Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

You can tell that Korea are really good at soccer because of a few reasons:

1) They're in Asia, which is near China, the birthplace of the sport
2) They qualified for the world cup
3) There's two of them
4) Look at these crests of their club sides

Korea hosted the World Cup in 2002, and they finished 4th on home turf, so they know a bit about doing well at World Cups. Recognised as one of the better World Cups, 2002 still incorporated the power bar for shots and crosses but with a steeper learning curve and customisation of the chances of being penalised by the match referee.

Still, 2002 was more than a decade ago now, so are they still any good? Well, they're pretty low in the meaningless FIFA rankings, coming in at

This puts them behind Iran and Japan in terms of Asian countries at the World Cup, provided you accept that Iran is part of Asia and not the nebulous concept of the Middle East being a continent. They actually only qualified on goal difference over Uzbekistan, which is even less of a real country than Belgium.
They've gone to more World Cups than any other Asian country, but the first time they actually did anything of note at one was in 2002, and then again made it out of the groups in 2010. They also beat Italy in the first World Cup they made an appearance at in 1966, in what is now a famous victory in Korea.

The supporters of the Korean national team are known as the Red Devils, much like the Belgian national team and also Manchester United Football Club. Don't get confused.

So what are Korea bringing to the table this time around?

Well, they aren't going to win. They probably won't even challenge to be the best Asian team this time around, with Japan and Iran bringing definitely better squads, and they'll probably struggle to make it out of the groups, with Belgium being the goon favourite team and also quite good, and Russia storming through games with the power of the glorious motherland. Algeria are garbage, so they might pick up a win there.

Here's the team they'll be bringing:

Goalkeepers
All these guys play in Korea, and none are over 30. They probably suck, as do almost all Asian goalkeepers due to being short and weak.

Jung Sung-ryong

Kim Seung-gyu

Lee Bum-young

Defenders
These guys all are a bit better probably. There's even one that plays for a real club, with Yun Suk-young playing for 'Arry's QPR. Kim Young-gwon is apparently a bit of a nutcase and is obsessed with Chinese model Ai Shangzhen. They aren't dating.

Kim Chang-soo

Yun Suk-young

Kwak Tae-hwi

Kim Young-gwon

Hwang Seok-ho

Lee Yong

Hong Jeong-ho

Kim Jin-su

Midfielders
These are again slightly better than the defenders, and again one of them plays at a real club, with Lee Chung-yong at Bolton.

Kim Bo-kyung

Ha Dae-sung

Koo Ja-cheol

Han Kook-young

Park Jong-woo

Ki Sung-yeung

Lee Chung-yong

Forwards
These guys are the best, because they're the ones that score the goals. As you can see from his scout report, Son Heung-min is really good and has loads of potential, and even more ability. Park Chu-young plays for Arsenal, which is the best team I've mentioned so far, so he must be insanely good. Ji Dong-won will play for Dortmund next year, and they're even better. Haha his name is Dong. (it means dick)

Son Heung-min

Park Chu-young

Lee Keun-ho

Kim Shin-wook

Ji Dong-won

Go support Korea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrier
May 12, 2009

They seem cool to me

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Great work op. The yellow asian reds are one of my best teams,.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't know much about Korean Football but I once got a Hyundai i40 as as a rental and it was alright.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which Korea is this?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Mans posted:

Which Korea is this?

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

STINKO

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Go

Corea

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Jeong Sung-Ryung is not a good keeper, he's been the starting keeper for Suwon for seasons and he still plays like its his first day out, afraid to actually make some loving plays. He's ever worse for the national team.

Pak Chu-Yong is also an rear end that I wish personal injury upon.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I hope Ki Sung Yeung has a good world cup and comes back to Swansea to get caught up answering letters from his fan club. They've been building up and we need the boost in shirt sales.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
I love Corea like I love kimchi and lotte sweets, go my choson kings!

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

tetsman posted:

I love Corea like I love kimchi and lotte sweets, go my choson kings!

Eat poo poo you Gyeongsang piece of poo poo. Haetei4lyfe

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
imagine I made a choco pie joke

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Bogan Krkic posted:

Lee Bum-young

:laffo:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Kia Ce'ed is a decent car but I wouldn't buy one. On that basis I think they won't make it out of the group

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Im a big Samsung Suwon Blue Wings fan, and I know we will regain our position as the best team in Asia!
Go LGs!

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

tetsman posted:

Im a big Samsung Suwon Blue Wings fan, and I know we will regain our position as the best team in Asia!
Go LGs!

I don't know how meta you are going with making reference to the old LG Cheetahs of Anyang (who are now FC Seoul) in talking as a Suwon fan. :geno:

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

oldman posted:

I don't know how meta you are going with making reference to the old LG Cheetahs of Anyang (who are now FC Seoul) in talking as a Suwon fan. :geno:

I remember the good old days of Samsung Trust Bank FC and I'm all for the Jijidae.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

oldman posted:

Anyang

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Ki S.Y. is the best and I won't hear otherwise. I've decided to adopt Korea as my SECONDARY team that won't make it out of groups. Go Blue tigers!!

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
You should have mentioned Manchester United legend Park Ji-Sung.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
That's not Park Ji-Sung though? Nice casual racism, f*cktard. We don't do that sort of stuff here. Why won't you stay banned PITUAE?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Well done OP, you've reinforced my inability to tell Koreans apart that aren't Psy.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
You forgot the World Cup 2002 MVP for Korea!!

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Funkysauce posted:

You forgot the World Cup 2002 MVP for Korea!!

Nobody remembers the Spain-Korea ref, and that was really fixed.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I'm Ghana/Korea and Korea is real bad imo.

Ghana looks ok I guess.

There are girls screaming like its a One Direction concert, in Miami. It is a mystery.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

i hope the koreans don't get a HANGOVER feat. Snoop Dogg, haha. little topical humour for you there

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I had to google that because I'm older than Asamoah Gyan.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Paddyb posted:

There are girls screaming like its a One Direction concert, in Miami. It is a mystery.

It's presumably because they think the Korea team are just lost members of SHINee or 2NE1.

Also rigging major international sporting events so the filthy foreigners cannot beat the glorious pure Koreans is a long and storied tradition: just ask Roy Jones Jr.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

eagerly awaiting the imminent victory of asian powerhouse korea republic over european nobody "russia"

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
wait, you have ki seung yung and lee chung yong mixed up.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

대한민국 화이팅!

Win, lose, tomorrow is going to be annoying in the Land of the Morning Calm

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
My mom lives and works in Korea so go korea.

Also russia being the worst is a factor here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

대한민국 is best.

• Locked thread