Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

Ah yes lets ignore 12 world cups ago because we're literal children.

I care a lot about Canada's 1904 Olympic gold medal in the sport of association football, and we probably deserve a star for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Azerban posted:

I care a lot about Canada's 1904 Olympic gold medal in the sport of association football, and we probably deserve a star for it.

Football should not be an olympic sport.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Pissflaps posted:

Ah yes lets ignore 12 world cups ago because we're literal children.

Unless you were born in the 50's or before, the 1966 world cup doesn't matter lol, it basically doesn't even exist in your world, its just a psuedo event. kinda sad to see this.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Much like gender, history is a social construct. Please pm for more in-depth discussion etc.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

vaginal culture posted:

Unless you were born in the 50's or before, the 1966 world cup doesn't matter lol, it basically doesn't even exist in your world, its just a psuedo event. kinda sad to see this.

So its like how the female orgasm is to you? I think i UNderstand haha.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Two World Wars and one Third Place

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Please be careful about legitimising past world cup wins because this path leads to respect for France

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
My inferior scandinavian country didn't make the world cup this year. Neither did any of the other scandinavian teams, so I think I'll take my chances with the one and only superpower in the world. USA, USA, USA :911:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I look forward to the 3 USMNT matches because I figure they won't make it out of the Group of Death to America.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Oh who am I kidding, they're going to win it all easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vd-SQUaY_g

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Portugal is real bad and only has one good player so we're bound to win the group

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

3 world wars 0 world cups(until July).

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Icept posted:

My inferior scandinavian country didn't make the world cup this year. Neither did any of the other scandinavian teams, so I think I'll take my chances with the one and only superpower in the world. USA, USA, USA :911:

real scandinavian countries (not finland because they're Uralic cavemen) are better at football than the US and deserve the spot those garbagemen will waste rolling on the floor against Ghana

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Azerban posted:

2 world wars and 1 gold medal.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

tetsman posted:

real scandinavian countries (not finland because they're Uralic cavemen) are better at football than the US and deserve the spot those garbagemen will waste rolling on the floor against Ghana

THIS

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Dont really fancy USA's pretty poor record at the World Cup to get any better. If I had to sum up the roster in one word, it would be the same as any other World Cup Ive watched them in, and that word is 'dogshit'. And tbf theyve never really done anything on the pitch to have questioned this opinion.

There seems to be a pattern emerging, Group Stage exit one year, Round of 16 or a bit better the next, and after 2010's Round of 16 place I confidently predict a Group Stage exit this time around. In all honesty, theyre probably going get mullered and a bit embarrassed (I mean just look at the hipster adonises in this thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3637405 ) but the world cup does funny things, so they may sneak a win or a draw against Portugal or something.

All of that being said, i always like it when the States defies expectations, its not right at all and is just strangely awkward for everyone who isnt an american soccer fan, which is sort of what is great about the World Cup, so regardless, I will be cheering on USA in every game and wishing them the best. Its surely written in the stars that big Joe is going to shin one in somehow ftw and Ronaldo will make a face.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
I actually hope the usmnt does alright and due to the jozy thread i hope they give one of their younger strikers a chance and it might make for a heartwarming rags-to-riches story that Americans can talk about on sidewalks, around watercoolers and at the executions of minorities for years to come.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
gently caress Jozy, gently caress America.

gently caress freedom.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

How come Rossi isn't playing for the USMNT OP?

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.
Loving the encouragement from our friends from all over the world. I can already see the incredible glare the cup will provide off of Michael Bradleys forehead as he hoists it into the heavens surrounded by his teammates and the adoration of the world.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Carrier posted:

How come Rossi isn't playing for the USMNT OP?
trigger warning gently caress

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Here let me post my fave USMNT football youtubes.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ESTvxyqsI :v:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

tetsman posted:

Wow, big talk from a guy from a place that wasn't even a country, much less ever qualified for anything.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pissflaps posted:

gently caress Jozy, gently caress America.

gently caress freedom.

don't forget hersheys chocolate

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mr. Mambold posted:

don't forget hersheys chocolate

Its bad.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Its made with off milk lol its gross as hell

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

of course it is, its from the east coast

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

msj817 posted:

our friends from all over the world.

lol

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Tzen posted:

Oh who am I kidding, they're going to win it all easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vd-SQUaY_g

christ the Mighty Boosh have gone downhill

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
MLS allstars VS the World.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching the yanks put one past the English, in a room full of English, was the best part of the last World Cup. Possibly the only good bit tbh.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Put this in the OP

It's happening

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

vaginal culture posted:

of course it is, its from the east coast

pump your brakes kid

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Seltzer posted:

Put this in the OP

It's happening

nice touch making usa second in the group, wouldn't want it to be unrealistic

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Ponce de Le0n posted:

i hope they give one of their younger strikers a chance and it might make for a heartwarming rags-to-riches story

Well, said "younger striker" can only be Aron Jóhannsson. Born in Alabama, raised in ... um, Iceland.

Iceland.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why wans't freddy adu called?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Mans posted:

Too much good daytime cable TV to be watched from his parents' couch in Maryland

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mans posted:

Freddy Adu is too old to continue playing for the national team, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Mans posted:

Fredy Aadu did horrible things to JoJo

• Locked thread