Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Karandras posted:

We got all the way to page 4 before a penis sheath reference, I think we're doing pretty well this time around.

Does anyone have the link to that weirdo's kickstarter comments handy, I really need to feature that on Your Terrible Hobby.

Also gently caress you whoever mentioned ebay I just logged in and ended up buying that mail-order captain.

Going to see what the new Orks book is like before I decide whether to bother buying 7th though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

ijyt posted:

But in otha news, its da new stompa.

loving hell I'm trying to hate the hobby and stop collecting over here.

I'm definitely not quietly looting a Land Raider in a pit of self-loathing.

Also important request does anyone have photos of Sole.Sushi's vommarine model saved? I found the relevant posts in the P&M thread but the pictures have vanished into imgur oblivion. I figured I'd ask the thread rather than PM as I can't remember seeing him post in months.

Edit:

Tadhg posted:

That was Sole Sushi's vomarine. I have it saved somewhere, and can post it tomorrow when I have access to my computer again.

Sweet. (Look at me missing a whole new page of posts because I'm smart!)

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Now that I've wiped most of the blood off it and photographed it, I'm going to have to interrupt people failing to spot dakka posts with this important looting in progress:

Obviously still a ton of building to do, let alone plates and rivets.

(Not pictured: Top secret deffrolla and drivers cab)

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Thundercloud posted:

So are they ever going to release the ork codex? Has anyone seen the drat thing?

Is it coming out in July?

I don't like this new 'release all the miniatures and then the army book' thing because I'd like to see what I need to complete my army and then make any decisions.

The drip release is a bit annoying on this one. Feels like the longest we've gone without seeing a codex, or is it just bias from me because I care about Orks way more than anything else? I guess with Guard we had that largely worthless Tempestus mini-dex first so it took longer to see the main codex.

I'm not going to get any Flash Gitz until I've seen whether or not they're going to pack them in an army box with the other new poo poo. Will be interesting to see if they shove a character model in that is otherwise unavailable, as is their habit... Except those usually go in boxes of old poo poo not new stuff.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Here's a couple of semi-rough test models I've just finished. Trying to decide on a scheme to use for my next army. The Ultramarine was easy to do but looks a bit flat. The Fist pops more but was a bit of a poo poo to paint and I'm not sure how well it will translate to vehicles. I'd also need to add another layer of highlighting to the yellow after the glaze because of how it flattened them down.

They are both awesome, I think Ghost Hand has a bunch of Forge World decals on his ultras which might help if they feel a bit bland to you.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

SRM posted:

I think these were actually the very first models released for 40k, although they were before Warhammer 40k was actually a thing. They were adventurers for roleplaying games or something of the sort:

Oldham confirming that those were definitely the first couple of minis. LE1 Space Marine. I think the Ork was LE3... There was a bunch of other random stuff in the "Limited Edition" line like "constipated dwarf".

There were several other Space Marines done with the pirate-boot greaves style - I think by Bob Naismith? - before the arrival of the bell-bottom power armour we know today. Pretty sure all those were pre-RT releases, and didn't hang around that long once the new style was established with RTB01.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Just about finished ruining this Land Raider kit with knives and glue:

Now to break out the household emulsion!

As an aside: Any UK goon have a metal Ghazghkull they wouldn't mind getting shot of? For some reason I've never picked him up, and gently caress getting him in Finecast. I have no fear of pinning.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Have some Morkanaut progress:

Removing the skull from the doors is fairly tedious. Anyone thinking of doing something similar, note that around the bottom part of the skull the surface of the door is bowed in a little bit. After you've sanded the last of the teeth away you've actually got a little dent to fill if you want it flat.

Didn't have to sacrifice a whole other kit for the base by the way - you get left with spare outer hull parts if you build a Deimos pattern Rhino.

As well as the obvious missing bits, I need to restore the rivets lost when sanding away the door skull, and build up grit around the scrap on the base.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Those are some really legit models. So are the nobz.

And yeah, modelling > gaming for the most part.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

ijyt posted:

Ugh, I have 35 tucked away that need building/stripping/painting. But I got burned out by the hot weather and my Skaven. :(

Unrelated, I god drat love GW's customer support. Free £5 because an item wasn't actually in-stock.

I didn't actually remember reading that it was supposed to be numbered anywhere.

I'm also secretly hoping that they just send out 1000 stickers with the "warboss" and "lotz" glyphs on them.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Fix posted:

God drat it SRM, you glorious bastard.

Yes, this. That lurid green display board. That, that... everything.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

this reminds me: is the big mek stompa still legal? I found it weird that they had the gorkanaut, the morkanaut and the stompa but not the mek stompa in the codex. I was halfway through building one, and I'd really hope the lifta droppa is still legit.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd say not without a FW update. Aren't they like 600 points?

Current Big Mek Stompa rules would be the ones in the 6th ed Apocalypse book for, I think, 830 points.

If you wanted one in not-Apocalypse you could build a custom stompa from IA8. Forge World's Escalation FAQ made them a Lord of War choice, presumably their 7th FAQ will do the same.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Lungboy posted:

Bollocks, I knew I should have ordered a Stormclaw box as soon as they went live. Every decent discount seller in the UK has sold out, and the mini books are going for £25 on eBay already.

I think it's more stuff to file under "GW doesn't know what the gently caress." I went into my local shop and pre-ordered one, they said they'd already ordered 24 so I should be good for it. Apparently the rep had asked if they were sure they wanted that many because they don't have a clue how many people are waiting on the mini-rulebook.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Esser-Z posted:

Scratchbuilds and conversions are the heart of an Ork army. I really should convert my Battlewagons instead of buying them. Would've converted my buggies, but the Mantic Raptor was PERFECT for them.

On that note, what're the rough dimensions of a Battlewgon? Need to know how big I'm looking for when I get ready to build some!

You should bookmark this: http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=50382

I would still strongly recommend getting at least one new-in-box BW kit, it's really worth it for the bits you can apply to other builds, and because studying the kit first hand gives you a much better handle on appropriate scaling for hatches etc.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Supposedly the next WD has Dark Vengeance in it, so maybe as soon as the 26th for a new version of that.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

While I wasn't arguing on the internet today, I found I had plenty of time to assemble some kans. Sucks that the kan kit is so stingy with weapons. Handy that you get so many spare racks of missiles in the Stormtalon kit.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

SRM posted:

Also I had an idea that would have been an on-topic potential brush with greatness too. So Dawn of War: Soulstorm is well remembered for its awful, awful voice acting, which I capitalized on in my dumb cartoons. Iron Lore studios, the company that developed it, was actually in Boston before they went under. I figured "Hey, maybe the voice actor for Boreale is still in town and works cheap, since that performance was awful and I could hire him to do original voice work for future Dawn of Awesome cartoons!" I looked him up, and it turns out it's Scott McNeil, who has voiced almost everybody in the Dawn of War games as well as appearing in every anime ever: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0573926/

So yeah, I think he's probably out of my price range.

So you're going to kickstart it then?

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

They'll probably be sticking all the non-GK stuff into a simultaneously launched Codex supplement for an extra £25 even if it makes the main book tiny.

Probably adding Scions instead of henchmen and minus the two Inquisitors that don't have models because gently caress you if you converted any of those things.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

I'm trying to decide on my Ork list for the goonpile on Cataphract this week. Sounds like we're playing at 1500, and probably fairly casual. I'm trying to stick to using stuff I have painted because I'm a fop and it's going to be on fancy Warhammer World tables.

I'm thinking this is my core stuff, which is 1170 and needs another troops choice:

HQ
Warboss (TL Shoota, Klaw, Eavy Armour, Bosspole) 97
Painboy (Orderly, Bosspole) 60
Mek (Kustom Mega Blasta) 20
Mek (Kustom Mega Blasta) 20

Troops
18 Slugga Boyz + Nob (Bosspole, Klaw) 154
18 Slugga Boyz + Nob (Bosspole, Klaw) 154

Elite
10 Nobs (6 basic, 1 with PK+Waaagh banner, 1 with PK, 1 with Big Choppa) 255
+Battlewagon(2 Big Shootas, Deffrolla, RPJ) 135

Heavy
Battlewagon (2 Big Shootas, Deffrolla, RPJ) 135 (Still painting this so replacing may be an option)
Battlewagon (2 Big Shootas, Ram, Kannon, RPJ) 140

Not sure if the meks are actually that useful TBH, they would go with the boyz mobs in the two HS wagons, so can't do more repairing once they disembark with the mob and get stuck in.

Current concerns would be that I don't have enough troops (obviously), not enough anti-vehicle and no anti-air.

I can scrape a 20-man shoota mob together, if I paint a couple of guys. There's enough extra sluggas that I could bump a mob to 30. Got a couple of rokkit boys and a couple of big shootas.

I have a couple of dozen grots so those can fill out any other troop slots if there's points left.

I think I may have to speed-build some mek guns. I have 3 for some reason, I'm thinking a traktor or two but not sure if three is too much.

Other poo poo I could throw in:
19 Stormboyz + Nob (PK, Pole)
Looted Wagon (boomgunkannon, Big shoota)
Comedy Deff Dread option A (2 Rokkits)
Comedy Deff Dread option B (Zap gun, Big shoota)
9 Burnas
KFF Mek

That's annoyingly vague I know, I haven't played in forever and have no idea what I'm doing. I have the week off so painting some stuff is definitely an option, probably don't want that to be all I do for the next 2 days though!

I had the idea that I could run the KFF mek (and a grot tax unit) to shepherd some mek guns as an allied detachment, ditch the Nobz for shootas, and run all the BWs in the main detachment's Heavy slots, but I don't think I can make that fit at 1500.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Thoughts on assembling Mek Guns:

The gun part can be really fiddly and takes forever. Since I was building one of these as a kannon, I used a battlewagon kannon instead. It's rough so I'll definitely be going back to add more support structures, a gunner's platform and gubbinz. The killkannon off the BW accessories sprue would look better but would need more work up front to get it to sit right.

The subassembly diagram that shows which side the springy bits that hold the bottom front plate on are supposed to go shows them on the wrong sides. Fortunately it's very obvious so you are unlikely to have an incident.

gently caress the tyres. The two halves of the internal tube that the axle threads through are actually a hair too tall. When you glue them you will find that however hard you hold the two halves together, you cannot get a seal all the way round. Unfortuntately I didn't twig this on assembling the first one so it needs a bunch of filling that I don't have time for. For the second one I twigged what was up and was able to shave the bits down by the tiniest amount, so they fit perfectly.

tl;dr: Shave the middle bit in mek gun tyres down a little so they glue together easier.

I also built the crew for the first one before I realised I didn't have time to base them before priming, but they are some drat cute li'l grots. (I base by putting ballast onto a layer of PVA, and seal with thinned PVA once that's dried, then have to wait for that to dry again before I can prime)

Got them primed last night. Today I need to paint them, and finish two meks, a runtherd, an extra shoota boy and three deffkoptas.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

JackMack posted:

He had super show biz calls to make.

It was really unfortunate how that worked out: I don't think any of us were expecting that first set of games to go on for so long.

I also feel pretty bad that I took my DSLR with me and completely forgot to take any pictures.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Cataphract posted:

I got to hold it by the way guys... it was pretty cool, Rudge and I are like best friends now.

Also, here's a better angle on it

Yeah, it's really cool in person, and for once it's a model that has massive ammo boxes on the back that might even let it fire its huge rotary cannons for more than 30 seconds.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

JackMack posted:

I was flicking through tabletop fix and found this kickstarter and instantly thought of you.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/433105762/olleys-armies-dwarven-prussian-army-scrunt-miniatu

My favourite is 'scrunt mechanic with spanner'.

Olley's style really has calmed down a lot. I used to absolutely detest the "Iron Claw" stuff he did for Citadel where everything was entirely made from creases. These new dwarfs are actually pretty neat, and mostly not so Steampunk that it sets my teeth on edge.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Boon posted:

So my best friend and his wife just had their first child, a girl. I want to send him something useful and thoughtful. Since he is a Warhammer/40k player and his wife is down with his nerdery I thought I could send them some diapers and then a nicely painted model/something for the daughter with a hand-written letter.

The problem is, I have no idea what to go with as a model. Any suggestions?

EDIT: To clarify, the model I guess isn't really for the girl since, yknow, it's probably dangerous to her. But just something celebratory or tangentially related.

There will never be a better time for the Nemesis Dreadknight. Especially if you also buy them a baby harness and stencil an Inquisition symbol on it.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

On the UK Steam store at least, you can't pre-purchase and there's no price on it even, which seems a bit weird for something that's so close to release. Does it have a price on the US store?

Also weird that Steam hasn't put this in my recommendations queue given that my account has the entirety of DoW, Space Marine, and Space Hulk. It managed to suggest Mordheim...

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

Because they're selling small, jewel-like objects of magic and wonder that we call Citadel miniatures, NOT crappy plastic toys.

e. No plastic Cryptek, really? Or even a loving destroyer lord instead of yet another overlord? gently caress.

Sweet limited edition box though. Would have been sweeter with a matching Cryptek kit.

Is that 0101-1000 supposed to be the limited edition numbering because if so they need to look up how binary works.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

So which one of us is "Nightfury" then?

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Potential BFF posted:

The Fantasy Wrathmongers are pretty much begging to get some chainaxes and sub in for the boring old Berzerkers. Fantasy does Chaos, especially Khorne, so much better.

Khorne: Chaos god of rhythmic gymnastics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Where is Buffalo Chicken? I need to know he hasn't literally exploded.

Also gently caress this poo poo I was so close to swearing off this crap forever but I need those hybrids. NEED. So they can sit untouched in the box forever.

• Locked thread