Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Cara is greatly underestimated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Walh Hara posted:

Did Belgend die?

I did, and I have risen again. Too tired to have a decent checkup on tacticschat here, but the main lines seem to make sense. Wilmots doesn't seem to figure out that his system is on the whole really good, but he needs to give his attacking players better 'looplijnen' to be faster and more efficient in their passing and he doesn't seem to figure out that his system is so far completely dependent on the secure defensive axis Kompany-Witsel-Van Buyten. Which is why I don't understand that he took an attacking DM like Defour along instead of a more defensive player like Nainggolan or Timmy-chan or why he subbed in Chadli for Hazard (I think?) instead of Dembele to act as a second buffer next to Witsel.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Supposedly, Chadli was meant to bring some pace to the flank, but then he didn't defend at all so... I don't know.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

belgend posted:

I did, and I have risen again. Too tired to have a decent checkup on tacticschat here, but the main lines seem to make sense. Wilmots doesn't seem to figure out that his system is on the whole really good, but he needs to give his attacking players better 'looplijnen' to be faster and more efficient in their passing and he doesn't seem to figure out that his system is so far completely dependent on the secure defensive axis Kompany-Witsel-Van Buyten. Which is why I don't understand that he took an attacking DM like Defour along instead of a more defensive player like Nainggolan or Timmy-chan or why he subbed in Chadli for Hazard (I think?) instead of Dembele to act as a second buffer next to Witsel.

We'll see how it goes against Argentina, but so far I think we've been playing good enough that your criticism is a bit exaggerated. Especially against the USA we played extremely good tactically speaking, except for the last 10 minutes and for the finishing neither which is Wilmots' fault. I have the impression that as long as the opponent isn't parking the bus the players are good enough to know what to do without Wilmots planning everything in advance. Isn't there a thin line between giving attacking players detailed "looplijnen"/attacking patterns and between curbing the creativity of those players? It's true that we struggle against teams that park the bus, but so does everyone else.

Can you elaborate your criticism on team selection? Surely you're not saying that we should play with 2 defensive midfielders? In my opinion Timmy not getting selected was inevitable, he wasn't that good for Brugge and we really don't need him.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

Walh Hara posted:

Can you elaborate your criticism on team selection? Surely you're not saying that we should play with 2 defensive midfielders? In my opinion Timmy not getting selected was inevitable, he wasn't that good for Brugge and we really don't need him.

There's no real doublure for Witsel, is my problem. He's our only real holding midfielder in my opinion and in the current system the Belges use that position has become very important, especially in periods of a match that our goalmouth is overrun (which will happen tomorrow for at least 10 minutes).

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

CSM posted:

Cara is greatly underestimated.

Drink more lambics & gueuzes damnit! Everything else is dross :argh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'll have my pumpkin maple coffee chocolate bacon stout porter IPA tyvm :colbert:

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

belgend posted:

There's no real doublure for Witsel, is my problem. He's our only real holding midfielder in my opinion and in the current system the Belges use that position has become very important, especially in periods of a match that our goalmouth is overrun (which will happen tomorrow for at least 10 minutes).

I thought Dembele, Defour and Fellaini (and even Vertonghen and Kompany) all have played in that position at some point. It might not always be their favourite position, but I figured we have enough players that could do it. Obviously losing Witsel would be a huge problem though, I just don't think we have any player (in the selection or not) that could properly replace him.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

spankmeister posted:

I'll have my pumpkin maple coffee chocolate bacon stout porter IPA tyvm :colbert:

Funky Buddha actually makes a really good Maple Bacon Coffee Porter but almost everything else that tries to attempt this is poo poo.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

They're doing their part! Are you?

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

BelgianRedDevils @BelRedDevils · 40m
Just letting you know that Lionel Messi hasn't scored one goal against @thibautcourtois in their last 7 games #argbel

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

it's like he's breastfeeding messi

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Belgium would be a far better team with real full backs imo. The ones you've got must be proper poo poo that centre backs are played instead

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Let's do this poo poo Belgium. (o god we're gonne lose)

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
You guys desperately need a new manager. Could be world beaters with this squad, instead it was this.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

gently caress. :negative:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Welp, all in on oranje now

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
So, Belgium, let's forget all about 1830 and be the low lands and we'll take a bunch of awesome Belge players and a Dutch coach and win 12 cups in a row. Deal? Your friend, Holland.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

ma i married a tuna posted:

So, Belgium, let's forget all about 1830 and be the low lands and we'll take a bunch of awesome Belge players and a Dutch coach and win 12 cups in a row. Deal? Your friend, Holland.

Hah, except for Robben and Van Persie (and maybe the fullbacks) no Dutch player would play or even make the bench. In a few years Robben and Van Persie will be too old and we'll have better players on those positions as well.

ANyway, gutted about the loss. I don't think we have to be ashamed for losing to Argentina by 1 goal (caused by a lucky deflection), but it's stupid that it was so boring. That early goal completely killed the match and we just didn't play well. I don't know if it was because the players had too much respect, the stress, the fatigue, Argentinia destroying the match, or the tactics but it didn't feel like we were trying enough. Still happy with the tournament overall.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
It's because Wilmots is rubbish. Chadli for Hazard when you have Januzaj on the bench, jezus christ.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Januzaj was only there because of public pressure.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

You guys desperately need a new manager. Could be world beaters with this squad, instead it was this.
Spot on, yes. Argentina did get lucky with that goal, they did play well defensively and they did spend the entire second half time-wasting - so it wouldn't have been such a disgrace if we'd lost playing well. But we didn't play well. We didn't play at all. Argentina knew exactly what Wilmots' only trick was and they did exactly what they had to do to stop it. We were invisible. The worst thing is that this wasn't even a lesson learnt - we've known for years that we're vulnerable like this.

Wilmots out. No mercy. He's utterly clueless. There's no way it will happen, though. 'At least we got to the quarter finals,' will be exactly what everyone will be saying. So Wilmots will muddle onwards, winning the easy matches through the sheer quality of our team. We'll never be a contender and our 'golden generation' will go to waste.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Can you name a manager you'd like to see instead? (and is somewhat plausible)

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I'm sure they're out there. Getting to play around with a team like this should be quite a draw.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Walh Hara posted:

Hah, except for Robben and Van Persie (and maybe the fullbacks) no Dutch player would play or even make the bench. In a few years Robben and Van Persie will be too old and we'll have better players on those positions as well.

Belgium has no full backs

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Jose posted:

Belgium has no full backs

Vertonghen played an excellent tournament as fullback with the exception of his one mistake in the first game and Alderweireld has been decent and consistent throughout. Both are surely better than Kuyt who has somehow been playing as fullback for Netherlands this tournament.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Belgium were loving garbage lol

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

We were.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

Walh Hara posted:

Christoph Daum unironically

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

no but for real i'm pretty sure the belgian fa can get literally anyone now

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

belgend posted:

no but for real i'm pretty sure the belgian fa can get literally anyone now

capello is free

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

tetsman posted:

capello is free

this is the only reason i don't want the fa to fire wilmots yet

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I don't think it's that easy, because the ideal perfect coach would have:
1) experience with players of that level (i.e. not a single Belgian coach applies)
2) experience running an offensive team with many creative players, knows what to do against teams that park the bus
3) experience with the tournament format
4) experience with working with a national team or being able to do a lot of work in very little time (you don't see the players often enough to mold everybody like you want them or plan everything tactically)
5) good motivator

Like, the best and really only name I can think of would be Rafael Benitez (I think he meets all criteria), but I really doubt we could convince somebody like him to manage Belgium without silly money.

Re: Christophe Daum, "mr 1-0", he doesn't meet criteria 2 (as far as I know), 3 (horrible record in Champions League) and 4 (needed a lot of time to set up his system in Brugge) and did quite a few crazy things in the past (cocaine abuse, christophe dumb debacle, etc).

edit:

quote:

Belgium were loving garbage lol

Every single team is loving garbage. Brazil was garbage, Germany was garbage except for their first match, Argentina was always garbage and boring and Netherlands vs Costa Rica has been garbage so far.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 5, 2014

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Luckily, Wilmots signed a 4-year contract or something silly right before the World Cup. Also the people giving him that contract are clueless.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Walh Hara posted:

Every single team is loving garbage. Brazil was garbage, Germany was garbage except for their first match, Argentina was always garbage and boring and Netherlands vs Costa Rica has been garbage so far.

Belgium could have been the exception.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

tetsman posted:

capello is free

Lol

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Walh Hara posted:

Michel Preud'homme?

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

Gigi Galli posted:

Our manager succesfully got us to the quarter finals after 12 years of nothing. Give hime some credit.

uXs posted:

It's because Wilmots is rubbish. Chadli for Hazard when you have Januzaj on the bench, jezus christ.
Januzaj wasn't very good in the match against South Korea.

CSM fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

the jizz taxi posted:

Michel Preud'homme?

Doesn't meet criteria 1 (only worked with cloggers and in bad leagues), criteria 2 (he's only renowned for grinding out results and defensive solidity, 2 things Wilmots does great already and besides Michel doesn't use the kind of system you'd want for Belgium) and criteria 4 (Brugge were playing worse right after he got hired, he needed a ridiculous amount of time to get his players to play his rigid system).

It's possible he could do better than Wilmots, but I honestly think it's more likely that he'll do worse. If you change a manager, you need to be certain he'll do better and there's just no proof that somebody like Preud'Homme could. He hasn't proved himself capable of either handling actually good players or managing an agressive creative side at all (his defensive work and counter attacking is good, but that's not what we need).

Maybe I have a traume of our horrible managers in the past (our team was more than strong enough to qualify for euro 2012 and look what happened). Maybe thinking we should be happy for being among the best 3 european teams in the tournament (we're better than France) and best 8 overall is too cautious. Maybe I should blame our misses and players underperforming on the manager alone. Maybe I should blame Wilmots for that somewhat lucky goal that allowed Argentina to destroy that last game. But as it is now, I think Wilmots has done quite well all things considered. While he certainly has plenty of problems, I can't think of any manager who'd have a better chance at success who would want to manage Belgium. If there is an announcement tomorrow that Klopp, Heynckes, Benitez, Garcia, Martinez or a manager like that is going to take over I'd be happy, but if it's some clogger like Preud'Homme or Daum I wouldn't have confidence in them to do as well as Wilmots did, let alone better.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 6, 2014

• Locked thread