Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

So...thinking about actually getting back into 40K after being away for years. Started in Rogue Trader and played till 3rd. Been listening to podcasts, following this thread, etc. for the last couple years and it seems like GW is maybe getting their act together in a few ways. My only hobby work in the last 15 years has been getting into Kings of War and X-Wing a little, just playing a bit with my sons. Thinking of getting a couple units to introduce my sons to the game and maybe play at a FLGS. Figure I should wait till 8th since that seems likely this year (yes?). Might still grab a few models to start working on till then unless people think there is a good chance that we are going to get some amazing new basic Tac Marines or Orkz.

Is getting in now total madness for a former big fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

What do you guys recommend for someone looking to add a space marine dreadnought to a slowly growing Dark Angels army built from Dark Vengeance? I have zero interest in magnetizing the arms myself but would love to have one with magnetized arms. Am I best off watching eBay or is there someone that does that on commission? Thanks!

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Dreadnought weapons don't really need to be magnetized. Just don't glue them in, you can slide them out and they stay in place without glue.

Oh wow ok. Is that for the standard plastic one? Or for most modern ones? I am just getting in after being out since 3rd I am used to lots of metal kits and limited options.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

I picked up Dark Vengeance and was planning on building up CSM and DA armies to 1000 points. Easy for DA, but I am hesitant on Chaos because some of the sculpts are freaking ancient. I started in RT and played till 3rd so some of those sculpts are quite familar. Read a good article on Frontline I think that laid out just how old some are. Anyways, was going to add some classic staples like basic CSMs and Berserkers but I could see both of those getting updates soon. Considering using some Heresy World Eaters instead. Thoughts?

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

goose willis posted:

Dark Vengeance comes with a nice unit of terminators and considering that Chaos terminators are just normal terminators with spikes on them you might as well just convert them

I know some people have made that work but I built them as DA so I would have 2 small starter armies for small starter games.

I will probably wait on the CSMs and berserkers and just add a few things I like that probably won't be a updated anytime soon.

Also tempted to leave the CSMs as is and grab an Overkill box to do GSC. Just weird that GW did not include a Chaos worshipping GSC option since that is how they were introduced. That was one of my favorite WD issues back in the day. I love the idea of a cult not really understanding the Tyranid conmection and instead worshipping Chaos.

VikingSkull posted:

If you play them as the Crimson Slaughter, you can add a unit of Raptors, a unit of Terminators and a Chaos Land Raider to the DV units you'll have the Crimson Slaughter formation "Kranon's Helguard". Then just buy a few units of CSM or Possessed as your troops and you can have the base of a CAD with some nifty choices, and not have too many ancient sculpts.

e- also you can kitbash some CSM up for them with more "recent" armor as they turned to Chaos well after the Heresy.

Yeah that is not a terrible option but I would feel dirty with the whole formation forcing an expensive land raider putchase.

Soldier o Fortune fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 5, 2017

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Recently picked up this bad boy:
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-NO/Khorne-World-Eaters-Terminator-Lord-Zhufor

Really like both head options. Thinking I might try to magnetize them. Read lots of arm magnet tutorials but did not see as much on heads or resin. Is this idea madness or maybe doable?

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

With so many armies and kits being rather old, what do people think will be the focus armies for 8th start set and initial releases? Assumimg of course that all current armies make the leap to 8th. I figure the starter will be Marines vs. someone just like every other set. I would love to see new Orks or new Chaos since their basic troops are a bit old. I could also see new Eldar since some of those kits are old, plus the new united Eldar faction being a thing. My guess is Ultramarines vs. Chaos simce that is the main story push. Woukd love to see a 'back to Rogue Trader' Crimson Fists vs Orks set...

For armies, I would love for Orks, Guard, and Nids to get early attention with models amd rules since those 3 armies seem to be rather neglected.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Working on an urban terrain set. Went to a local GW for the first time in probably 2 decades and saw all the new Sector Mech stuff in stock, really hard to resist grabbing it.

Been looking to add some civilian vechicles as scatter terrain or scenario OBJs. Seen a few threads on the interwebs discussing good options but some of that was out of date. Any recommendations? Minus all the boob soldiers, wargamexclusive seems like option...but a but pricey.

https://wargameexclusive.com/product-category/imperial-soldiers/

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

OhDearGodNo posted:

Since I ended up as the Virtue for NOVA it gave me an excuse to work on my slow-grow beastmen R&H army.

I have about 21 assembled and ready for green stuff, I'm planning to finish with 60 Gors, some special weapon options, and Bestigors for my Veterans. I'm a bit hesitant to do my usual "flamers for all special weapon types" with 8th edition possibly removing templates however.

These are great. I made an Abhuman regiment back in 2nd / 3rd mostly using plastic guard with plastic skaven heads, with a few metal beastmen as leaders, plus Minotaurs and other large monsters as Ogryns. Pretty good at the time, but nowhere near cool as this. Please post more as you work on them!

If we get new Guard in 8th I may do an update of my old Guard bSed on RT era: http://orks.dylangould.com/images/WD_archive/imperials.jpg

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

Puppetswar

I was considering that! Good multipurpose kits. Have you used it? I really like this one and the ones I posted but the price is
a bit higher than I would like.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Did anyone get a physical White Dwarf yet? I see the digital version has hit, but I remember rumors that the June edition might have an included Primaris or rules insert or something. Haven't seen any confirmation of that so assuming it is BS.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

I picked one up. No pack-in, but I wouldn't rule that out for next month. The image that started that was of a single bigly marine on sprue.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Might grab a physical copy anyways. Mostly read them on my wife's iPad because I don't see an easy PC option (is there? I have a Surfce Pro). Getting ready for an easy 6 month deployment so won't have her iPad but still want to keep up on the mag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Megaspam posted:

Edit forces -> Add a force -> Select your existing force as the parent -> Select the Astra Telepathica

I think that just adds another detachment but does not allow you to put selections into the existing detachment. There was a draft version out that had all the non-Marine imperial factions in the Guard one to get around this. Not sure why the new 'final' version did not. It will need to be fixed to make the major faction keywords work as intended.

Edit: figured it out. You actually don't select your existing force, you select the other option, as far as I can tell. Then there will be a seperate detachment listed with just options from the secondary force, but they count towards the force org of the first force. Confusing but it works.

Soldier o Fortune fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 16, 2017

• Locked thread