Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Unbound + my existing silly/fluffy Iyanden list + that silly Eldar haul I got last weekend =

Now all I need is more wraithlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

The Sex Cannon posted:

This cross post is almost as long as my list of crippling insecurities!

Ok, NoVA/DC/MD hams. Here's the deal: These guys are a totally legit battle-forged army that clocks in at 1405 pts. I want to play an all-infantry hilarity fest to christen 7th edition. Who's got 1405 points of infantry and wants to throw down sometime soon?

Oh hey buddy. My phone blew up so I don't have your number anymore but if your foot guard wanted to play my 8x8 Khorne list sometime?

code:
+++ New Roster (1381pts) +++

Chaos Space Marines 6th Ed (2012) by SN (Primary Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (145pts)
    * Chaos Lord (145pts) 
        Gift of mutation (10pts), Mark of Khorne (10pts), Sigil of corruption (25pts)
        * Power Armour (35pts) 
            Axe of Blind Fury (35pts), Bolt Pistol

+ Troops + (791pts)
    * Khorne Berzerkers (Troops) (186pts) 
        6x Chain Axe (18pts), 6x Khorne Berzerker (114pts)
        * Berzerker Champion (54pts) 
            Bolt Pistol, Power Fist (25pts)

* Khorne Berzerkers (Troops) (223pts) 
        7x Chain Axe (21pts), 7x Khorne Berzerker (133pts)
        * Berzerker Champion (69pts) 
            Plasma Pistol (15pts), Power Fist (25pts)

* Khorne Berzerkers (Troops) (191pts) 
        * Berzerker Champion (37pts) 
            Bolt Pistol, Chainaxe (8pts)

* Khorne Berzerkers (Troops) (191pts) 
        (Fearless, Furious Charge, Mark of Khorne)
        * Berzerker Champion (37pts) 
            Bolt Pistol, Chainaxe (8pts)

Chaos Daemons: Codex (2013) v13 (Allied Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (85pts)
    * Daemonic Heralds (85pts) 
        * Herald of Khorne (85pts) 
            D6 Daemonic Reward (20pts) (Greater Magic Weapons, Greater Rewards), D6 Daemonic Reward (10pts) (Lesser Rewards, Magic Weapons)

+ Troops + (360pts)

* Bloodletters of Khorne (175pts) 
        15x Bloodletters (150pts), Icon of Chaos (10pts) (*)
        * Bloodreaper (15pts) 
            D6 Daemonic Reward (10pts) (Lesser Rewards, Magic Weapons)

* Bloodletters of Khorne (185pts) 
        16x Bloodletters (160pts), Icon of Chaos (10pts) (*)
        * Bloodreaper (15pts) 
            D6 Daemonic Reward (10pts) (Lesser Rewards, Magic Weapons)

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
So it's a Paladin list with no shooting.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Random assault distances only make sense in a game with random shooting ranges, I think it's pretty simple. For every "maybe they tripped running in" you can say "maybe their gun jammed or ran out of ammo or there was some dust and they couldn't see". There's an explanation for whatever you want but the balance impact is part of the larger weakness of assault in 6th 7th edition.

Playing my first 7th game tonight, pretty excited to try out the new card system with my terrible Khorne foot list.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Apollodorus posted:

So I just got the new 40k rulebook (plus ads) and it seems like Wave Serpents and Taudar have been significantly nerfed, which makes me feel bad as a player with Tau and Eldar armies but I realize they were overpowered previously.

Wave Serpents are still good though, right? Just not, like, "best tank in the game" good?

How were wave serpents nerfed?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

The Sex Cannon posted:

Played my first game of 7th tonight with Direwolf. Had a ton of fun. We decided to do an all-infantry battle, so I had :

1400ish points of Imperial Guard
CCS w/ all 3 advisors
2 Primaris
2 Commissars
2 platoons as follows-
PCS w/ 4 plasmas
2 Infantry squads with flamers
Special Wepons squad w/ grenade launchers
Autocannon squad
Missile launcher squad
2 melta vets w/ demolitions

He had:
1400ish points of chaos marines and demons
Chaos Lord
4 Berzerker squads
Khorne herals
2 Bloodletter squads

We played Maelstrom of War mission 6 - Deadlock. We only got 2 turns in each because we are new and slow (and both late), but it was a pretty awesome scrap. This was also my first game with my guard. Here's what I thought:
About the game in general:
- Mysterious objectives are awesome. Really added flavor to the battlefield. Though I know Direwolf hated it when I rolled a 6 and got the Graviton thing for that one on the right flank.
- Tactical objectives were cool. We both rolled some useless ones, but we were able to get rid of them as part of the mission rules, so it wasn't a big deal.
- Neither of us had the Tactical Objective cards, so keeping track of them was a bit of a hassle. I am going to buy the cards, and I would recommend that you buy a pack, too, if you're going to use tactical objectives in your games.
- 7th is a lot more complex than 6th. I guess we'll see how it goes down the line, but I have high hopes after tonight.

About IG:
- Holy poo poo the IG shooting phase is complicated. 3 Officers and four orders per turn is a lot to keep track of. I also rolled inspired command twice, so orders played a pretty big roll in this battle. They're like little, awesome psychic powers.
- A blob squad is a force to be reckoned with. Don't have a 2+ save? Don't let them get a turn of shooting off. "First rank fire, second rank fire" is extremely powerful and if I had managed to get a prescience off for that turn of shooting, it would have been devastating.
- Primaris psykers are loving fantastic. Unlike a lot of other psykers, you're really only paying for powers, because their stat line is so lovely. They'er not going to do a whole lot as an offensive tool, but they're adroit force multipliers.
- Take an astropath. 25 points for a ML1 psyker is a steal. And telepathy has a few good powers (I can't wait to have LOS blocking invisible Leman Russes).
- Take a master of ordnance. 20 points for a lovely basilisk is way good. He wiped out most of a zerker squad single-handedly.
- PCS squads with 4 plasmas and a prescience buff are very powerful.
- gently caress yes take demolitions on your vets solely because you get a demolition charge, and demo charges loving rule.
- Putting down 120 guardsmen and throwing out hundreds of shots per turn is a hell of a lot of fun.

I eagerly anticipate my next game of 7th, and I really want to get a full game in with Direwolf. He's a great dude.

It was great playing with you too buddy! Just wish we could have finished the game.

I think one thing should be to discard "unwinnable" tactical objective cards prior to the game starting - we were able to discard our useless ones but it's one thing to be able to tactically decide that an objective you drew isn't feasible, it's another to just have it be impossible (Sex Cannon drew a "kill vehicle/monstrous creatures" card in our all-infantry game, and I drew a "cast a psychic power" with my mono-khorne, so). That way there's a drawback to choosing to discard an objective (even if it's a small chance, you're still giving up a chance) and you don't feel like you're getting completely useless cards.

We didn't have any vehicles, which I feel at least for my armies is the bigger change, so I have yet to test that out. The psychic phase didn't break the game though I will say it's pretty much impossible to stop spells that don't target your own units, esp power level 2 or 3.

Anyways, we'll hopefully get another game in soon, I think the plan is for him to run 20 4x plasma gun guard squads versus my 10 wraithlords, we'll see what happens.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

The Gate posted:

Losing a shitload of models when you declare the charge seems punishing to assaulters. Like, losing them in the shooting phase when you're probably in cover and can then move closer/at a different angle to get close is one thing, you have your turn to react. Losing a shitload when you declare the assault, when you can no longer change your plan or set up a combo charge or deal with the unit taking excessive casualties is bad. People already bitch about losing models to overwatc and failing charges, Orks and Nids would suffer a lot from this.

It's punishing but I think most of the time less so than the current setup - normally that punishing shooting would just happen during the shooter's shooting phase, so the same damage would already be done.

My issue with it is that it'd primarily be a nerf to assaulting out of an assault vehicle or open topped vehicle, as those units would lose their vehicle's protection - and I don't really see how open topped vehicles need a nerf right now.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Boon posted:

Finished my test Dire Avenger model. I think I'm a fan even without the warm color that was suggested. It's going to be on a snow base so I'm not sure the warm color is required. What do you think?

I think it looks great! The blue definitely pops and it's a unique color scheme.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Was doing a close readover of my $85-worth-every-penny book and confirmed what had been said earlier in this thread about my Wave Serpents needing to actively Jink but getting a better save - playing tomorrow with a friend back home so I was thinking about whether I'd use them and if so how many with the new rules, he's Necrons so glancing me to death was already his strategy. And then it hit me!

Jink is the same for bikes now too!

My Ravenwing! The whole army wasn't super amazing before, but now...uh. Well.

Back to Deathwing?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Alright, so with my shock at my Ravenwing turning into mush, it's been forever since I've run Deathwing, what do we think of this list:

+++ New Roster (1848pts) +++
+++ 1850pt Dark Angels 6th Ed (FAQ April 2013) Roster (Primary Detachment)) +++

+ HQ + (300pts)

* Belial (190pts) (Codex: Dark Angels 6th p56)

* Chaplain (110pts) (Codex: Dark Angels 6th p30)
(Independant Character, Zealot)
Bolt Pistol, Crozius Arcanum, Frag and Krak Grenades, Jump Pack (15pts), Melta Bombs (5pts), Power Armour, Rosarius

+ Troops + (1548pts)

* Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) (240pts)
(Deathwing Assault, Split Fire, Vengeful Strike)
Assault Cannon (20pts), 4x Deathwing Terminators (176pts), Inner Circle (Fearless, Preferred Enemy (Chaos Space Marines))
* Deathwing Terminator Sgt (44pts)

* Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) (240pts)
Assault Cannon (20pts), 4x Deathwing Terminators (176pts), Inner Circle (Fearless, Preferred Enemy (Chaos Space Marines))

* Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) (460pts)
9x Deathwing Terminators (396pts), 2x Heavy Flamer (20pts), Inner Circle (Fearless, Preferred Enemy (Chaos Space Marines))

* Deathwing Terminator Squad (Troops) (608pts)
6x Deathwing Terminators (264pts), Inner Circle (Fearless, Preferred Enemy (Chaos Space Marines)), 2x Pair of Lightning Claws, 4x Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield (20pts)
*Deathwing Terminator Sgt (44pts)
* Land Raider Crusader (280pts)
(Assault Vehicle, Power of the Machine Spirit)
Deathwing Vehicle (30pts) (*, Preferred Enemy (Chaos Space Marines))

2nd turn DW assault coupled with a pretty tough Landraider with the assault squad / chaplain inside - the LR has Objective Secured, so once it deploys it can go grab objectives, and the Chaplain can either buff the squad or zoom off on his own to take objectives or assault smaller squads. Belial goes with the HF squad so I can exactly place it for the templates, and the other 2 squads can either land where needed.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

LordAba posted:

Where you using the 5+ cover save so much? Most of the guns on the ravenwing are twin-linked so snapshots are less of a pain, and you can still cover units with other units I believe. Does jinx stop you from charging the next turn? The stealth speeders will still help you out.
If you use the random objectives bikers should be fairly powerful. If you like ravenwing I would recommend giving them a shot still.

The short answer is yes, constantly. The one buff is that we can jink on the first turn now if we don't go first, which is a godsend, but Ravenwing is not an assault army at all and isn't good at assault except for one unit (Black Knights) which are also fantastic shooters - so the one unit that I wouldn't mind charging headlong into the enemy is the one unit I'd like to be able to shoot with, as well. The thing that makes Ravenwing viable is our dakka banner, and the jink change mathematically reduces the hits a 6 man squad gets with mass bolters from 21 to 7. I don't think we were the targets of the change but it's a really strong nerf to what we're best at.

I don't know if you've played a bike army, but it's a very delicate thing and it relied on high toughness to ignore small arms and cover saves to ignore the stuff that ignored our toughness. There's a huge range of weapons that we needed to be able to absorb with the cover save so we could then return fire the next turn, and, well, now we either can't do the first part or can't do that second. We're good at grabbing random objectives, sure, but in the one 7th game I've played half the cards were totally unrelated to that - we can't "destroy a squad in a turn" if we're shooting with BS 1, twin linked or not.

Direwolf fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 31, 2014

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
First Unbound game today, though it was more for laughs than anything - I put together every Eldar monstrous creature I had and then my friend built a Necron list designed to hard counter it. I won on VPs but he tabled me? Soooo

My list:
Wraithknight w/ Suncannon, Scatter Laser
Wraithknight w/ Suncannon, Scatter Laser
Wraithlord w/ 2x flamer, 1x brightlance x6

His list:
4x 5x Deathmarks
1x 6x Deathmark
3x 10x Deathmarks in Night Scythes
1x 10x Deathmarks
Necron special character that can transform? The diviner?

We rolled up Mission 6 with the diminishing tactical objectives. He won the roll off for deployment but I managed to seize. His Warlord trait meant he could make me discard an objective, mine was -1 to his reserve rolls. He deployed 3 squads of 5 deathmarks with his lord and kept everything else in reserve.

Turns out Deathmarks get really, really good when you have enough of them! Their mark impacts every other Death Mark, so every unit was shooting every one of my units and wounding on 2s and rending on 6s. Oh and they wound in CC on 2s as well, so charging isn't even a good way to wipe them out - the only reason I won on VPs was I got nearly perfect card draws, my first turn I drew 4 objective captures that I was sitting on and I continued to make maybe 50/50 achievable/unachievable draws. In the scenario you draw 1 less card each turn, so when it was time to draw 3 for him he drew 3 he couldn't achieve, which meant he couldn't get any more VPs - even if he discarded at the end of his turn, the next turn his hand size went down again, so he was kinda stuck. He wiped me so it didn't matter but I'm not sure that problem was intended by the scenario?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

LingcodKilla posted:

RCross posting my 3rd tourney list I actually did good with. Andy Chambers signed it too. Woo woo.

Awesome man. My 3rd ed rulebook is signed by Mr. Chambers because he was on our flight out to Gencon - he overheard my friend complaining about the 3rd ed DE rulebook and loudly attacking Jervis Johnson, and he cut in and was like "hey, I work with the guy, chill out". Very chill guy.

panascope posted:

"Never give up, self-reliant."

Salamanders rules! They didn't have to take all-on-their-own checks, I believe. One of my other friends played Salamanders back in the day, not sure what he did with them.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Captain Rufus posted:

Lots of anger

Heeeey buddy. It really sounds like you've had a pretty negative experience with a lot of this hobby and apart from 1 or 2 random bad experiences with pickup games I really haven't experienced any of the problems you've had with the game socially. I mostly play with friends, but as a great example of how 40k players are not horrendous socially broken people both The Sex Cannon and Goat Bouillabaisse reached out to me here as soon as I moved to the area and ended up being really great guys to hang out with. This might just be a bad experience with your local club, both in terms of the uncomfortable approach you're describing as well as the unwillingness people have to try out new games.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Arven posted:

As a guard player returning to the game after 4 years, I have to ask- is there any reason that I shouldn't be giving a bolter to every sarge in my army? And just to be clear, can he keep his chainsword despite taking the Bolter (the rules don't clearly specify)?

Also since no guard units can infiltrate anymore and only stormtroopers can deep strike, Valkyries are kind of necessary if you want to take objects before the enemy I assume?

If the bolter's free and replaces the lasgun, then you should unless you want him to have a laspistol for +1 attack. He can keep his chainsword but chainswords don't do anything unless paired with another close combat weapon.

Objectives are usually placed all over the map, so even without any fliers or deep strikers you will probably be able to walk or drive or even start on top of at least 2 in the first turn. That said, mobility is definitely useful with the "capture x objective" cards.

I can't imagine how good Eldar jetbikes are now.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

CyberLord XP posted:

Well, out with it...

I think his point was that GW giving out a free sample was the crazy bit, not the kit itself.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Speaking of -1 to saves! Battle report.

We did "Big Guns Never Tire", which ended up being a godsend for me as I had no HS and he had a ton:

My list
Belial
Chaplain, jump pack, melta bombs
10x Deathwing, 2x HF
5x Deathwing, Assault Cannon
5x Deathwing, Assault Cannon
7x Deathwing, 4x Thunder Hammer, 2x Lightning Claws, LR Crusader Transport

His list:
Maugan Ra
Farseer, Shard, Ghosthelm
Warlock, Singing Spear
10x Guardians in Wave Serpent, Scatter lasers
3x Jetbike, Shuriken Cannon
3x Jetbike, Shuriken Cannon
4x Jetbike, Shuriken Cannon
10x Jetbike, 3x Shuriken Cannon
6x Dark Reapers, Exarch w/ Missile, Fast Shot in Wave Serpent w/ Scatter lasers
6x Dark Reapers, Exarch w/ Missile, Fast Shot in Wave Serpent w/ Scatter lasers
Wraithknight, Wraithcannons

Dawn of war setup. I rolled to go first and the 4 objectives were all kind of in a diamond in the center, relatively near each other - I tried to set them up that way, as I had 7 scoring things to start and knew I would end with less. I deployed my LR Crusader towards the tip of the diamond that pointed towards me, with the assault squad and the Chaplain inside and the rest deploying via Deathwing Assault first turn; he deployed along his table edge, holding his 3 small jetbike squads in reserve. We rolled Night Fighting for the first turn.

He failed to seize, and so I started with the first turn.

1st turn:
Moved the land raider up onto the first objective and popped smoke. Belial accompanied the 10 man squad deep striking so I set them up to flame the 10 man Jetbike squad; they took 1 casualty from deeps striking into difficult terrain but were otherwise ok. The other 2 squads mostly landed on target, each close enough to a wave serpent to threaten it for the next turn though their assault cannon shots didn't do anything. I shot the 10 man terminator squad + Belial into his jetbike squad, and caused 4 casualties, but his morale held.

On his turn, he unloaded all his wave serpents and set them up for firing positions. This is when I realized I had made a terrible mistake, as his warlock had rolled the power that either gives his squad +1 to their armor save OR gives an enemy squad -1 to theirs. With a quick roll of the dice, my 10 man squad and Belial had 3+ armor saves for the turn. A combination of Dark Reaper AP 3 shooting and some shuriken rends, with poor invulnerable saves, left the entire 10 man squad dead and Belial down a wound. He also killed 3 terminator on the right side with some wave serpent shooting and the other dark reapers. He then proceeded to charge Belial with his now-6 man bike squad, who rolled really well on their wound rolls and killed him, taking 2 casualties in the process. He also charged the land raider with the Wraithknight, but only managed to shake it. 650 points dead first turn! Woo.

2nd turn:
I was not expecting to be down half my army at this point, but honestly even without the perfect warlock + AP 3 shooting combination I've had worse games with my terminators (albeit about 10 years ago) so I tried to focus on the positives. And there were positives! First up, I let out the assault termies and the Chaplain, who split up; the chaplain moving towards the Maugan Ra/Dark Reaper transport, and the assault terminators surrounding the Wraithknight. My now-2 man squad advanced towards his Farseer who was hanging out with the other Dark Reaper squad and their Wave Serpent, and my remaining 5 man squad moved towards the Guardian Wave Serpent. My Land Raider actually rammed his center Wave Serpent, but failed to cause damage; however, the Assault Cannon snap shotted 2 HP off, amazingly enough. The 5 man squad split fire to kill some guardians and shoot their wave serpent, doing 1 HP; the 2 man squad (remaining were a sergeant and the assault cannon) split fire to mainly be able to charge both the Dark Reapers and the Wave Serpent, but actually managed to storm bolter down a Dark Reaper.
And then came the assault phase. Leaping, bounding Terminators all rolled 10+ charge ranges, with the 5 man squad hitting the Guardian Wave Serpent, the 2 man hitting his Dark Reapers/Farseer and their wave serpent, and the assault squad hitting the Wraithknight. The Chaplain contributed as well, charging the last Wave Serpent and kicking it out of the air with his Hammer of Wrath attack. Massed powerfists kiiinda gently caress up Wave Serpents, and so in one glorious round I destroyed all 3 wave serpents, with the assault terminators taking 3 wounds off the Wraithknight and taking no casualties in return.

On his turn, his 3 jetbike squads popped on, and I knew my 4 man squad was doomed. Lo and behold, his warlock cast the -1 armor save again, and they were decimated by the massed Shuriken + Dark Reaper fire. 2 of the 3 small Jetbike squads then blazed over, one to assist the Farseer + Dark Reapers (though they couldn't make it that turn), and 1 to claim an objective to the south. However, my 2 terminators in combat with the Farseer and the Dark Reapers kept on, making all their armor saves and slowly whittling down the squad. As well, more importantly my assault terminators murdered the Wraithknight, who only managed to kill their Sergeant in return. They consolidated south towards the Jetbike squad.

Turn 3:
My chaplain gunned his jetpack and shot over to near his jetbike squad that was trying to assist the Farseer, while my assault terminators moved towards assault range of the south jetbike squad, and my landraider advanced to Hurricane/Assault Cannon range of his third small jetbike squad. Spectacularly bad armor save rolling later, that squad was dead, and both the assault squad and the Chaplain made it into close combat, the assault squad annihilating the southern squad and the chaplain killing 2 of the 3 - thankfully, the last held. The Farseer/Dark Reaper combat continued, with the farseer finally killing the Sergeant, but the assault cannon killing another Dark Reaper.

He moved his remaining Jetbike squad south to take some potshots at the assault terminators, and the Dark Reaper/Maugen Ra squad moved up and tried to rend the Land Raider to no avail. My Chaplain killed his remaining jetbike, and the Assault Cannon termie killed the last normal Dark Reaper, leaving the Exarch and the Farseer.

Turn 4:
My Land Raider scooted forward and downed 1 Jetbike in the 4 man squad, while the Assault Terminators moved into a building near an objective, close enough to contest. My chaplain made his charge, and once again Hammer of Wrathed the Exarch in the face, leaving him, the Farseer with re-rollable invul saves (Fortune), and the assault terminator sitting around.

On his turn, he stunned my Land Raider with Maugen Ra and moved his guardians forward, closer to the objective the LR was sitting on. Threw the singing spear at the Land Raider to no effect, and went all out with his remaining Jetbikes to get close to the Farseer combat. The Farseer continued to make all his saves.

Turn 5:
Land Raider sat, assault termies sat, combat continued to no avail or casualties.

Jetbikes sat, potshots at my Land Raider, Guardians took the building near the objective the LR was sitting on to contest it. Dark Reapers moved foward towards the Northeast objective. Most importantly, however, I managed to roll triple 6s on his Fortune roll, meaning the Farseer could not reroll his armor saves anymore; he was struck down, bloodily, by the Chaplain.

Game did not end!

Turn 6:
Land raider moved up and killed 3 Dark Reapers, but couldn't hurt Maugan Ra. Chaplain and Assault Cannon moved towards the Jetbike squad, but missed their shooting and the Chaplain failed his charge range roll.

Dark Reapers annihilated the Chaplain, Terminator failed his armor save against Maugan Ra's shooting, who then scooted forward to take the objective near them; Jetbikes turboboosted to the east objective.

Game ended!

Final score was 8-7, his victory, killing Warlord (1), First Blood (1), and holding objectives with Maugan Ra and a jetbike squad. I had 1 objective (3) and had killed 4 Heavy Support options - his Wraithknight, 1 Dark Reaper squad, and 2 Dark Reaper wave serpents.

Despite losing, I am pretty happy with how my army did; that 1 warlock spell literally killed a third of my army points, and I think things could have gone very differently without that. Also considering how mobile his force was, I did a good job of corraling him and forcing confrontations on my own terms (ha) and if the game had ended Turn 5 I would have solidly won.

I do have a feeling it would do worse with Tactical objectives, however. Mobility is not the Deathwing strong point, even with Deathwing Assault.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Beerdeer posted:

I vaguely remember chaos marines on horseback from the Rogue Trader days. Does anyone else remember them or am I nuts?

I googled "chaos marines on horseback".

First result.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2111chaosrenhorse-02.htm

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Lord Twisted posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you kill off the guns before the crew? So you say 30 wounds but as soon as you lose 6 (3 guns, 2 wounds each) you're left with just a bunch of grots?

Or am I interpreting you wrong? I'm reading this as you maxing out on crew

I will correct you! You're wrong, the crew act as ablative wounds for the guns.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Indolent Bastard posted:

Some old(er) terminators, a bunch of "love my bolter" plastic marines, and probably a few other bits you might care about. I'm just trying to figure out if I should hold onto them because, well poo poo I already have them; or if I should accept my limitations (of ability and interest) and clear out some space.

Clear some space. If you're not using something you're not using something, I sold a ton of my models last year, still have enough to play with and I don't really miss the models that aren't collecting dust.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

WhiteOutMouse posted:

So... MSP is in town and bro gaming with me. I will finally get to play 7th! :woop:

And holy poo poo he surprised me with his 90%painted Knight!

How do these things Move Through Cover? My e-book does not really say anything different from 6th, but I thought it was fixed for some reason.

Ps, and this genius of a brother embedded a screw into waist and a nut into the hips for excellent transportation

:science:

Move through cover now works during the movement and the assault phases, as opposed to just the movement. During normal you roll an extra d6 to see how far you go, and you ignore penalties during the assault phase, and you ignore dangerous terrain tests.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Pacheeco posted:

I think the problem is that Super Heavy Walkers move like Walkers, so they take difficult/dangerous terrain tests when a normal Walker would because normal Walkers move like basic Infantry. However SHWs move 12". Move Through Cover just gives you 1 extra dice when determining how far you can move through difficult terrain and removes the -2" modifier when you assault through difficult/dangerous terrain. So for SHWs do you still do 3D6 take highest meaning they can only move 6" through terrain? Do you do 3D6 take two highest? Do you base it off inches moved so if 6" is 3D6 take 1 highest does 12" become 6D6 take 2 highest? Beasts, Cavalry and Jump units just plain ignore the effects of Difficult Terrain so the "3D6 take one highest" for movement doesn't effect their 12" move.

Do Super Heavy Walkers still get dropped to I1 for having to charge through difficult terrain? Imperial Knights don't have assault grenades and MTC doesn't change the Initiative drop.

Yeah looking it over I think you're reading it right here. SHW are 3d6 choose highest in difficult terrain. There's nothing in the rules about doubling it (I think mainly because it's all based off Infantry movement which is always 6") and looking online briefly I don't see anything different in the FAQs.

Same for I1. Avoid difficult terrain with knights, I guess?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

UberJumper posted:

I have a question, since nobody seems to know the answer. Does being unbound mean you can take super heavies and stuff from Escalation/Apoc?

Because his army is bullshit/not fun.

You can take them in Battleforged.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Cataphract posted:

So this picture of a "Slaaneshi" Wraithknight appeared a couple days ago on the GW:Bondi (a suburb in Sydney's East) Facebook page.

this kinda poo poo is bad enough when it's being made by internet denizens... but when its being made by a flipping GW store manager and then posted on one of the company's FB pages?

It's not just that it's horrible and uncomfortable and somehow promoted by an actual Games Workshop store - it's a terrible conversion, too, on a model with a ton of potential. The idea of a Chaos-possessed Wraithknight is really fantastic and the model's large enough that you've got a ton of space to implement it, and somehow this guy came out with "Glue wings on back, put sensor arrays coming out rear end, add terrible breasts".

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Lungboy posted:

Possible way to avoid jink saves: scattering blasts wouldn't allow a jink, as jinking is declared before rolling to hit, so a Serpent or whatever that wasn't the original target never gets the option. Am I missing something obvious?

"When selected as a target of a shooting attack" so yes.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Safety Factor posted:

This is probably a long-shot, but has anyone tried running a venerable land raider since 7th edition hit? I'm thinking that with the new damage table it'd be even harder to kill though I realize it wouldn't do anything to mitigate glancing hits. Is it worth the extra 30 points on top of an already expensive vehicle?

Edit: I'm not typically one for mathhammer, but I'm bored at work with Excel open. The upgrade would drop a close-range BS 4 meltagun shot from a 13% chance of scoring an explosion to 4.3%. That's assuming you'd only force a re-roll on an explosion result, but that's not bad at all.

Safety Factor posted:

It's actually possible to take a Deathwing vehicle in the normal heavy support slot thanks to the FAQ. I hadn't even thought of giving one to a regular Deathwing squad until now though. It would make a lot of sense in a Deathwing army since they'd benefit from that objective secured thing. Dedicated transports benefit from that, right? The thing is, I don't play full Deathwing since my typical 2+ saves would see me tabled in a couple of turns. My plan was to just cram a Deathwing crusader full of Deathwing knights led by a souped-up interrogator-chaplain. :getin: This is a terrible idea, but should be :black101:/fun as hell.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I guess scoring DV Land Raiders can be cute. I don't know what's in vogue for Deathwing lists these days but bog-standard Deathwing Terminators still are not very good and you're paying at least 480 points for that Land Raider.

Yes, I have absolutely done this and it is amazing (though deathwing knights are terrible so I just used LC/TH terminators with a jump pack chaplain instead). Park a 14 AV 4 HP reroll-pen-results objective secured Crusader and ventilate any opposing Troops that get close, while delivering crazy payload.

I think I posted it earlier in the thread but my list is:

Belial
Chaplain w/ jump pack, melta bombs
10x Termies w/ 2x HF
5x Termies w/ AC
5x Termies w/ AC
LRC w/ 7x Assault termies (4x TH)

The 3 walking squads all DW assault in, Belial with the flamers so they can be perfectly placed for the flamer templates, LRC zooms up the board; enemy gets 1 turn of shooting at the army and then you assault absolutely everything :getin:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Drake_263 posted:

...Is the dude on the right blowing bubblegum?

Seems he's not quite ready to kick rear end.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

S.J. posted:

They've always been I2, but Furious Charge used to give +1 I on the charge.

Actually, in 3rd they just doubled their initiative on charges, no furious charge - so they had I4 in the first round of combat (but S3). That said I haven't played against Orks since...3rd edition, so, no clue how they work now!

If I had a job and any money I would probably get into Orks as my next army.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Drake_263 posted:

And showing off my most recent project! Just need to finish some minor details on the two leftmost dudes and the banner and my Command Squad will be done. Woot.

Posting to request more pictures of this army! I think these guys look fantastic and I'd love to see more.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Believe it or not, this is the tolerable 40k group in town.

Wait your Imperial Knight is disallowed but a Warhound is fine?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Sistergodiva posted:

Ok, so I used to dabble in WH fantasy like 12 years ago. This last few days me and an old friend found our old horrible Lizardmen vs Bretonnia start kit dudes and his old wood elf stuff and had a really fun time painting them with way too big brushes and acrylics not made for miniatures.

Now I'm really in the mood to paint some miniatures, and while I could just pick some random cool miniature to paint, warhammer holds a spot in my heart. Looking at all the races Tau seems like something I would like to paint, I think it would be possible for it to actually not look like crap now that I know about drybrushing and washes etc. Thinking about just getting a unit for Fire Warriors or Pathfinders.

How does the ally system work? I read somewhere that Tau could pretty much have other races units in their army? Not that I'm ever probably going to paint enough for a whole army, but it would be fun to have something like Eldar and Space Marines and paint them to fit in with my Tau. How does this work, can I just use anything? Does it need a certain % of Tau? I'm also guessing I would want something that has good melee since that's what Tau is lacking? Any cool ideas for what to add?

I'm still trying to figure out what colors and brushes to get, but I guess that's more for the painting thread.

The ally system is "take hwatever you want to". If they're more or less friends they can have better or worse interactions (the "best" allies basically treat each other as being part of the same army, the worst have a chance to skip their turn when they're with X" of the other guys) but there are no requirements for army composition. If you want to have a "battleforged" army then each army you take has to fit a force org chart (so you could have a standard chart for your Tau and a standard for marines or a standard and an allies or a standard for marines, tau, and eldar). If you don't care about battleforged you can take any combination of any units you want including all heavy support and no leader/character models.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

God help me, I just walked into a local gaming store and bought the rules to this silly game. Prepare for a million questions about what army I should play and how all of this warhamming business works!

Ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay

Alternatively, buy from The War Store or your FLGS (my former FLGS ran the 20% War Store discount so I had best of both worlds). There is never a reason to buy directly from GW.

If you have questions about a specific army people here play pretty much everything so ask away.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Fix posted:

:siren:HEY SRM!:siren:

What…

in the hell…

is this?

Older RT bike with an old Commissar model on it, it's a conversion. I have a few of those with marines that are better scaled to it including one with a marine shooting to the side with a bolter.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Esser-Z posted:

So hey, would anyone be interested in playing via Vassal in the near future? I'd like to play some while I'm still in the process of acquiring my army!

Unrelated, I kinda wish I could just put normal skorchas on my meganobz instead of a kombi-skorcha. The shoota function isn't that useful on a unit of them, compared to getting to drop templates more than once, y'know?

What's Vassal?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Esser-Z posted:

Program for playing tabletop games online. There's a 40k plugin for it, Vassal40k, though it's for sixth, not seventh. That's easily worked around!

I don't have links handy at work, but I could grab 'em when I get home, unless somebody else does first. Google would also work. :v:

I'll look into it when I get home from work, but sure, I'd be up for a game. My email is chbenson at alum dot vassar dot edu, shoot me a line and we can figure it out.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

AbusePuppy posted:

Well, hopefully the new SW give them some worthwhile units that aren't Grey Hunters or Long Fangs. It's just really weird that it's so small (one HQ, ten troop models, five non-troops?) and doesn't even try to form a legal army from things.

How is it not a legal force? I don't play space wolves or orks but from what I can see:
SW
Wolf Lord (HQ)
5x Wolf Guard (Elites)
5x Grey Hunters (Troops)
5x Blood Claws (Troops)

Orks
Warboss (HQ)
Killa Kans (HS or Elites)
5x Nobz (Elites)
Grotz (Troops)

Alright, well I guess the Ork army is a legal allied detachment? But the SW is definitely legal, and is exactly what I'd expect from a starter.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

AbusePuppy posted:

I guess I was interpreting the SW half as 10x Grey Hunters, because I never actually see Blood Claws on the battlefield, but I could very easily be mistaken there.

The Ork half is pretty unquestionably not an actual army, though, since Nobz can't be troops anymore. That was part of the reason I was seeing the SW part as the same.

On an unrelated note: an army consisting of nothing but Allied Detachments cannot legally select a warlord, despite all of GW's jumping through hoops to try and avoid that problem. Oops.

Honestly the kit is almost exactly Dark Vengeance. The Marines are the same minus the 3 bikers, the Chaos are the same minus a troops choice (3 mini dreads instead of one full dread aside). I see the real issue being that it's $25 more than DV for, well, less. But, well, pricechat.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

SRM posted:

It's not really less. Yeah, it's fewer models, but with waaaaay more options and bits. It's a sidegrade.

I don't see how more options on given models is better or even equivalent to getting more models. I'd call having a fast attack option and another troops option more options than being able to put either a plasma gun or a melta gun in your wolf squad.

Even if I agree that it's a sidegrade, it's $25 more. Still a good deal for all the models ensemble, but it's way, way less of a good deal than DV was.

I do think the ork force is a little weird, the more that I look at it. It's an iconic...grot force, really. Kinda weird to have the starter Orks not have a single Boy, when presumably most Ork armies will be crawling with them.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

ineptmule posted:

So... am I missing something, or is the Ork Horde formation technically pointless?

You get a new FOC, but you lose Objective Secured.

You lose Objective Secured if you go Unbound anyway, so what's the point?

All formations have particular special rules or abilities - the battleforged FoC gives you the Warlord reroll and objective secured. I don't have the Ork codex but I think it gives hammer of wrath to units that are 10+ and some other special rules instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
So, Esser-Z and I got in a Vassal game today, 2k points, his Farsight list against my Iyanden list. This was one of his first few games of 40k and I think our real question was how should you play the all-crisis suit list? He had decent amounts of shooting but really couldn't survive the return fire - he managed to kill a wraithknight that refused to make any armor saves (failed 6 out of 7) and blew up a wave serpent with Farsight in close combat, but by the bottom of turn 2 I had killed all but 4 Crisis suits, 2 of the 3 broadsides, his allied commander and almost all of his drones.

Our lists for comparison:

Eldar
Spiritseer, attached to Wraithblades
Warlock, attached to Rangers
5x Wraithguard w/ D Scythes in Wave Serpent
5x Wraithguard in Wave Serpent
5x Wraithblades in Wave Serpent
5x Rangers
Crimson Hunter
3x Vyper with 2x Shuriken Cannon
Wraithlord w/ bright lance, flamers
Wraithknight w/ suncannon, scatter laser
Fire Prism

Tau
Farsight, attached to Crisis squad
Riptide w/ ion cannon, 2 drones
Ripdide w/ ion cannon, 2 drones
3x Crisis w/ Missile/plasma, each w/ marker + shield drone
3x Crisis w/ Missile/plasma, each w/ marker + shield drone
Crisis w/ dual fusion, marker + shield
Broadside w/ railgun + shield drone
Broadside w/ railgun + shield drone
Broadside w/ missles and more missiles + shield drone
Allied:
Commander w/ 2x flamers
3x Crisis Squad w/ 2x flamers, marker + shield drone

The crisis suits just seemed really flimsy, even with all the drone ablatives. Suggestions?

• Locked thread