to retread the older legions in order to not get ahead of themselves with not having made everything from the previous books, then they'd be doing a Ad Mech only book at some point.

It's supposed to be a set of 9 main books in the end, plus a bunch of the smaller condensed ones for people who just want the lists.

The next book is HH4: Conquest, featuring the Sons of Horus, Death Guard, Iron Hands, Salamanders, Imperial Fists, Mechanicum, Dark Mechanicum, Solar Auxilia, Knights, and unspecified Titan Legions.

I'd expect a Mechanicum heavy book to be in the last trio, focusing on the war on Mars

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 29, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

All the rumours are focusing on Dark Eldar, it's a raffle between the three

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lord Twisted posted:

Does anyone have any advice for freehanding writing onto a flat surface - in this case the armour of a Leman Russ? Just want to write "CAIN" and "ABEL" onto the side of my paired punishers which I'm running as a squadron

How thick and how well? I'm bad and I did this using what is basically a ruined cheap brush, the bristles fused into a solid but blunt pseudo pen nib. Used the paint thick, short strokes so I didn't have to repaint over where the paint ran out, and tied not to be too fancy about it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

edit: please give me the option of putting loving helmets on characters

Marines pussy enough to wear helmets don't get to be characters :colbert:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

HiveCommander posted:

Can't disagree with you there.
The not-warbuggies are badass too and I'd love to see some of these on the other end of the table.

There's also the Quad conversion, plus an APC version in both the trike and quad

I have a couple of the regular trikes and some grunts from crazy boxes, and between those and buying slightly more Deadzone marauders than I need for that game (including two of these resin bad boys) I'm putting together a neat little 40k Ork army, I think. A Warpath Marauder 1 player box full of grunts and a trike might be the only addition I'd really need.

Also have one of these, I think it could be pretty Orky.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pierzak posted:

Squats? Please tell me it's Squats.

Is it even possible to find original squats anymore?

JerryLee posted:

I'm happy that a mini rulebook will be out in the wild now, even though I'll probably go ebay for it if I can find one in any reasonable amount of time.

I too am happy, it can replace the 6th edition mini rulebook I never actually got to use. Gonna stick with Dark Angels as a tiny allied force though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Indolent Bastard posted:

Would one of these help?

You get 1" 2" 4" and 6" for 12" just have a standard ruler to hand. Most distances covered, only one hand required.

Micro Art Studios makes two with different measurements on them as well (1x2x6x3 and an older 1x2x6x4), and really just about anybody using a laser cutter to knock out MDF/HDF/Plastic terrain has their own similar measurement template on sale as well.

Should be dead easy to find one to your liking ijyt

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Those Mantic things are great, and I have a bunch of them. Mould lines are simply a result of the PVC material, they clean up pretty easily and quickly.

I'm a terrible painter and modeler, and mine look like this, someone better than I could easily make them more 40k

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 9, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yes, I really am that bad at painting. My hands shake something terrible.

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I think most of their stuff is hideous, but I'm glad there are people who like their stuff because that will hopefully keep them around long enough to start making good looking models.

Hopefully they don't get lost up their own rear end and start churning out poo poo like the Taurox though

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I dig the 7E Ork book layout pretty well.

On a side note, does anyone know how to get ahold of or kitbash a shitton of Warbuggies? 30pts for TL rokkits is just too good to pass up, and all I have are 2 Wartrakks. The Kromlech ones are badass-looking, but significantly more expensive than finding used GW ones on eBay to kitbash into something halfway decent-looking.

Suggestions:

http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=60
http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/warpath/marauders/product/marauder-raptor-quad.html
http://www.miniaturescenery.com/CategoryPage.asp?CODE=CAT_VH

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SRM posted:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I hope some actual ex-GW sculptors come show them how not-40k is done. I like that they stand as a company that can do plastic minis and do an army-scale game to try and match 40k, but I don't like their aesthetics (generally not enough focus, like a cool idea here and there that don't work together) and the material/casting quality is all over the place.

Since they're not making not-40k, I'd rather they simply went with the best sculptors, rather than getting the best of the dregs left in the sinking ship because 40k and GW. As it is, they already make plenty of excellent sculpts, they just get ignored by people with GW aesthetic blinders on. More vehicles will be about next year.

Springfield Fatts posted:

Adding to what NTRabbit said, Ramshackle Games.

Even cheaper (Orkier) than that is what I did this weekend. Go to a dollar store and buy up a bunch of those cheap monster truck knock offs. Cover with plasticard & gubbins then call it day. I finally found a use for all those rokkits my Dakkajet came with, too.

I knew I was forgetting one, I really need to organise my bookmarks to make stuff easier to find. Tonka trucks best trucks :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SRM posted:

I think if they want to make not-40k

They don't and aren't, so the rest is irrelevant. People still can and do find a way to use some of the minis anyway, because a lot of 40k is as generic and derivative as anything else.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Anyone who was looking to get the Ork trikes or counts-as Thunderfire cannons from Mantic, they're having a 30% off sale on the webstore for the next hour with the code SHOCK30. Three thunderfire cannons or bikes for £14 is some deal.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

It's like a wall of hieroglyphs lifted from a temple :allears:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Slimnoid posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't. It's a Forgeworld unit which, depending on who you talk to, is either 100% legal or the worst thing since Dracula and how dare you even mention it at the gaming table you WAAC scrublord.

Forgeworld units all look cool as gently caress, people who don't want them on the table have no sense of cinematics or narrative. Or style.

I mean gently caress, which one of these would you rather see on a table:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 12, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Slimnoid posted:

The one on the far right, duh.

Original Avatar or bust :colbert:

Are we saying that SRM needs to add a 1st edition Eldar army to his retro collection?

Because I think we should be

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I know I'm in the minority, but I like the avatar on the left...

I like the Forgeworld one because I feel the Avatar of Khaine, the embodiment of the Eldar god of war, should be taller and more imposing than a Terminator

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

gently caress, have a better paint job then, the selection is limited when trying to find all 3 in one photo

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Post 9-11 User posted:

Posting lovely pirate miscasts? Probably increases the value of their IP.

So what does posting recasts of higher quality than the original do to the IP? :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

They also play test their rules pretty extensively, which makes me chuckle because they're still always so full of holes.

Play testing your own rules is the problem, because you're only ever going to see and play them how you wrote them in your head, it takes testers external to the writers to find and report on the flaws

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

Its not the writers that test them. More or less everyone big into gaming at their hq will play a new version.

Then they're all terrible :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

Theres also a guy who's entire job on the design team is to come up with broken army lists/combos for new books.

He's not very good at this.

When they need someone who can come up with the most dickish, joy killing, fun sucking, rear end in a top hat lists imaginable, they're really missing a trick by shunning the internet.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Speaking of conversions and counts as, saw this is coming in the future

Aside from being easy to Ork up, I forsee a potential line - the Leman Russ already resembles a French BDR G1B, this one is a Matilda II, they should make a KV-1/T-34-85 to go with Vostroyans, an M4 sherman to go with Catachans, and absolutely not make any German tanks for the IG with swastikas on them to use.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SRM posted:

I mean, it's meant to be a counts-as Leman Russ. There's even sponson mounting for it. I think a Patton would be better for Catachans, since we didn't use Shermans in Vietnam.

Yeah I know it is, it's from Victoria who make all the not-IG, I just thought it was a neat idea with thus far nice execution and figured it was easy to take further. While the Patton is historically suitable to the Catachans and the Sherman isn't, I'm not sure it's as easily turned into a 40k vehicle, which is why I said Sherman. The Patton series are too modern in appearance, IG tanks are all about sponsons, tall slab sides and chunky turrets slammed on top.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 15, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The T1 Heavy Tank would certainly suit purposes for an American tank, but they never saw combat and most people have no idea what they are or what they look like, so they won't have the same impact. I guess an M5 Stuart would be flat and distinctive enough. Not the M3 Stuart though.

Could always try an M3 Lee, they're goofy enough to be 40k :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hollismason posted:

Oh poo poo yea, I completely forgot about Prospero. That is going to be some bad rear end poo poo right there. I hope it's just Space Wolves and Thousand Sons ( I think that's who was there).

Space Wolves, Thousand Sons, Imperial Army, Sisters of Silence and the Adeptus Custodes are what was teased iirc.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wait, what is this?

The army lists of the first three HH books condensed into two single lightweight books for £50 total, basically.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hollismason posted:

Oh wow I thought the book that collected all of them was part of a more expensive collected volume. That's a great deal!

They were first released in black, along with HH3 and an art book in a special box set with room in the box for HH1 and HH2. Shortly after the LE box sold out they went on sale separately in red.

The HH books themselves are fabulous, and make the costlier LE versions of the regular codexes look like fanfics bound at Kinko's FedEx Office, but if you just want the army lists those two books are unbeatable. Add it to the list of things that FW got right, and GW got nowhere close.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I don't get tyranids, they just aren't really for me, but that one seems to have a weird oversized but square jaw, and looks too top heavy

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Germ posted:

drat. Color me impressed.

Pretty sure they'll do a Mechanicum one in the same style once they've finished adding a few more branches of Mechanicum and the Dark Mechanicum, should have Titan Legions, Knights and all.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SRM posted:

Kind of a bummer that the new urban Realm of Battle table only has two different tile designs, but they look reasonably neat. Just very, very busy. I like the look of the Forgeworld ones better as they're more understated, but they're hella expensive. A whole board will cost you over $700, and this plastic board is only $330 in comparison.

There's always the Secret Weapon Tablescapes Clean and Damaged Urban Streets (about $190 rrp) and Games & Gears Battle Boards 28mm Urban Battlefield (about $90 RRP) if you're looking for something less busy or cheaper, and with 8 clean and 8 damaged 1'x1' and 6 2'x2' unique tile designs respectively. They're both due for retail within a month, maybe two months tops?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 17, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I didn't back the Secret Weapon one, little too rich for my blood at the time. The G&G ones are definitely for the budget conscious gamer and the detail reflects that in comparison. They were delayed when the floods in the region partially wiped out the Chinese factory they had contracted, which destroyed the pretty transport boxes and damaged a lot of the boards, but I'm looking forward to getting mine soon.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Moola posted:

Please post pictures more guys this is awesome!

Pictures of your armies (even if they ain't pro painted) is way better than pages of list chat.

Have some Craftworld Yme-Loc Eldar with an ice world base theme, my entire painted army to date

Daft Punk heavy weapon platform team

Wave Serpent #1

Guardians

War Walkers and the best bases I've done so far

Vypers modded to have underslung shuriken cannons because they didn't come with the body fitting ones

Rangers in glacier camo

Far Seer

Illic Nightspear lending a hand

Wave Serpent #2

Striking Scorpions in grey on grey on grey 'shadow' camo with orange eyes

Not gotten around to black light shots of the most recent ones yet

In action, their first ever battle

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 17, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cyberia posted:

These are all awesome, I love the UV paintjobs.

Thanks :buddy: Yme-Loc is orange and grey, so I decided to go eye searing day-glo orange and dark grey, then was looking on ebay and decided glow in the dark orange was even more eye searing so the glow in the dark army was born!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Moola posted:

Rad!

You should ally in some dark eldar because then you can call them Glow in the Dark Eldar.

:aaaaa:

Excuse me one second while I adjust my wishlist

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

AgentF posted:

We must have another some time soon. I've barely touched the new IG Codex and my boys are looking for a scrap (from a distance (with heavy ordnance)).

Now I have two serpent shields, so we'll see about that :v:

Do you have 7th? Because I don't :20bux:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Either or, more about the fun than anything else. Working on some new heavy support options right now at least, but really ought to get some Dire Avengers done at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

HiveCommander posted:

I feel so justified in defending the quality of your posts in another thread the other day. Best idea ever.
Make it happen, NTRabbit. Godspeed.

If someone gives me a idea of what a Dark Eldar allied detachment should look like, I'll work on it. So far all I can think of is Raiders with Banshees and Dark Reapers.

• Locked thread