Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Cameroon are one of African footballs giants - having won four African Cup of Nations titles, reached a World Cup quarter final and demonstrating some of the finest defending ever seen on the world stage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KedhyI7lHNw

They were then beaten by superior English diving ingenuity from Gary Lineker in the Quarter final.

Cameroon are famous for their stylish fashion and dancing, including their famous onesie kit:

And a natty sleeveless design:

Roger Milla also showed dance moves that only the best on Strictly Come Dancing can master:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptFgSROs05w

The Squad

Goalkeepers: Loic Feudjou (Coton Sport), Charles Itandje (Konyaspor), Sammy Ndjock (Fethiyespor)
Defenders: Benoit Assou-Ekotto (Tottenham Hotspur), Henri Bedimo (Olympique Lyon), Aurelien Chedjou (Galatasaray), Cedric Djeugou (Coton Sport), Nicolas Nkoulou (Olympique Marseille), Dany Nounkeu (Besiktas), Allan Nyom (Granada)
Midfielders: Enoh Eyong (Antalyaspor), Jean Makoun (Stade Rennes), Joel Matip (Schalke 04), Stephane Mbia (Sevilla), Benjamin Moukandjo (Nancy), Landry Nguemo (Girondins Bordeaux), Edgar Salli (Racing Lens), Alexandre Song (Barcelona)
Forwards: Vincent Aboubakar (Lorient), Eric-Maxim Choupo Moting (Mainz), Samuel Eto'o (Chelsea), Fabrice Olinga (Malaga), Achille Webo (Fenerbahce).

The Boss

Volker Finke is the current Cameroon Manager, the 15th man to hold this position this century, previous managers include legendary Rangers manager Paul Le Guen and Otto Pfister (stop sniggering at the back). He's been at the helm for just 10 games - qualifying Cameroon for the competition with a comprehensive 4-1 second leg victory against Tunisia.

Here are some of the more recognisable players:
Charles Itanje

Famously decided that he quite liked a tune he was listening to and decided to bop along to it, sadly it was at the Hillsborough memorial service and he was soon dispatched away from Anfield. Probably won't play.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto
Technically a Spurs player, but has spent most of the season abusing AVB on Twitter whilst at QPR, one of the worlds biggest football fans, here he is enjoying the Real Madrid Barcelona match earlier this season:

https://twitter.com/AssouEkotto/status/447827208347062272 posted:

Real vs barca...hmmmm interresting LOL

Alex Song

The former Arsenal midfielder finds himself playing centre-back more often these days at Barcelona, he's better suited in midfield as a deep-lying playmaker. Has impeccable dress sense.

Jean Makoun

A former Aston Villa player, now back in France with Rennes - scored two of the goals in the second leg playoff match vs Tunisia to qualify Cameroon for the tournament. Nice jumper too.

Stephane Mbia

Decided he didn't want to play in the Championship for QPR, and ended up at Sevilla on loan this year - won the Europa League and scored the decisive goal against Valencia to get them to Turin for the final on away goals.

Pierre Webo

According to wikipedia he's wrestled in WWE and performed in Scarface and all three Godfather films. In reality he's a striker for Fenerbache and has just won the league with them.

Samuel Eto'o

Jose Mourinho's favourite player, having previously earnt a small fortune at Anzhi, this will be his fourth world cup. Scored one of the easiest hat-tricks ever this year against Man United, not a bad full back either.

Their chances

Unfortunately for Cameroon they've ended up in the same group as Brazil - I think they'll be lucky to get out the group, although a win vs Mexico isn't entirely out of the realms of possibility based on Mexico's performance in qualifying.

In Memoriam

Sadly this tournament will mark the 11th anniversary of the death of Marc-Vivien Foe, who collapsed and died in the Confederations cup in 2003 - RIP Marc :(

JingleBells fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
THIS is my new favorite thread.

Seriously if Cameroon can't get out of this group they'd need a name change to Shameful Lions or something.

loving Lineker.

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

JingleBells posted:

Cameroon are one of African footballs giants - having won four African Cup of Nations titles, reached a World Cup quarter final and demonstrating some of the finest defending ever seen on the world stage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KedhyI7lHNw

That sending off and that game is my first proper World Cup memory and im eternally grateful, theyll always have a place in my heart.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Cameroon are my favourite non England national team I love the the big lions

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
The Italian Federation has decided to close the inquiry into Cameroonian Joseph Minala's real age, concluding that this man was indeed born in 1996 and is 17:

never in doubt IMO

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I wonder who Lotito paid off, it's amazing that they don't have a sponsor yet they can afford to bribe the federation.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

The Indomitable Lions are in action tonight against Ze Germans

Here's the starting XI:
code:
               Itanje

Djeugoue  N'Koulou   Matip   Bedimo   

Mbia    Enoh

Song

Moukandjo    Eto'o'o   Choupo-Moting

Allez les lions!

JingleBells fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 1, 2014

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Apparently the Brave Lions of Cameroon are not in the plane, as they are refusing to board it until their federation improves the players' bonus pay for participating in the tournament. Cool poo poo :baby:

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Apparently the Brave Lions of Cameroon are not in the plane, as they are refusing to board it until their federation improves the players' bonus pay for participating in the tournament. Cool poo poo :baby:

It wouldn't be a world cup without this - I was going to mention Eto'o's handing out of watches before the last WC in the OP, but tried not to temp fate. Never change Cameroon :allears:

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Cameroon have arrived in Brazil - but only after the Cameroon Football Federation took out a loan to meet their bonus demands.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Alex Song sent off for a petulant thump to the back of Mandzukic; his uncle Rigobert will be proud - he received two red cards in his World Cup career.

Looks like Cameroon are set to limp out of another World Cup tamely unless they can find something in the next 45 minutes.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Alex Song is a moron

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Alex Song did it on purpose

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-cameroon-officials-investigate-world-cup-match-fixing-003815882--sow.html

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Yeah no poo poo, that whole incident was completely ridiculous.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Of all the players to fix a match I can't see Alex Song doing it. He must get paid a pretty dime at Barcelona after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vegetable posted:

Of all the players to fix a match I can't see Alex Song doing it. He must get paid a pretty dime at Barcelona after all.

He needs more metal shoes.

• Locked thread