Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Mechanicon round 1 result: 28-0. Him.

Worst player status: it's still me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

PierreTheMime posted:

:stonk:

Just a bout of bad luck or did they have some horrific grognard list that was just utterly depressing to fight?

Both. There's no CAD limit, so he had three.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Ghost Hand's gaming room is bigger than my apartment :(

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

I feel like if Synapse gave everything FNP 5+ in addition to what it does now, everyone would just shut up and play 'Nids.

Makes sense from a fluff perspective, too. The Hive Mind doesn't care about how much it hurts, silly little bug.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

raverrn posted:

Remember you need an extra charge for the focused part to work~

How's that?

I ask because I really don't know.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Mechanicon 2014 Trip Report

Mechanicon is a 40k (and Fantasy) tournament held just North of Philadelphia in Oaks, PA. It was two days, 5 games. In this post, I talk about my overall experience, the individual games, and will post pictures of pretty spacemen.

Overall, I had a great time. The tournament was well-organized, the terrain was beautiful, and there wasn't one Wave Serpent spam list in sight! I'll definitely return for next year. The venue was pleasant, and the tables were fantastic. They were only grouped by twos, so you could easily get around to the other side if you had to. The tournament was at 1850 points, and each list needed to be battle forged. However, there was no limit to how many CADs you could take, so there was still a good amount of exploitation.

So, 5 missions, each with different victory conditions. All of the missions had Slay the Warlord, Linebreaker, and First Blood in addition to their primary objectives.
1st mission: 6 objectives, each worth 3, scored at the end of the game. Dawn of War.
2nd mission: 2 objectives in each deployment zone, each worth 4, one objective in the exact center, worth 1. Hammer and Anvil.
3rd mission: Tactical objectives: draw one at 1st turn, draw 1 on any subsequent turns where the player starts without a card; one objective card at a time. Discarding as normal. Dawn of War.
4th mission: Kill Points. Dawn of War.
5th mission: Random objectives: 1 worth 4, 2 worth 3, 2 worth 2, 1 worth 1. Diagonal setup (whatever it's called).

I brought a mechanized AM list that looked a little like this:
CCS, 2 melta, 2 plasma
2 ML2 Psykers
2 Vet squads in Chimeras w/ 2 meltas
2 Vet squads in Chimeras w/ 3 plasmas
3 Armored Sentinels w/ plasma cannons
2 Vendettas
2 Leman Russes
1 Demolisher
You guys have all seen my army, so I won't spam you with pictures of it.

1st mission
My opponent's Army:

1 CAD Space Wolves, 1 CAD Grey Knights, 1 Allies Space Marines, Medium-sized bunker w/ escape hatch.

Totally got hosed in this one. His GK's dropped in and cleansing flamed most of my Chimeras, and his Centurions got out the escape hatch and started taking out my Russes. My inexperience with GKs and escape hatches really showed, here. Dude was nice, though. The army looked great, but I found out later it was not painted by him. Final score: 28-0, him.

2nd Mission
My opponent's army:

1 CAD Dark Eldar - the older codex. The new codex didn't make the rules cutoff date.

Lots of raiders, couple of ravagers, a razorwing. He seized the initiative and I thought I was reamed, but he proceeded to not hit or penetrate a single thing with all of his dark lances. My tanks had no problem on my turn, though. Highlights include my demolisher single-handedly destroying 2 ravagers and 2 raiders, and a shaken Chimera destroying the razorwing in one round of shooting, the turn it came in. Result: 21-4, me.

3rd mission
My opponent's army:

2 CADs Tyranids

The four Flyrants were all he needed to totally demolish me. I ended up killing one, but the other three completely wrecked my poo poo. The rest of his army did nothing but contest objectives. Still a fun game, though, dude was super nice. He actually lives near me, so we'll play again in the future. Result: 16-1, him.

4th mission
My opponent's army:

1 CAD CSM, 1 CAD Deamons

Belakor. That loving guy. This game was a ton of fun. Inexperience once again raised it's head because I had no idea beasts moved so drat fast. It was kill points so I had a bunch of crap in reserve. Started out bad, but I ended up picking up 7 KPs to his 9 (he got bonus pts for the win), so it turned out to be pretty close. Result 14-7, him.

5th mission
My opponent's army:

1 CAD Sapce Marines done up like Storm Troopers from Star Wars with TIE Fighter Stormtalons and a Lambda Shuttle Stormraven.

Best game of the tournament, right here. We were both well out of it, so we were able to focus on pure fun and action. Lots of things died, on both sides. Late game, my Vendettas proved to be awesome (again) and one of my Leman Russes just would quit kicking rear end. He had a Typhoon land speeder that would not stop kicking my rear end, though. Took out 2 chimeras and a squad all on it's own. Great game. Result: 25-3, me.

At the end of it, I actually won something! I was awarded with Best Overall (battle points + painting) for Astra Militarum! Tournament weekends are the best. I can't wait for my next one!

Here's a bunch of pictures of other armies:

This army was loving rad. Buzz Lightyear themed storm troopers!

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Lord Twisted posted:

Just out of interest goons:

What is your favourite unit in 40k, for whatever reason (style, performance on the tabletop, fluff, etc?)

The Leman Russ chassis. Giant lumbering tanks with big fuckoff guns are the best. I really can't get MBTs to be good, but I love using them anyways.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Bald Eagle Scourges are The Best Thing.

Ghost Hand posted:

My favorite unit in 40k...

Who are these guys?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Goon Meet for Adepticon?

I'm thinking about going.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Crosspost!

The Sex Cannon posted:

Finished my Aegis defense line last night! I also finished my scratch-built Adeptus Trashcanicus comms relay!

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Ugly John posted:

Ok, apparently I've been reading the Bad Painting/Modeling Thread way too much because I could have sworn I clicked on that thread instead of this one. Cue a couple of minutes trying to figure out how/where you modelled tits on a Defense Line :commissar:

Do like the relay, though.

What, you didn't find them?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

I got a Baneblade box, but I'm not sure which variant to make first (I will eventually have 2). I love the vanilla Baneblade, but what should the other one be? I'm leaning towards Doomhammer. Does anyone have any experience using these things?

Additionally, at NOVA they banned the use of the S10 ignores cover variants in the narrative campaign. That makes me want to stay away from those two variants (Hellhammer and Stormsword, I think). IS that sort of thing common in other clubs?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Rules-lawyery bullshit time:
Some dude on BoLS commented on an article claiming that Leman Russes with Ordnance weapons can fire their hull/sponson weapons at full BS if they fire before the ordnance weapon fires because the rulebook says that any weapon that fires after an ordnance weapon can only snap shoot. Is that indeed the case?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

That's what I thought, too.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

That's a lotta 6's.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Yeah, so this Shadowsword is gonna be pretty big...

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Whats that weird looking thing in the back some sort of radio.

It's one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gen...=item4d2758e013

During baseball season I listen to games while I'm painting on it. Because I'm 60 years old.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

I played a game against Direwolf on Sunday. He's a great dude and a great blah blah blah blah

There's only one loving thing you need to know about this game:

My company commander, Major Zdarsky, killed a Khorne lord during overwatch with a laspistol. He calmly drew his pistol, stared down the sights, and put a lasbolt through that heretical gently caress's eye while his two plasma gunners fired wildly and probably pissed themselves.

He's a stone cold motherfucker, that Zdarsky.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Heavy flamers in Tac squads are the bee's knees.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Cataphract posted:

Man, I totally missed out on posting a final photo of my finished orks up on the IC forum... Nevertheless goons, here's 3,000 points of orks that I painted all over the last year. I'm pretty proud of myself.

I've still got a few more units that I want to add; some bikes and like 50 more boyz... but for now I'm calling the job done.

I know you live in Australia, but please come to DC so I can pit my 3000 points of Steel Legion against your 3000 points of Orks. I even have a superheavy!

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

My BS 3 meltas and plasmas have no problem wrecking poo poo, but god forbid a large blast actually hit something. I think all of my tankers are permanently drunk.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

That looks so badass.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

7thBatallion posted:

All right. Tyranids may be good. Most importantly, did I miss a beautiful Broken Loose post?

Check yourself, man.

Superheavy crosspost time:

The Sex Cannon posted:

Is it Sunday? Did I stay up until almost 3 AM to finish my Shadowsword even though I have work in the morning? Yup.

This thing is loving awesome. Huge, too.

Even Russes look like babies next to this thing!

I'm going to have a lot of fun blowing up my friends' titans at our huge Apoc game in January.

Cataphract, come to DC so I can shoot your Stompa with this Shadowsword.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Enough recast chat!

Who wants money?

I want to give a certain special goon real american dollars in exchange for one Leman Russ dozer blade. I recently gave away the three I had to Tuxedo Jack and it's funny to me that I need one now.

I'm just really tired of my Demolisher getting immobilized way the gently caress away from what it needs to shoot.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

ghetto wormhole posted:

PM me your address and I'll send you one for postage costs.

PM sent!

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Boon posted:

Lots and lots of lame GW chat in here so here are some models because I finally got off my rear end and finished painting something.

Your models look good and you should feel good.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

Crossposted from the Oath thread. I made a thing!

Not sure if he'll ever get used in game, but it's nice to have the option. Don't know if I'll convert some more and complete the set though :orks101:

That's fantastic. Great job!

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Do any NOVA/DC/MD Goons want to get together and play some 40k tomorrow? I only have to go in to work for like 5 minutes, and my family doesn't hang out until Christmas Day, so I kinda don't have too much to do.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

My homeboys tried to warn me, but that tank I made got me so horny:

The Sex Cannon posted:

I like big guns, and I cannot lie. You other hams can't deny.

And a special thank you goes to ghetto wormhole who sent me this dozer blade (pictured here mounted on my Demolisher) for naught but a smile.

Thanks again, ghetto wormhole. You truly made this a ham-mas to remember.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

BuffaloChicken posted:

Real nice, straightforward BL scheme in that last post. Understand you were on a deadline, but maybe dabbing a bit of Mithril Silver on the extreme gold highlights and then a few dots of Agrax Earthshade around the raised bits would give some more depth?

Finally finished my converted Malanthrope, made from the Hive Tyrant from TheChirurgeon. Thanks a ton, dude!

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: BuffChix is the best ham around.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Honestly? Every single vehicle. I got IA 1 Second Edition for Christmas, and every vehicle reads like they're loaned out from the Mechanicus. Anything you do will probably be cannon.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Von Humboldt posted:

Yeah, it will generally be up to you to FORGE THE NARRATIVE through sick rear end conversion and paint jobs. Straken or an Inquisitor as some sort of head honcho Mechanicus rep, Ratlings as Servo-skulls controlled by a Tech Priests (been wanting to do that for awhile myself,) and so on. The fluff is generally that Mechanicus affiliated IG/AM just looks out for its Mechanicus connections by shuffling good information or loot over and that these regiments have good (and sometimes rarer) equipment. Maybe bring out some of the less used Russ variants, like the Plasma one?

The Executioner is legit good, especially if you can give it Preferred Enemy. Take a Steel Host and keep it within 12" of the Tank commander and your opponent has to deal with a Serious Problem.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Any DC/NOVA/MD goons want to play some 40k tomorrow? I don't have to be at work for more than 5 minutes and I don't really have anything to do until nighttime.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Where do you live and when can we play?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Since we're doing the whole "army shots" thing, here's what I'm taking to an Apoc game this weekend:

The 59th Armageddon, Beta Company!

Major Zdarsky's Command squad, 3rd Sentinel Squad, Shadowsword Steel Spectre.

1st platoon, MBT, Vanquisher, Vendetta, Quad-Gun and shields.

2nd platoon, MBT, Demolisher, Vendetta, Adeptus Trashcanicus comms relay, shields.

Comes in at 3120 points (everyone's supposed to have 3000, but not everyone can cover so I "borrowed" and extra 120).

EDIT - Gosh darn it, BuffChick. Will you and your brother please get jobs in DC or something so we can ham it up?

The Sex Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 31, 2014

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Lord Twisted posted:

Those Orks and Guard absolutely OWN. drat!

If we're doing army shots, I'm reposting these shots...

Is this a homebrew chapter? What's it called?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

Leeds, UK, shoot me a PM if you're ever in the area and we'll sort something out.

There might be an Atlantic Ocean between the two of us.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Sup, hams? I hope y'all like pictures. These are all from an Apoc game I attended last weekend. The Steel Legion are mine. Highlights from the game include:
- Transcendent C'Tan being taken out turn 1 by Sternguard.
- 9 Obliterators and 5 Deamon Princes precision deep striking in my backfield and managing to not kill a single thing, not even a Chimera.
- My Shadowsword taking out 4 Land Raiders, a Spartan, a Baneblade, a bunker, a void shield generator, and surviving point-blank shots from 3 combi-melta terminators and 2 obliterators, and then several subsequent turns of shooting and CC as it took a while to take them all out.
- My Master of Ordnance killing a loving Warhound Titan.
- The guy with the Imperial Fists next to me not losing a single marine the whole battle, and having a TL AC dreadnought tie up a Bloodthirster for three turns in CC.

My team lost, but the corner defended by the Steel Legion and the Imperial Fists rejected all invaders with contemptuous ease.

My pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/7O11m

The organizer's picture albums:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tjkopena/sets/72157650067756576/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tjkopena/sets/72157650148319505/

The Battle Report written by the organizer:
http://www.rocketshipgames.com/blogs/tjkopena/2015/01/40k-apocalypse-the-fall-of-kimball-prime/

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Ghost Hand posted:

Some more pictures from the Apoc game last weekend...

http://imgur.com/a/D5eYL

Yeah, tell us about all the awesome things that happened in the battle!

Also, was there anyone there who's a regular on the podcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Pendent posted:

I've been vaguely wanting to get into 40k for a couple of years now and was finally convinced to go watch a game by a coworker last night.
It looked amazingly fun, although watching his Guardsmen get incinerated en masse by some sort of chaos dragon made me rethink playing Imperial Guard.

After browsing GW's site I'm looking to start a Blood Angels army. They have amazing looking models and I like the overall concept. Can anybody throw a few pointers my way for getting started? I'm not clear on all of what I need to buy and the lack of a good starter set for Blood Angels makes things difficult. Do I need to Space Marines Codex in addition to the Blood Angels Specific codex?

You do not need the "base" Space Marine Codex. All you need is the BA dex, and you should probably pick up a rulebook, too.

I'd go ahead and start off with a simple Tactical squad (the new BA Tac Squad box is baller) to get the hang of assembling and painting. There are a few cool web bundles on GW's site that can help you get started, too. The one that's best for newbies is probably:
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Blood-Angels-All-New-Releases-Web-Bundle
...but it looks like it's out of stock at the moment.

My advice, and please keep in mind that this is specific to me, is that you ought not to jump in super hardcore. Start small, get used to the hobby aspects of 40k, and if it's something you enjoy, go full retard with it. I'd hate for you to buy a crap ton of models and then you figure out you hate painting them.

I like to put aside an hour or so a night for hobby time, and I've been able to kick out a ton of models in the last year or so. I also generally only buy one thing at a time, waiting until the previous model/squad/whatever is painted before I go out and but more stuff, but that's really just a way to incentivize painting. It's also a lot of fun to listen to 40k-themed podcasts while painting; it can be nice to be immersed in the hobby. The best is Ghost Hand's The Independent Characters.

Welcome to the hobby!

• Locked thread