Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

canepazzo posted:

Here's a wild thought: I'd like to see the Italian top goalscorer this year on the pitch.

I know I know, madness. I know that Insigne and Cassano are way, way better. Silly me.

Its just not the Italian way to play someone on merit rather than connections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Polidoro posted:

Oh, come on! Don't start getting good ideas now!

Don't worry, De Rossi got hurt and that pretty much guarantees Thiago Motta a start :suicide:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Gigi Galli posted:

Don't worry, De Rossi got hurt and that pretty much guarantees Thiago Motta a start :suicide:

I would rather play with 10 men than have to start Thiago Motta. :colbert:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Maybe Aquilani will play :unsmith:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I hope so. Anything but Thiago "dick poo poo" Motta

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost

Gigi Galli posted:

At least you can hope that Suarez looses it for some reason and tackles Motta out of the game and gets himself a red :v:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Prandelli tried out a 3-5-2 in training with the Juve backline, Darmian and De Sciglio on the wings, Verratti Pirlo and Marchisio in the middle and Mario and Immobile up front. The press seems to think that it's likely that we'll see that formation, if not those exact players.

Now that's paper.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Gigi Galli posted:

Prandelli tried out a 3-5-2 in training with the Juve backline, Darmian and De Sciglio on the wings, Verratti Pirlo and Marchisio in the middle and Mario and Immobile up front. The press seems to think that it's likely that we'll see that formation, if not those exact players.

Now that's paper.

God that sounds nearly perfect.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Gigi Galli posted:

Now that's paper.

I wish more teams played 3 at the back, love it.

Though I wonder why he waited until that change in formation to give Immobile a chance?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Gigi Galli posted:

Now that's paper.

I find this highly problematic.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

This sucks, sorry friends :(

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Drogadon posted:

You have no, no idea.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

BREAKING NEWS: The front runner (no really, his name was mentioned by the Gazzetta) to replace Prandelli has just released this statement: "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attacking formations fail to fire on the pitch of the Meazza. I watched Champions League trophies not won glitter in the Milanello trophy case. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to DAI DAI DAI."

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Deserved to not get out of the group stage.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

BREAKING NEWS: The front runner (no really, his name was mentioned by the Gazzetta) to replace Prandelli has just released this statement: "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attacking formations fail to fire on the pitch of the Meazza. I watched Champions League trophies not won glitter in the Milanello trophy case. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to DAI DAI DAI."

lmao I said this on twitter, but if this rear end in a top hat actually gets the job I am happy that I got to see us win a trophy once in my lifetime.

Charlotte Hornets posted:

absolutely

Drogadon posted:

Now we can all support Costa Rica :)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Absolutely, no one looked like they could give a poo poo.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Darmian and Verratti were pretty good, that's it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Pirlo and Buffon were good.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Sandwolf posted:

Sirigu was good in Buffon's stead too imo

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Sandwolf posted:

So was sirigu.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Just in case anyone isn't caught up (I imagine almost everyone is)

Prandelli and the head of the FIGC, Giancarlo Abete, have both resigned. Currently Demetrio Albertini, the vice-president, is taking charge to appoint a new manager. Current favorites are

Max Allegri (fresh from being canned at Milan) :suicide:
Roberto Mancini (fresh from being canned at Galatasaray) :suicide:
Alberto Zaccheroni (fresh from being canned at Japan) :suicide:
Francesco Guidolin (currently technical director for Udinese, Watford and Granada)
Luciano Spalletti (fresh from being canned at Zenit)

Spalletti and Guidolin are the only ones who have won a proper cup competition, with Guidolin winning the Coppa Italia literally 17 years ago and Spalletti winning two Coppa Italias and a Russian Cup. Hooray.

That is about it.

e: Yeah I guess we would have lost by more if it wasn't for Gigi and Sirigu was pretty good. Pirlo was good in game one but you could tell the heat was getting to him after that.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Yeah Verratti was quite good, they should build around him going forward.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

trem_two posted:

Yeah Verratti was quite good, they should build around him going forward.

I think you'll find that Matri is the complete striker and Bonera is exactly the presence the team needs.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

I think you'll find that Matri is the complete striker and Bonera is exactly the presence the team needs.

They'd be better than bringing in Parolo for Balotelli (when BIG CIR's strike partner is on the bench) and using Thiago loving Motta again

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Gigi Galli posted:

Just in case anyone isn't caught up (I imagine almost everyone is)

Prandelli and the head of the FIGC, Giancarlo Abete, have both resigned. Currently Demetrio Albertini, the vice-president, is taking charge to appoint a new manager. Current favorites are

Max Allegri (fresh from being canned at Milan) :suicide:
Roberto Mancini (fresh from being canned at Galatasaray) :suicide:
Alberto Zaccheroni (fresh from being canned at Japan) :suicide:
Francesco Guidolin (currently technical director for Udinese, Watford and Granada)
Luciano Spalletti (fresh from being canned at Zenit)

Spalletti and Guidolin are the only ones who have won a proper cup competition, with Guidolin winning the Coppa Italia literally 17 years ago and Spalletti winning two Coppa Italias and a Russian Cup. Hooray.

Jesus Christ, we're properly hosed, aren't we?

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

i feel like there are worse possibilities than mancini as manager tbh

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

They'd be better than bringing in Parolo for Balotelli (when BIG CIR's strike partner is on the bench) and using Thiago loving Motta again

Yeah this, it's when I fully realized that Prandelli had literally no idea what he was doing and his whole mantra of attractive attack minded football was a pile of horse poo poo. I mean I still like the guy but he was out of his depth.

Sandwolf posted:

Jesus Christ, we're properly hosed, aren't we?

Spalletti would be good but I don't think the FIGC is willing to pay what he will demand.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Chris de Sperg posted:

Yeah, Allegri.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Would love a bit of Spalletti me, if he is still doing the smash and grab tactics like back in Italy.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Chris de Sperg posted:

He's not bad, except for constantly fighting with his players (Balotelli, hm) and having no mid-match tactical knowledge - He's not bad, but he's not the man I want to rest my hopes on.

Gigi Galli posted:

Yeah this, it's when I fully realized that Prandelli had literally no idea what he was doing and his whole mantra of attractive attack minded football was a pile of horse poo poo. I mean I still like the guy but he was out of his depth.

He just had no idea what to do.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

He just had no idea what to do.

I actually shouldn't have said that, he knew what he was doing, it was just a bad plan. Rather than taking the game to the other team he was trying to clog up the midfield to stifle passes to Cavani and Suarez. It nearly worked, but Marchisio getting sent off really hosed it all up.

Also Thiago Motta existing didn't help. I feel bad for Aquilani, who deserved to play over him and Parolo both times.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I have watched Marchisio's red card a dozen times, and I still don't loving see how it's a red, it's hardly a yellow.

It almost makes me angrier Suarez' bit someone because now there's no loving attention on the worst reffing I have ever seen and all about the loving cannibal.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Was the reffing bad because of the red card or something else? Because it was one of those faults where you agree with whatever the ref gives (plus I think Ballotelli should have seen a red earlier).

Anyway, two bad teams and see you on the plane after next game.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Polidoro posted:

Was the reffing bad because of the red card or something else? Because it was one of those faults where you agree with whatever the ref gives (plus I think Ballotelli should have seen a red earlier).

I thought the reffing across the board was bad. Yellows not given, yellows given for stuff that didn't make a ton of sense, weird fouls

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Polidoro posted:

It was bad all over the place, the red card was crap (though something similar happened to Ecuador today, so at least the refs are consistent) but I felt almost every call went Uruguay's way and of course being blind to the biting thing was ridiculous. Italy played like garbage and Prandelli got everything wrong expcept the starting lineup, don't get me wrong, but that ref was absolutely terrible and was clearly looking to make himself the center of the match at every opportunity. More fouls were whistled during that game than any other international I've seen in a long time, and most of them were non-existant.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Sandwolf posted:

I have watched Marchisio's red card a dozen times, and I still don't loving see how it's a red, it's hardly a yellow.

It almost makes me angrier Suarez' bit someone because now there's no loving attention on the worst reffing I have ever seen and all about the loving cannibal.

This has really been the worst of it. While we played like poo poo, it still didn't feel like we deserved that loss. The ref was all over the place with his calls, even between halfs, and Marchisio should have gotten a yellow at worst and if that was a red Uruguay should have been a man down before Suarez decided to do what he did. For the Uruguayans to say that the images were photoshopped gives a huge loving hint as to how lucky they know they are and only serves to further the pall cast on what I feel has been a pretty shittily ref situation across a good bunch of games.

Prandelli's plan for that game should have worked but the red cocked it all up. There was a bright spot that they actually looked dangerous after going down a goal but that was too little too late. They needed that intensity from the start. Italy would have been going home soon but going home like that was a steaming pile of poo poo.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah, it was an all around poo poo game. Sorry it had to be that way although as you might understand, I'm glad it was you.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Robviously posted:

For the Uruguayans to say that the images were photoshopped gives a huge loving hint as to how lucky they know they are and only serves to further the pall cast on what I feel has been a pretty shittily ref situation across a good bunch of games.

Maybe this is better for the Uruguay thread, but they are saying the picture that shows the bite marks was shopped not the image of him obviously biting him. They are not saying anything about those because it really did happen and I can't believe it either. There's clearly something wrong with his head, but it's FIFA's task to ban him or whatever. We're not going to throw him under the bus because no team would do it (even if he deserves it).

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The reffing has been attrocious all tournament long (loving penalty agianst the US ignored) but so far the teams that have failed to pass the group stages have failed to do so out of own personal merit.

Save a seat in the plane for Portugal, we might need to join you tomorow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

Gigi Galli posted:

It was bad all over the place, the red card was crap (though something similar happened to Ecuador today, so at least the refs are consistent) but I felt almost every call went Uruguay's way and of course being blind to the biting thing was ridiculous. Italy played like garbage and Prandelli got everything wrong expcept the starting lineup, don't get me wrong, but that ref was absolutely terrible and was clearly looking to make himself the center of the match at every opportunity. More fouls were whistled during that game than any other international I've seen in a long time, and most of them were non-existant.
The problem with both reds are the refs were just following FIFA's orders before the WC that any studs shown are a red. Not to mention concacaf and caf refs.

• Locked thread