Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
So You Think You Can Dance is back!!!

http://www.fox.com/dance/

All of your questions will be answered including:

- How many contemporary dancers will we get this year?
- Can NappyTabs finally choreograph a hip-hop routine that's 100% contemporary?
- WHERE ARE YOU MIA MICHAELS?
- How many 18 year old girls will you leer at and then feel extremely creepy about?
- Same question but instead of girls it's guys.

All of this and more on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN MISS GEV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm extremely apprehensive about the addition of dance crews this season and from what I've read, it looks like Justin Bieber is a contestant this year... I guess they're really desperate for ratings.

Is SYTYCD in the process of jumping the shark?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
SYTYCD jumped the shark a long time ago. I don't think Bieber/the crews are going to compete.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

First audition of the season and we're already into gimmick territory. That certainly doesn't bode well.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I like the new intro.

They're being super secretive about the crews element. They're competing but not against the single competitors (obviously). They're competing with each other for a fan vote to perform on the performance shows. That's what I've gathered.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Holy poo poo Trevor Bryce's audition. Just... god drat. Does anyone know what was the song he used?

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
I think I recognized Poreotics from ABDC in the few glimpses of the crews we got early in the show. But dammit I don't want Justin Beiber anywhere near my tv. Ugh.

Also, as Mia Michaels would say - Trever Bryce...what ARE you?? Holy crap that was an amazing solo (and song).

Love the new intro and graphics.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Miniature Moose posted:

Love the new intro and graphics.
Same.

Miniature Moose posted:

I think I recognized Poreotics
Same.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
gently caress YES POREOTICS

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
I feel bad for them if they did auditions during the Polar Vortex. Chi-beria doesn't even describe how bad winter in the city was this past year.

And awww yeah Poreotics! I wonder if any other ABDC crews/alumni will be on the show.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Wow, they actually sent a solo ballroom boy straight to Vegas LA.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
One extra question that needs to be included into the OP is: "How many overwrought covers of high tempo songs will we hear?"

Seriously that one season where I heard an extremely overwrought and depressing cover of Grease's "You're The One That I Want" made my physically angry.

I'm almost certain the first audition of this season counts.

Contemporary dancers :argh:

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
So many great dancers tonight. Loved the battle with the guy from Kansas, Cyrus, Legacy, and Fik-shun. Jaja was amazing. :allears: The impromptu duet with Mary Poppins and Fik-shun was awesome. And wow, Sebastian can really leap.

What pas de deux did the classic ballet couple dance? I recognized the song, but don't know what it's from.

And MOTHERFUCKING Break Sk8 from season 1 of ABDC! Bummed Poreotics didn't make it through.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Yay, its back! And so is this thread, didn't expect there to be one with the previous post rate.

Only halfway through the latest. Jaja was great though she should have included some more krump. I guess that means I.Am.me are competing in the crews though? And while on the subject I'm fairly sure we see Emilio in the intro, strange after going out with injury. Unless it isn't him.

Did anyone catch the Australian version these past months? Michael was pretty great.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 5, 2014

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I was so loving psyched to see Jaja and Mary Poppins on this show. ONE OF THEM HAS TO MAKE IT THROUGH. gently caress YOU NIGEL DON'T GIMME 9 CONTEMPORARY/JAZZ DANCERS AND ONE BALLROOM DANCER AGAIN. AND DON'T PUT THIS ON MARIAH, SHE ALWAYS SUCKED.

Sebastian, dear lord. So glad he came back. Also really liked the girl from Chicago that was a part of the ballet company the judge danced in and the sexy girl with the hat.

Miniature Moose posted:

And MOTHERFUCKING Break Sk8 from season 1 of ABDC! Bummed Poreotics didn't make it through.
I absolutely love Break Sk8 but I remember their original ABDC run and seeing their package here really drove home that they're one trick ponies. Still dope, though.

I bet SYTYCD did these secretly seeding people and Poreotics were absolutely not supposed to lose to Syncopated Ladies.

MeKeV posted:

Only halfway through the latest. Jaja was great though she should have included some more krump. I guess that means I.Am.me are competing in the crews though? And while on the subject I'm fairly sure we see Emilio in the intro, strange after going out with injury. Unless it isn't him.
I didn't see Emilio and I doubt I.Am.Me competes if an individual is trying to be on the actual show.

MeKeV posted:

Did anyone catch the Australian version these past months? Michael was pretty great.
THE AUSTRALIAN VERSION IS BACK?! Off I go!

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Nigel tweeted a few weeks ago that this will likely be the last SYTYCD. Great ratings can save it but the likeliness is low. Poor SYTYCD. A great reality show that was mostly honest.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Atticus Finch posted:

I didn't see Emilio and I doubt I.Am.Me competes if an individual is trying to be on the actual show.
Oops, typo, I did mean "aren't".

It was the first episode I thought I saw Emilio a couple of times in the graphic segments. Might not be him,

And I imagine you're right about poreotics, I'm almost certain they will have expected them to go through. Even with Nigel's love for tap.

e: ^^^also it really would be a big shame for it to end, even with the pretty long run that it has had. Are there any other networks state side that would pick up the format?

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 6, 2014

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Fik-Shun is a good dancer, but when he decided to interrupt Mary Poppin's audition I had to roll my eyes. Okay, dude.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's blowing my mind that it's been on for 10 years. Half the contestants were like "oh I started watching in fourth grade and..." I was dying.

I didn't watch the last couple seasons, but I noticed that they didn't have any funny-bad auditions this year. Is that a new thing? Did they say anything about a new policy when it started?

Also, super glad that this year it's finally on Hulu! It was the dumbest thing when it wasn't available and I'm sure it didn't do the ratings any favors.

e: here, have a classic to make up for it

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 7, 2014

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
"I got in to dance because of this show" is the best.

drat, IT COULD HAVE BEEN ME UP THERE! If I'd ever learnt how to dance, that is.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I started dancing because of this show. It wasn't a passion, just a fun hobby, so I never auditioned or was good enough to audition or anything of the sort. But it was great and I'll always love the show for it.

Anne Whateley posted:

I didn't watch the last couple seasons, but I noticed that they didn't have any funny-bad auditions this year. Is that a new thing? Did they say anything about a new policy when it started?
It's recent. That change started maybe 2 seasons ago? The foreign versions rarely showed bad auditions so it was another thing SYTYCD stole from them.

MeKeV posted:

e: ^^^also it really would be a big shame for it to end, even with the pretty long run that it has had. Are there any other networks state side that would pick up the format?
It costs a lot of money so it's doubtful.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Ovation picked up the reruns iirc, so I guess it's possible they might manage a half-assed new season?

Nigel's tweet is a bit more hopeful than characterized. Someone said they wanted to be in the audience next year and he replied:
"you are very welcome to be in the audience, if we are still on the air? Fingers crossed, with the help of our fans, we will be!"
https://twitter.com/dizzyfeet/status/473870363760148481

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Miniature Moose posted:

So many great dancers tonight. Loved the battle with the guy from Kansas, Cyrus, Legacy, and Fik-shun. Jaja was amazing. :allears: The impromptu duet with Mary Poppins and Fik-shun was awesome.

Yes, this was all awesome! This is why I love the auditions for this show more than any other show audition episodes.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So glad this show is back on! I didn't know it was renewed until I saw the thread. I'll be catching up tomorrow and I can't wait! :allears:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I just caught up on this. One thing that stuck out to me was when that first ballroom solo girl got through. "I'm so happy to go to LA."? Bitch, you danced with Mark Ballas on national television!

Just another example of how SYTYCD tries to play up diamond in the rough stories, rather than the reality of dance "dynasties" where everyone is a student or contemporary of each other. Stupid complaints aside, overall there seems to be a lot of really good dancers this season.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
A b-boy?! :wth:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Did that first couple legit end their routine with him biting her breast?

e: omg you guys, did you know that Benji came out and left the Mormon church? :3: :3: :3:
e2: omg and Travis was his first crush after his mission?!

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 12, 2014

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

I can't believe they let the guy who dropped Malece come back. That should have earned him a lifetime ban.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I hated Malece so I'm OK with it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I disliked Malece as well but I don't wish paralyzation on people who commit the grave sin of having me dislike them.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Were she actually paralyzed I would feel different.

That's 3 1/2 (Academy of Villains are aligned with "Supreme Soul") ABDC crews.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

e: omg you guys, did you know that Benji came out and left the Mormon church? :3: :3: :3:
e2: omg and Travis was his first crush after his mission?!

Knew about the first one, didn't know about the second. That is adorable. :3:

Loved Johnny Waaks, the guy with the tall hair (can't remember his name, but he was the one they asked how he got his hair styled like that), and the funky ballerina. And, of course, Jenna from last season teasing the hell out of her partner.

What I really like is that they don't just have tv and movie celebrities (although I love that the celebs they have are experienced dancers too) - they have important people in the dance world as well. One of guest judge from Chicago is a principal dancer with Joffrey Ballet, the first guest judge tonight in Philly is a prima ballerina with ABT, and Billy Porter from Kinky Boots is the other Philly guest judge. I'm not ashamed to admit that I squealed a bit when they announced Billy Porter as the guest judge.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I'm so sad slow krumper didn't make it through. :(

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I have fortunately had very limited exposure to Justin Bieber. But good holey moley do I want to punch him in his adorable little pouty face.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Bieber seems super stoned in every one of those intros. I think the other guy is just there to babysit.

Looks like SYTYCD ratings are improving so far?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm sure most of the cost for the show is just in music. Hopefully they'll just keep it going forever, not like fox has much else to put on.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
Did anyone catch who the first guest judge in Atlanta is tonight?

I'm a bit behind, but so far I really like "Silkie" and Mr. Strange.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah I already have a crush on that Cosby-rear end jerk. Hat dude was nuts, I think he and his mom shared some coke beforehand.

I'm still not over the "I've watched this show since third grade" kids. Holy poo poo I'm old.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I haven't watched the last half hour yet, but how funny that the guy that said "I'm not like the rest of Dragon House" proceeded to be nowhere near as awesome/humble as the rest of Dragon House.

Miniature Moose posted:

Did anyone catch who the first guest judge in Atlanta is tonight?
Ooohhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9jghLeYufQ

No Irish Need Imply fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Atticus Finch posted:

I haven't watched the last half hour yet, but how funny that the guy that said "I'm not like the rest of Dragon House" proceeded to be nowhere near as awesome/humble as the rest of Dragon House.

For his speech before the dance, he could have just been overly passionate. Then it turns out he's just a lovely dancer with an inflated ego. Shame.

• Locked thread