Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This group seems about right for Capello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Capello is a total garbageman, I can't believe Russia picked him up after that disaster with England.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Was he always so negative or is it an italian thing when you get old like Trapattoni?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Jose posted:

Was he always so negative or is it an italian thing when you get old like Trapattoni?

Nah he was never this bad at Milan, but I was a little kid at the time so maybe Im just remembering it wrong.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Also Akinfeev, what the gently caress.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My understanding has always been that Capello is good at winning leagues and utter poo poo at winning knockout competitions. I have no idea why. It explains why he was always a competent club manager, and why he's so good at qualifying for tournaments, but then completely implodes once he actually gets there.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Russia didn't deserve to get out of this weak group. Looked mediocre to poor throughout.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Capello's rear end is fired right?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Capello has won seven league titles (four with Milan, two with Madrid, one with Roma) but has only ever won one cup competition (super cups don't count) when he managed Milan to the 1993-94 Champions League.

I don't know why anyone thought he would be a good idea for national teams, where literally every competition is a cup competition.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
feels pretty good to slay russian taxpayers money like this

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

vyelkin posted:

Capello has won seven league titles (four with Milan, two with Madrid, one with Roma) but has only ever won one cup competition (super cups don't count) when he managed Milan to the 1993-94 Champions League.

I don't know why anyone thought he would be a good idea for national teams, where literally every competition is a cup competition.

Maybe they want him for the European friendlies league

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I also find it really funny that Russia's "prove we're not a garbageman team and deserve to host the next World Cup" tournament ended up with them finishing behind Algeria. Not quite as good as Qatar almost certainly not qualifying for the next (or any) World Cup, but still really good.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

vyelkin posted:

I also find it really funny that Russia's "prove we're not a garbageman team and deserve to host the next World Cup" tournament ended up with them finishing behind Algeria. Not quite as good as Qatar almost certainly not qualifying for the next (or any) World Cup, but still really good.

The only redeeming quality I can foresee for Qatar 2022 is the other teams in Qatar's group just pumping them full of net slams.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Capello is blaming a laser pointed at Akinfeev as the reason Algeria scored lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

There was a laser pointed at him, but it doesn't excuse his mistake. And there was no laser when they played South Korea.

Really, Akinfeev singlehandedly cost his team a place in the knockouts by turning two 1-0 wins into 1-1 draws.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

The only redeeming quality I can foresee for Qatar 2022 is the other teams in Qatar's group just pumping them full of net slams.

otoh the refs are going to be crazy, crazy bent because they'll be wanting (understandably) to avoid humiliating these sorts of people http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=7402099. its going to be the shittest world cup in history, even shitter than south africa

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

The whole interview is amazing. He's absolutely lost it.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/27/fabio-capello-laser-beam-russia-elimination-world-cup-2014

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Я
Я верю
Я верю, что
Я верю, что мы победим
Я верю, что мы победим
Я верю, что мы победим
Я верю, что мы победим

Нет, ждите...

Я
Я верю
Я верю, что
Я верю, что мы проиграли
Я верю, что мы проиграли
Я верю, что мы проиграли
Я верю, что мы проиграли

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
nu da

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Maybe Putin can convince FIFA to test the winter timeplan they want to use in the 2022 WC in Russia. The Russian winter might give them a shot to not be eliminated in the group stage.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sounds like Capello is in hot water: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/02/fabio-capello-russia-world-cup

quote:

Igor Ananskikh, the head of the State Duma’s sports committee, said he would indeed be calling Capello before the committee in October to explain the team’s poor performance. If Capello does decide to put in an appearance at the Duma, he can expect some interesting lines of questioning on football tactics. When asked what the biggest problem with the players was, Pakholkov said it was that Russia’s team are simply too small.

“Look at the size of the Koreans, even they are bigger than us! I’m not talking about Germans or Brazilians, who are obviously giants. Our guys are twice as small as them. I’m not against small players but Capello’s team can’t even run fast. What are they doing in the team?”

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
I just read Capello's compensation for terminating the contract is 30.5 million euro hahaha

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

He's definitely going to lead another country to world cup misery for a massive amount of money

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Jose posted:

He's definitely going to lead another country to world cup misery for a massive amount of money

Capello's China. What a loving mess of a team that will be.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

He'll be in charge of Qatar assuming he's still alive by then

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Any word if the Russians are planning to host any games in Crimea? :allears:

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Enigma89 posted:

Yes, yes there will be a game there. Please go and stay there forever tia.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Enigma89 posted:

I doubt they're going to host games in stadiums that weren't in their bid

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

tetsman posted:

Yes, yes there will be a game there. Please go and stay there forever tia.

Beach side Dacha? Sure

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
tell them you belong to the pedik club (pronounced 'piedik) and that you'd like their best khuy and they'll treat you like you deserve

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

tetsman posted:

tell them you belong to the pedik club (pronounced 'piedik) and that you'd like their best khuy and they'll treat you like you deserve

yes do this

also one more "fuuuck you capello" for posterity

why the gently caress did you have such a hard-on for the completely green shatov i will never know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
While you're at it tell them all their girlfriends are lovely bliadi. They will give you a warm welcome.

• Locked thread