Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

I wonder what Bell of Lost Souls thinks of the Ork Codex.....

:homebrew:40K: TRUTH SQUAD: Ork Codex Rules!:homebrew:

Am I reading this correctly, there's no more cyborks at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Sulecrist posted:

Painted this test model for my Chaos Kill Team today. Kinda went overboard on technical paints. It's a little brighter in person.

This looks pretty amazing!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The eye-patch is, presumably, standing in for the half-mask that character had in later versions.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The process I've always used for FW resin is this:

Set a pot of water on the stove at low heat. You don't need it boiling, just hot to the touch. You'll also want a bowl of cold water at hand.

Submerge the piece in hot water for 5 seconds and then attempt to gently, slowly, bend it. If it bends but gradually goes back to its original shape, heat it up again.

Once it stays in the shape/position you want, submerge it in the cold water for half a minute. That should be all you need to do.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Throb Robinson posted:

Im interested in building a Terminus Ultra Land Raider for my Ultramarines but it seems GW doesn't sell the conversion kit anymore. Anyone know anywhere I could buy a predator side sponson without having to buy the whole predator?

You can always try eBay. Sellers like Hoard O' Bits will part out kits though you'll pay a premium.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Definitely not, that's just how autocannons looked in 2nd/3rd ed.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Hollismason posted:

That's a weird knight there though, I've never seen that before although I think it's a custom build maybe?

That looks like an old Armorcast knight with maybe a custom head.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

What's a good 1000 point Ork list for an escalation league look like these days?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Cataphract posted:

i use the back to base ix magnetic bases

I just did a group order of these after getting a few (attached to Falcons/Wave Serpents) from another goon and they are amazing.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I just built a Sicaran Battletank, and I just gave up on putting the bottom on entirely because it doesn't fit at all.

Jewel-like objects of magic and wonder!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, it's not a big thing but some of the FW stuff is just such a pain in the balls. I'm putting together an older Storm Eagle kit and there's warpage along both axes in the side pieces, mold slippage on smaller stuff, just bad poo poo. It's going to be the sturdiest model I ever built but probably not the prettiest. This thread on Dakka is a godsend.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Which is why we... mostly use synthetic cocaine from china :confuoot:

Talking about fake stuff from China might get you probated, fair warning. :filez:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Sir Teabag posted:

What sorts of magnets did you use for this? And where did you get them or order them from? I'm in Canada (Ottawa), and don't know where I would look for magnets appropriate for this other than like... Lee Valley Tools maybe?

You'll want to use neodymium rare earth magnets. Lee Valley Tools site says they have them but the smallest is 1/4", which is much too big. If you have a hobby store around you, they'll likely have some small enough to work.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

krushgroove posted:

But I have a question for anyone who's built a Warhound titan, I know there are a couple of folks here - about how long did it take to assemble, and how many spots can you magnetize for transport or movement?

poo poo, I totally missed this post and I'm actually rebuilding a Warhound right now. In terms of magnetizing, the cockpit is pretty easy to do and I've magnetized the void shield projectors. You can't really magnetize much more than that. If you want to make the arms removable, you're going to want to use nuts and bolts. Here's a helpful blog post about how to do that.

As for time? This is going to take at least two weeks to assemble and at least that long to paint/weather/base. I'm pinning the poo poo out of this thing and it's not going to ever come apart again unless someone takes power tools to it.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

krushgroove posted:

See above on why I'm asking for time estimates - that blog link is really handy and I think my buddy won't want to do that much to it. Although if I get one I'd definitely want it swappable/moveable! So when you say 'two weeks' is that working 2-5 hours a night for a couple of weeks, like a typical day job worker? So probably 30 hours, average of 3 or so hours a night for 10 days (assuming you want to take a break from it)?

I've got a strange work schedule where I only work 7 days of every 14 and I can't do any work on the model on the days I work. So I'm spending 4 or 5 hours on my days off working on this thing. I'm also converting all the hydraulics to styrene or brass rod as they were cut-down for the original pose and that pose isn't going to be replicated. Still, 30 hours is probably a low estimate because of all the aforementioned pinning. This isn't necessarily a complicated model, it's just very, very big.

It's going to stand at least 10-13" inches tall when you're done so as to transportation, you'll have to let me know how you crack that.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

If you can, you want resin between a magnet and whatever it's going to pull (which could be another magnet or just something magnetic). The top covers of the shoulders are a good place for this sort of thing as you could hide a thin but wide disc magnet underneath them.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Lord Twisted posted:

I've just posted up another battle report in the narrative campaign me and some friends are doing - Inquisitor Ahn Senior tries to break through an Ork + Night Lord ambush in the desert!

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/ahnchronicles

The next battle will be soon, and will be a massed Imperial Guard infantry list probably versus a Green Tide. Watch this space...

Make sure you request adequate time off work and have regularly scheduled supply drops while you move all your models.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Anyone have any tutorials for painting large vehicles? I'm trying to practice some before the Solar Auxilia releases and it feels like I just don't 'get' painting anything bigger than a Land Raider.

If you don't have an airbrush, Montana Gold and Liquitex both make acrylic spray paints in a rainbow of colors. Tanks look good even with a two-tone camo scheme so you could prime, lay down tone 1, and then use masking tape/masking liquid to create your camo pattern and then hit it with tone 2.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

SRM posted:

Even before I was so deeply invested in retro poo poo, I still dug these models:

I also really like that they brought the berets back with the new plastics. I was checking out my friend's the other day and that's a wonderful kit.

Ha! I loved those guys but I sold all of the normal dudes to a buddy who turned them into vets. I only kept the sergeant and a Heavy Bolter guy.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

HiveCommander posted:

Yeah, and it led to a strange time paradox where all the now-leaderless Orks he took with him had no idea what they were doing in the first place.
I liked the old, silly fluff like that. Is there still stuff like it in the new Ork codex?

There's some fluff about a tribe of Snakebites that are seeding planets with some fast-spawning strain of Tyranid so they can always have a proper fight. Does that count?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Does anyone know of a bitz store that has Eldar Falcon or Dark Eldar Venom clear canopies in stock? I need at least two due to loss and breakage, but I can't find them anywhere

http://bitzbarn.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_33_388&products_id=5948

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

What an rear end pain. Do Vypers and Falcons share the same cockpit glass? If so...

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Gridlocked posted:

I was wondering if I get some pictures of the collection would people be able to tell me what they think is a good price to pay for them?

Can't hurt!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Sulecrist posted:

Why do Space Marine sniper rifles have these big thick cables coming out of them? Don't they shoot bullets or needles or something?

In the old fluff, sniper rifles worked by using a high-power laser to punch a hole through armor a split-second before the poisoned dart fired by the rifle hit the target. How does that work? gently caress if I know but that's what was written!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Sounds like your Guardsmen did exactly what Guardsmen are meant to do: Die in droves.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The various wheel conversion kits from Zinge or Blood and Skulls make it look not-half-bad though. They look like MRAPs with some actual wheels instead of those silly tracks.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

BuffaloChicken posted:

I rarely post when I'm not contributing photos of my own minis, but those are bomb as heck and I hope you keep painting/sharing more. Those Warriors were my favorites when I started Tyranids, and I think they still look pretty good - I converted mine to play as Tyranid Primes. Also, please get with SRM and have a battle against his equally dope Ultramarines/IG.

To make up for my personal lack of paint progress photos, my brother is almost done painting the Squiggoth I converted for him (and posted WIP photos of in this thread).

I'm really happy with how it's come together under his brush skills! I have lots of WIP Squat stuff to share soon, as well as some Eldar and Tyranids, but I've been lazy with photos recently.

This looks fantastic!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Cataphract posted:

If you're not using a pair of small blast templates to do your multiple blasts you're causing yourself unnecessary grief.

Also, remember that second edition template with the split pins?

That's the Thudd Gun template! You used D12's with that thing! :D

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Only one model per unit can throw a grenade, yes.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

There's an important distinction there actually, unless I'm missing something that's been FAQ'ed. Krak grenades are only useful against vehicles, gun emplacements and MCs during Assault, but can be thrown at any unit during Shooting.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Are fully mechanized Speed Freek lists with an equal split of Trukks and Wagons just a bad idea with 7th Edition?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Master Twig posted:

Yeah, Eldar and Tau sure seem to just automatically get a lot of abilities that other armies have to pass a test in order to get.

Playing against Tau is like watching someone play a different edition of the game against your army. 'No, I've got a special rule for that' is the most common thing I hear from my Tau opponent.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I do love seeing a lot of resin on the table. Nice haul!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Leo Showers posted:

So in non boob-related news, this is a thing in which I will do between semesters.

*awesome poo poo*

Ooooo. I'm envious. Here's a strange question about that kit that you may not have an answer for (yet): How tall is a Marauder model? Like, from the tabletop to the top of the rudder, if it's on its landing gear?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

They'll get a new flyer called the Blood Eagle which is equipped with Carmine Cannons, Blood-Rage Rockets, Las-Blood-ers and can carry up to 6 Blood Bloods.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

They're using Mars Alpha pattern hulls with Ryza turrets.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Leo Showers posted:

I really have to say that to anyone considering buying Forgeworld, please consider it carefully. I've had a real love-hate relationship with it and Forge World, mostly due to the shithouse quality control they seem to have. The newer kits look tons better, but generally speaking FW things require some decent skills with different saws, files, sandpaper, knives, etc. in order to even think about assembly. The upside to the high challenge is that there usually are good deals on eBay for things which people give up on, like the Thunderbolt I bought for like a bit over 1/2 the price of a new one (and it's not even that badly done).

A general note here, beware of good deals on eBay if the seller is based in Russia, China or eastern Europe. They're often recasts and their resin quality can be drastically different from authentic FW stuff,

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Seriously. Put together an Ork Stompa and then try a FW Warhound and you'll be wondering just how any longtime FW customer keeps their sanity.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Re: 32mm chat, it's at least a boon that most fender washer are 1.25" and thus interchangable with a 32mm base. You could probably buy 100 fender washers for $10 or less. I'm... Well, I'm considering it since I play Orks and thus wouldn't mind that little extra oomph in getting into CC but I own something like 225 infantry models for that army. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Different rules for different editions, maybe? What differences are there?

• Locked thread