Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Between just a few same day rides, I've got a couple places I'm wanting to go and actually plan to do it this year.

https://goo.gl/maps/7c2uD

I haven't ridden the area west of Kalispell yet, but Highway 37 south of the border is supposed to be a fantastic ride along the lake. Destination is Sandpoint, ID specifically the Bird Aviation Museum. This won't take long, over night should be do-able. I probably won't ride the sun road as it can easily add another 2 hours due to traffic woes and I've already done it several times. I'll probably make a loop on the last leg to Sandpoint via 200 so I'm not riding the same road twice.

Secondly, a longer ride ride that I've actually been thinking of for a year or two but just haven't gotten off my rear end to do. Down to SLC with the final destination being Hill AFB and the museum(yes, I am a bit of an aero-geek).
https://goo.gl/maps/zHZRl

This trip has lots of options for getting off the super-slab and doubling the mileage so I have to make some decisions here. I think I'm going to hotel it for this too but not have a firm schedule and just make it up as I go. Probably will avoid Yellowstone but wouldn't rule out other parts of Wyoming. Probably do this in September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimping Giraffe
Feb 22, 2006
Forum Giraffe Pimper?
I'm riding to Argentina. I started in the San Francisco area. I'm currently wasting time in Puerto Escondido, Mexico with about 4500 miles on the V-Strom since I stated about 2.5 months ago.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

I'm doing the last two days of the motorcycle cannonball in September. A family member is doing the whole thing on some early vintage Harley and I'm meeting up with him for the end of it. Second to last day is in Lewiston, so I'm driving out there from Portland where I live. Then driving back down from Seattle after it's over of course.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Pimping Giraffe posted:

I'm riding to Argentina. I started in the San Francisco area. I'm currently wasting time in Puerto Escondido, Mexico with about 4500 miles on the V-Strom since I stated about 2.5 months ago.

Do tell us more! :munch:

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Key West and back over the long weekend. About 900 miles round trip.

Route 1 is 120 miles of tourists panic breaking into local t-shirt shops with some great water views thrown in. I got trapped in the keys for 3 hours because an accident shutdown the only road out. I might have the worlds most boring time lapse gopro vid of the ride into the keys. I'll see if I can find some interesting pics later.

Need some bar risers if I'm going to do anything longer I think. Checked off the list, can't go any further south in the US. On to twisty enjoyable roads further north.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I have a destination bachelor weekend in Asheville and I figured it'd be criminal not to stop by Deal's gap, it's like an hour away. Doing that in about a month here, actually I should be prepping for it now...

Don't really gotta post a map tho cause everyone knows.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I want to hit Ohio 255 & 536 this year.
http://tinyurl.com/kd5mfy6

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Retarded Pimp posted:

I want to hit Ohio 255 & 536 this year.
http://tinyurl.com/kd5mfy6

Ohio is like a midwest state that globbed onto west virginia and kentucky. If it didn't have the south east it'd be a waste, that looks pretty nice.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

In a week or so, I'm going to make another run at lapping Lake Michigan. Probably next month, I want to feed my obsession with the Mississippi and make it down to St. Louis MO and Cairo, IL. And in September, my goal is to take 8-12 days and make it out to Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

nsaP posted:

Ohio is like a midwest state that globbed onto west virginia and kentucky. If it didn't have the south east it'd be a waste, that looks pretty nice.

That whole corner of the state is riding heaven, go around Hocking Hills if you get the chance.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm going to Reno with some friends in September for the Street Vibrations rally. Probably going to do a couple days in Idaho and Oregon on the way and will DEFINITELY be staying in Chico, CA for a night to drink beers at Sierra Nevada after riding over the Sierra.

I want to go through Stanley, ID but I am starting to have second thoughts about the time of year. It's pretty cold there, and I don't want to deal with frost on the way out in the morning.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
I was supposed to ride to Jordan with a bunch of friends, but our entry permits were cancelled due to god knows what circumstances. Beside that there is no where else we can really ride except our weekly rides to hills around Jerusalem.

Later this summer we have the annual ride to Hermon mountain which is supposed to be nice.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The only big trip I'm planning this year is around the Northeast US and possibly up into Canada in August. Start/end point will be DC and I'm trying to avoid highways as much as possible. Will have a rough route laid out on a map soon. I'll only have 9 days but I think I can hit a lot of cool roads with that timeframe. Any NE goons have suggestions?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

clutchpuck posted:

I want to go through Stanley, ID but I am starting to have second thoughts about the time of year. It's pretty cold there, and I don't want to deal with frost on the way out in the morning.
Looking at Stanleys' wiki page, it looks like frost is a real possibility in the early AM regardless of the month. A place like that that still has good highs in the daytime is will tend to warm up really fast once the sun has risen. Just delay a departure for 9AM or so and you should be pretty good.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah that's a good point. In fact we were talking about just taking a late departure from Stanley over beers last night. We have two days budgeted for Stanley to Reno and it's only 600 miles, a late start might be nice.

Sand Point north to the border is pretty nice. Sweepy highway curves, lots of trees and hills, not many people. I think they have one of the largest contiguous hop fields in the world up there. I love mispronouncing Lake Pend Orielle.

Some of the best riding is up in NW Montana and the Idaho panhandle.

hayden. posted:

I'm doing the last two days of the motorcycle cannonball in September. A family member is doing the whole thing on some early vintage Harley and I'm meeting up with him for the end of it. Second to last day is in Lewiston, so I'm driving out there from Portland where I live. Then driving back down from Seattle after it's over of course.

Have you ever done westbound I84 through the Columbia Gorge? It can be a schlep against some stiff, gusty headwinds. Also if you're in Lewiston, do Old Spiral Highway but be aware that the Sheriff station is at the bottom of the hill.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 29, 2014

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

clutchpuck posted:

Have you ever done westbound I84 through the Columbia Gorge? It can be a schlep against some stiff, gusty headwinds. Also if you're in Lewiston, do Old Spiral Highway but be aware that the Sheriff station is at the bottom of the hill.

Possibly the best public road I've ever seen in terms of shape. Sucks about the sheriff department. Not sure I'll have time to check it out but will if I can, thanks for the tip.

And yep to the I84, I've been down it a couple times, though no farther than a couple hours east of Portland. It's beautiful and there are some great empty (between clusters of traffic) stretches of road that are fun to go fast on. Small shoulders, divided medians, and good visibility means limited chance of hiding cops too.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Just south of Lewiston is the Asotin Grade road with a motorcycle-approriate speed limit. Beautiful pavement, less trafficked and patroled than Spiral Highway. Plus it's on the way to Rattlesnake Grade.

I'm putting together my ride this summer. Probably back to some old haunts in eastern WA, but maybe hit up some flyover states because I've never been there. Also my passport expired so Canada/Mexico is off limits. :(

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
My wife and I are finally taking our honeymoon trip in September - riding from Massachusetts to California. We've got 3 weeks to do it, which leaves us plenty of time to screw around and do some exploration.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Riding my 1956 BMW to the BMW club rally in Minnesota this July. Haven't done a long trip on it since like 09, will be nice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That will be nice. I'm jealous (not really, because it's a BMW rally).

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

That will be nice. I'm jealous (not really, because it's a BMW rally).

At least you can't miss it with all the Hi-Viz that'll be present.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Prepping for Deals Gap, anyone ever camped there? I'm trying to spend as little as possible and found a few sites that seem to be legit on Santeelah lake http://freecampsites.net/#!7369&query=sitedetails

I also read that before 1992 the speed limit was 55 on it. drat, missed out. Sounds like it's cop infested now compared to what it used to be.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
So I'm going to Asheville, NC from Marion, OH for a little getaway to visit a friend. Roughly 8 hours and 500 miles with the quickest route. I took this same route to get to Gatlinburg last year in a car and it sucked rear end. Straight highway for the majority of it. The 919 is definitely not the best touring machine so curves and sights will make the punishment on my rear end a little less harsh.

US-23 is the front runner right now. gently caress 75 forever. What would I miss out on by taking 23 straight there? Where should I modify the route? I'd like to leave early in the morning, say 6 A and get there no later than 6 PM. Figure 2 hours of resting and 10 hours of riding to play with. Living in central Ohio reallllllly deprives me of good roads, so those are the primary objective.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 9, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Just be careful once you get to TN, the mountain roads are pretty drat twisty and when it rains, it tsunamis (in my experience). Every year me and some friends road trip to Indianapolis and EVERY year we go through TN it rains so hard we can see maybe 2 feet in front of our car.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Take the highway past Columbus then go nuts. That part of KY is nice little hill bumps. Plan longer on the backroads cause you have to factor in towns, slow cars, etc for a slower average speed than just flying down the highway. I'm doing 75 to Deal's and it'll suck, but for me it'll be like 4 hours and change if I go 80. I don't have a road like 23 so meh.

The google page says 439 miles for your route down 23. In my experience 35 mph average speed for the trip (including stops) is normal for taking those kind of roads, though you can go quicker thru Ohio. But assuming that speed, 10 hours on the road with a few hours rest is a minimum.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 9, 2014

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure you know this already, but 23 is basically a 4-lane divided highway through most of Ohio. It's pretty empty though, and the drivers aren't aggressive like on the interstate, so it's probably your best bet for cranking out the miles. There's some really fantastic scenic roads just to the left and right of where you're going, but if you're on a single day schedule I don't think you'd appreciate the detours.

Do yourself a favor and snag some breakfast in Columbus on your way down. Starliner Diner (Cuban/Mexican), Ethyl and Tank, Jack and Benny's and DK Diner are some of my favorites for breakfast. Rush hour isn't normally too bad in Columbus, but it's still something to bear in mind. If you can get past downtown and are heading out of town by 7:30, you'll be fine.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was supposed to go on a group ride but my friends are lame, so I'm just driving down.
I'm trying to set up an extended weekend ride somewhere east/south east in early or late August. I'm thinking one day out, one day (or two) doing whatever, one day back.
Doing a fast Google, it looks like I can do somewhere in western Montana within 10 hours, Nothern Nevada around 12.
Any suggestions for something within a 10-ish hour ride of Seattle?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Glacier National Park looks amazing and I've only heard good things about it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pope Mobile posted:

I was supposed to go on a group ride but my friends are lame, so I'm just driving down.
I'm trying to set up an extended weekend ride somewhere east/south east in early or late August. I'm thinking one day out, one day (or two) doing whatever, one day back.
Doing a fast Google, it looks like I can do somewhere in western Montana within 10 hours, Nothern Nevada around 12.
Any suggestions for something within a 10-ish hour ride of Seattle?

Within 10-ish hour ride from Seattle? The world is your oyster.

Anywhere you go in Western MT will be awesome. If you go to Missoula, I suggest through Lewiston, hit the Old Spiral Highway, and do Lolo pass. Stay in Kamiah and hit Lolo first thing in the morning. The Great Northern Brewing co. in Whitefish does some great beer and the town is small enough to walk. If you're going to decide to use I90 in one direction, I recommend eastbound. The wind will be at your back.

Bend, OR is nice. You get to go up over Mt. Hood on the way there and there's a billion good breweries in town. Do the Curly Creek Rd / Wind River Rd / NF-25 around Mount St. Helens. Do McKenzie Pass on your way to/from Bend.

WA 20 over North Cascades pass and further past Tonasket to Kettle Falls / Colville on WA20 is some good riding. You don't even need to leave Washington. Marvel at all the Canadian Vrods near the border. Do Keller Ferry.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
Thanks for the info guys. I'll probably stick with 23 then.

I didn't realize how close the tail of the dragon was. Is that worth it at all? I'm not worried so much about cops, but if the place is packed with rich idiots with exotics and a bunch of squids I'll probably pass.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

astrollinthepork posted:

Thanks for the info guys. I'll probably stick with 23 then.

I didn't realize how close the tail of the dragon was. Is that worth it at all? I'm not worried so much about cops, but if the place is packed with rich idiots with exotics and a bunch of squids I'll probably pass.

My coworker goes on and on about how awesome it is all the time, he's got himself an R1200. Dude even has a printed out map of it on his cubicle wall. If you're not tired as poo poo from your journey I'd check it out, it certainly looks fun. I'm nowhere near good enough at riding to even countenance attempting it yet though so I haven't actually been.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

God dammit the road is called "the Dragon." The "tail of the dragon" is the restaurant at the end of the road. I know this and I live on the other side of the country and have never even been there. :spergin:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah, that's not true and besides, the cool kids call it Deals Gap.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

HE KNOWS
I don't know man, I hate the name "the tail of the dragon" and "Deal's Gap" completely skipped my mind.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I don't need to spell out what that means for you then, do I?

Nah I think the Tail of the Dragon name is a marketing thing that's taken off as the road has become more hyped. I don't really like it. It was originally Deals Gap and that's what I always heard it called at first when I was told about it so that's what I call it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Oh the things you will see at Deal's Gap...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Posted a thread about it before, I'll be taking ~30 days after my contract finishes to tour Japan:

Route is approximate but more or less what I'll be doing, red and blue segments are probably about a week each, green about 2 weeks. I've still got some more trip planning to do, here's one of the finished (research) regions, still need to decide which dots I want to connect on my way through:

My German buddy is supposed to be flying out to join me for about two weeks of the trip, an American friend of mine is also finishing up his contract in late July so is gonna sell him his GS650, and hopefully be able to ride it up to Tokyo for him. There's a foreign-run shop in Yamanashi that ought to be able to sell it for him on consignment.

Been looking forward to/saving for this trip for my whole three years here, fingers crossed my mechanic doesn't find anything heinously wrong with my bike when I take it in for a last tune-up next week.

Unfortunately this is probably the last riding I'll get to do for a while; leaving Japan in late August and starting grad school/not having a full time job in Feb, which might make owning another bike not financially practical until I finish my Master's and get another real job. :smith:

Razzled posted:

This owns, that little confederate flag bag on the back is really the cherry on top.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 12, 2014

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I missed this thread when you first posted it, just fav'd it. Looking forward to your updates and pics

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Razzled posted:

This guy has life figured out, two supermotos on a trailer behind a giant touring couch? Sign me the gently caress up, see ya in a couple years. I would change one of the supermotos to a dirtbike and lose the rebel flag helmet/sex doll but that's nit-picking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Going on a "hit as many mountain passes in the west of Norway as possible" trip with my brother.

Tentative google maps route: http://goo.gl/maps/QZXwm It's about 1800km

Looks like I'm camping in lysefjordsbotten(B), near lofthus(D), near turtagrø(I), somewhere near Åndalsnes(M), at the cabin in Bagn(N) then back home to oslo.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 3, 2014

• Locked thread