Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So I bought some Leman Russes (mind you, I haven't touched IG in almost 7 years) - and neither kit came with a dozer blade or the covers for the tracks... Are those not part of the new kits?

AFAIK when they re-cut the Leman Russ with all the Turret options they removed the accessory sprue. Same with the Demolisher version and the Hellhound. I think the only tank box which comes with one is the Chimera. They are sold separately on the site if you need them though - http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Imperial-Guard-Tank-Accessories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So... They're more expensive now, and come with less stuff?

Ugh. So I have to buy a dozen of these, too. Great.

Pretty much, though they do have all the turret and sponson options in the kit (original LRBT kit only had HB sides and a Las front). Guess it's a trade off.

If you only want Dozer Blades there are a bunch of 3rd party manufacturers who make those, e.g. Puppetswar http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=71 - however they're not that much cheaper than just getting the sprues.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

ijyt posted:

But in otha news, its da new stompa.

I have mixed feelings about this. While it's good to have a new big kit (Knight sized ish?) it does kinda look like a box with a spindly little gun arm stuck to the side, with admittedly a cool looking gatling gatling gun. Would have been nicer to have a beefier arm. Also, I'm not sure if it's a walker, there's a possibility there's some track units hidden behind the squad of Boyz standing in front of it. Will have to wait for better pics before converting my own one.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this crazy dude and his tree buddies turn out.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Post 9-11 User posted:

That's a leg underneath the gatling gun, and the model is about half the size of a Knight. The Stompa is Knight sized.

Looking forward to rolling D6+D3 shots all day er' day.

Nah, Stompas are much bigger than Knights. If not in height alone, then definitely in overall bulk. Comparison pic between most of the current big things:

Also the 'legs' could just be some hydraulic suspension things like on the Khorne tank robot, the squad in front is disguising it's feet/tracks. Tracks would make more sense given the front armour plating is shaped like a giant plough for ramming. Then again, GW stopped making sense a long time ago.

As a rough estimate (not getting into pixel counting or anything) it looks to be about 3 and a half Ork Boyz tall (to the top of the rokkits), which puts it a little shorter than a Riptide. I could easily be wrong though. In any case, I hope more pics come out soon for it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Dakka has some more pics of the Gorkanaut:

Looks like it most likely is a walker, with giant clown feet. The alternate build is the Morkanaut (of course!), it can also transport 6 guys and the front ram opens up. It's looking a lot better from these pics.

There was another pic on Dakka which shows that Grot Riggers are still in the new book but have been changed to give IWND to the vehicle.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Liking the Morkanaut, especially the fact you can swap the arms over. New MANZ looking good too, hopefully they'll be better prices than the current Finecast ones (fat chance).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Hmm... new Marine FAQ gives a bit of a buff to Pedro. http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer-40k/7th-faq/Space_Marines_v1.0_May14.pdf

Unbound list of Pedro and a ton of Sternguard, secure them objectives!

I am also hating the Ork FAQ for Weirdboyz, thankfully it's not valid for long with the book around the corner.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Make sure you name the Nob Mr Bubbles and give him a syringe wielding Grot for company.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Re Ork stuff, the next release is Big Mek Gunz and the new Shokk Attack Gun.

http://imgur.com/a/l9JwT

The guns look interesting, I like the new max unit size. Not too keen on the Shokk Attack guy though, looks too weedy, like they took the previous metal one and shrunk the mek slightly.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

These are only 10 pounds each and really only need a dip into the bitz box for spikes and banners to move them close enough to GW orks in style. A lot more affordable. Between them and Kromlech you should easily get enough high quality orks on the field for a whole lot less money.

I really dislike the look of Mantic's Ork knock-offs.

You've also managed to point out one of the few instances where GW is actually cheaper than Mantic too, the Troops Booster.

Tenner for 5 guys from Mantic, or £18 for 11 guys from GW (you need a spare base for the 11th guy)

Alternately £6 for 4 really basic chumps (still better than Mantic's sculpts)

Not excusing GW prices, just a note that Mantic aren't always the best value.

On the other hand Kromlech just released these guys and I'm finding it hard to resist picking them up, especially after my current Tankbuster squad did well in my last game (blew up 4 tanks and turned defeat into draw by getting linebreaker on turn 7).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'd totally be up for a WHW Goonmeet late September. The new Ork book may even be out by then!

Also the real answer is a gorkanaut playing a squiggoth like a guitar while surfing on a thunderhawk as it smashes into a lord of skulls' face.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Hmm... 37 is certainly an unusual points cost with GW's usual love of multiples of 5.

I'm wondering if 'Ardcase will add to the armour values, 11 front seems low for a looted Russ.

I am ensaddened at the loss of the Boom Gun, though maybe this means Killcannons are getting buffed. I also note that Killcannon doesn't make it smaller.

10pt Deffrolla is nice but makes me worried about how much it's been nerfed.

Also, does 'White Dwarf Exclusive' mean that it's not actually going to be in the Codex? I don't recall that stamp being on the other previews.

For the other minis, I like the Mek, but am undecided on the Dok. I like some of the ideas but find the overall look disjointed and messy in a not-good way. Also GW needs telling that sword legs are never a good idea.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

But it has a high strength and low AP so it must be good, right? - every GW designer.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

Can Looted Wagons be taken in squads?

Pretty sure they're 1 per unit. Also can only be taken in Unbound lists as it looks like the WD rules don't mention where they fit in the Force Org chart, unless I missed it.

The FW Dreadmob list allows Loota squads to take them as DTs though, which is kinda neat.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

The White Dwarf entry has the Heavy Support symbol in the upper left corner.

I stand corrected!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Did I hear right that you can now have a SAG bike mek? And here I thought conversion beam bikers could be fun.

Yup, you sure can!

I noticed something annoying. It looks like Tankbusta Nobz can't actually take Power Klaws any more.

The section for Melee weapons says that models can exchange a Melee weapon for a PK/Big Choppa, but a Tankbusta Nob doesn't have a melee weapon to exchange! (unless their Tankbusta Bombs count maybe?)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

There's only two weapons in that section, and the tankbustas entry clearly states that he can take weapons from that section. They wouldn't even write that if he wasn't supposed to get them.

This is GW we are talking about, but technically as it stands this needs an FAQ. RAI he can take one, RAW he can't.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ghost Hand posted:

My money is on an Apocalypse supplement book.

I'm thinking the same. Could also be a Waaagh Ghazghkull ref, the Ork logo at the end is a hybrid of Bad Moons and Goffs which fits with the Ghazghkull/Nazdreg alliance.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There's also this model of Warboss Grukk that's not mentioned:

Nah, that's a random Bad Moon boss and Ghaz. Grukk is a Goff.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Klaw is usually the best option. Big Choppa might be worth it if you're fighting Guard or another army with 5+ or worse saves to make the most of the Boss's initiative and to keep the cost down, but this is more of a gimmick thing

Re the Stormclaw set, literally the only mini in that which interests me is the new Warboss. I already have plenty of the other Orks and don't need a 3rd Marine army, even if they are Space Hagars. I really hope the boss gets releases separately and isn't another GW retardo limited edition plastic man.

Locomotive breath posted:

Hey thread, I've got a bit of a question in regards to some rules, specifically about Psychic Shriek. I'm wondering, do you have to roll to hit with it? The entry for witchfires implies that you do, but the lack of a profile on the power itself makes me wonder if it's just an effect that happens. I did some googling and didn't really find anything conclusive. Any thoughts on how to play this?

Yup, you need to roll to hit, it just has a weird to wound mechanic. Witchfire powers need to roll to hit, this has no exception to that.

Means that 'eadbutt is objectively the worst Waargh power.

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 7, 2014

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Nope, walkers fire everything at full BS regardless of whether they moved. Exception is they can't shoot if they run, same as infantry.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

ineptmule posted:

So... am I missing something, or is the Ork Horde formation technically pointless?

You get a new FOC, but you lose Objective Secured.

You lose Objective Secured if you go Unbound anyway, so what's the point?

You get unreliable Hammer of Wrath on your big units.

Yeah, not remotely worth losing ObSec for...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Since army posting is the in thing at the moment I finally got around to taking pics of my old timey Salamanders! Beware terrible photography and painting:

Assault Squad O'Jax, 'cause Salamaders have these too. Needs expanding to 10 but I'm having trouble finding more RT era Assault Marines for non-insane prices.

Captain Jaxxon's Command Squad. Colloquially known as the Jaxxon Five.

Captain Jaxxon and his command staff, inc. a spare Apothecary I had.

Devastator Squad Lokan, all missiles, all the time! Needs some more bodies when I get around to assembling more beakies.

Dreadnought Junior, with his Plasma Cannon (Missile Launcher with Plasma rockets 'cause this weapon fit is no longer technically legal).

Dreadnought Slugger, with Autocannon and Tracer Rounds (twin liked). Dunno what the gun originally was but this guy arrived like this.

Ironclad Dreadnought Ironhide, with multifunction Grenade Launcher (meltagun / ironclad launcher) and paired combat weapons (dual powerfist = rending attack aka chainfist).

Foecrusher, a classic Land Raider, usually carts around the Terminators.

Metal Storm, Captain Jaxxon's command Razorback with high-rof-cycling flechette launchers (twin linked heavy bolters).

Scourge of Arex, retrofitted Rhino with a Tarantula stuck on top due to a nasty cityfighting campaign. Multimeltas slightly damaged and locked in wide area saturation mode (twin heavy flamers). Often assigned to the Devastators.

Old Reliable, this Rhino's been in more wars than you've had hot meals. Takes a pounding and still keeps going, and wears ancient battle damage with pride. Combat taxi for one of the Tactical Squads.

Pyrus is a relative noobie as far as Rhinos go, with a machine spirit that yearns for close up action. This guy carts around the Assault Marines.

Scout Squad Te'Kan, stealth experts. Heck, they can infiltrate into battle while wielding a gun twice the size of a guardsman, that takes skill!

Tactical Squad Be'lal, focussed more towards popping heavy infantry and light vehicles with their Multimelta and Plasma gun.

Tactical Squad Jecom on the other hand is more anti-infantry with a Flamer and Heavy Bolter. Also kicks more rear end in general than Squal Be'lal and has seen more action.

Terminator Squad Akmad, pretty much ride around in Foecrusher and murder a squad a turn once they get out. Have fancy unique heraldry as befits the elite veterans.

Librariant Vex'ar plus a few more Terminators, who mostly just get swapped into Akmad's guys if I want to use a different big gun. Not decided on what to do with the Prototype dude yet.

Big Shot is a gambler and either wins big (murdering everything dangerous by itself) or loses big (gets popped in the first turn) without fail.

I also took a couple more pics of last month's Oath GK. Not Salamanders, but fit the Old Timey theme. I have some more =I= stuff to go with them which needs painting up.

Grey Knight Squad Ephraim kind of tag along with the Salamanders and try to outshine them with their Matt 'Mary Sue' Ward powers.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

Zark, I love your army and everything about it. God drat dude. Even the way you write about it evokes the RT era fluff where Marines were just normal dudes in power armor instead of hyper-competent warrior monks.

Cheers! Let me know if you're ever in the UK with your dudes and we'll arrange a retro-off or something.

Also of interest I finished off my first batch of Diggas and big guy. They count as Chaos Cultists and a Daemon Prince allied to my Orks:

During deployment and post battle army shot (I need to spend some time taking better pics of the Orks):

Sadly they didn't achieve anything in the game besides being dead by turn 2. Partly because I hosed up and didn't realise I could Jink even when gliding with flyboy (first go at 7th), and partly cause my opponent was Guard with a loving Wyvern wiping out a squad a turn. Forging the narrative!

---

Loving that scenery Germ, I hope the KS does well (I see you hit target already). Will check with my housemates whether we need any more area terrain, but we already have a bunch of woods. Do the flat inserts work well with the Citadel woods? If so I may see about ordering some of those.

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 18, 2014

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

New preorders are up on GW. Liking the new box art on DV.

Also the city boards - http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Realm-of-Battle-Sector-Imperialis

Was interested until I noticed they give you 3 copies each of 2 designs. gently caress that, if you're charging £200 then put 6 unique designs in!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Dug out my 4th ed rulebook, the 'experience' rules are pretty basic but kinda neat. Essentially each unit you take gains experience during battles, and can lose experience if they take too many casualties or you switch around their equipment.

For every 1000xp a unit has, you roll on on a chart which gives you a once per battle re-roll, e.g. a unit of infantry may be able to re-roll a Morale check, or all failed to-wound rolls in a single phase. Also if you earn enough XP the unit changes to an Elites choice.

Somewhat laughably there's mention in there that various Codexes will contain additional rules for those armies gaining experience for their own agendas, though I don't remember this featuring in any of the books (except maybe Daemonhunters?).

There's also a ton of cool conversions in that section to represent seasoned campaigners!

Pretty sure it'd be simple to adapt the rules for whatever edition you're using, just needs a little rebalancing and changing some redundant options (e.g. the Vehicle skill which allows you to force an opponent to re-roll on the glancing hits table).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

I thought of using the old Imperial Robots as Centurions, since Eggnoughts and metal Dreadnoughts could cause confusion for people playing against my retro Ultramarines. I still think it's a pretty good counts-as though.

Been wanting to do that for a while but can never find non-absurd eBay prices :(

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

Alternately, I could convert something that is a little less conventional. There was an old Whirlwind conversion in Rogue Trader that I could draw from instead:

You should totally do the conversion and join the Whirlwind Bros

but for the tournament maybe make the turret separate and put something together based on the original Epic Hunter whirlwind variants

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

So far all the army specific objectives have replaced 11 to 16 - if you're using one deck for both players, just have them replace draws of those numbers with their own ones, rather than shuffling in each player's special ones (which have different card backs anyway).

RAW each player is meant to use their own deck, but we found at the meet up that one deck between players works about as well.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Apparently I misremembered, it's not explicit in the rules, but it's heavily implied.

Big book p 136 (not sure if the small book has the same numbers), under Generating Tactical Objectives. Basically it says that re-rolling duplicate objectives is on a per-player basis, i.e. reroll if you already rolled that objective, you and your opponent are allowed to generate the same objectives (so you can both get Kingslayer etc.).

The only bit about cards (small box on the next page) says if you have a deck you can shuffle and draw instead of rolling on the chart.

The implication is that each player should use their own deck so you can both draw the same objectives, since if you use the same deck there's no way of getting the same objective as your opponent.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ditto. I'm still using my original blood red and bleached bone from back in the 90s when Citadel used those hexagonal pots. While the latest pots aren't terrible, they still have nothing on the originals.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Cataphract posted:

Big ups to Scowny and Zark the Damned for coming to my gig tonight. Additional ups for the big pile of Sisters of Battle from Zark... thanks brother.

No probs man, cheers for an awesome show. Hope you get some good use out of those sisters!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Liking the new 'Doom' - wonder if the fluff will be something like 'Hive mind realised the Doom was pretty boss, so made a bunch more of them'.

My favourite unit has to be Marine Dreadnoughts, the idea of 'this guy kicked so much rear end in life we're rewarding him by shoving him in a giant metal box so he can fight forever' screams 40k to me. Shame about the rules.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

PeterWeller posted:

Or is there some relic KFF I forgot about?

This. The Ghazghkull book has replacement relics, one of which is a 4++ KFF.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

Does anyone have the old bike banners? I need 3 or 4:

Do you still need these? I have a bunch spare you're welcome to, PM me if you want em.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Post 9-11 User posted:

Those are still in production as pewter figures. I don't remember the name of the company.

As mentioned a couple pages back, EM4 still make them in plastic - http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Science_Fiction.html

I have a couple dozen knocking around myself, my flgs (long closed sadly) had a sale on and I thought they looked neat so picked up a bunch for a fiver.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Cataphract posted:

Man, I totally missed out on posting a final photo of my finished orks up on the IC forum... Nevertheless goons, here's 3,000 points of orks that I painted all over the last year. I'm pretty proud of myself.

I've still got a few more units that I want to add; some bikes and like 50 more boyz... but for now I'm calling the job done.

Loving these guys, you done good!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

CyberLord XP posted:

I'm trying out SKYBOSS WINGNUTZ' AIR ARMADA in my Ork army and I have a question. When a formation comes in from reserves do you roll once for the whole formation or once for each unit? I thought it was for each unit but random store guy swears the formation comes in all at once.

Anyway, tabled a guy in turn 5 with very shooty Orks and the Air Armada against foot slogging CSM with one demon prince. It was a fun game but 100% one-sided. I think I lost ten Orks in the whole game.

Pretty sure it's each unit unless that specific formation has a rule that says otherwise (iirc one of the Stormtalon ones has an escort rule that works like this).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Crossposted from the Oath thread. I made a thing!

Zark the Damned posted:

Shankfist, the Eversork. Semi Jurnal'd with the gory stabber. Converted from Snikrot, 'Counts As' an Eversor Assassin.

Not sure if he'll ever get used in game, but it's nice to have the option. Don't know if I'll convert some more and complete the set though :orks101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

BlackIronHeart posted:

Jesus gently caress, merry Christmas to me. My coworker just brought in 'some old figs' he had in his basement and it's all RT era SM, CSM and Eldar. I've never even seen an RT era Chaos Terminator or Harlequin Jetbike before, this poo poo is nuts.

I may be interested in some of the SM stuff if you're looking to offload em. My Sallies have been doing me proud and deserve some reinforcements :)

• Locked thread