Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
You're not dead yet. Please rectify that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Management
Jul 3, 2011

I had a Mormon friend in highschool. He and his whole family were very nice. Only werid thing was that he was not allowed to watch violent movies or play violent games so he got really into dungeons and dragons. Also he was later sent to Argentina for his mission. I have heard that bit can be pretty rough but he seemed just fine afterwards. Never actually met a Mormon who was annoying or pushy about their religion.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
My parents and aunts and uncles total 10 people and every single one of them is mormon.

My generation there 33 cousins including myself. Only one is them is mormon. I laugh when I think about this; hopefully the mormon church will cease to exist in my lifetime.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Console Role Player posted:

You're not dead yet. Please rectify that.

Can't. Suicide is prohibited. Could you kill me? That is my next step on the way to godhood. Thanks in advance.

something9999
Oct 7, 2013
The last Nephite prophet is named Moron-i.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Oh, I forgot, I stole a real book of mormon somewhere recently and tried to read it. HOLY gently caress what crap writing. Seriously after the old testament and the new testament, this is like star wars ep 1 level crap.

naem
May 29, 2011

BoothsBeard posted:

If you have found the path of Our Lord, let us know and share the news! I was baptized on a spring day much like this one and it was a turning point in my life. Please take this thread to share your own testimonies of how you found our Lord.

Which lord? All Mormons are in training to be a god, of their own planet, that other people will then worship. All of you are pagan gods.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

naem posted:

Which lord? All Mormons are in training to be a god, of their own planet, that other people will then worship. All of you are pagan gods.

This is a common misconception. Mormons don't expect to rule over only one lousy planet, they plan to rule entire Universes.

I intend to be more like a pagan god then the staid immovable god most Christians favor. Sounds more fun that way.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Man I knew this super hot girl in 9th grade from a mormon family. Holy poo poo

but she got yanked out to do home schooling or something so it waslike aw goodbye sorry about the rest of your life

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

brick cow posted:

My parents and aunts and uncles total 10 people and every single one of them is mormon.

My generation there 33 cousins including myself. Only one is them is mormon. I laugh when I think about this; hopefully the mormon church will cease to exist in my lifetime.

It's likely here to stay even with the "less active problem". There are almost 3 people who join the Church for every kid born to LDS parents. From a numbers standpoint, using rough rounding for convenient math, in the next 100 years there will be about 25,000,000 people baptized. That could go up or down a few million because, again, I used easy numbers. But the point is that even if only 1 out of every 10 kids born into the Church stayed active, the missionary force from those active plus any added that got baptized and then go serve (like me at 19) will probably be enough to keep the Church afloat through our lifetimes.

But yeah, lot of less actives in the Church these days. In my Young Single Adult ward, if you don't count all the dudes here for summer sales jobs there's like, four guys who attend and we have membership records for like...80 guys? Something like that.

The take away from this though is that these sales guys are ruining my master plan to use our activities budget on seeing all the summer blockbusters. :argh: C'est la vie.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Devils Affricate posted:

All the Mormons I've met IRL have been pretty nice people but I heard they're very mean to ex-Mormons

My exs parents and all were definitely more judging on her, since she was "part" of the religion for awhile. They didn't mind me doing and saying what I did, because I was never part of it I guess. I definitely didn't get the stink eye when I drank a beer in front of them, but she did. Hell, took her dad like 2-3 years to call me her boyfriend, and not just her "friend".

Could have also been more because she's their daughter and all too, so who knows. Still definitely not as bad as some of the southern baptist upbringing I had.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
I was actually looking into this a couple months ago. And the no one seems to know if the church is growing, stable, or in declive. If you google it you'll multiple articles that each claim different and all claim to cite church authorities. And I couldn't find any concrete numbers on lds sites either.

The only consistent thing I could find was that convert retention is staggeringly low. Something like 10%.

So your math could be correct but the decline attendance of religion in general suggests that all of christianity will be gone in ~250 years. CoLDS will die long before that unless there some huge shift out of catholicism. So i really really doubt your numbers are even close to accurate.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Sorry about what I said earlier, folks. I was emotional and I said a very stupid thing without thinking. Please don't do anything to hurt yourselves. Your loved ones will miss you and I will go to jail.

As an aside though, I'm still very much in the 'gently caress mormons' camp. gently caress you guys and the smug way you shrug off any criticisms against your faith. I've met mules that are less obstinate than the average church member (and had more brains too, lol).

I've had enough Internet for one day.

Take care and God bless! I love you guys, I really do! Without your kooky cult I wouldn't be the hosed-up, awesome person I am today. :)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
lol cold fusion

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

brick cow posted:

I was actually looking into this a couple months ago. And the no one seems to know if the church is growing, stable, or in declive. If you google it you'll multiple articles that each claim different and all claim to cite church authorities. And I couldn't find any concrete numbers on lds sites either.

The only consistent thing I could find was that convert retention is staggeringly low. Something like 10%.

So your math could be correct but the decline attendance of religion in general suggests that all of christianity will be gone in ~250 years. CoLDS will die long before that unless there some huge shift out of catholicism. So i really really doubt your numbers are even close to accurate.

You can take the church numbers and cut them in half and you will have a rough idea how many members there are that are active and semi-active. Retention was really bad in the 90s. We are doing a little better. Numbers I hear are around 35% of converts are still active after a year.

Probably the best measure of growth is number of congregations (wards and branches) because we do not build them around uninvolved people. This shows slowed growth but still growth.

Our prophecies do not tell us to expect to convert the entire world or that we will even grow to be a large minority. I don't worry about it much either way. We like growth but we can expect some times of no growth or even decline.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Yeah, actual retention is staggeringly low, that is definitely true, but as far as raw numbers my estimate (which was a really rought estimate, like I said) is probably not far off. The last time the Church baptized less than 250,000 converts was 2005. 03-05 were all in the 240s, and before then the last time it dipped below that number was 1987. Early 90s broke 300 for about five years in a row. Last 20 years average is in the 280s I think.

I know a lot can happen but I'd think it a safe estimate that the Church would hit 250k convert baptisms a year even if only 10% of them are actually retained. I've always heard "a third" thrown around but, being in pro-Church circles of course I'll hear the high end.

I'm not saying that the Church is going to baptize the world or anything like that, I am just saying I doubt it will cease to exist before we're both dead.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
I think 35% is one year and 10% is three years. Thats why its usually those two numbers. (it's been a couple months since i looked it up so I could be wrong)

I live in layton loving utah, so its really hard to judge on an individual ward basis because there a church on every corner. Actually thats not a good way to judge anywhere. They shift meeting times every year every where. Every few years they redraw districts and ward boundaries. It could easily be gerry-manded to look like it growing or declining depending on the desired effect.

The other problem is people come to the church through missionaries. Missionaries generally come from growing up in the church. If your only retaining 10% per generation each subsequent generation only has 10% of the previous potential missionaries.

Still thats a long time in years, i agree i'll probably be dead

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I stopped going to church when I was 18. My oldest sister just recently admitted to me that she no longer believes in the church, she was the Mormon poster child for my entire moms side of the family lol. So now that makes all 4 of my siblings non active.

The most hosed up part is that because my mother now has children who "drifted away" from the church, she has been taught that she is a terrible mother and is going to Mormon hell unless she gets them back to church.

Seriously the church is so hosed up I'm willing to talk about anything you guys want to ask.

I posted this in GBS before but I need to post it again because fuckin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om-xp14xJsM

iSheep fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 27, 2014

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

brick cow posted:

I think 35% is one year and 10% is three years. Thats why its usually those two numbers. (it's been a couple months since i looked it up so I could be wrong)

I live in layton loving utah, so its really hard to judge on an individual ward basis because there a church on every corner. Actually thats not a good way to judge anywhere. They shift meeting times every year every where. Every few years they redraw districts and ward boundaries. It could easily be gerry-manded to look like it growing or declining depending on the desired effect.

The other problem is people come to the church through missionaries. Missionaries generally come from growing up in the church. If your only retaining 10% per generation each subsequent generation only has 10% of the previous potential missionaries.

Still thats a long time in years, i agree i'll probably be dead

Sounds about right but I doubt they would gerrymander. Even if I thought they were that desperate to give the appearance of numbers (and I don't) it would be obvious on the local level. Cutting congregations down into smaller groups to artificially inflate the numbers would play havoc with not having enough people in each congregation to run the whole program.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

iSheep posted:

The most hosed up part is that because my mother now has children who "drifted away" from the church, she has been taught that she is a terrible mother and is going to Mormon hell unless she gets them back to church.

Who is telling her that? Our leaders do not teach that. Whoever is telling her that is probably going to hell though. In fact there is a promise that if parents live up to their covenants that their children will return whether in life or after death.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
It'd go the other way, take 12 wards and make them into 11. "Look how packed the building is today!"

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Speak of the devil, some mormon missionaries just showed up while I was doing yard work then they helped me power wash the rest of the house. :haw:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Xenocides posted:

Sounds about right but I doubt they would gerrymander. Even if I thought they were that desperate to give the appearance of numbers (and I don't) it would be obvious on the local level. Cutting congregations down into smaller groups to artificially inflate the numbers would play havoc with not having enough people in each congregation to run the whole program.

I served in Utah (Provo mission, so heartland of the heartland) and, at least there, ward boundaries would shift around fairly often to try to split things up because <large percentage of less actives> were all concentrated in one ward.They would draw all sorts of strange looking ward boundaries to help bring attendance in that one ward up and to help spread the load of who would be responsible for the reactivation efforts. It wasn't really gerrymandering to tamper with the ward numbers (as in, it wasn't to deceive; whole goal was to get attendance up everywhere long term) but to someone on the outside looking in it would probably appear that way. Some of those boundaries...

Of course they also had wards that were like, two blocks, so I mean, Utah.

e: or I could just misunderstand what he was trying to say originally, too, based on that last post, haha.

BoothsBeard
May 26, 2014
I am glad to see this thread so active; people talking about the Lord in any capacity, even in argument, is a good thing. I am further heartened to hear the testimony of fellow Latter Day Saints here.

Thank you and God Bless.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Xenocides posted:

In fact there is a promise that if parents live up to their covenants that their children will return whether in life or after death.

Thus eliminating that pesky problem of choice and free agency once and for all! :D

Parents of inactive members are ostracized and you know it, dude. They get bitch callings and are treated like second-class members while the ward super stars receive nothing but praise. And guess what, they get even more praise by associating with and supporting Sister Smith while she goes through "her problem" with her kids. Neat system, huh? :)

Console Role Player fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 27, 2014

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Xenocides posted:

Who is telling her that? Our leaders do not teach that. Whoever is telling her that is probably going to hell though. In fact there is a promise that if parents live up to their covenants that their children will return whether in life or after death.

That is hella full of poo poo. My momo gf's mom told me they were taught that if she married me outside of the church (which was the ONLY option because gently caress that) that even if they all went to heaven they wouldn't know one another.

The church is nothing but a hosed up cult made up by joe smith and brigham young to control people. Worked too. Better than L Ron.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Parents of inactive members are ostracized and you know it, dude. They get bitch callings and are treated like second-class members while the ward super stars receive nothing but praise. And guess what, they get even more praise by associating with and supporting Sister Smith while she goes through "her problem" with her kids. Neat system, huh? :)

Group shaming's like a cross-religion thing.

BoothsBeard
May 26, 2014

pr0k posted:

That is hella full of poo poo. My momo gf's mom told me they were taught that if she married me outside of the church (which was the ONLY option because gently caress that) that even if they all went to heaven they wouldn't know one another.

Your ladyfriend's mother needs to check her scripture and interpretations.

Thank you and God Bless.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

BoothsBeard posted:

Your ladyfriend's mother needs to check her scripture and interpretations.

IIRC the whole point of ahving a million 'elders' is so everyone can interpret the scripture for you and tell you about it. At length.

Also they group shamed her a lot for having only three kids. Their youngest was born with severe disabilities. Bunch of dicks, mormons.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

nutranurse posted:

Speak of the devil, some mormon missionaries just showed up while I was doing yard work then they helped me power wash the rest of the house. :haw:

See! Missionaries are the hidden gem of lawn care that I have been waiting for. I wish those guys were still riding around my neighborhood.

Hi guys! I was just about to power wash my house and my driveway just before getting to work on cleaning the grout in my kitchen and bathroom. *hands over spray gun*

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

demonR6 posted:

See! Missionaries are the hidden gem of lawn care that I have been waiting for. I wish those guys were still riding around my neighborhood.

Hi guys! I was just about to power wash my house and my driveway just before getting to work on cleaning the grout in my kitchen and bathroom. *hands over spray gun*

It's funny, because I don't think it would work near as well if the missionaries weren't white. I'm black and I was a member of the church till I was ~20, my mum's been a member since she was ~13, and a couple of my aunts since a similar early age. Yet we've never seen non-white missionaries.

Do they get sent off to foreign countries in greater rates or something?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

pr0k posted:

They may have been taught that but the teacher was wrong.

Thus eliminating that pesky problem of choice and free agency once and for all! :D

It is attributed to the foreknowledge of God instead of people being forced to a choice (something we hate).

The ward superstars generally get everything done while the bitch members spend most of their time complaining about how they could do things better and never actually do much so they get bitch callings they can't screw up too bad. There are divisions within the membership but I have never seen them drawn by how active your children are.

nutranurse posted:

Group shaming's like a cross-religion thing.

How else will they know how wrong they are?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Xenocides posted:

They may have been taught that but the teacher was wrong.

Well duh. But it was illustrative of the fact that the church, in whatever way, puts massive pressure on the families of lapsed members.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

nutranurse posted:

It's funny, because I don't think it would work near as well if the missionaries weren't white. I'm black and I was a member of the church till I was ~20, my mum's been a member since she was ~13, and a couple of my aunts since a similar early age. Yet we've never seen non-white missionaries.

Do they get sent off to foreign countries in greater rates or something?

No idea. We have a super tabernacle in Windermere which is up the road from me and I think that may be one of the motherships. Another closer satellite location tucked away and less formal is less than five miles and I think that may be where they are coming from. It does not seem like a full blown temple like in the pic of the gleaming statue of largess below.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

demonR6 posted:

No idea. We have a super tabernacle in Windermere which is up the road from me and I think that may be one of the motherships. Another closer satellite location tucked away and less formal is less than five miles and I think that may be where they are coming from. It does not seem like a full blown temple like in the pic of the gleaming statue of largess below.

that is a p cool looking building though

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

demonR6 posted:

No idea. We have a super tabernacle in Windermere

Oh gently caress, I live in Orlando and never realized that was right there. I mean I've seen it, but my brain was like "megachurch, don't care"

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Gihon posted:

that is a p cool looking building though

that costs a hundred million dollars so that mormons can baptize dead people's souls.

this is one of my biggest problems with the church, the have economic power to be a real force for good and charity and they waste it all this make believe stuff that i figured out was horse poo poo when i was 14.

(if any of the real mormons in here says "bishop's warehouse" i'm gonna personally punch them in the face)

sants
May 17, 2003

free beavis
mormons can be kinda nice but their religion is so obviously and painfully false that you can't help but pity them lmao

BoothsBeard
May 26, 2014

pr0k posted:

Well duh. But it was illustrative of the fact that the church, in whatever way, puts massive pressure on the families of lapsed members.

This is common across various religions and is not something that should be done. Many people within the church frown upon this as well.

Thank you and God Bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

brick cow posted:

that costs a hundred million dollars so that mormons can baptize dead people's souls.

this is one of my biggest problems with the church, the have economic power to be a real force for good and charity and they waste it all this make believe stuff that i figured out was horse poo poo when i was 14.

(if any of the real mormons in here says "bishop's warehouse" i'm gonna personally punch them in the face)

It's "Bishop's Storehouse".

• Locked thread