Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

LordAba posted:

If you are in the chicago area adepticon is better. Honestly gamesday isn't (wasn't?) that exciting to me.

Seconded - Games Day was a whole lot of money to go spend more money. Adepticon is a blast and next year it's going to be bigger than ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BULBASAUR posted:

I was going to ask about "the cheapest place to get just the 40k 7th edition rulebook", but if they are cutting things like this I might just hold off since that book might be a paperweight in a year...

To be honest - GW cutting Games Day is fairly irrelevant. I imagine they are treating it as an effort vs value decision. Arguments can be made either way on this subject but I am positive this is why they have done away with it.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BULBASAUR posted:

Effort vs value certainly makes sense, coming from a company that still has a web page from 2008. I still question the direction of the company, however.

That's a tough project since those rhinos are out of print and cost about $20 on ebay. Lucky for you, there are a few third party companies that make riot shields similar to that one (one goon on here did a squad of guardsmen with them).

You can always scratch build those with some plasticard- a bit time consuming, but it should be an easy project.

hehe they just updated their web page.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Exinos posted:

I was going to play again if the Tyranid codex was good but they Cruddaced it up. If you're not one of the "Heroic" factions and instead play one of the armies that's always portrayed as a villain it seems you're in for disappointment.

DJ Dizzy posted:

If Orks are any indication, they wont.

Both of these Codexes are fine. The real problem is the Eldar codex.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Drake_263 posted:

In actual content, I got creative and this happened:

Strips of 0.5mm plasticard, glued onto spare 25mm bases, with short discs cut out of a 2mm plastic rod for bolts. Took me a couple of hours to knock these together, most of the time spent figuring how to the plasticard - first time working with the stuff. I've since given the bolts a careful once-over with a file to get them about level and glued some sand around the numerals - they look fairly good (and will look better once painted) if a little small. I might have to get myself a bunch of extra 40mm bases to try this out a second time with.

Brilliant! Simple but very effective.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

Thoughts on Sanctus reach?

I'm a little burnt out with so many recent releases and crusade of fire was such a waste that I'm wary of this.

That said, I love campaigns.

I'm picking it up and I'll cover it. So I'll let you know.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

As some of you may recall. Ghost Hand and I caught up on my recent trip to LA.

We played a pretty spectacular game of Death Guard Vs Ultramarines but also filmed this comedy sketch together.

http://youtu.be/kM4u1UJpNY4

Check it out it's probably the gooniest thing I ever gooned.

The only thing I don't like is that I couldn't think of a drat thing to say at the end, so I just stood there grinning like an idiot (the day and game was totally fun - hence the grin!)

Thanks Cataphract for letting me hang out with you for the day. I've been waiting for this video to come out so I could relive my humiliating defeat over and over again!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Its been openly discussed for months in these threads. Who cares?

I actually do care. But that is because I have close friends that work for Forge World. So to me ordering from recasters is like stealing from my friends. I'm not looking to start an argument, but you asked who cared. :P

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

JerryLee posted:

Not trying to start a fight with you over the point, but just because I'm curious now--do your friends (or I guess the model makers in general) get a percentage for every model that sells, or anything like that? Or is it just like a salaried job?

Salaried jobs. They are typically authors, game designers and people who do layout.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Master Twig posted:

I hope forgeworld maKes a mycetic spore model and has it identical to what it was in the last codex.

Deep striking carnifexes forever.

They will not.

BULBASAUR posted:

Just ask Ghost Hand about ForgeWorld's "customer satisfaction" department

Let's just say that I am completely satisfied with all my purchases :P

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Germ posted:

A bit of shameless cross-posting in an attempt to catch some of my fellow warhams. I have a kickstarter for resin terrain that went live earlier today. In addition to some area terrain and other basics, it also includes some simple resin objective markers that are designed to work with 40k (40mm, numbers 1 through 6 for tactical objectives, with an extra 2 and an extra 3 for The Scouring). Take a look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-terrain-for-miniature-gaming

The objective markers:

Some examples of the area-terrain system in action:

Edit: Aw hell, I almost forgot - the area terrain options include landmines! That way you can take a beautiful idyllic forest, and turn it grimdark and brutal.

I like it - going to pitch in some money on this. I'll also plug it on my shows FB page.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Two Feet From Bread posted:

If the Emperor was so great, he wouldn't have died on a toilet.

He's not dead. He's just on a really good run of Angry Birds on his smart phone.

SRM posted:

Here, have some rules sort of:

Personally, I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I thought the Stormraven would have a hard time getting off the ground, but this is even sillier. It's cool but not cool enough for me to break out my Space Wolves again.

Hahah I love the whole thing. I don't care what others think! There's a TREMENDOUS amount of conversion potential here too....

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Lungboy posted:

They have been leaked from the 2nd edition of IA4, which is out soon.

Out now...

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/IMPERIAL_ARMOUR_VOLUME_FOUR_THE_ANPHELION_PROJECT_SECOND_EDITION.html

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

By the way - if you have questions about it - let me know.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Red Scorpions changed at all?

- Art for the Red Scorpions remains the same from the previous edition. Though I think the Terminator and Space Marine plates is new.
- Background appears the same Geneseed (unrecorded/unknown)
- Chapter Tactic: Purity Above All - This is the same I think. Sgts can be Apothecaries.
- Chapter Tactic: Fortitude and Contempt - Reroll failed pinning but cant go to ground.
- They have a chapter relic called "Tears of The Scorpion". You upgrade a relic blade and it takes the form of Sword, Axe, Maul, Spear and gains Murderous Strike (Causes instant death on roll of 6 to wound, some of them reduce init by -1 due to Deadly Weight and the spear has mutliple rules based on weather they have charged or not)
- Commander Carab Culln is in the book as well as some other characters (Dreadnought etc)

I'll update more as I get time

Hencoe posted:

How do you get them so fast, mine is still awaiting packaging.
Real question, has there been any changes to the TGCs?
E: Tell us EVERYTHING!

I get a copy to cover on my show.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Might as well just give us a rundown of what changed, because I want to know about the Elysians.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Tell us about the IG units/lists Ghost Hand :love:

Too broad but I will cover some info about Elysians in a bit (at work now). I'll update the post as I get time.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hencoe posted:

This makes too much sense.
So the stuff we have heard about the bugs in the book have been true?

Not sure what you have seen but here is the new guy.

DIMACHAERON
WS8, BS3, S6, T6, W6, I6, A5, LD10, Sv 3+
Monstrous Creature (Leaper)

Weapons and Biomorphs:
- Sickle Claws
- Grasping Talons
- Thorax Spine-Maw
- Adrenal Glands
- Instinctive Behavior (feed)
- Rampage

Leaper lets it move 6" over any terrain or models freely (theres more to it but that simplifies it)

Grasping Talons: Str+1, AP2, Melee, Spine-maw Strike
Thorax Spine-Maw: Stre+4, AP1, Melee, Instant Death, Digestion Spine, (Only used at init1 and when the grasping talons roll a 6 to hit.)
Digestion Spine: Gets plasma tokens equal to wounds on the profile of the model removed (regardless of how many it had at the time). Gains 4+ FNP while it has tokens. Removes tokens at end of turn.

Couple other things...

Sickle Claws Str: User, AP2, Melee, Sickle Strike
Sickle Strike: on a 4+ to wound has the instant death special rule

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

I'm facebook friends with Aaron Dembski-Bowden

I'm friends with Cataphract.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hollismason posted:

Tom Kirby is stepping down and posted his Chairman Pre Amble, it's kind of insane.

http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Chairmans-Preamble-2014.pdf

Good catch - thanks for sharing.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Holy smokes!

This is from the last page, but, if I were on the board of an international company I'd be "exasperated" too if my fellow members were in the habit of not reading resumes for our replacements. How does the idea to do that even come into someone's mind? It is absolutely dumbfounding. I really hope that business schools out there will one day write really entertaining case studies about how ridiculous Games Workshop is about their business strategy. I used to work at Harvard Business School where I did background research for cases and it breaks my heart that I didn't know GW existed back then.

It's shocking really...

http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/13/technology/yahoo-ceo-out/

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hollismason posted:

Hasbro has expressed interest in the past of purchasing Games Workshop.

Can you point me to this article or mention? Because I never saw it. I think people basically assumed "Hasbro" because Hasbro bought WoTC at one point.

Not doubting you - just would love to read it.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Deptfordx posted:

Meanwhile deep within the catacombs of the Fang......

"Good news my fellow armoury thralls. A fallen wolf has been interred in a Dreadnought and fights with the rout still! We have been tasked to prepare his weapons for his glorious battle"

"Excellent news. And what mighty weapons will the dread walker wield. A mighty Las Cannon to blast apart enemy tanks! An assault cannon to rain a torrent of death upon his foes! Or perhaps a mighty power fist so he can tear apart all enemies!"

Consults data slate.

"Nooooo......Apparently he wants quote: A HUGE LOVING AXE, ABOUT 10' LONG, PLENTY OF BLING. OH AND A SHIELD! A ROUND ONE LIKE THE OLD WOODEN SHIELD MY UNCLE BLOOD-FANG GAVE ME. STRAP A WOLF (wink) SKULL TO THE FRONT, THAT'LL BE EVEN COOLER. K THX BYE!"

"It shall be done".

I hope the rules for that shield+axe dread are awesome... cause he looks badass.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Thundercracker posted:

I doubt its fake fake... just unbelievable that someone posted this letter to build investor confidence. I'd be mashing sell so hard 5 seconds after reading this

I believe that in the UK the Chairman and the CEO have to be separate people. So this is likely a result of an expiration of some time limit that allows him to fulfill both rolls (probably a year or less is allowed or something... while they "look for" a CEO.

I could be wrong but it looks that way. (Again I am not a business expert or anything.)

The thing I HAVE been told is that if we see a replacement of CEO come from the board it is unlikely we will see any true change. And as long as this guy has his hand in the pot, I can't imagine we would. I would hope the next CEO, whoever they are would be more social media friendly...

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Boon posted:

I think you'd have to be a real dipshit to own stock in a model games company in the first place... so I don't think this will shake investor confidence.

It has made a lot of people a lot of money.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

PierreTheMime posted:

The Thunderfire Cannon is notorious for being one of the worst kits (in terms of assembly) that GW has produced. Even in Finecast, you're assembling huge pieces together that only vaguely fit. The nice part is, if you order one and it's off you get two for the price of one.

Easier to assemble than the metal one.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

uncleKitchener posted:

I noticed the GW store at London's Brent Cross had closed down. Any idea when that actually closed down? I used to pass by that store every now and then, but didn't visit for a year or so.

Is that the one in the big indoor mall? Or the one in the outdoor mall downstairs with the low ceilings?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Glad to see Gaylord is keeping the nerds in check by actually reading the facts instead of freaking out. This thread would be unreadable without you and I felt like it needed to be said.

In other news an old warhammer friend dusted off his orks for a practice game the other day. I tried to bring my daemons in on a casual game but his inexperience, a bit of luck and probably my competetive poo poo-head brain grasped a victory from the jaws of defeat.

Pictures!

Soulgrinder proved too strong for this matchup, though I didn't expect him to take a 'Uge Choppa on his boss. He was happy with my suggestion to add a flaming wrecking ball to the top of the whip to count as AP2 and Unwieldy.

Almost swung that wrecking ball into my Heldrake's face! It hit once but didn't pen :eng99:

Might as well post my cross post oath as well...

These pictures are beautiful representations of the game!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Sulecrist posted:

Hey Ghost Hand, I'm thinking about purchasing either a Fire Raptor or a Caestus Assault Ram soon. You have both models, right? In person, which do you prefer aesthetically?

Also, I'm planning on going to the Forge World booth at Gencon but I haven't bought Forge World at a con in like 10 years (and I missed the reservation deadline). I know things work a little differently for you, but how do real-time buyers generally go about figuring out what's in stock and then asking for it without completely holding up the line?

Fire Raptor is badass looking in my opinion. I like the Caestus but much prefer the look of the Fire Raptor.

Go with a list of what you want - if they dont have it there, they will ship it to you free.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hollismason posted:

At this point I would not even be remotely shocked to learn that GW is being purposely mismanaged in order to force a buy out by Hasbro so someone could make a bunch of money or something.

Once again - if someone could point me to any article or statement where Hasbro said they are looking at buying GW I would love to see it. Sorry but just because they bought WoTC, doesn't mean GW is next in line. I just don't see Hasbro buying them.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

The Sisko posted:

So I'm thinking of throwing together a campaign for me and my little brother to play out. It will be my first campaign and it will be CSM versus Space Marines. To that end I have bought the altar of war missions for both CSM and SM, kill team, and I found a PDF of the death world rules. From these I'll probably pick the missions that will suit the narrative I eventually come up with. Are there any other resources I could use to help build missions?

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3512

You can also look here at the campaign I ran for my group (it ended up failing because too many of the player that play the most were on one side). But the concepts and such are all solid.

http://epicempires.com/campaign/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=aff7103c93622c3340807a4353dc7f04

I would also highly recommend the campaign system in the Imperial Armour 12: The Fall of Orpheus (though it is the system the campaign above is based on)

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

AbusePuppy posted:

Tigurius is amazing, by the way. He's so much better than Calgar it's not even funny.

Im not saying he isn't good - but if he is your only psyker on the table even he will be outclassed by someone bringing a lot of psychic power. He IS good - but not as good as he was in 6th.

Best use for Tigirius (I have found) is in support of backfield units holding objectives where he can guide long range fire and invuln units to protect them.

Calgar is still an awesome model and great unit. Don't dismiss him.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

serious gaylord posted:

One of the better books Black Library have put out, called Battle of The Fang, goes into this too. He is disgusted by the amount of ornamentation on what he considers his coffin.

Seconded. This is one of my favorite 40k Books.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Vengeful Turtle posted:

How competitive can the chaos dex be in 7th edition? I saw Heldrakes took some nerfs from the changes to vector strike and losing turrets on their flamers. Could I put together a decent list that won't get destroyed at local tourneys? I don't have to come in first but I'd like to avoid being last place all the time.

Depending on whether your group uses Forge World or not, things are about to get a whole lot better for Chaos.... I can't say more than that yet.

Also the Heldrake is still badass and bad news vs MEQ.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 5, 2014

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah was about to post this. The model comes with autocannon turrets so you can use those, but rules-wise for Chaos 40k you get Reaper turrets instead which own (R36" S7 AP4 Heavy 4, Twin-linked, can shoot at other targets) and are much better than the heavy bolters because they can take down Flyers. Also it's only 220 points with the Reaper upgrades.

They are about to get better!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Slimnoid posted:

Yes but will they come in a box of 60 is the question.

I have a box of 80 (pretty sure its 80) of them from Halloween last year that I would be willing to sell. They are still on sprue and in their original box... PM me if interested.

They are basically the zombie kits and the corporate kits and you just mash em together.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Direwolf posted:

I ebayed a ton of stuff at the end of last year, so here's my advice based on that:

Selling as a lot is a good way to unload stuff if you're looking to unload but will make you less money. Ebay doesn't charge per-item so there's little cost benefit to doing it, and usually people will be looking for substantial discounts for a lot - sell them in groups of what they are and people will be more willing to spend extra for the one unit they need.

Don't bother stripping them, I don't think you'd be making more (and may be able to sell them for more because the paint job's decent).

I'd sell them as:
3x Warlocks
3x Warlocks
5x Rangers (painted)
5x Rangers (unpainted)
Farseer
Autarch
Fire Dragons
Warp Spiders

Make sure you note there's combined shipping/to check out your other listings, it's cheaper for everyone involved and might cause people to grab stuff they wouldn't otherwise.
Price wise, I'd put an auction starting at 50% of retail with a buy-it of like 80%, unless you were hoping for a painting premium.

Tell me how much you want for the Fire Dragons shipped and I might take them off your hands. I might be interested in the rangers as well. (all 10)

PM me.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Esser-Z posted:

Thanks! I know a couple guys who'll probably be interested, but I wanted to have some ideas down before I brought it up, y'know?

Please do take a listen to that episode that SRM recommended. People seemed to get some enjoyment and information out of it. We did an older one on campaigns which you can find back here:

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?page_id=2198

But it's episode 12... which was a bit before I think we really hit our stride :P

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Hollismason posted:

They get some poo poo from people but if I paid to have models painted it'd probably be with Frontline, I've never heard any super bad poo poo about them and the quality for their level 1 or whatever is pretty nice.

Plus their super supportive of the community as a whole with the running of tournaments etc.. Plus their battle mats are pretty keen.

I just like them as a company.

edit:

Speaking of which I think I was suppose to write something.

They are local to me and I am friends with Reece, Frankie and Jason (the paint manager). I really like the way they have approached their service.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
What I want to know is why we haven't seen any pics of Cataphract playing with Goons at Warhammer World posted here yet!?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

Yeah it was a fun day, I thought we'd have time for at least two games whilst you guys were there but beers got in the way. I did have a game with with Demitri, one of the studio painters, and his stunning Blood Angels after you guys left and got to hang out with Paul Rudge and play with his Mortarion and one of the new forge world knights. So it definitely wasn't a wash from my end but it's a shame we didn't get that second round in. Here's some pics of the gooniest goons I ever gooned. It was sweet to see that RT salamders army and all those praetorians.

Badass objective marker! :P

Man that looks like a fun day. I'm going to be out there in early November. Really looking forward to my return trip. Glad Paul came down and hung with you a bit. He's a great guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

JerryLee posted:

The issue is that the picture still doesn't convey 'faster' at all--it's a supremely static pose.

Maybe the kit allows you to pose it better but if so you'd think they'd do so for the publicity still.

It's completely poseable.

This one was assembled and painted by Paul Rudge of Forge World - he is not a professional painter or modeler by trade but just loves doing them. In this case I agree the pose he gave it was a bit static, but you can easily see the potential.

• Locked thread