Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Why did he go to China of all places?

He is making about 12 million dollars a year there.

quote:

Also, aside from like Germany and Bayern, I don't think there's a whole lot of top tier countries that have a huge part of their core playing for the same team any more so than Brazil. All their top talent are still going to end up at Real, Barca, Chelsea, etc, so some of those guys are going to have chemistry together.
A few European nations can. You have Germany and Bayern now, but you had Spain and Barcelona in 2010. 2006 you had 5 Juventus players in the final. Which is why I said that certain European nations will have a built in advantage going forward.

Badger of Basra posted:

Do Brazil (and other South American countries) have the money in their leagues to bring in outside talent, or keep domestic players from going to Europe at least?

Brazil brings in a lot of South American talent. There were players in Chile, Ecuador and Uruguay national teams who play in Brazil. Many of these come to Brazil as a stop on their way to Europe (see Tevez, Mascherano, Lugano, etc). But some of them end up staying long term, like Valdivia, Lodeiro, D'Alessandro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Top pass combinations in the game:

Gustavo, Luiz and Dante were literally passing among themselves within a triangle for the entire game. Almost all of it were within their own half too. My inference isn't that they wanted to do this, but because nobody else was ever available.

On hindsight it seems like Brazil should have hit Germany on the right more. Ozil and Howedes can't be that hard to take apart.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Judakel posted:

I want this reference explained to me.

playing => praying

i think

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

playing => praying

i think

drat. That is really good. I almost think I am a better human being for not getting that, though. Almost...

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Vegetable posted:

On hindsight it seems like Brazil should have hit Germany on the right more. Ozil and Howedes can't be that hard to take apart.

With the players at Scolaris disposal (and Scolari himself) anything more than breathing became an insurmountable task.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Healbot posted:

With the players at Scolaris disposal (and Scolari himself) anything more than breathing became an insurmountable task.

Yeah all those nailed-on starters at top European clubs, how could he ever do anything with that dross? (other than have subbed in Dani Alves for Thiago Silva per Nate Dogg Silver's advanced stats)

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

owns

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Brazilian media reporting that Felipao and Parreira will be asked back. How serious this is I don't know, but wow if it is.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

joepinetree posted:

Brazilian media reporting that Felipao and Parreira will be asked back. How serious this is I don't know, but wow if it is.

What do you mean by "asked back"?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Their contracts end soon, so they would be offered their current positions until the 2018 world cup.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Del Bosque hasn't resigned either, these old men really have no shame.

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage
It's their last chance at a decent paycheck.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Fred's actual, factual heat map for the Germany match:

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Sandro had a column in the Sun yesterday in which he pretty much sounded the everything is fine alarm. The result was a freak, and how could anyone be critical of Brazil when the same group of players dominated last year. Also David Luiz was the best player in the tournament and Germany don't play great football.

England players have more self awareness.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Romario seems to be the only one calling for a full overhaul of the CBF.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Skinty McEdger posted:

Sandro had a column in the Sun yesterday in which he pretty much sounded the everything is fine alarm. The result was a freak, and how could anyone be critical of Brazil when the same group of players dominated last year. Also David Luiz was the best player in the tournament and Germany don't play great football.

Zico was rather more scathing

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jul/09/brazil-germany-zico

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Skinty McEdger posted:

Well, it makes sense for Sandro to say that, to be honest. if he publishes a scathing critique of CBF and their performance, it's likely he'll never play for the national team again. Retired guys like Zico have way more freedom to be honest, because they have nothing to lose.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

It's like he wants people to hate him ffs http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28257955

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Still B.A.E posted:

It's like he wants people to hate him ffs http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28257955

A fracture of your transvere process would basically never leave you in a wheel chair

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

A fracture of your transvere process would basically never leave you in a wheel chair

No, but I'm sure a blow a few inch lower that broke a spine somewhere else could.

Still B.A.E posted:

I really struggle to see how a player crying over missing a World Cup semi final due to a broken back is any reason to hate.

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Puseklepp posted:

I really struggle to see how a player crying over missing a World Cup semi final due to a broken back is any reason to hate.

Neymar is a oval office. That's why.

A oval office.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Whatever happened to Pato? He was the next big thing and then he disappeared. I just checked his Wiki and he's still only 24.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

manchego posted:

A oval office.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Frankston posted:

Whatever happened to Pato? He was the next big thing and then he disappeared. I just checked his Wiki and he's still only 24.

2 good seasons with Milan, got injured, stayed injured, continued to be injured, PSG wanted to buy him for 30 million, Milan thought he would recover, never recovered, sent back to Brazil for 8 million, got fat?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/the-conspiracy-theory-sweeping-brazil-neymar-wasn-t-injured-there

We had the "Neymar faked an injury in the last month of the Barcalona season to be rested for the World Cup" conspiracy theory, now we have the "Neymar faked an injuring during the World Cup to be rested for Barcelona" conspiracy theory.

Neymar did 9/11

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

manchego posted:

A oval office.

Ah yeah. I see.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Montasque posted:

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/the-conspiracy-theory-sweeping-brazil-neymar-wasn-t-injured-there

We had the "Neymar faked an injury in the last month of the Barcalona season to be rested for the World Cup" conspiracy theory, now we have the "Neymar faked an injuring during the World Cup to be rested for Barcelona" conspiracy theory.

Neymar did 9/11

Neymar might be a oval office but he's a professional oval office, at Barca even on days where Martino gave the players the day off he was usually one of the few who still went to train.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gigi Galli posted:

2 good seasons with Milan, got injured, stayed injured, continued to be injured, PSG wanted to buy him for 30 million, Milan thought he would recover, never recovered, sent back to Brazil for 8 million, got fat?

He's being rumored to transfer back to Europe for 5 million iirc.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
is everyone fired yet?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Brazil's farewell to the World Cup: a performance deserving of a 10, if I do say so myself.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
I can't help but feel kind of bad for Brazil following this last match (though tbf that's mixed in with a good amount of schandefreude)--what are the chances that the Brazilian NT will take a step back and build itself up from scratch to be a better team?

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

I can't help but feel kind of bad for Brazil following this last match (though tbf that's mixed in with a good amount of schandefreude)--what are the chances that the Brazilian NT will take a step back and build itself up from scratch to be a better team?

hopefully none

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

:rip:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

who out of this team will play again? my brazilian friend said julio cesar, david luiz, and neymar definitely will but I think he's only right on the last one

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Neymar is probably the only one who for sure is going to get called again, there's no way he doesn't.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Luiz was horrendous the last couple of games, if I were the owners of Paris Saint-Germain I'd be pretty worried right about now.
Oscar looked pretty good imo they should keep him.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oscar and Bernard are probably safe bets. I still have no idea why Lucas wasn't selected, but I bet he's happy about it now.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
T. silva, Luiz for some reason, and Neymar will play again. The others aren't big enough names or were exposed as total garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Should have taken Lucas and Coutinho.

• Locked thread