Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lungboy posted:

The older ones are ok.

The old crab claw ones?

Because, I'll say it... Diaz daemonettes are horrible and helped justify gronards putting tits on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lungboy posted:

In the fluff, Daemonettes are alluring and beautiful even with their claws and stuff, they aren't supposed to be creepy or disgusting. I'd guess that they are usually more female than male because they are trying to corrupt enemies that are largely men.

They are alluring because of glamors though. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (because the beholder is high as gently caress).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cataphract posted:

youtube.com/axisofawesome
axisofawesome.com

Now I'm going to feel guilty when I skip you on my Pandora playlist. :(

I'm a 3 hour plane ride away from my models, clippers, etc, but I still did it. I bought a gorkanaut. I just hope I have enough room in my luggage!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Naramyth posted:

Toss the box and travel with only the sprues/instructions. I buy stuff at our store from time to time when I'm on my bike and thats how I get crap into my backpack.

Good idea! That should make it easier to hide in my dirty underwear.
I was going to pick up the gunboyz set but it offers no discount. So I might have to go back to the shop and pickup the flash gitz. Now I won't need the lootas or shokk attack gun, and I can only pick up 3 of the mekk guns. At a discount from my FLGS. Way to be GW.

Hmm... I just have to judge how bitchy people will get if I use the Morkanaught without the base. I really want one of the larger oval bases to build up something for my harridan and it should be the perfect size.

Also:
squiggoth < morka/gorkanaught < greater squiggoth

EDIT: Obvious correct answer are ork Matryoshka dolls. An epic scale deffdread inside a killakan inside a deffdread inside a morkanaught inside a stompa.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 16, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CyberLord XP posted:

Honestly I would be pretty shocked if bikes didn't get a decent point reduction. Which would make them pretty gross.

Ork bikes getting a cover save built in is already pretty awesome. As long as we can still make them troops I'm happy!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nurgle

It looks like it is covered in a technicolor yawn.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Incursion APEs would work but I don't know the price to them.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Raphus C posted:

It was sometimes useful for Nobs when they didn't have Klaws as I think they have I3 so would swing at I4. Still, nobs without Klaws are not much of anything worth crying over.

For units of nobs? Super useful. 5 attacks on the charge at WS5 (WAAAAUUGH banner) S5 I4 isn't bad, as you would only fit 1-2 klaws in the unit anyways.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Teabag posted:

This is why Orks need body acceptance. We can't all fit into your Imperial standard size 0 terminator armour! #Orkyatallsizes

What about the grots? Sure, orks have problems but they never know the fear of being killed by their own weapon or of the smaller ones accidentally sucked up by a shok attack gun.

#YesAllGrots

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

IG was going to be a bad codex too, wasn't it?

Remember: places like 3++ is the new black and bell of lost souls post up rumors that actively contradict what the white dwarf shows. Hell, have of the rumors posted in this thread are made up to get other people to post them!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

waah posted:

I hear the new Ork Codex will let Nobs wear terminator armor as an option.

Everyone is down on Ghazghkull being a Lord of War, but he does come with a stompa as a dedicated transport.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thundercloud posted:

Okay, for those of you with the Ork codex.

I've got 10 Nobz, 5 Black Reach and the Nobz boxed set. I want to put together and paint a decent combat unit (hopefully Warlords still make a unit of nobz troops).

What do you recommend I equip them with. I won't be getting the Ork codex until it is released, but I have time today to model and start painting a unit.

Current edition? A WAAUUGH banner (might not be in the new edition), a pair of klaws, and maybe a few 'uge choppas (though I would wait to see what the new codex does with them). You don't want to go too crazy with them; they are great because they put out a boatload of S5 attacks on the charge for fairly cheap.
Armour isn't a bad idea, neither is cybork body. I wouldn't take both. Though that's generally more abstract in terms of modeling a unit unless you want to go crazy with bitz/armor plates.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

krushgroove posted:

Has there been any movement or player-created rule to make Shadows in the Warp useful? Kind of a bummer that it's basically pointless right now.

It is useful? A blanket -3 leadership to psykers is good in general and it punishes heavy warp users (daemons, eldar) by making miscasts worse.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

krushgroove posted:

Yeah but it only affects miscasts in the SitW bubble, right? So it doesn't do as much as in 6th edition?

Yeah, but the same applied for the last two tyranid editions I believe. You would have to go back to 4th for army-wide shadows in the warp, and that would be easy to duplicate with houserules (discard all 6s rolled in the psyker phase).
If you field flyrants it isn't too hard to keep psykers in the bubble.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

Discarding 4s on enemy psychic tests would've been good and fluffy for 'Nids.
"Go ahead, roll the dice. If your WC2 power passes on two dice, you have a 33% chance of perils :smug:"

6s would be more fluffy; nids generally suppress normal warp activities hence the "shadow in the warp".

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

This. Also, it's a free pass for daemonfactory lists to keep on pumping out models with no penalty. Not like that list needs to be any stronger than it already is, after all.

Kind of... it drops the penalty to casting, but it gives both dispel and casting a 1/3 chance of success. If anything dropping 6s will even the odds out.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, 1850 6th ed tourney tomorrow, and I'm throwing together a crappy list:

code:
HQ
----
1 prime w/ bonerswords, toxin

ELITE
----
1 zoanthrope
1 zoanthrope

TROOP
----
20 hormies
20 hormies
30 termies (20 devourer, 10 spinefists)
1 tervigon w/ miasma cannon, dessicator swarm
5 warriors w/ deathspitters, 1 barbed strangler

FAST
----
30 gargoyles

HEAVY
----
2 carnifex w/ adrenal glands
1 exocrine
1 exocrine
I know one of players goes with eldar, so I might replace the exocrine with hive guard for ignoring cover.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

You really need a Flyrant in there, you have exactly zero ways to deal with air units so if you come across a French Breakfast list you'll get devoured. Also, you could get lucky and roll Warp Lance on the Flyrant if you come up against high AV anywhere. Primes are horrendously overpriced for a HQ that does a whole lot of nothing. Last codex they were niche for would allocation tricks with Carnifex broods but they aren't worth the cost anymore when Flyrants are the best HQ choice we have, hands down (and among the best units in the whole codex, with their BS buff and points decrease). Seriously, take at least one Flyrant.

I usually take a flyrant, but wanted to try something different. In the end I came in second (behind an Eldar player that I never played) with the following list:
code:
Flyrant w/ 2 devourers, hive commander
1 prime w/ boneswords

2 zoanthropes
3 hive guard
3 hive guard

30 termagaunts (20 devourers, 10 spinefists)
5 warriors w/ deathspitters, barbed strangler
1 tervigon

1 crone

1 exocrine
3 biovores
Did the usual outflank tervigon now that he can spit out models. Worked well, devourer gaunts are pretty nasty at 18".

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Rokkits on koptas are a free update? If so that is amazing.

Keep in mind this is the first 7th ed codex. If fantasy is any indication everything is going to be balanced fairly well? Hopefully?

The mek guns are looking pretty great right now. S8 plasma cannons, and some of the best anti-air artillery pieces. 2 traktors with 2 ammo runts and an extra grot is 69 points, heh.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JerryLee posted:

Has there ever really been a 40k computer game that was the one to play if you weren't already a fan of the license, though? As far as I'm aware there have been better/more mainstream RTSes and shooters at any time that the 40k ones have been on the market. As long as they keep their expectations in line, a 40k MOBA could defend its own niche.

I would argue Dawn of War I stood on it's own.

Darn of War II is great, but relic already has Company of Heroes out which was much better (IMO).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Do you really want to pay points for a one-shot weapon that only hits 1/3 of the time? Mainly because it's really easy to get twin-linked rokkits elsewhere in the codex.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Jesus, the new Ork codex just butchered pretty much every good unit they had. Is there a way to build a winning Ork list with the new codex?

Everything in the fast attack slot was decent, and is pretty much now cheaper. 5 koptas went from 225 points to 150 points.
The mek guns are incredible.
Trukks are fragile, but you can get some crazy charge distances out of them.

It wasn't codex: deffrollas.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Unless I get something wrong, the charge of boys in a trukk:

6" move + 6" disembark + 1" run + 2" charge + 2" from planks = 17" minimum charge on the WAUGGGH turn. On average you can get a 24" charge, not factoring in 'Er we go.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cataphract posted:

So what's people's thoughts with buggies vs koptas?

About the same, honestly.
The general best use is shooting, which they both are good at (or at least cheap enough for twin-linked rokkits). Both have the speed to hit what they want. Both are roughly the same on defense (koptas are slightly tougher in general, but have moral).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zark the Damned posted:

This is GW we are talking about, but technically as it stands this needs an FAQ. RAI he can take one, RAW he can't.

Buy a boy a tankhammer, upgrade him to a nob, trade it in for a klaw?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

I'm just very disappointed because I moved to Chicago, and was well super looking forward to being able to attend a Gamesday as I've never been. I don't even care if i played I just you know wanted to go and see all the cool models.

Just disappointed.
It also makes no sense.

If you are in the chicago area adepticon is better. Honestly gamesday isn't (wasn't?) that exciting to me.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

:stare: http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2014/06/28/mob-rule-will-one-of-the-worst-rules-in-40k/

Man, the Ork dex is a bloodbath idb. While I'm not super-excited about Mob Rule, I'm still pretty hopeful for this book. It does seem to rule Trukk Boyz right out unless I want to make a model with 1/2 the BS and I the same cost as a space marine by making them all 'Ard Boyz.

I think the Mob Rule complaints are overblown, much like Synapse for tyranids was when it came out. Oh man, remember when people loaded up on all the synapse they could because hormagaunts could lose half a unit to a LD <7 check?

Yeah, it can suck when you lose 6 guys. But the odds are you will put 2 wounds on the unit. It's better than running away and only regrouping on double ones. Or being swept in combat. The old mob rule is preferred, yes, but I doubt people have put in enough games to determine the actual impact of the new Mob Rule.

EDIT: Everything being basically LD7 does suck. Fear has a fairly limited impact (mostly against TMCs) as you were hitting those daemon princes on 5s anyways. Pinning tests suck, but a lot of things lost the pinning rule by default in 7th.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 1, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mmj posted:

You really think synapse isn't total crap? It's screwed me over at least a bit in every game I've played with the new codex. I'll wait and see on Mob Rule but synapse is awful and I hope orks don't have to deal with something like it. Synapse is just a pain in the rear end to work with.

I've never had to deal with synapse lose unless I leave my biovores in a piece of cover and don't move them up.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CyberLord XP posted:

I'm wondering if Power Klaws on Trukk boy Nobs is still worth it these days. I'm thinking jsut use a big Choppa. It lets them still be a threat to most vehicles. With a Big Choppa you're rolling 4 attacks on the charge for Str 7. This can still kill lots of vehicles with low rear armor. Leave the big bads to your dedicated tank killers.

Just spit ballin here, it's not like I hardy get chances to play these days.

Remember for every HQ you can take a mek with a buzzsaw. Not sure if it would be worth the cost, but having a hidden AP2 weapon might not be a bad idea.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Raphus C posted:

I have a list, not 100% on the points:

To add it all up.

24 10/10/10 hulls. 48 Rokkits, 15 TL Rokkits, 9 one-shot squigs that hit on a 2+. 26 points to add where you want. It will achieve gently caress all but your opponent will have a fun-time.

I know you are going with the "all rokkits all the time" theme, but I would say stick with big shootas on the boys/trukk. I would also trade out a unit or two of tankbusters for anything else.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

raverrn posted:

But that's no Claw. That's a unit that isn't gonna do poo poo to poo poo. TrukMANZ forever.

Trukkmanz are there to make sure your boardingboyz can tie up enemies on the WAAAAUGH turn.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

Don't say that too loud, the apologists will blame you for being a '40k conspiracist'.
"You can't honestly believe that GW only hate 'bad guys' when Codex: Dark Angels exists, right?"

I just wish people quantified statements like that because I play tyranids and it isn't a giant fail fest?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Elfface posted:

On reflection, I'd say the Ork codex, like the ones before it, is actually pretty fair and balanced. A number of different styles are supported, with equal effectiveness, and there are very few 'trap' units.

If it was in an entirely different game, there wouldn't be any problem. Instead, it's a horde army in a game where you can score victory points by destroying multiple units, and most other factions favour small, elite squads.

I think my problem is that I haven't embraced the boys before toys mantra. I always ALWAYS had something else in the troop slot (nobs, bikes, etc), and while it's a little less important in 7th I think the changes to the HQ slot means I want to try running 6 troops for the 6 HQ slots. 2 trukk boys and a mob of 20 shootas is just not enough anymore, even though fast-attack rokkits and mek guns got cheaper and better.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AbusePuppy posted:

Yeah, if you're playing with limited detachments then maybe you might have a reason to take it, but straight from the book it's really a "why bother?" kind of thing. One extra HQ and three extra troops? No thanks, I'll take a second Combined Arms detachment and get two HQs, six troops, and three of every other slot instead.

Oooooh, I think I get how the detachments are laid out now. Man that sucks; why even bother with the ork one? A handful of S3 hits that occur <50% of the time aren't worth it. I guess if you are playing a single detachment list you might go for it for the extra HQ/troops, but even then it seems like a weak gimmicky list. If an event limits the detachments I'm going to assume that it will limit the codex ones as well (otherwise all knights might be a spoiler).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man, just saw that Killa Kans are only S7 now. Goodbye trying to take down Landraiders and other Walkers.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DO IT TO IT posted:

At least if The Swarmlord was a Lord of War, they'd probably make him a little better. Right? Right?

Ghaz didn't change, so I doubt the swarmlord would. Though loosing the forced rerolls of invul saves and the random points increase of the swarmlord sucked...
It would probably suck now, but I still remember having a blast last edition by basing my list around the swarmlord, tons of poisoned hormies, and ravereners. Swarmlord is a buff machine and made hormies crazy good with rerolls to wound.

On the plus side I'm sure all the chapter masters will be lords of war. Suck it marines!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SRM posted:

Their legs are braced really far apart; they need 40s to stand on.

You can just fit the heels on a 25mm. It would look horrible since they would be hanging off of it all over the place, but technically doable.

Orks have wide stances.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

drgnvale posted:

Rules question: In the past, a unit that had markerlights could not benefit from them itself in the same turn, since all guns were fired together. Has this changed in 7th?

Weapons aren't fired together anymore. However, I believe that markerlight usage needs to be announced before a unit shoots so they still won't benefit (unless it's networked).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

krursk posted:

He did. He lost his +2 attacks on the charge, his 5++, and the ability to call his waaaaagh! whenever you wanted/needed that automatically gave you a 6" run.

He has a 6++ and the WAAAUUGH! is better. Overall not really changed, he's about the same as before.

EDIT: 6++ = 6+ FNP.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 5, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ignite Memories posted:

Without heavy armor, my nobs are gonna get taken apart in challenges before they can even swing. This is depressing to me.

The odds of a non-HQ character taking out a nob before the nob can swing are pretty low in the first place. A Marine has 3 attacks needing 4s and 4s... Any other melee HQ character worth his salt is going to take out a nob 4+ save or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

Hey man, you can field Tyranid Warriors! Those are good, right?

...right? :smith:

In kill team? Yes! A three wound model is powerful stuff.

You can take a hive guard + 3 warriors in kill team. I like giving master-crafted to the hive guard.

EDIT: Hive Guard + 4 warriors? I can't remember exactly what I took (other than a deathspitter with preferred enemy).

LordAba fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 7, 2014

• Locked thread