Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Everyone's least favorite team, largely composed of cheats and criminals, from the country that brought governmental and insitutional corruption back to the first world. Four time World Cup Champions, kings of the skied penalty and inventors of the most boring play style known to the sport. Antagonistic, arrogant and constantly complaining.

Wildly successful.

Italy's mens national football side, the Azzurri are largely a known entity. Second only to Brazil in number of World Cup titles, Italy have been a perennial "favorite" since most of the people on this board were born (up until 2010, which didn't happen). Anyone who lives in America knows at least one guy who's grandfather immigrated to New York on a boat from Naples in the early 1900's and this is when they make sure everyone knows how Italian they are. Their mother makes the best red gravy and they know this because they probably still live with her despite being in their thirties.

A typical Italy fan

This tournament's side is composed nearly entirely from players who play in the Italian top league, the Serie A. Why is this important? Well, Italy's Serie A has been on a downswing since the early 2000's. Now we are fifth in UEFA, right in between Portugal in fourth and France in sixth. Italy's current champion, Juventus, who won the title with a European record of 102 points, was knocked out of the Champions League in the group stages. This is probably indicative of the quality of play we can expect this time around, but luckily for Italy, they have a huge advantage in that many of the expected starting 11 players all come from that Juventus squad, and they play together every day.
So without further ado, here are the 30 players that have been called up by manager Cesare Prandelli. As usual, Italians will wait until the last second to put anything on paper so the official list wont be out until June 2nd:

This pic is from the last Euros so it's only about half right but just look at these good lookin motherfuckers, peep Balzaretti's hair, so luxurious

Goalkeepers

Gigi Buffon

Im number 1
Club: Juventus
Once considered the best goalkeeper in the world, Buffon is still performing extremely well for his club side and the national team. He's probably lost the title of best to Iker Casillas of Spain, but his shot stopping and command of the defense is still extremely good. Likely to be the captain, not only for his experience but for his relatively collected demeanor as well.

Salvatore Sirigu

Im number 2
Club: Paris St Germain
Sirigu is one of the many excellent players that were bought at an exhorbitant price by PSG i nthe last couple of years. He's a decent keeper and has been playing for the national team for a few years now but we wont see him unless Buffon gets injured.

Mattia Perin

Im just happy to be here!
Club: Genoa CFC
Perin is a young keeper who has been impressing those who follow the Serie A for two years now. He's wildly acrobatic and has a tendancy to make hollywood saves, even when he doesn't need to. He has a ridiculously high save percentage, mostly because Genoa's defence is garbage and he's forced in to it a lot. He's a talent to watch in club play and will probably be in the contention for the number 1 spot in a few years but for now he's going to be on the bench barring a catastrophe.

Defenders

Giorgio Cheillini

Who lives in a locker room under the pitch?
Chiellini is a hawk nosed, gangly and violent motherfucker who is an excellent center back and skilled left back. He's an integral part of the Juventus defense that has tallied up a record number of clean sheets over several seasons, and is versatile enough to paly in several defensive positions and systems. If he makes it through the whole tournament without a red or a game suspension I'll be impressed.

Leonardo Bonucci

Well hello
Bonucci is the second of the three defenders in Juventus's system and might actually be the worst one, despite being very talented. Even as a center back he does get forward quite a bit and sometimes gets caught out because of it. He has an awful shot but he tries it more frequently than the other defenders which elicits audible groans from the Juve faithful. Im talking a lot of poo poo about him, but in reality he's a very solid and reliable defender, especially with Chiellini and Barzagli around him.

Andrea Barzagli

I don't know if I can do another lap, coach
Barzagli is one of the only remaining members of the side that remains from the 2006 title winning side. He's the slowest of the three Juventus defenders but makes up for it in good positioning and vision. He'll get beat by fast strikers, but Chiellini and Bonucci are usually there to mop up any mistakes because the three of them have very good communications. Barzagli probably wont last the whole campaign (unless we go out in the groups :v: ) but he'll probably be starting in the beginning.

Gabriel Paletta

Nobody will notice the top if I just grow out the sides, it's foolproof!
Club: Parma FC
Paletta is an Argentinian with an Italian grandmother or something and he had a breakout season with Parma this year, good enough for Prandelli to call him up. The most notable thing about him from recent times is that he let Ciro Immobile turn him in to a pretzel on the second to last day of the season and that he has a horrific haircut. He's normally pretty reliable though and has plenty of experience, so he'll make a decent back up if he's picked.

Andrea Ranocchia

Yeah, listen, Walter Samuel put my head in the toilet again and I had to take another shower, can you pick me up?
Club: Internazionale
Andrea Ranocchia was once tipped to be the next Baresi by well wishers at Bari, but it actually turned out that his center back partner at the time, Bonucci, was way better than him. What Ranocchia has going for him is his size and strength. He's a tall dude and has decent capabilities in the air. Where he struggles is positioning and marking his man. Still a competent defender, but if he's picked I would expect him to get many starts.

Ignazio Abate

Did that Egyptian motherfucker seriously just jack my hairstyle?
Club: AC Milan
Abate is a converted midfielder turned right back who has been playing or owned by Milan for most of his professional career. He's a good attacking fullback with a lot of speed, but his defending leaves a bit to be questioned. He's able to overcome his lack of tackling skill with his speed though and oftentimes his presence is enough to throw off his attacking player enough so that the center backs can clean it up. Currently on the fence as to whether he'll make the plane or not.

Christian Maggio

They haven't picked up the trash in how long?
Club: SSC Napoli
Maggio is old and slow and probably shouldn't be anywhere near this team but Prandelli likes his presence and he does provide a lot of experience. He was Italy's starting right back for a few tournament cycles but he's lost his speed and subsequently lost his starting place at Napoli. Tactically he should probably be cut, but the manager trusts him and may take him a long for the "locker room presence".

Mattia De Sciglio

drat, Barbara's got some nice titties...mmmhm
De Sciglio broke in to Milan's first team a few seasons ago from the youth side and has been deployed about evenly on either flack. He's equally effective with both feet, which is great news for a side that is lacking in left backs. He's still young though and he makes at least one big mistake a game, but he has the stamina for a full 90 and can put in a good cross the whole time. I expect him to make the team based on the fact that he can play both flanks.

Manuel Pasqual

DIO CAAAAAA
Club: ACF Fiorentina
Pasqual's inclusion was not too surprising as he had a stellar season with Fiorentina and is not only an experienced captain, but an experienced left fullback. Games in this tournament would still leave him with less than 10 caps, but he has plenty of club experience and as a bonus, he's a decent free kick taker as well.

Matteo Darmian

Is that a loving Albanian over there
Club: Torino FC
A product of the Milan youth system, Darmian has finally found a team that gives him consistent playing time, and as such has started to shine. He's a fringe inclusion in the provisional list, but he's another player that can somewhat play both flanks, though I think not as well as De Sciglio. I'd be surprised if he makes the cut.

Midfielders

Andrea Pirlo

Beard game at an all time high
Pirlo is known pretty much the world over as one of the greatest registas ever to play the game. He's getting up there in years, but as his position and play style doesn't really involve a ton of movement, he's still able to hang with the elite. Excellent vision and clinical passing make him a nailed on starter if he's fit. He's also an extremely lethal free kick taker.

Daniele De Rossi

It's just an ankle, gimme a fuckin break
Note: If anyone has that picture of De Rossi shrugging that is literally "ItalianGuy.jpg" please post it
Club: AS Roma
Basically the opposite of Pirlo, a physical and twitchy midfielder who acts in bursts. If not for the eternal Francesco Totti, De Rossi would have been Roma's captain for probably the last 5 years at least. He'll play a defensive role covering the front of the center backs and will definitely get carded the most out of anyone in the group. I imagine he's not too pleasant to play against.

Riccardo Montolivo

Daniele and Phillipe in defense again, huh
Montolivo is a poor man's Pirlo with a bit more wide play capability. After a remarkably poo poo season for Milan, his inclusion might have been a bit of a surprise to some, but he's still a quality player and can play in most midfield positions. Probably wont start, but I would expect he'll be included in the side.

Claudio Marchisio

I too don't know how that went in
Marchisio has found it a bit tough to get consistent time for Juventus but that's because his competition is some of the best in his position. He's a very advanced attacking midfielder that is usually found closer to the strikers than the midfield. Strong shot, good positioning and decent speed should guarantee him a call up, but not starting every Juve game may hurt him.

Alberto Aquilani

Ah poo poo, a blade of grass!!!
After a poo poo couple of years bouncing between Liverpool, Juve and Milan, Aquilani has finally found his form again at Fiorentina, once again scoring goals and setting up chances like he should. He's got a good long range shot and decent vision, but the other midfielders in this team might keep him out of the squad given that Pirlo and De Rossi are probably irreplaceable in Prandelli's eyes.

Thiago Motta

ZERU TITULI
Motta is the second of three non-native Italians that Prandelli has called up. I don't watch too much Ligue 1 but it looks like he still plays a lot for PSG and Prandelli has always liked him so it's not too weird to see him called up again. From what I can tell he's still really slow though and I will always prefer De Rossi to him in a similar position. I'd like him to be left out but Prandelli has hard on for him so I bet he's gonna be in the final side.

Antonio Candreva

It's not all the way off you can't card me
Club: SS Lazio
Candreva is a wide midfielder who more often than not dragged Lazio out of losing situations all by himself this season. He's got a decent shot on him and his close passing is good, long not so much. He's one of the few out and out wide midfielders good enough to play for this team, though and that works out well when tactical changes mid-game are needed.

Marco Verratti

What do you mean I have to pay taxes, Im like 6 years old!!!
One of Italy's best young talents, Verratti was bought by PSG for 20 million Euros straight out of Serie B without ever seeing the Italian top flight. He's fast, a great dribbler and a good passer. He's kind of small but he wont be seeing many defensive duties so that more than likely works in his advantage. He's an exciting player but is on the fringes of the side simply because of his age and his competition. I'd love him to make the final team but Im not holding my breath.

Marco Parolo

GenericItalianFootballer.jpg
Club: Parma
Along with Paletta and Cassano, Parolo was part of the Parma side that exceeded many expectations this year. Just five years ago Parolo was playing Serie C2 but an impressive run by his old club Cesena got him in to the spotlight and he's been performing well ever since. He wouldn't be more than a back up to the other midfielders in this team but he's still decent enough for that position. I'd rather have Verratti but you never know.

Romulo

You're telling me I can play for Italy?
Club: Hellas Verona
Some last minute citizenship trickery allowed Romulo to be picked for Italy, meaning playing in this side would be his first international cap. He's not too young at 27, but he had a good season with Verona and was included because of it. Fiorentina fans may know more about him; I don't know too much.

Forwards

Antonio Cassano

Presented without comment
Club: Parma
Cassano was the only one of the "old" strikers to be picked by Prandelli, getting chosen over Gilardino and Toni, who both had decent to great seasons. Cassano offers a little more creativity than either of them and Prandelli loves to act like a woman and try to fix "crazy" players so we probably should've seen this coming. Cassano has done well for Parma this year, especially well considering his time with Inter, and could offer a super sub role if called upon.

Mario Balotelli

Phwoar
Balotelli has had a bit of a "poo poo" year, only scoring 14 goals and for the first time in his pro career, having a penalty save. Regardless, he's still one of Italy's top strikers and not taking him would be lunacy. Lots of people say he doesn't deserve to go but he loves playing for Italy and it shows when he's in the national team shirt. I'll be really really mad if he doesn't get to go.

Giuseppe Rossi

Jozy scored how many this year?
Rossi is an Italian striker from Collo Di The in the Gerzi Nuovo region who had an unfortunate knee injury reoccur on an Italian pitch while playing for an Italian team. Another Italian player tackled him poorly and he had to be taken to an Italian hospital so an Italian doctor could diagnose that he tore his ACL again. After a long time in foreign countries that he's not from he came back to Italy and managed to play in a 3 Italian matches before the end of the season, finishing with 15 goals, which isn't bad for an Italian striker who was out for half of the Italian Serie A season. Hopefully it was enough for Italian manager Prandelli to pick him for the Italian national side because his talent is undeniable and he'd be a valuable asset to the Italian cause.

Alessio Cerci

My loving hair is pulling my brain oooouuut
Along with Immobile, Cerci was one of the best players in the league this season, and the only one to notch up double digit goals as well as assists. He's a very attacking winger with speed and a powerful shot, perfect to team up with a solid finisher and someone who can make good runs. Unfortunately, he had a penalty saved in the last minute of the last game of Torino's season that would've put them in the Europa league, but hopefully he can be content with playing in a World Cup.

Mattia Destro

He looks normal again actually
Club: AS Roma
Mattia Destro came back from a bad injury at the end of last season to have a great year with Roma despite not playing as often as he would've liked. Some would call him a tap in merchant or a moderately talented poacher but he's got some skill behind him as well. I do think he's a little overrated from playing with Francesco Totti and receiving near pinpoint passes, but he's young and has some decent potential so i wouldn't mind having him as a back up.

Lorenzo Insigne

Poverty phone and purse
Club: SSC Napoli
By all accounts, Insigne actually had a pretty garbage season. Low goals, not a ton of playing time, and bottling some big games that Napoli probably could have and should have won. Despite that, the talent is obviously there and maybe with some different support or players he can recapture the form he had at Pescara and for Italy's U-21s. I imagine he's close to getting the axe from this team but he may be impressing in training, who knows.

Ciro Immobile

I can't hear you over this capocannoniere trophy
Immobile has had a stellar season, winning the to scorers trophy and forming a great partnership with Alessio Cerci in the process. Prandelli would be a madman not to take him; the numbers speak for themselves. He's a really promising player that has all of the building blocks of a complete striker. He may be a little raw around the edges but I think he's going on to do big things. Now watch him play one foreign season and then end up in Serie B.

7 of these players will not make the cut and will be sent home to drink Aperol spritz's with their impossibly attractive girlfriends all summer.

Notable absences
Alessandro Diamanti: Getting money in China will be good in the end but it's bad now.
Luca Toni: Bumbling goals in for a pack of cunts gets you nowhere
Alberto Gilardino: You've been replaced by Thiago Motta as the inexplicable inclusion
Emannuele Giaccherini: Standing that close to Jozy was a bad move.
Stephan El Shaarawy: Being injured all season and doing Ringo commercials doesn't inspire confidence it seems.

That's it, please commence racism and diving chat.

tl;dr: Mama mia!

Gigi Galli fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
great op, op
whatever happened to el shaarawy?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

tetsman posted:

great op, op
whatever happened to el shaarawy?

Injured for most of the season, didn't make it back in time to really stand a chance. He looked good in the last two Milan matches so hopefully he'll be in the running for the Euros. I'll actually add him in to the notable absences list.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Look at all those cheats

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

No Totti, no party

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Exclusive photos from Italy's training ground at Coverciano:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

hahahaha 5

I think Italy will go far this year and I won't even mind for about the first time ever. I dont know why

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Fuckin lol

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

Giuseppe Rossi

Jozy scored how many this year?
Rossi is an Italian striker from Collo Di The in the Gerzi Nuovo region who had an unfortunate knee injury reoccur on an Italian pitch while playing for an Italian team. Another Italian player tackled him poorly and he had to be taken to an Italian hospital so an Italian doctor could diagnose that he tore his ACL again. After a long time in foreign countries that he's not from he came back to Italy and managed to play in a 3 Italian matches before the end of the season, finishing with 15 goals, which isn't bad for an Italian striker who was out for half of the Italian Serie A season. Hopefully it was enough for Italian manager Prandelli to pick him for the Italian national side because his talent is undeniable and he'd be a valuable asse to the Italian cause.

I heard he could have played for the Unites States Mens National Team (USMNT)

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

That photo of Destro makes me feel so bad for the guy, seems he just went to poo poo mentally while he was unable to play. Good op.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Bogan Krkic posted:

That photo of Destro makes me feel so bad for the guy, seems he just went to poo poo mentally while he was unable to play. Good op.

He looks a lot better now but Im not going to post a pic because that poo poo is too funny.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao what happened to Destro?

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

quote:

hahahahaha ilu GD

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

vyelkin posted:

lmao what happened to Destro?

Steam sales

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Carrier posted:

That's false, he's Italian.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Gigi Galli posted:

That's false, he's Italian.

Only on the pitch.

This is my NEW favorite thread!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

This is also Pirlo's last international tournament, so clearly he has to retire with a winner's medal.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Gigi Galli posted:

Rossi is an Italian striker from Collo Di The in the Gerzi Nuovo

lol

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Italy won the world cup of TRP threads imo, congrats GD

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

italy^, englandˇ

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014

Gigi Galli posted:

Mattia Destro

ahahahah oh my god

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Out of curiosity would insults against Gerzi Nuova count as "regional discrimination" and carry the requisite penalties?

Also Fattia Destro was quite good this year, not Immobile-level but still enough to get a plane ticket.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Great OP.

Italy will do well since their core is Juvi, but Juvi is mostly poo poo and old so they will get dumped out by Brazil(outplayed) or Spain(out cheated).

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Hell, I like Italy. They're winners who don't give a gently caress if you don't like them, unlike Brazil, Spain or Holland who constantly need their playing styles validated as something transcendent. Betas.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Italy has some really loving good looking and well built mans in their team and they seem exelent in all positions (sex positions too probably, because they prolly get all the italian woman). I expect them to go far, but they seem to be a bit weak in the striker department, no? At the very least, compared to the impenetrable (no homo) defense and the versatile, explosive, technical or methodical midfield (literally anything, they can choose literally any kind of midfield style) they seem to have only "good" strikers other than Balo to the Telli.

anyway my mother side's grandmother looked like a jewish Italian refugee who fled to this shithole during WWII so i can fully say i'm rooting for Italy in case Portugal screws up.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Mans posted:

Italy has some really loving good looking and well built mans in their team and they seem exelent in all positions (sex positions too probably, because they prolly get all the italian woman). I expect them to go far, but they seem to be a bit weak in the striker department, no? At the very least, compared to the impenetrable (no homo) defense and the versatile, explosive, technical or methodical midfield (literally anything, they can choose literally any kind of midfield style) they seem to have only "good" strikers other than Balo to the Telli.

anyway my mother side's grandmother looked like a jewish Italian refugee who fled to this shithole during WWII so i can fully say i'm rooting for Italy in case Portugal screws up.

Nah, Rossi is world class when he's fit, and big Cir has been very impressive this year. I would say that the weakest points are the wide left and wide right. Teams with good wingers or fullbacks will be able to expose this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Don't forget Balotelli, a man so alpha he once celebrated a sick goal by just doing this

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Immobile and Marco Polo are my favorite player names. Very good and informative op op.

Also, shitaly.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
What happened to Totti?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

tekz posted:

What happened to Totti?

Retired from internationals after Euro 2008. He's still amazing for Roma, though.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Gigi Galli posted:

Mattia Destro

:thurman: Great stuff, OP!

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I was gonna say it's a shame Baldo di Gregorio has been left out of the squad but apparently he's german?? bullshit

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Carrier posted:

Nah, he's as Italian as deep dish pizza

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Good op. Since Sweden aren't in it this time I hope Italy wins!

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.
I go to church with a bunch of Italians so once the US goes winless in group stage I can be all like "Forza Azzurri" and pretend like I am good at caring about soccer.

also Buffon is still god-tier so :italy:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

doing all the phwoars. Prandelli is going to pick a silly team.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My prediction is that Italy will finish 1st in their group, whatever group that is.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Everyone's least favorite team? Hell, Italy have been my second team ever since I realized that Switzerland are poo poo, so forever. Forza you loving frocci and mamma mia are things I will be saying this summer.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Hahaha brilliant OP Gigi Galli

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light
Relevant: Requesting repost of that awesome gif where Balotelli is struggling to put on his training vest.

• Locked thread