Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
I love the new title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Since it's the top of a new page I'll add some pictures of the Eldar army I am having painted for my wife!

Sulecrist posted:

Hey, I LOVE your podcast. It's essentially what brought me back to this game after years away.

Glad you like it! Thanks for the compliment.

Btw - we are giving away a Forge World Iron Father on our Facebook page if you haven't looked....

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 23, 2014

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Fix posted:

Yeah, when it's your turn you roll a single D6. Both sides get that many dice in their pool, plus one for every mastery level in your army. Then when you want to cast, you declare your target, pull out as many dice from your pool as you want, and roll them. For every 4+ you roll, you get a Warp Charge. If you have enough Warp Charges for the level of the spell, it goes off. If you didn't get enough Warp Charges, it fails. If you roll 2 or more 6's it passes.

Deny the witch cancels out one warp charge for every 6 rolled. +1 on that roll for psykers, psykers with higher mastery, and adamantium will. If you deny them equal to or more warp charges than they successfully harness (so if you deny 2 out of 3 or 2 out of 4), the psychic power is nullified.

Note that now you can Deny the Witch on abilities that are not targeting you. You just don't get those bonuses to the roll (so always on a 6). So yes, you can deny them their blessings.

Also, you cannot cast psychic abilities on a unit in a transport. Even if you are doing it to your own from inside. You can only cast witchfire from inside, and only through a fire point.

Psychic Phase sounds fun as Hell. Very different from what I am used to (I have never played Fantasy though I hear it has some similarities).

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

urgh, I just got there. That feels like such a step backwards... when they introduced the concept of "only troops can score" in 5th (or was it 4th) it was a bloody great move and improved the game so much.

In actual play I have found troops to be even more precious now. Being able to own an objective when others are on it is golden.

It also eliminates the whole "Just kill off all his troops" tactic. (which I personally found kind of dull).

It may not appeal to everyone - but in the two games I've played so far, those troops units were awesome.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 26, 2014

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

HiveCommander posted:

It still works, just not very well. Any psykers, Bro-hoods and psychic pilots are at -3 leadership in general, so it does nothing to stop psychic powers going off, it just makes 2/3 of the perils chart more likely to happen. Not in line with the established Tyranid fluff at all, but it wouldn't be the first time their own background material has been ignored in the rule-making process.

Would love if they FAQd it that any doubles causes a Perils in Shadows :P But that might be wishlisting too much.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

jng2058 posted:

Swarms can score now. Everything can score now. Park a Basilisk on that Objective that you hid behind the hill and rack in the points at the end of the game. The only thing that can override that is that your Troops in a "Battle-Forged" (ie not Unbound) get the Objective Secured rule (formerly owned exclusively by Tyrannid Gargoyles) and get priority over non-Battle Forged Troops if multiple units are within 3" of an Objective.

Unless it specifically states it is NEVER scoring. (Not sure if scarabs say this or not).

But for example - Death Company say that I believe. So they are still not scoring.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

DJ Dizzy posted:

So, FAQS are out. Time to buy 500 boxes of horros :shepicide: Atleast runic weapons still stop psychic powers on a +4

Remember what happened to all those people that bought flamers after the WD rules came out, before you run out and buy a ton of horrors...

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

panascope posted:

Heldrakes are pretty junk now. One attack on Vector Strike just isn't enough to be reliable damage against vehicles and the Baleflamer alone doesn't really justify 170 points.

They are FAR from junk. They are appropriate now. And I play them. I am happy to see them brought down a bit. Now people will stop complaining about them.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Lungboy posted:

Don't be daft! :) People still bitch about Draigo being OP, when he wasn't even OP to begin with.

heh I know - but at least I can always point to it now and say "What are you talking about!? I got nerfed!"

Thundercracker posted:

Exactly. When the original FAQ came out it was like "Wow, thanks even though we never asked for this"

I originally figured it would be ruled as a turret or 180 degree weapon at best.

Now going into hover mode might actually be a thing again

Totally with you on this.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So, just got done playing 3k Space Marines versus 1500 Orks & 1500 Tyranids in a 2 on 1.

The objective cards completely break the game. Every card they drew was giving them victory points for poo poo in their deployment zone, which I was never going to get to, and all of my cards were in their deployment zone as well.

Despite the fact that my Terminators, Honor Guard and Chapter Master handily kept the hordes at bay, with Warlordx2, First Blood, and 3 Objectives, I still lost by a whopping 18-4 because of the cards... :stare:

I don't want to get all butthurt on the internet over losing a game, because I don't mind losing, but the game had enough randomness with alpha strikes and, y'know, rolling dice every turn... The cards just essentially randomly assign a winner based on the luck of deployment.

edit: I conceded on turn 3.

Sounds like you shouldn't have been "holding them at bay" and should have been in their base killin their dudez!

I agree it can swing against you and that's part of the deal. However, just dont play the maelstrom missions if you don't like it. *shrug* I have had fun with them so far.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TheChirurgeon posted:

Are the missions in there any good?

Depends on what you mean by "good".

Are they fun? I think so. Some more than others. There are a few I don't care for.
Are they perfectly balanced? Some yes, some no.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

jng2058 posted:

Well, ask him to show you in the 7th Edition rulebook where it says that immobilized keeps you from scoring. :shrug:

Seconded. This without a doubt works.(Drop pods scoring)

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Ork Pre-orders are up!

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US...questid=8945591

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It's for our campaign that will eat up the majority of our games over the next 10 weeks.

:smithicide:

They are wrong. Wrong in a multitude of ways.

What else are they houseruling out? Are they getting rid of Daemon and Eldar psychic powers? better do that. They seem pretty powerful. Also better not allow flying monstrous creatures to fly...

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

They made drop pods not scoring.

I went overboard bitching about how unbalanced the cards are, and how they essentially turn any game into a card draw, regardless of what happens on the tabletop. Since they all refuted it and embraced the cards, anything I've brought to the table since has been effectively seen as trying to circumvent the cards.

Which, to be fair, I am trying to do. They told me to try and come up with ways to stay competitive despite the randomness of the cards, so I did... And they house ruled it.

I'm totally fine with houserules. But not houserules that just punish one player and/or army... this is a rule made without any idea of how it is impacting the REST of the game. It sounds like you win in this group a lot and they are trying to hamstring you (just guessing).

I would say that you should find a group of players more suited to the way you want to play if you can. I certainly wouldn't get involved in some long protracted campaign where you are going to be miserable the entire time.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

It doesn't matter, of course. It's just space Barbies. But it is spirit breaking. I was going to just take a break from the group to paint my new IG army, but then I realized they're using my PE tiles, and I kind of wrote the campaign (until the group rewrote most of it), so I feel obligated to play. I don't want to be a poor sport.

They're not as bad as I probably make them sound. There are a few characters, for sure, but they're not really the awful grognards you'd typically imagine...

They just loving love those cards without rationale or understanding.

I love the cards too if I am being honest. But I'm not going to cripple an opponent just because they come up with a good solution.

I would go back and re-read what you JUST wrote (quoted above)....

- They are using YOUR PE tiles
- They re-wrote the campaign you spent time writing/organizing(?)
- They are making rules changes which specifically target you.

You came here and started venting about them - so clearly you are upset about it... don't start making excuses now.

Let me ask this - what are the armies these other gamers are playing in this campaign?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I am frustrated, I admit. I win maybe 1 out of 5 games, but I dont mind losing because Im losing based on what happens on the tabletop. The cards frustrate me because of lovely draws. They remove my ability to "get better" because its all loving random.

The other armies are Necrons, Nids, two Tau, two Orks, and Chaos SM. Edit: and Blood Angels

Honestly I expected you to say Eldar, Eldar, Demons, Demons, Necrons.

Just tell the Tau players they are going to have to come out of their little firebases and face you!

Either way - this sounds incredibly frustrating. You should make them use the Most Important Rule each game... hey half the time you should be able to make the Drop Pods scoring!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

jng2058 posted:

Well hang on, while the Pods themselves don't score now the units they carry do. There's no reason you can't just drop the pods a few inches between the Objective and your enemy, then deploy the unit backwards onto the Objective. The Pod will provide some cover and even HtH armies will have to go around it to get to you, though I guess some of them will be smart enough to charge the pod to get to you quicker, and you'll still score a ton of points in the early rounds before they dig you off those Objectives. Might be enough to win a lot, in fact.

Good call!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Gotcha.

Here have a Stompa:

That picture is so epic!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

tothelastman posted:

I'm a beerhammer guy myself. I don't mind losing either. I can lose all the time too, so long as they're good games. But I feel your pain when I got wrecked all the time. Even playing casually it became unfun. This site helped out my game a lot. I started dominating most of my scene. But that wasn't fun after a while either. So I showed it to my bros too and now almost all of our games are nail bitingly close. YMMV though.
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/category/tactics101

As for the house rules, personally I'd talk to them straight up about it. I can speak on how I'd do this all day. But I'll just say that I was trained at work how to speak about touchy subjects with people. Of all the training I received, that was the most useful and worthwhile by far and I use it in my personal life too. This was the book that the course was based around. Totally worth every penny. http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Conversations-Talking-Stakes-Second/dp/0071771328/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401483636&sr=1-1

He is right - that book is fantastic.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

As far as I'm aware they haven't said he's limited edition or exclusive, so I'd expect to see it available on it's own, or a variant of it, shortly.

Edit: Also, that Knight has his blast shield on upside down. And the highlighting is poo poo.

He isn't limited edition and they have even said this is the only way to get him "for now". I'm trying to find where that was on their site but I am pressed for time at the moment.

That's the owner of Blue Table painting (Sean? I think his name is..). He runs around all Adepticon just filming stuff and pressing palms to get people to have his company paint their stuff. Truth be told he is always quite friendly and nice - I just don't think the quality his company provides is worth the prices they charge.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 1, 2014

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TsarZiedonis posted:

So, I was playing some games today, and it seems that, rules as written, one can take jink saves on skimmers that haven't moved. Actually, you can even take jink saves on skimmers that are immobilized!

The immobilized thing seems odd for sure. You can take a jink save on a skimmer that hasn't moved but now you incur the snapshot penalty for the next shooting phase.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

koreban posted:

The weapon answer has already been provided, however you might want to look for Imperial Armour vol. 12, there are a bunch of Necron-specific units and rules in there as well.

And an awesome campaign system and story!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SRM posted:

This is pretty much what my game club is like and it rules. Game store communities can be good but since they can't really turn anyone away like a club can, they're not quite so choosy and it can be more hit and miss.

As someone absolutely obsessed with aesthetics and deeply invested in the setting, nothing else can scratch that 40k itch for me. Necromunda a little bit, but I like the sweeping vastness of a big field battle.

This 1000% yes!

Some really great points for why starting a gaming club is awesome. Even in the US. I hadn't considered some of this.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cooked Auto posted:

Also, after hearing about the new campaign system in the latest HH book earlier this week on the IC's I suddenly wanted to play a campaign with it but trying to use IG vs Cultists or something like that instead of 30k marines.

This would work very easily. Just requires some story around it :)

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

On the topic of orks. I just painted my 50th Ork Boy! My bad moons army now looks like this

Worst/best thing is that that army is a mere 1300 odd points so there's still a bit of a way to go.

Nevertheless, I am quite proud of having painted this much. I've owned these models for years (some are from 3rd edition) and have always found the prospect of painting them very intimidating; there's just so many. But now, with a decent sized painted army and a new codex around the corner I am so excited to WAAAGH!

Very excited for you. My buddy Aaron will NEVER get his orks painted. He priced out having someone do them but his wife nearly killed him when he said he wanted to go that route. (About $1000)

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BuffaloChicken posted:

Sweet. I miss running Straken and having him be a hero... should do that more often.

Also, Fix, check it! To everyone else, Fix sold my brother a small plasma globe a few weeks back - he just finished this terrain piece. Looking forward to getting a game in with it - we'll have to make up some rules for it.

Oh damnit! I want one now!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Squifferific posted:

I thought Ghost Hand was Carl. You can't also be Carl.

haha

In all honesty - I have probably less than $10k worth of 40k stuff. (Though paying to have my wifes eldar painted definitely increased the amount I have spent...)

I have, over the last 8 years or so SPENT more than $10k on this game when you count travel, etc, etc... but my amount of spending is greatly exaggerated by those around me.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

serious gaylord posted:

I had to do an inventory of my stuff for the house insurance since they would never believe how much I had if it burned down. The value of the display cabinet was terrifying, never mind the cases full of stuff I have.

I took video of my gaming room and the stuff in it for this purpose. That video is stored off site.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hollismason posted:

Not only does it not have the new rules there are no plans currently to offer them in the set so it's kind of pointless to take now.

Not entirely sure this is accurate.

Edit: Top of page so here is a GUO I am working on currently....

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 7, 2014

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TheChirurgeon posted:

No, I don't think every comment is worthwhile, just like I said in my post that you didn't read. My exact words around comments and feedback were "the bulk of which will be worthless outside of a market research context."

But OH poo poo--someone might post a negative comment to an article/post/video! Quick, someone tell Microsoft/EA/Sony/Nintendo/Wizards of the Coast to take down their social pages before having them does more harm than good! That big thread about the Xbox One's resolution issues will kills sales! Those comments about Nintendo being a console for babies will destroy their brand! That super-toxic discussion about Mythic rarities turning Magic into Yu-Gi-Oh will turn away anyone who would play the game! Why do these large successful brands even bother?! How will I ever enjoy content or previews from these companies now?

I would point out that WoTC actually killed all posts in regards to RA Salvatore because he got butt hurt about people ragging on his characters and writing. So it became a rule on their official forums that you couldn't discuss certain things (in particular the works of RA Salvatore). Not sure if this is still the situation - but it was for quite awhile.

Lungboy posted:

One thing you really can't complain about with regards to GW is their customer service. They regularly send out entire new kits to replace a single missing or broken part, no questions asked.

I would go so far as to call their Customer Service "World Class". I have NEVER had a problem with their Customer Service dept or Forge Worlds for that matter.

Also many people don't know this - but if you are having problems assembling a Forge World Model - you can call (or write) them and ask for assistance and they will walk you through issues you might have...

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That's pretty funny. Salvatore makes Nick Kyme look like Shakespeare.

I actually quite enjoyed the RA Salvatore stuff when I was younger... but eventually I got tired of the super hero complex he has where no character ever stays dead.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

It's a hype campaign. They're trying to get people excited for orks over the month rather than blowing their load in one go. It's their equivalent of a trailer

Each week they're putting out another cool model, everyone goes "oh wow, look, orks are getting re done", then the following week a little more and then they release the codex as a grand finale. Personally I'm not going to buy any of the new kits immediately, but they sure as hell have gotten me excited about orks.

Agreed. It's really all about trying to get people excited about what is coming... SOON.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Two Feet From Bread posted:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Inventory is complete!!!

Linkity link!

After I removed what I wanted to keep, I have was left with $9,724.20* MSRP worth of product.

I will be selling it all for 50% off MSRP for a total of $4,862.10*.
Are there any takers for the bulk lot?

If there are no takers on the full lot then I will post the SA Mart thread on Monday at 5PM Central Standard Time

*MSRP reflects last known prices of discontinued items and Finecast prices of metal items.
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

This hasn't gone up on SA Mart yet has it? There's a couple things in here I want but haven't been able to find a post yet.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Awesome - Ork codex isn't even out and everyone has declared it dead and poo poo all over it already. The merry-go-round never stops.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Fix posted:

What's next after orks? I'll declare it dead now and just save us all the anticipation and rumormongering.

Hahah awesome!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Feel free to go hang out on your own IC forums and avoid all the doom and gloom of people who don't lap up everything GW burps out.

Oh you cut me to the core.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Two Feet From Bread posted:

SA Mart Fire Sale Update

Everyone who has paid has had their order shipped. If you don't have a tracking number then contact me and I'll get you one. Paypal sent out like 90% of them and I tried to email out the ones I had to go to the post office to ship.

I'm going to close the thread for new orders Monday afternoon and start listing stuff on eBay or other forums with a slight price increase. If you want something then go for it now.

I received all my stuff. Thank you very much for the quick handling sir!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Believe it or not, this is the tolerable 40k group in town.

Move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Indolent Bastard posted:

That is so vague it could be anything. A new campaign, a new data slate, a new starter set; who knows?

And is it Orks and IG or Orks and Space Marines? How do the Knights factor in? I know GW love tight control around their IP, but since I know leaks will be only guesses I'll just wait 5 days and find out. Being annoyed by this fact is not the way to hype your game GW.

My money is on an Apocalypse supplement book.

• Locked thread