Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
All of that looks very nice but the cream on the helmet deserves a special mention for how you hit it out of the park :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

AbusePuppy posted:

Tanks will generally not be able ot climb up ruins because you are still limited to only putting models where they can actually fit. Some folks are gonna desperately try and cram their Leman Russ into the upper level of a ruin by wedging it in there, but I think we can safely say that is a "No, sorry, it's not going to stay there and you know it" situation.

If you take Creed, though, you can claim that the air conditioning roof vent is actually a Leman Russ, and the fact that the actual model won't balance there is irrelevant.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Do we know if there will be a new starter box or just a repackage of dark vengeance?

New starter seems really unlikely from everything I know; the assumption was that they were going to put a 7E mini book in the DV box and leave all the minis, etc. the same but for now they seem to have gone with just posting a disclaimer that you'll need to spend $85 if you want to play the game with up-to-date rules :laffo:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Boon posted:

I'm currently re-doing my Dire Avenger scheme and I ginned up a rough (unfinished) test model. What do you think of this?

Looks good. Is that a pastel yellow or a bone color you've got going on there for the helmet and such? It seems like it could be either depending on which way the picture's colors are going.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The death's head is used by a lot more people than just the SS, though. I wouldn't have known that that particular one was the one used by the SS until after I clicked your condescending link.

But yeah, that's pretty vile now that it's in context.

On those dataslates, I'm going to start vomiting so hard if dataslate special rules are how they finally fix deep strikers not being able to do more than shoot and hold their dicks. Sure, those guys can't assault from deep strike but I can see that coming now that they've established a quasi-precedent.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Cataphract posted:

It seems pretty clear that they're not going allow assault from deep strike. Any one that could do it in 5th (vanguard vets, daemons) got the ability taken away in 6th.

And since the ability to assault from reserve/outflank and from stationary vehicles got rolled back it seems very unlikely that they'll add the ability to assault from DS to anyone.

I know you're a pretty GW-positive person in these threads, relatively speaking anyway, so I'm not surprised, but you have much more faith in them than me if you think that adding the ability back in via charging $6 for the rules of a "Tyrannic War Vanguard Veterans" or some poo poo is something they would not do.

That's not to say they will do it, the roulette wheel at GW HQ might never land that way, but if they do get the bug in their ear to do it, I don't see what about their recent actions would give you the idea that any sort of logical consistency or game design principles will be a barrier to them doing it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Have you considered that perhaps you're too GW-negative?

Not usually, but I just did, and decided that nope, I'm not. When they do something decent, I'll reassess my viewpoint. I mean, it's not like I've been this GW-negative for my entire career as a consumer of tiny plastic persons.

Hollismason posted:

What if the Swastika goes to the left, that's like a Reverse Swastika.

This swastika negativity is putting a real cramp on my homebrew Hindu chapter, I tell you what.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

starkebn posted:

It says pretty clearly in the wiki article you linked that totemkompf just means "deathshead" as used by pirates, old prussian units, nazis, some american troops, pretty sure other military units (especially special forces) etc. I'd give them benefit of the doubt rather than rolling out my 'Jump to Conclusions' mat straight away.

Well, they literally copied the exact same death's head symbol used by the SS. That's a smoking gun right there. There still exists a tiny possibility that they just googled death's head and picked the first one they saw without paying attention to its context, but I don't think you have to give them the benefit of the doubt given how incredibly specific that is, any more than in the nazi-vs.-hindu swastika case.

It isn't like this guy painted a jolly roger and people are jumping on it saying 'well the SS also used skulls and bones.'

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

I always love how GW seems actively hostile to it's customers. Not passively hostile like a lot of companies, *actively* hostile. Like they are trying to drive themselves out of business. I don't really follow many other war games, is there something out there that can scratch the 'paint my pretty mans'/lore itch like WH40k does? Because I have to think those guys get around to read whatever new action GW has taken and high five each other.

There totally are other games with very pretty miniatures, but the 40K setting/aesthetic does scratch a sort of itch that nothing else really does, aside from third party models that are fairly blatant knockoffs of said aesthetic.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I wish there was a game club where I live (Chicago) , so that I could meet a cute boy and play Warhammer and make out.

Or whatever.

I don't know if I'm cute but I'd play warhams with you ;-*

(unfortunately I'm in Kansas City, which, while a stone's throw away in U.S. geographical terms, is much too far for casual gaming)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Aparantly there's a GW shop on iTunes now. Apple and GW, somehow that's a really fitting marriage.

Appropriate though it may be I'm frankly astonished they would hook up like that instead of trying to make their own lovely overpriced proprietary system for whatever it is they're selling via iTunes.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

drat, I should have done that. Welp, next time I'll remember to do that.

After a good experience getting some Herocliques from Ebay, i went looking through the 40k offers and, uh are people aware that charging $10 less than then GW price for things, but haven't 10$+ shipping on things isn't really a deal? At least for people who live locally to a GW or LGS that sells gw stuff.

Just like "pro painted" stuff, they're either dumb themselves or banking on a dumb target market, and it's a tossup as to which.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Tbf putting a casing on a munition where it's completely useless, just for looks, is the sort of thing the imperium would totes do.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

PeterWeller posted:

Bolters fire self-propelled mini-rockets that don't need casings, but they have them anyway because a rain of spent brass looks cool.

The only logic 40K weapons operate on is the logic of AWESOME.

This is what I was trying to say earlier. This guy understands.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Cataphract posted:

Honestly this is texas sharpshooting at its best. A lovely nid codex and suddenly it's proof of a massive anti bad guys/xenos conspiracy.

Kind of have to agree. The turd codices of 6E are pretty evenly split between the faction--Tyranids for xenos, Dark Angels for Imperium, and Chaos Marines are badguys but they're also in power armor with spikes so let's call it splitting the difference as to whether GW's on their side or not :v: (also to be fair they seem not to be in the same category as the other two when it comes to overall badness, just have a lot of worthless units)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

ghetto wormhole posted:

GW should release major online updates to old codexes like other companies because EVERYONE is using the internet these days. But also a significant portion of their customers don't even think about looking at the rules online or in print before buying kits! *honks nose like a car horn*

Uh, what? The fact that some low-information players won't look at internet updates anyway has no bearing on whether or not making rules updates available is a good practice.*

Also, in general (not just ghetto wormhole) is there an actual competing hypothesis for why they'd keep the full codex under wraps for an additional week after putting out the models? Is there only one caravan's worth of camels for them to send the packages out on and they have to make a round trip and reload?

*edit: okay, I won't say it has zero bearing, obviously it is less of a windmill slam for the company if 50% of your customers check for updates vs. 100%, but this does not actually change the calculus from "make rules materials available" to "not" unless you are a lovely corporation of bean counters and oh wait :lol:

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 9, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Fix posted:

Because they get to send you twice or three times as many emails this way. It triples the amount of news they have.

Not a bad answer. Here's a follow-up question: why not then release the codex first and let the customers spend a week or two getting hype for the new plastic (perhaps pre-ordering it)?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Fix posted:

Because they'd rather you buy plastic during the hype before you buy the codex and realize you hate it.

But the point is that I've been asking if there are any alternative explanations for what GW is doing, ones that don't involve them trying to trick people into buying models with lovely rules.

The point being that (certain) people respond to the observations--that the release pacing appears to be a cynical strategy to sell people lovely units before they fully realize that they're poo poo--by going into GW-defense mode. I was wondering if any of that camp could put forth explanations that don't make GW look bad.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 9, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah this isn't really any different from Wizards previewing cards from an upcoming set in the 4 weeks prior to release, and it's a smarter strategy by far than releasing models after the codex comes out. It's extremely unlikely that it's a calculated move designed to mask bad rules because, as was pointed out, it's very unlikely that Games Workshop knows/thinks the rules it made are bad.

The thing is, I completely understand the hype cycle. As you say, Wizards does it with Magic. What Wizards doesn't do is begin selling you cards, as in taking your money for them, a week or more before you have a reasonable amount of information to decide whether a particular product is a good buy or not. Wizards doesn't, for example, expect you to buy a new Commander deck product with only one or two cards in it spoiled. They probably actually still could push it out to stores and have the casual market scoop them up off the shelves of Target, but they don't; they provide full spoilers, often at least a month in advance. The comparison between games is an imperfect one for a variety of reasons, and I'm perfectly willing to say Wizards's poo poo stinks when it does (my custom title is a result of this) but in terms of customer-facing philosophy they are often leaps and bounds behind GW. Obviously no knowledge of the relative value of units will be perfect until the metagame has had months to shake out (nor even then) but hopefully the difference between a white dwarf article with the stats for some units, and the full codex with all the units and army rules in context, is obvious to everyone.

I should also clarify that I don't believe, at all, that GW deliberately makes lovely rules. Even they are presumably smart enough to realize that they'd rather make the next Riptide than the next Darktalon. What I can believe--and this isn't something I have a smoking gun on, it's just a hypothesis that fits the observed facts as well as anything I see--is that they realize that they're still consistently producing lemon units and rules, even in 'good' codices, and rather than take steps to address this (good playtesting, or just switching to a living-rules system) they apply the bandaid fix of keeping useful customer information low. This isn't just something they do with their newest plastic kit--it's a trend in their business decisions, from denying that third party supplies are a legitimate presence in the market, to shutting down their social media and telling you to buy magazines to look at the pretty pictures.

No, it's not a solid or long-term solution to the problem of "why are some of our units bad :saddowns:" but what about today's GW makes you think they're in the business of solid, long-term solutions?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Speckled Jim posted:

So ive finished painting my first 10 tac marines and i have a stupid question. Im painting imperial fists and to make this feasable im using an airbrush to paint all the yellow parts. Also im painting everything before assembly. Got some good results but when it comes to asssembly i have trouble matching the short arm without a hand to the hand on the boltgun. Ive seen some WIP shots of other peoples marines and they have the hand already attached to this arm. Have they cut the hand off the boltgun and glued it to the wrist already?

They might be shots of previous editions' kits where the hand and grip was an integral part of the bolter arm and the bolters themselves were simply missing the grip (or had a grip that you had to cut off to put it on the hand).

The arm that ends at the wrist, with the hand molded into the boltgun bit, is a new thing for 6E space marine kits (at least for power armor; I think some terminator kits were using this system earlier).

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Cataphract posted:

I just saw the EDM Games Workshop sent out about unbound armies

wait what

*checks*

:lol: they aren't even taking any chances as to whether people will start thinking up armies full of tanks and crap, they're hitting that poo poo right on the nose with these "army collections."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Speckled Jim posted:

I had a feeling it would be something like this. I was certain I'd just misplaced a sprue with the extra set of arms with hands. I suppose Ill just keep goin the way I am. at least this way i can wiggle things around and make them fit. The last thing i need is a marine holding a boltgun gangster style because i cocked up the angle of the hand

Heres some Fists for your time. Sorry bout the lighting, worst lightbulbs ever and its raining outside

http://imgur.com/a/f3bL0

Oh hey. Echoing what BULBA said, your yellow looks fantastic to me.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2014/06/10/dawn-of-war-united-in-hatred/

For those who haven't read the latest blogpost from ADB I almost recommend you do because it's really great.
And now I want to reinstall Dawn of War for that part.

White Scars dreadnought, immersion ruined.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah please don't anyone kill themselves. :smith:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Horse Heresy.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I know expecting goons to argue with full intellectual honesty is kind of a nonstarter, but comparing conversion/3rd party bits to lego men is a local high water mark for disingenuousness nonetheless.

Also converting those flash gits from your "100 extra Orkz" is exactly what people ought to do, the unjustified logical leap is thinking you should buy GW's shiny new shrink wrapped bullshit to do it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Whenever the "it's a luxury hobby" talking point gets raised to defend prices (usually in regards to 40k or MTG) it always seems to miss the point that it doesn't actually prove anything in context--you can still make an apples-to-apples comparison with other products in the same industry to show that prices are egregious.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Drake_263 posted:

Can we not get into the whole price debate again? I agree that GW's pricing policy is poo poo, but we get the same argument every.. single.. release, and with the new release schedule it's getting old hearing the same complaints EVERY loving WEEK.

Just as a final note that's more meta than about prices per se: maybe folks should post about prices (one way or the other) in the GW death pool thread instead. That's what I tried to do when I had something to say about Kaysette's original post, but then the conversation took off in here anyway. :frogbon:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

adamantium|wang posted:

Bahahaha get the gently caress out of here GW

Those are Canadian prices, right?

Not that the US prices aren't similarly nutty.

(Seriously though maybe we should move pricechat over to the death pool thread)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

Welp, I seriously talked with a buddy about getting into 40k this week and playing Orks. One look at the prices for the new stuff and I don't have to worry about that :tipshat:

Ebay. Seriously. Prices will probably be higher than usual on used orks because of the imminent release, but I'd be astonished if you couldn't still find some boyz to start playing with. Or buy Mantic or Kromlech or something (Kromlech may not save you much money but you're at least supporting the little guy). 40k aesthetics are still great and the rules are at least a wash, so don't let the lovely company ruin all your fun.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

At this point Kromlech and Forgeworld are cheaper more baller options

What a world we live in

At this point I just want Kromlech or Spellcrow to start making complete notmarine lines like Anvil does (I enjoy Kromlech's aesthetics a little better). Spellcrow does make a complete plague marine, I think, but aside from that it seems like 90% of the poo poo is legs and shoulder pads for some reason.*

*I know the reason, it's because it's supposed to fit with GW/FW upgrade kits that are mainly torsos, but still.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Hollismason posted:

See that's not something I am super familiar with is Non-GW "GW" lines of miniatures that are good. I'd love to get some different guys for my Chaos army to serve as cultists and some Space Marines that look Chaosy.

edit:

Woah, Kromlech has some bad rear end Orks , I mean Orcs.

There are a lot of different ranges out there but the problem, at least for marines, is that a) most of them aren't complete figures (or don't make enough parts to assemble a complete figure, rather) and b) a lot of them are off-model in some noticeable way. In particular, I still have yet to find a third party backpack that doesn't break my sense of immersion, though for the specific case of plague marines, Spellcrow's come drat close. Anvil has the problem with backpacks and the backs of the legs also look completely wrong, but everything else of theirs is great. All Kromlech's stuff is passable but their (marine) line still doesn't include torsos, arms, bolters, or non-niche heads/backpacks. Puppetswar makes some okay shoulderpads and heads but pretty much all their "marine" bodies are just completely off-model as any sort of Astartes power armor, though you could possibly use them for other things.

For guards and cultists, there are some better options. Anvil has at least two lines that could make awesome cultists, the House Crowmantia and Tox Trooper lines. The only problem might be that I think they're a bit skinnier than GW humans, more of a realistic scale than the heroic scale Imperial Guard standard. That might not be a problem for some folks though, or it could even be a feature rather than a bug. And of course Victoria does figures that are pretty much spot-on for Imperial Guard variants and could become Cultists too very easily (I bought a set of her Beastman guardsmen to make into cultists and they are awesome).

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 14, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Hrmm there seems to be quiet a large demand for large breasted Imperial Guard figures that GW isn't recognizing.

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only DD.

And there's Victoria, which makes me happy :unsmith:

...I still haven't made good on my resolution to buy more from her because I need to find room in the monetary and painting budgets :smith:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

AgentF posted:

There is no need to move pricechat anywhere because the prices aren't just consistently worse but are getting worse and worse over time. People are bringing it up because their already low expectations continue to be broken. This is news and it's a central part of the game that should not be sidelined.

I wouldn't argue that it should be sidelined just because the GW diehards don't like being reminded of it, but I think there's a legitimate argument to be made that industry/business drama (of any sort) can derail discussion from strategy, models, etc. Since there's explicitly already a thread that is more or less dedicated to GW as a corporation swirling around the toilet, moving it there could be a good solution.

I personally wouldn't care if it stayed here, of course, but every time someone dares to bring it up here there's always folks complaining about the discussion in turn, so I'd just as soon just duck that whole process.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Not sure why NTRabbit linked to the Deadzone (skirmish game, for those who don't know) orcs rather than Warpath, but if you go to Warpath it's a whopping 20 orcs for 15 GBP (or 10 for 12.50 but why would you ever do that?).

Not gonna contest the observation that Mantic's orcs are noticeably different in model than GW's. It'll be a matter of individual sensibilities whether that's tolerable or desirable.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

xutech posted:

The funny thing is....The old Slaaneshi gifts gave you one breast, because Slaanesh was a Hermaphrodite.

Hermaphrodite, at least in common usage, can also mean both breasts plus male genitals, or just both sets of genitals, or a number of other things. Don't ask me how I've come by this knowledge :suicide:

edit: also, and this is into :goonsay: territory at this point, but it always bothered me that Slaanesh (at least in model lines, and to a large extent the written lore as well) seemed to be about getting your crab claws and weird boobs off an assembly line, rather than diverse manifestations of excess and perceived beauty.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 14, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Oh believe me, the fact that the game universe literally attempts to define deviation from norms on gender presentation as the hallmark of an evil god is its own delightful can of worms :allears:

But this isn't queer theory class and I wouldn't be fully qualified to teach it if it was.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Deciding to stop fully exploring the mixture of positive and negative characteristics in each Chaos god is one of the more disappointing choices they ever made, from a creative standpoint.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

AbusePuppy posted:

H
A
W
T

I'd get my male gaze all over that, if you know what I mean.

I'll play 30K when an actual xenos race gets introduced. :colbert:

Wouldn't 30K xenos be pretty much equivalent to 40K xenos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

AbusePuppy posted:

You could say the same about Marines as well.

Really? Legiones Astartes have many significant differences from their brothers ten thousand years hence: organization, technology, Primarchs still kicking around, &c. Have the Eldar or Orks changed as significantly over the same time period, names and faces aside?

• Locked thread