Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9PlxtZu0pc

Armed with one of the least recognizable squads in the tournament and no realistic chance of taking the grand prize, France reserves Algeria The Desert Warriors will likely be aiming to successfully play 270 minutes of football + injury time and go home.

We last saw these charmers in 2010, when as a member of the "E.A.S.Y." quartet they scored as many goals as you did and took part in some sinisterly boring matches. Still, considering expectations they generally gave an okay account of themselves; the goalless draw that was a dreary hellscape for Englishmen was a cause for celebration for Algerians all over the world.

From an Algerian perspective a group with no definitive "giant" is a good thing, and if the Koreans and the Russians both have a good meltdown in them the knockout stage could have a surprise entrant.

On the World Cup stage, the Algerians are famous for being the victim of the so-called "Anschluss" of 1982, where the West Germans and the Austrians essentially stood around a pitch for ninety minutes to guarantee their advancement at Algeria's expense. If Germany finishes top in group G and Algeria finishes second in group H, can revenge be on the cards? :getin: No

If you like anything about Egypt get the gently caress out.

Manager: Vahid HALILHODŽIĆ

This morose globetrotting Bosnian was sacked right in advance of the Ivory Coast's 2010 campaign for bungling the African Cup of Nations (against Algeria, no less), and a lot of good it did them. (It didn't). With a 60% winning percentage, the ex-PSG manager and Knight of the Legion d'Honneur has done well with the Algerians.

Goalkeeper: Raïs M'BOLHI

After a reasonable showing in the last World Cup for his country, the Bulgarian-based keeper earned a move to Russia, though he was shipped back to Bulgaria not too long after. This is a picture of him calling Jozy Altidore a bitch.

Central defender: Madjid BOUGHERRA (C)

Rangers fan favourite, currently playing at an infinitely higher standard of football with Lekhwiya of the Qatar Stars League alongside Vladimir Weiss. Vladimir Weiss plays there? He's actually good.

Right back: Djamel MESBAH

One of the finest players to ever don the shirt of AC Milan.

Left back: Faouzi GHOULAM

Promising young Napoli fullback, one of the team's better players and its second best player with Ghoul in his name.

Central midfielder: Nabil BENTALEB

Any player whose career was sculpted so much by the expert guidance of one Tim Sherwood can't be that good, but the 19-year-old Bentaleb (who has one cap to his name so far) may be something of an X-factor for the Algerians.

Central midfielder: Hassan YEBDA

Injury-prone member of the weird Udinese-Granada axis and one of the more experienced players in the setup. I remember him being good for Portsmouth but maybe he was insanely terrible, it wouldn't surprise me.

Right winger: Sofiane FEGHOULI

As close to a star man as Algeria have and definitely the One To Watch™.

Striker: Nabil GHILAS

Possibly the pick of the Algerian strikers, which is a pretty weak group. Still, Ghilas was recently signed by Porto, which inevitably means that he will be worth fifteen million pounds in two years.

Striker: Islam SLIMANI

Might be better than Ghilas? Like I know how good Islam Slimani is, poo poo. Google Image search tells me he probably makes funnier faces.

All aboard the Algeria Bus IMO

Fat Lowtax fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

How is it that Algeria don't have a single good player outside of Feghouli? Good op, looking forward to seeing them be maybe worse than Australia... ?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Because all of their good players decide to play for France.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Mesbah is a huge piece of poo poo and the only good thing he ever did was score against Juve.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

gently caress Algeria, they're a beta country. Only got in the WC cause they got an easy group in the qualifiers.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Hashtag Nascar posted:

gently caress Algeria, they're a beta country. Only got in the WC cause they got an easy group in the qualifiers.

I'd like to see you beat Burkina Faso on away goals. B*tch

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
I thought Algeria's nickname was the Fennec Foxes? I vaguely remember one of their Puma kits having the Fox on it..

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

I thought Algeria's nickname was the Fennec Foxes? I vaguely remember one of their Puma kits having the Fox on it..

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet ~

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Both nicknames are used.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Ghilas and Slimani look like stunt-doubles for Benzema and Hazard.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Wrong team thread oops

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Radical cleric claims Algeria will win the World Cup

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

Today is our day and this is our year.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Good OP and the team I've got to see raise the trophy if I'm to win all the fishbowl money

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Les Fennecs en force

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

holy poo poo algeria made it to the ro16. nice one, algeria!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

looking forward to algeria beating germany

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
Algeria has produced a lot of fully sick players over the years, shame they all play(ed) for someone else

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I like Algeria. Watching them is like watching a video of a good team being played in slow motion.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Algeria has produced a lot of fully sick players over the years, shame they all play(ed) for someone else

I still remember

the strongest of them all

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

frankenfreak posted:

I still remember

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

This just got mentioned in the other thread: if Algeria somehow managed to beat Germany and get into the quarterfinals their opponent will most likely be…France.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

frankenfreak posted:

I still remember

Joopjan
Nov 5, 2009
as someone who saw algeria vs england in the stadium 4 years ago i still want my 90 minutes back

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Algeria is gonna be so loving hungry during the Germany game, we may see another biting this WC, lads.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

frankenfreak posted:

I still remember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrOLGifnMJk

he's coaching Real Madrid B now and in a couple of years he'll be the best manager in the world just like he was the best footballer of all time and it loving owns

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Algeria is gonna be so loving hungry during the Germany game, we may see another biting this WC, lads.

Not during Ramadan

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
Goodbye our fallen brothers, you deserved better

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Machinegunboyo posted:

Goodbye our fallen brothers, you deserved better

A french passport?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

A french passport?

I thought most had one already?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

:unsmith:

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
RIP

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Algeria loving owned, I'm so proud of it :unsmith:

RIP

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A proper team.

http://www.footballtarget.com/2014/07/algeria-donated-9-million-people-gaza/

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

That's awesome. Makes me like them even more.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

I like these guys :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Both Algeria and Uruguay were greeted as heroes when they arrived home. It's great to see teams respected for when they give everything to their fans.

One day *some* European national teams will learn the lesson :v:

• Locked thread