Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Julio Cesar is not the best Brazil has, not by a long shot. Both Jefferson and Victor are far, far superior to him, and the best wasn't even called up (Diego Alves).

Hell, there was a poll in Brazil of who should be the starter, and Julio Cesar got less than 2% of the votes. Pretty much everyone I know in Brazil is certain that Julio Cesar is going to gently caress up. Comparing him to Barbosa (goalkeeper in the Maracanaco) is a cliche in Brazilian media at this point.

As for Bernard, this was him at 19:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KISCw-7KrHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

chora croácia :qq:

On that note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkunydcZoDM

Edit:
for those less than fluent in Portuguese:
http://lyricstranslate.com/pt-br/vou-festejar-ill-celebrate.html

Context: a song that Atletico Mineiro fans sing to provoke opponent fans as games come to a close and Atletico is ahead.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 13, 2014

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
They should really start william instead of paulinho and jo instead of fred. Not that jo is all that good, but at least he is runs a bit.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Just got back from Mineirao. And its funny how like 90% of the Brazilian fans have never been in a soccer stadium before. They were distributing these at the entrance:

For those not familiar with Brazilian stadium chants, this is the equivalent to distributing instructions on how to sing 7 nation army at an European stadium.

As for the game itself, Julio Cesar has made me eat crow.

And if Daniel Alves starts next match, we can be sure he has some dirt on Felipao. At this point, it'd be better to improvise Jefferson in his position.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Spangly A posted:

This game is utterly irrelevant and has nothing to do with how good the teams are. It's entirely about how hot it is and how badly the dutch are coping, they're doing stupid bullshit and chasing people everywhere.

Spangly A posted:

39, with 70% humidity.

Spangly A posted:

No they haven't, we haven't had a match this hot yet. They're doing stupid stuff because they can't think straight.

If the temperatures are this hot in the other games we may as well already rule out every remaining European team.

No, the high was 32/33 celsius. And lol at using a game where the Dutch outlasted and won the game late against Mexico as evidence of how the heat will destroy the Europeans.

Not to mention that from the quarters on out there are no more matches at 1pm, and outside of Brazil x Colombia, none of the other quarter final cities will be hotter than about 25, 26 celsius at 5pm.

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Brazil are extremely unlikely to make it past the semifinals anyway because thats when they run into France or Germany. Colombia play very passionately and Brazils defense have not been the best. Colombia vs Brazil will be all about posession since both focus on attacking football. This brings me to Brazils biggest problem:

Brazils midfield is also poo poo and could not handle Chile or even Mexico, this does not bode well for them against Colombia much less Germany.

Not saying that Brazil will beat Colombia, but Colombia's midfield is nothing like Chile's. Brazil's midfield problem is against teams that press and force Brazil to have to pass it around, which made Chile and Mexico really bad match ups. Colombia's midfield is undoubtedly more talented than Chile's, but they also are not at all about pressing and marking. Brazil will have a ton more space against Colombia than Chile.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, David Luiz and Thiago Silva have been the sole consistent bright spot this WC. Marcelo is no help on defense, and Daniel Alves might just be among the worst right fullback defensively I've seen at the professional level.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Brazilian media is on full "anything goes" speculation mode. I've read people saying that Scolari will take out Fred and use a 4 man midfield with Fernandinho, Paulinho, Oscar and Hernanes with Hulk and Neymar upfront. Or that it will be the same team as against Chile, only with David Luiz as a DM and Dante in his place in the back. Or that it will be Paulinho in L Gustavo's place, but Hernanes would come in for Hulk. Bottom line being no one has a clue.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

El Hefe posted:

Maybe Brazilians should stop naming themselves after birds, it didn't work for Pato, it didn't work for Ganso...

I bet there's a Gallo somewhere in Brazil trying to make a name for himself.

You are about 20 years late.

Current U20 coach and former player:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Gallo

though it should be said that the animal only has one "l" in his name. Like the Atletico Mineiro mascot.

Jose posted:

Whatever happened to Ganso did he just turn out to be a bit poo poo?

It used to be that the cycle with Brazilian players was player with potentian->world super star->fat/lazy/drunk living on name recognition (see: Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Adriano, etc.). Recently, they've decided to skip the world super star bit and go straight to drunk/lazy/fat (see: Ganso, Pato, Henrique Almeida, etc)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
No worries, Bernard got this.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
That appeal is pretty much just pro forma. There is no cost to it, even though it is a long shot, so most teams will try it in the rare time this happens in a single elimination tournament. Real appealed Xabi Alonso's yellow that kept him out of the UCL's final.

By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if Brazil played its best game of the WC this tuesday. Not that this means that they will win, but Brazil with Neymar was really predictable and easy to defend, as he is good enough to destroy the Croatias and Cameroons of the world, but not so much against tougher opposition.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Normally I am pretty indifferent to Brazil winning, but Brazil playing their best game without Neymar would be great.

Edit: Bernard starting.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 8, 2014

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Neymar's sponsors must be so happy right now. I bet Zuniga is getting a bonus.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Mans posted:

I seriously need to see how Brazilian commentators commented the game and tomorow's headlines :allears:

Ricardo Rocha is literally saying that the players are the least to blame and shouldn't be booed.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Who's to blame then, Scolari? What do they say he should have done differently?

Platitudes about organization and being better organized. Who or what is the organization or needs to be better organized I dunno.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Some advanced stats for yall:

The bit about the semifinals is not true. Or at least it is misleading. For a long time the semifinals were played in a group format, so it wasn't a one game elimination, but Brazil lost to the Netherlands and finished second in their group in 1974, ending up in 4th, and finished behind Argentina without losing a game in 78 (the Peru game), which led to a 3rd place.

On other news, it is widely rumored that the next coach will be Tite (of Corinthians fame). Of course, with CBF, I doubt anything will change. There will still be spots set aside for players some agent wants to sell to Europe, and the team still will spend more time recording commercials than practicing.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Jose posted:

This isn't unique to Brazil

I don't know where they got the data, but Brazilian media has been reporting that Brazil spent less time practicing than every other team (and they said it before yesterday). Which was also definitely true of the 2006 team.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Grinding out those 1-0 wins. Wonder how high he is on Pato after last season.

Another fun fact. Brazil outshot Germany. :v:

Not to be too much of a homer, but I would love to see Cuca as the manager. He plays the sort of all out offense Brazilians like, and has had a lot of success in recent years.

But besides managers and fixing CBF's corruption, I really do think that going forward south American sides are going to have an uphill battle in the international stage. Given current transfer patterns and all that, it is highly unlikely that Brazil will ever have a situation where you get half the starters playing for the same team throughout the regular season. So they will have to rely on out of this world talent (like current Argentina with Messi)instead of chemistry.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Why did he go to China of all places?

He is making about 12 million dollars a year there.

quote:

Also, aside from like Germany and Bayern, I don't think there's a whole lot of top tier countries that have a huge part of their core playing for the same team any more so than Brazil. All their top talent are still going to end up at Real, Barca, Chelsea, etc, so some of those guys are going to have chemistry together.
A few European nations can. You have Germany and Bayern now, but you had Spain and Barcelona in 2010. 2006 you had 5 Juventus players in the final. Which is why I said that certain European nations will have a built in advantage going forward.

Badger of Basra posted:

Do Brazil (and other South American countries) have the money in their leagues to bring in outside talent, or keep domestic players from going to Europe at least?

Brazil brings in a lot of South American talent. There were players in Chile, Ecuador and Uruguay national teams who play in Brazil. Many of these come to Brazil as a stop on their way to Europe (see Tevez, Mascherano, Lugano, etc). But some of them end up staying long term, like Valdivia, Lodeiro, D'Alessandro.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Brazilian media reporting that Felipao and Parreira will be asked back. How serious this is I don't know, but wow if it is.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Their contracts end soon, so they would be offered their current positions until the 2018 world cup.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Fred's actual, factual heat map for the Germany match:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The best thing about today's match is that before it there were reports that Scolari was coming back, and then immediately after it they reported that the head of CBF had changed his mind and he would accept Scolari's resignation.

As for the players, a lot of them will be back. Neymar, Oscar, Bernard, Willian and Paulinho are all 25 or younger. And in any case, a lot of the problems were of positioning, not individual skill. Scolari was totally out of his depth. His last job before taking over the national team was getting relegated in the Brazilian league with Palmeiras. He was relegated despite the fact that Palmeiras had one of the largest budgets in Brazilian league.

Word in Brazilian media is that Alexandre Gallo, the u-20 coach, will take over for now. He'd be the one to start to integrate the 09-11 u20 teams into the main team, and the idea would be that he'd be in place short term, and long term they'd try to get someone like Pep or Mourinho to come over. I don't know if that is true, but if it is I expect a really young team going forward. Juan, Allan Kardec, Coutinho, Gabriel, Marquinhos, etc. should get called up.

Of course, most of the problems won't be solved because CBF is corrupt as gently caress. But at least Brazil will play South American qualifiers, which means they won't be able to fool anyone by beating on dead horses during the confederations cup.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

ugh christ

are they really thinking about getting a non-brazilian?

Pep was widely rumored to be the front runner in 2012, but the head of CBF decided against him because he wanted a Brazilian coach. Given the Scolari fiasco, and the lack of up and coming Brazilian coaches, speculation has been rampant that they'd get a non-Brazilian one. Specially since there is a lot of talk of Brazilian coaches being outdated.

There are reports that Mourinho has been contacted, but his current deal runs through 2017.

Given the current situation, I think the only Brazilian coaches who would not face instant rejection from the public are Cuca and Tite. Cuca has just signed a huge deal in China and would be insane to take the Brazilian position right now. Tite is the big mystery here. It has long been rumored that Tite was going to take over after Scolari. He has rejected offers from several Brazilian and European clubs, and the assumption was that it was because he had a deal with CBF, but so far most rumors don't mention him. I'd still place him as favorite, but the silence around his name has been surprising, and even Globo speculating about Scolari staying (prior to the match)and Mourinho (immediately after) indicates something weird going on.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 13, 2014

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Scolari officially out. Of course, changing just him won't fix anything. Saw data the other day that there are over 250 active players with at least one national team call up. There is and will continue to be zero long term planning and continuity, as the objective will still be to fool some European or Qatari team into spending a boatload of money on some "Brazil national team member."

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Brazilian media reporting that CBF is going all out after a foreign coach. Pellegrini, Sabella and Mourinho have been contacted, and all 3 turned it down.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

To be fair, I am actually more surprised they thought these people would say yes. CBF won't come close to matching even half the salary Mourinho or Pellegrini make. And then they would be taking a job where anything short of winning everything will get you fired (Scolari's predecessor was essentially fired for losing the Olympics gold medal), and they wouldn't have full control of everything, because national clubs and agents would still pressure them to take the player they want to sell.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 15, 2014

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Remember how I was saying that player managers and agents have a disproportionate power within CBF?

Well, CBF has decided to drop all pretense and named Gilmar Rinaldi as the "technical coordinator" (he's Parreira's replacement, not Scolari's). Now, what has Gilmar done since he retired as a goalkeeper? He's an agent. In fact, he is or was the agent for Adriano, Vagner Love, etc.

Edit:
And his first act as "technical coordinator" is to complain that players used a hat with "forca neymar" written in them after the Colombia match.

Edit 2: Some media reporting that Dunga is now the favorite to return as head coach.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

El Hefe posted:

Just by changing the manager won't fix Brazil's problems though I hope they realize that.

They realize it. It's just that the goal isn't to form a great national team. It is to sell players and make a lot of money. The fact that they've just nominated Gilmar Rinaldi technical coordinator (essentially he is in charge of all national teams, from the men's u-17 to the women's) is evidence of that, considering his only experience is as an agent (Adriano's agent, so you have an idea).

• Locked thread