Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

ZeeBoi posted:

Close thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Not even Fergie Time saved this Spanish team, but still, getting awarded 6 minutes was just ridiculous.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

tetsman posted:

Not even Fergie Time saved this Spanish team, but still, getting awarded 6 minutes was just ridiculous.

The ref just wanted to walk up to Biscuits and shout 'where is your game long stamina now oval office?'

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Akbar posted:

lol where did you find this gem?

Spain's problem was the failure of tiki-taka and then the subsequent failure to fix that by playing even more tiki-taka. Diego Costa is a 6'2 target forward going against a bunch of 5'5 and 5'7 guys and it never once occurred to Spain to maybe play a ball in the air. Nope, gotta make nine negative passes with all these old, slow midfielders we have derp derp

There is not a thing wrong with what he wrote but I assume you didn't read it anyway, and your post doesn't contradict his either

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

tekz posted:

End of an era lads. All good things etc. But no one will ever forget the time when Spain elevated the beautiful game to an art, dominated the world and hell, thrilled us with some of the best football we'll ever see.

lol is this a joke? their style since 2009 or so was shite and basically midfield catenaccio on mondo drugs

get hosed Spain

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

vaginal culture posted:

There is not a thing wrong with what he wrote but I assume you didn't read it anyway, and your post doesn't contradict his either

Oh it got a fact wrong alright, but numbers aren't your strong suit.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Healbot posted:

Oh it got a fact wrong alright, but numbers aren't your strong suit.

Here's a number for you: 275, my warm up on bench press. Have a seat hon.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

tekz posted:

End of an era lads. All good things etc. But no one will ever forget the time when Spain elevated the beautiful game to an art, dominated the world and hell, thrilled us with some of the best football we'll ever see.

I too will miss the era of Spain winning every game 1-0.

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

jose was right

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

vaginal culture posted:

Here's a number for you: 275, my warm up on bench press. Have a seat hon.

Good for a warm up set but Govt Camp is a professional ski failtown (according to my friend stateside) so your work sets are probably giving hand jobs in the men's room at the Ratskeller.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
The only good news for Spain is that none of these players are gonna be in the next World Cup (or even the Euros) anyway.

Casillas, Xabi, Ramos, Xavi, Iniesta, Pique, Busquets, Villa, Torres, Cazorla, Pedro, Costa, almost everyone's a goner.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Don't want to scare you, but Biscuits is very young and his game isn't super reliant on his physicality.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
He won't be a starter again. IMO he is a very, very limited player who only worked for that particular system with Xavi and Iniesta. He was terrible this year and will be dropped from Barcelona, and from Spain.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

They needed to win this game and started with two defensive midfielders. Good riddance.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Nothing wrong with that necessarily. A bigger mistake was starting a proper shite striker.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Jordi Alba played so badly I started to wonder if he'd been doing heroin before the game.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Busquets is actually pretty tidy and would be just fine as a lone DM in a revamped Spain side. The issue yesterday was him and Alonso being out there. Alonso was bad and old.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
Alonso hasn't been that great for Madrid in La Liga the last months or so but yesterday was just shocking, I wanted to euthanize the poor guy.

And Casillas...lmao

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Casillas is completely done at the top level. I don't know if it's his head or his body that has gone but it's like watching Torres

De Gea needs the #1 slot now and forever

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I've always disliked Casillas big time - he's got one of the most punchable faces in modern football - so his massive decline is quite welcome, I'd say.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The only good news for Spain is that none of these players are gonna be in the next World Cup (or even the Euros) anyway.

Casillas, Xabi, Ramos, Xavi, Iniesta, Pique, Busquets, Villa, Torres, Cazorla, Pedro, Costa, almost everyone's a goner.

Iniesta being dropped would be insanity.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Guys did you know spain sucks and is stupid?

Because it is and I just thought y'all should know.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The Mash posted:

Casillas is completely done at the top level. I don't know if it's his head or his body that has gone but it's like watching Torres

He has spent the past two seasons squabbling with managers.This past season he only played in Copa del Rey and CL .Everybody is pissed with him here , he even got Mole as a nickname.

peanut- posted:

Iniesta being dropped would be insanity.

Iniesta always arrives to end of season in a terrible state.He's 30 now and he's not going to be able to hold up the next two years.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
Casillas was benched in La Liga at club level, had a massive blunder in the CL-final and a really poor game against Netherlands. Why play him against Chile?

The losses were a team effort, but Casillas sure made that extra push to make it happen.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Does spain have young ball winning midfielders not on doping? I am talking someone who could win a 50-50 against your average african male who plays a midfield role in a random european club side.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Spain should have tried to integrate some of their insanely talented youth this world cup rather than rely on players so clearly out of form or past it.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Xabi Alonso both looked and played like a homeless alcoholic who had somehow found his way onto a football pitch

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

hhhmmm posted:

Casillas was benched in La Liga at club level, had a massive blunder in the CL-final and a really poor game against Netherlands. Why play him against Chile?

The losses were a team effort, but Casillas sure made that extra push to make it happen.

Name and past credit.The gamble was calling the current generation to play.Del Bosque thought these guys were able to classify and play the tournament , but they were old and slow for the past years and in the Netherlands game the bottom fell off.He miscalculated and these two games happened.

The team was done for the type of system they were trying to run.

Slaapaav posted:

Does spain have young ball winning midfielders not on doping? I am talking someone who could win a 50-50 against your average african male who plays a midfield role in a random european club side.

They won the under 21-euros but they probably have nicknames in the puerto list.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 19, 2014

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lamadrid posted:

Iniesta always arrives to end of season in a terrible state.He's 30 now and he's not going to be able to hold up the next two years.

He's your best player by a mile, and still was at this tournament in spite of the generally poor performance. He was the only one that looked bothered.

I understand wanting a clear out and moving on, but Spain dropping Iniesta is like Portugal dropping Ronaldo levels of crazy talk imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Commentators did mention that only 2 of the players were over 30 in the team that played last night. The team isn't so old that you'd normally expect such a sudden drop in form

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

hhhmmm posted:

Real Madrid won the titles in which Casillas played at goalkeeper, and he played really well in both tournaments, CL final nonwithstanding. Reina is bad, De Gea didn't have an amazing season or anything, and Valdes is injured. Even if Valdes had been selected as goalkeeper, Casillas would have ended up playing anyway.

Having said that, three consecutive important games in which you gently caress up is incredible, Arsenal-GK level of badness.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 19, 2014

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

peanut- posted:

He's your best player by a mile, and still was at this tournament in spite of the generally poor performance. He was the only one that looked bothered.

I understand wanting a clear out and moving on, but Spain dropping Iniesta is like Portugal dropping Ronaldo levels of crazy talk imo

Off course.He's great but he simply cannot shoulder the entire team.He's going to get run to the ground in Barcelona.He won't we able to play more than 50-60 min a game .He needs to be a super sub or something.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

peanut- posted:

He's 30 years old, it's over. By the time he gets to the next tournament, he'll be 32. He should still be on the team, but you can't expect him to be a focal point of the team anymore.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Football's leaving home.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Real Madrid won the titles in which Casillas played at goalkeeper, and he played really well in both tournaments, CL final nonwithstanding. Reina is bad, De Gea didn't have an amazing season or anything, and Valdes is injured. Even if Valdes had been selected as goalkeeper, Casillas would have ended up playing anyway.

Having said that, three consecutive important games in which you gently caress up is incredible, Arsenal-GK level of badness.

De Gea was outstanding this season (yet again) and managed to look good on a team that was nothing but shitheads playing below their level. He is easily good enough to play for a World Cup favourite as he is now, and he'll only get better.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Jose posted:

Commentators did mention that only 2 of the players were over 30 in the team that played last night. The team isn't so old that you'd normally expect such a sudden drop in form

Some of the guys looked and played like they are forty.Torres looked like and ex-player,the same with Casillas, Xabi Alonso and Xavi.Others may be salvageable
maybe Alba ,Azpilicueta and Ramos.

The wheels came off in such an spectacular fashion I am wishing Puerto starts working for them again.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
At first I thought it was hilarious how they never took a shot on goal, then it got infuriating, and in the 95th minute when they still decided they should backpass 8 times, I felt sad.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Mash posted:

Last time i heard of him was on his first season in England where he was comically nervous. Has he improved?

Casillas was plagued by terrible decisions in this cup and needs a prolonged rest. Dude's great but he seems shattered psychologically.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Spain is out of the tournament so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Mans posted:

Last time i heard of him was on his first season in England where he was comically nervous. Has he improved?

Casillas was plagued by terrible decisions in this cup and needs a prolonged rest. Dude's great but he seems shattered psychologically.

De Gea was bad in the first half of his first season and has made a couple mistakes since that has had everyone howling about how terrible he is, but he has been consistently excellent for two full seasons now and I think most United fans hope we can keep him for 10+ years.

• Locked thread