Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Meow Cadet posted:

Is Misty a permanent judge? I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention if they ever mentioned her as a new edition, or just an extended guest spot.

I hope not. I have nothing against Misty but I like variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Tupping Liberty posted:

I hope not. I have nothing against Misty but I like variety.

Her crazy underbite kind of freaks me out.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
No, they said on the show that this was the last of her three weeks.

My favorite part is when she was all "It was sexy, but so subtle, really understated!" to the girl in the skintight leather see-through cutaway catsuit and (hideous) huge red heels.

Cat continues to bug the crap out of me (:downs: DONT DO IT), but I really like that Nigel doesn't gently caress around or pause for a solid minute before the elimination.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 25, 2014

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
How does someone not like Cat Deeley?!

Tupping Liberty posted:

If four are getting thrown off next week, I would gladly see Teddy and Casey go. I can't tell them apart and neither of them have had wow moments. Same for Emily and Jessica.
Teddy had his moment last week. The rest of the time I've been very meh on him, so I agree.

Jessica will never have the same partner. Ever!

Serge/Carly, Emilio/Bridget, and Tanisha/Rudy... wow. Really good. Really fun to watch. Tanisha looked so confused in the pre-tape that I figured this was gonna be another bad performance but man, she got in it. Really crazy to think an innocent blonde girl from a big family from Utah could do any of that but I should really be used to that from this show by now.

Sonya Tayeh's group number was incredible. INCREDIBLE.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Ya know, I never really cared for Mia Michaels much as person, but her choreography was good and had more to do than just relationships. I'm getting a little bogged down with you guys are in love/not in love. Sonya is one of the few that gets away from it sometimes, but she's been doing it a lot lately too. Group routines were really good though.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Making a bunch of 18-20 year olds attempt to interpret love is pretty funny, though.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Atticus Finch posted:

Making a bunch of 18-20 year olds attempt to interpret love is pretty funny, though.

Also watching the guys cringe when they have to get close to and touch their partners.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Happy to see they've stepped away from nappytabs a bit so far this year, and getting in some interesting looking hip/hop choreos - BUT a little disappointed that they've decided to do it in the year where they're shorter on the hard hitting hipity hoppers. Looking forward to the all stars though.

Still, I really like the group they've got. I think I've got too many favourites* to actually call any of them as my favourites.
Definitely no one, or even two, standing out as the winner for me yet. Which is probably a first out of any season.

I blame Jessica for her lack of chemistry problem. Nick was terrified of her, you could see it in the pre interview the week he left. I thought Marquet might have 'handled' it a bit better, but nope.

*Group routines FTW! :3:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

MeKeV posted:

Still, I really like the group they've got. I think I've got too many favourites* to actually call any of them as my favourites.
Definitely no one, or even two, standing out as the winner for me yet. Which is probably a first out of any season.
I love this group, it's genuinely the best they've had in a while. But the winner will probably be Rudy.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

For me the front runner for the guys is definitely Ricky. He's absolutely killed it on pretty much all his routines and his personality is inoffensively charismatic without any annoying quirks.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

My favorites right now are Emilio and Serge, which is saying something because my favorites are almost never guys.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Ricky is far and away the best, and I think Valerie will be the winner for the girls because she's fairly versatile, she's cute and friendly, and she's not over-the-top sexy so that all the little girl voters will refuse to vote for her out of spite.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
My favorites are Ricky, Emilio, and Serge. Emilio/Bridget's contemporary was amazing. When the judges say "I didn't want it to end", I sometimes agree, but most of the time I feel that it's just a saying. But at the end of their contemporary, I seriously said out loud "Wait...that's it?". I wanted to see an entire movie of that routine. Just simply amazing.

I also loved both mini group routines. Ricky killed both routines he was in. And yes, he did look like Captain Hook from Once Upon a Time.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
There's the obvious ones that everyone is likely to have as favourites, i.e. Valerie and Emilo were my early favourites (personal favourites, not necessarily favourites to win), but I really do have loads now. I /really/ like Carly, Emily & Zack too.

So my current 'favourites' are,
Carly
Emilo
Emily
Ricky
Serge
Valerie
Zack

And I'm really not sure if I can narrow it down any more than that just yet!

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
Dammit, forgot about Zack and some others. That's what I get for posting without previewing.

My favorites list:

Ricky
Emilio (been a personal favorite since even before the show. IAmMe Crew!)
Serge
Zack
Tanisha
Valerie

But on another note, who the HELL decided that Casey should wear those ugly grey gym shorts over his costume? I liked her costume - reminded me of Katniss from The Hunger Games. But his would have been a whole lot better if they got rid of those shorts and let him have whatever he was wearing underneath them be his pants (but a bit looser).

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Mons Hubris posted:

Ricky is far and away the best, and I think Valerie will be the winner for the girls because she's fairly versatile, she's cute and friendly, and she's not over-the-top sexy so that all the little girl voters will refuse to vote for her out of spite.
Valerie is the perfect candidate for the Top 10's "eliminated because you were separated from your popular counterpart".

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand
Of course, over the last 6 minutes of the show, our local news had a "breaking news story" and I missed who got kicked off. Help me goons :ohdear:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm shocked Teddy was eliminated. I thought he'd get enough votes to be around for a long time.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

That guys' group routine was crazy.

They saved Casey and Jessica.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Okay I'm only partially through the episode but I have to say right now: Jean Marc Genereux is amazing. Such an amazing level of camp.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Performance of the night was Ricky and Valerie's Hip Hop for me. For the elimination, on the girl's side, yeah Jessica was the best/most memorable out of all of them for me. On the guy's side, Serge never had a chance--though I would always like a Ballroom/Latin boy to go far in competition. Between the other two, Teddy was the worst dancer I liked and Casey was the best dancing I hated, and I would have been okay with either making it through.

Also, it was kind of hilarious when some of the finalists clearly had no idea who their All-Star was.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
^ That was hilarious. Although, I wouldn't blame them for not knowing who Ryan is. I'm not sure a lot of people watched Season 6, which was their only fall season.

My favorite routines last night were the guy's group routine and the Ricky/Valerie hip hop. The group routine was other-worldly and stunning. I like how in all the group routines Ricky and Emilio are the ones who tend to get lifted and/or thrown because they are the smallest/shortest of the guys. The Ricky/Valerie routine was just insane. It was hard, fun, and just brilliant.

Also, never thought I would hear Rob Zombie on SYTYCD. Jean-Marc is an insane genius.

Figured Teddy and Serge would be the boys going home after the comments from Teddy's routine, Serge got the dreaded quickstep, and Casey had that amazing contemporary routine.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Is it a local thing (Seattle) that I get a (barely) standard definition steam of the show? Using Hulu Plus, it's happened multiple episodes now.

Or is Fox just not even putting forth the money for high definition broadcasts for some episodes?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Misty Copeland's muscles... :drat:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/under-armour-settles-whether-ballet-is-a-sport-in-new-breathtaking-ad

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I was watching that ad online earlier and my husband was looking over my shoulder. He said "Hmph, no ballerina has calves like that." What a silly goose he is. (He was also flabbergasted when i said she identifies with being African-American)

Meow Cadet fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 2, 2014

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I shouldn't have waited to watch this past episode. It was genuinely one of the best episodes in the history of the show. Wow.

I literally let out a little scream when I saw Pharcide/Phoenix were going to choreograph something and another one with that Valerie leg wave. Wow, what an incredible routine.

I liked the quickstep this go around and thought it would be enough to save Serge. Casey/Jessica really lucked out getting a contemporary routine, though when they first unveiled the bottom 6 I thought Serge/Jessica would be saved so I was half right.

Valerie was kind of off in the girls group routine and that bugged me but both group routines were incredible. The end of the boys group routine though, my word. What a leap of faith. He almost busted his head! And then they all fall/die.

Tanisha is my new favorite girl, I think. Too bad the finale is going to be Rudy vs. Ricky.

THE ACADEMY OF VILLAINS KILLED IT. KILLED. IT.

Miniature Moose posted:

^ That was hilarious. Although, I wouldn't blame them for not knowing who Ryan is. I'm not sure a lot of people watched Season 6, which was their only fall season.
I liked Ryan and I forgot who Ryan is. He's with Tanisha, right? He is made of only muscles and Tanisha is so small. :ohdear:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I'm finally watching live and on time!

Bollywood was fine I guess. I didn't enjoy it but I'm sure it was done well enough.

That tango was mostly lifts, right? Not a lot of... steps? I think. Anyway, I liked it regardless. Good routine. I like Ryan and season 6, I don't care what any of you say!!!

NappyTabs should take more breaks because they focused on this one and it was AMAZING. It was the good NappyTabs back again. It was good rear end hip-hop, and instead of doing their lame jazzy/story-based hip-hop this was just dancing with the "story" at the beginning and the end. NappyTabs is so good when they're like they were tonight. I'm not surprised Emilio is in the bottom, the routine from last week was on the weaker end of the best episode ever.

I hate Tyce now and forever. Anyway, I felt nothing from Val. I love her, but I felt like that exposed her pretty hard. Also holy poo poo Ade is strong as poo poo.

Cha cha: sloppy. Disappointed the judges liked it but they always like their favorites. He is pretty cool as a person, though. Very positive.

Contemporary-ballet: very pretty. I enjoyed it.

That jazz routine was what it was. Kinda boring but wasn't bad. Lauren, though. :swoon: Her and D-Trix are a cute couple.

Spencer Liff is the best. I love that guy. Way better than Tyce. Great routine. Wonderful. Lovely.

Second NappyTabs routine and I'm still happy they're back. Good for them. What a fun and genuinely funny routine.

I like Zach but I'm not sure if he really gave that performance what it deserved. As a piece, though... lovely. Just lovely.
Apropos of nothing, Zach's reaction to the Sonya news was adorable. :3:

EMILIO NOOOOOOOOOOO I KNEW YOUR ROUTINE LAST WEEK WASN'T GOOD BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

At least Emilio went out on a high note. :(

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
He really did. That was an amazing routine last night. Probably my favorite of the night.

I agree that he got screwed by a meh routine. I honestly couldn't remember what he and Bridget did last week until about half way through the show.

Dammit, I was hoping for Emilio and Ricky to be the top 2 boys this season. :(

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

I'd be alright with Zach and Ricky as top two, but Casey might slip in there instead of Zach.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Zach's been in memorable and I'm not crazy about Casey, so I wouldn't mind if Rudy manages to mediocre his to second place.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Oh god, when I wrote that previous post I completely forgot Rudy exists. Rudy. :eng99: Yeah, he'll probably slip in there above Casey.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Rudy goes too far into goofball territory for me. But he can stay I guess since Ricky is going to win (he's really good).

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
God Jasmine H has to in the top few if not the best hip hopperer thats ever been on the show. Its hilarious that she come on as a contemporary dancer.

Only up to Valerie + Ade so far. Why did Tyce even bother choreographing anything there lovely nothing routine.

e: Well I thought that contemporary ballet was incredible. WOW.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 8, 2014

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

MeKeV posted:

God Jasmine H has to in the top few if not the best hip hopperer thats ever been on the show. Its hilarious that she come on as a contemporary dancer.

Only up to Valerie + Ade so far. Why did Tyce even bother choreographing anything there lovely nothing routine.

e: Well I thought that contemporary ballet was incredible. WOW.

I think the dancing was probably pretty great in that contemporary ballet, but it would've been easier to appreciate if the (lack of) lighting wasn't so intrusive.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I think the dancing was probably pretty great in that contemporary ballet, but it would've been easier to appreciate if the (lack of) lighting wasn't so intrusive.

Yeah, I had the same problem. I thought it might have been my TV but I had a hard time seeing anything from the knees down on them unless they lifted their legs.

I LOVE Miriam and Leonardo. Their tangos are always sexy as hell. I had a hard time getting fully into this though because Tanisha looks like she's 12 and Ryan looks like he's in his 30's. It was a good routine and they danced it well but I had to really bend my brain to look past that.

I have to second (or is it third or fourth) the Tyce hate. It's not just about his choreo but the fact he's a smug little poo poo as well. You aren't that special.

Emilio and Jasmine were okay. I just want NappyTabs to fad into the sunset. I don't care that they can still pull out some okay routines, there are so many a-loving-mazing hiphop choreographers out there that they should be spreading the love to.

MeKeV posted:

God Jasmine H has to in the top few if not the best hip hopperer thats ever been on the show.

She's not Comfort.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

KilGrey posted:

She's not Comfort.

Yep, and she showed that when they danced together and she completely killed it.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

MeKeV posted:

Yep, and she showed that when they danced together and she completely killed it.

She kept up, but she didn't out dance Comfort in that performance.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

KilGrey posted:

She kept up, but she didn't out dance Comfort in that performance.

I think she absolutely did out dance her. And not just by a little bit either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

MeKeV posted:

I think she absolutely did out dance her. And not just by a little bit either.

This guy knows what's up.

• Locked thread