Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
So You Think You Can Dance is back!!!

http://www.fox.com/dance/

All of your questions will be answered including:

- How many contemporary dancers will we get this year?
- Can NappyTabs finally choreograph a hip-hop routine that's 100% contemporary?
- WHERE ARE YOU MIA MICHAELS?
- How many 18 year old girls will you leer at and then feel extremely creepy about?
- Same question but instead of girls it's guys.

All of this and more on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN MISS GEV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
SYTYCD jumped the shark a long time ago. I don't think Bieber/the crews are going to compete.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I like the new intro.

They're being super secretive about the crews element. They're competing but not against the single competitors (obviously). They're competing with each other for a fan vote to perform on the performance shows. That's what I've gathered.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Miniature Moose posted:

Love the new intro and graphics.
Same.

Miniature Moose posted:

I think I recognized Poreotics
Same.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
gently caress YES POREOTICS

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I was so loving psyched to see Jaja and Mary Poppins on this show. ONE OF THEM HAS TO MAKE IT THROUGH. gently caress YOU NIGEL DON'T GIMME 9 CONTEMPORARY/JAZZ DANCERS AND ONE BALLROOM DANCER AGAIN. AND DON'T PUT THIS ON MARIAH, SHE ALWAYS SUCKED.

Sebastian, dear lord. So glad he came back. Also really liked the girl from Chicago that was a part of the ballet company the judge danced in and the sexy girl with the hat.

Miniature Moose posted:

And MOTHERFUCKING Break Sk8 from season 1 of ABDC! Bummed Poreotics didn't make it through.
I absolutely love Break Sk8 but I remember their original ABDC run and seeing their package here really drove home that they're one trick ponies. Still dope, though.

I bet SYTYCD did these secretly seeding people and Poreotics were absolutely not supposed to lose to Syncopated Ladies.

MeKeV posted:

Only halfway through the latest. Jaja was great though she should have included some more krump. I guess that means I.Am.me are competing in the crews though? And while on the subject I'm fairly sure we see Emilio in the intro, strange after going out with injury. Unless it isn't him.
I didn't see Emilio and I doubt I.Am.Me competes if an individual is trying to be on the actual show.

MeKeV posted:

Did anyone catch the Australian version these past months? Michael was pretty great.
THE AUSTRALIAN VERSION IS BACK?! Off I go!

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Nigel tweeted a few weeks ago that this will likely be the last SYTYCD. Great ratings can save it but the likeliness is low. Poor SYTYCD. A great reality show that was mostly honest.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I started dancing because of this show. It wasn't a passion, just a fun hobby, so I never auditioned or was good enough to audition or anything of the sort. But it was great and I'll always love the show for it.

Anne Whateley posted:

I didn't watch the last couple seasons, but I noticed that they didn't have any funny-bad auditions this year. Is that a new thing? Did they say anything about a new policy when it started?
It's recent. That change started maybe 2 seasons ago? The foreign versions rarely showed bad auditions so it was another thing SYTYCD stole from them.

MeKeV posted:

e: ^^^also it really would be a big shame for it to end, even with the pretty long run that it has had. Are there any other networks state side that would pick up the format?
It costs a lot of money so it's doubtful.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
A b-boy?! :wth:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I hated Malece so I'm OK with it.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Were she actually paralyzed I would feel different.

That's 3 1/2 (Academy of Villains are aligned with "Supreme Soul") ABDC crews.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I'm so sad slow krumper didn't make it through. :(

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I haven't watched the last half hour yet, but how funny that the guy that said "I'm not like the rest of Dragon House" proceeded to be nowhere near as awesome/humble as the rest of Dragon House.

Miniature Moose posted:

Did anyone catch who the first guest judge in Atlanta is tonight?
Ooohhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9jghLeYufQ

No Irish Need Imply fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 22, 2014

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I miss spreading Vegas (now finals) into a few weeks but cramming into 1 night wasn't so bad.

You fucks didn't put Johnny Waacks or Jaja through :argh:

Love the Top 20, though. Lot of good dancers I like, like the red shoe tapper.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Neither did I. I guess just to call it "Vegas week".

Miniature Moose posted:

I wish they would have shown the routine for the group that had the weird dubstep music. Their reactions were PRICELESS.
I wish they had shown any of the other hip-hop guy that made it through. I was shocked when they said "hip-hopper" and then showed a white guy crumbling. They spent the entire season to this point showcasing every other hip-hopper that didn't make it through. This better not be another Chris Koehl situation!

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
The audience didn't say "JIDGES" along with Cat :argh:

I like the idea of this Top 20 episode. Smart.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Tell her some random dude on the internet thinks she's great.

Unlike Christopher Scott, who I hate.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I don't like that 4 are going home next week.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

...! posted:

Yeah, Nigel was quick to correct him and say it's two.
Oh I missed that. Perfect. For some reason I assumed he agreed by saying two couples but I guess I was still in a tizzy about 4 people going home!

Tupping Liberty posted:

But I didn't vote for any of them. I voted for Marcquet and Emilio(like I said, they're my early favorites) and Valerie.
Same favs buddy :hfive:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
That's so spot on.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Emmy nominations: I HATE YOU CHRISTOPHER SCOTT but the Sand routine was dope.

Serge was so clearly out of his element but he tried really hard so good for him.

I love Spencer Liff but GODDAMN what a shitshow he gave his dancers. Poor Malene must've known the writing was on the wall. Nick should've gone home but dude was heartbroken and that's always a pain to watch. :(

ALL PRAISE BE TO DAVE SCOTT. I also love Luther Brown and his terrible attempts at putting story into his dances. Which leads me to

Tupping Liberty posted:

Atticus, I'm thinking you'll back me up here.... Bridget sucked in that hip hop routine. WAY overpraised by the judges, right? Really underwhelming. I kept imagining some contemp dancer like Lauren Froderman in that routine, better yet someone like Comfort. She wasn't strong at all.

Edit: Meanwhile they poo poo on Emily and she actually held her own.
Yeah, I was shocked. The entire time I was thinking "is she hitting any of these moves?". That's the Emilio bias leaking through. Emily did MUCH better but also got the better routine.

But to be fair to Bridget, you can't compare her to Comfort. Comfort would've murdered that easy but that's also what Comfort does. Lauren's probably a better example but she also had training in that area.

Pixelante posted:

Whatever happened to... Ariel? Arianne? Something like that. She auditioned for like three seasons in a row with one of the hip hop dudes who went pretty far--Philip? She kept getting passed by despite having great clips.
I think she stopped auditioning. I mean, the entire process is pretty obviously rigged and she probably got tired of it. The last time she auditioned she was let go out of nowhere for no reason. Same with Brandon Dumlao. It's a shame, really.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Tyce Diorio is the worst, especially when he has good routines. I hate him. At least the routine on the carpet sucked. Teddy/Emily's routine, though... wow. Fantastic. Amazing.

I was really surprised that Pharcide choreographed the opening routine because I love Academy of Villains and I haaaated that. Maybe I should re-watch it.

I really liked both hip-hop routines but one was by Keone/Mari :swoon: and one was from Luther Brown so of course they were gonna be good. Special shout out to the skeleton dance, really glad Nigel's opinion was shat on because it was pretty good. A real hip-hop duo would've murdered it but for two people way out of their element in a lot of ways (for example, they probably would've done really well with a jazzy hip-hop by NappyTabs) they were fantastic. I enjoyed it highly.

The right people went home, I suppose.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
How does someone not like Cat Deeley?!

Tupping Liberty posted:

If four are getting thrown off next week, I would gladly see Teddy and Casey go. I can't tell them apart and neither of them have had wow moments. Same for Emily and Jessica.
Teddy had his moment last week. The rest of the time I've been very meh on him, so I agree.

Jessica will never have the same partner. Ever!

Serge/Carly, Emilio/Bridget, and Tanisha/Rudy... wow. Really good. Really fun to watch. Tanisha looked so confused in the pre-tape that I figured this was gonna be another bad performance but man, she got in it. Really crazy to think an innocent blonde girl from a big family from Utah could do any of that but I should really be used to that from this show by now.

Sonya Tayeh's group number was incredible. INCREDIBLE.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Making a bunch of 18-20 year olds attempt to interpret love is pretty funny, though.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

MeKeV posted:

Still, I really like the group they've got. I think I've got too many favourites* to actually call any of them as my favourites.
Definitely no one, or even two, standing out as the winner for me yet. Which is probably a first out of any season.
I love this group, it's genuinely the best they've had in a while. But the winner will probably be Rudy.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Mons Hubris posted:

Ricky is far and away the best, and I think Valerie will be the winner for the girls because she's fairly versatile, she's cute and friendly, and she's not over-the-top sexy so that all the little girl voters will refuse to vote for her out of spite.
Valerie is the perfect candidate for the Top 10's "eliminated because you were separated from your popular counterpart".

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I shouldn't have waited to watch this past episode. It was genuinely one of the best episodes in the history of the show. Wow.

I literally let out a little scream when I saw Pharcide/Phoenix were going to choreograph something and another one with that Valerie leg wave. Wow, what an incredible routine.

I liked the quickstep this go around and thought it would be enough to save Serge. Casey/Jessica really lucked out getting a contemporary routine, though when they first unveiled the bottom 6 I thought Serge/Jessica would be saved so I was half right.

Valerie was kind of off in the girls group routine and that bugged me but both group routines were incredible. The end of the boys group routine though, my word. What a leap of faith. He almost busted his head! And then they all fall/die.

Tanisha is my new favorite girl, I think. Too bad the finale is going to be Rudy vs. Ricky.

THE ACADEMY OF VILLAINS KILLED IT. KILLED. IT.

Miniature Moose posted:

^ That was hilarious. Although, I wouldn't blame them for not knowing who Ryan is. I'm not sure a lot of people watched Season 6, which was their only fall season.
I liked Ryan and I forgot who Ryan is. He's with Tanisha, right? He is made of only muscles and Tanisha is so small. :ohdear:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I'm finally watching live and on time!

Bollywood was fine I guess. I didn't enjoy it but I'm sure it was done well enough.

That tango was mostly lifts, right? Not a lot of... steps? I think. Anyway, I liked it regardless. Good routine. I like Ryan and season 6, I don't care what any of you say!!!

NappyTabs should take more breaks because they focused on this one and it was AMAZING. It was the good NappyTabs back again. It was good rear end hip-hop, and instead of doing their lame jazzy/story-based hip-hop this was just dancing with the "story" at the beginning and the end. NappyTabs is so good when they're like they were tonight. I'm not surprised Emilio is in the bottom, the routine from last week was on the weaker end of the best episode ever.

I hate Tyce now and forever. Anyway, I felt nothing from Val. I love her, but I felt like that exposed her pretty hard. Also holy poo poo Ade is strong as poo poo.

Cha cha: sloppy. Disappointed the judges liked it but they always like their favorites. He is pretty cool as a person, though. Very positive.

Contemporary-ballet: very pretty. I enjoyed it.

That jazz routine was what it was. Kinda boring but wasn't bad. Lauren, though. :swoon: Her and D-Trix are a cute couple.

Spencer Liff is the best. I love that guy. Way better than Tyce. Great routine. Wonderful. Lovely.

Second NappyTabs routine and I'm still happy they're back. Good for them. What a fun and genuinely funny routine.

I like Zach but I'm not sure if he really gave that performance what it deserved. As a piece, though... lovely. Just lovely.
Apropos of nothing, Zach's reaction to the Sonya news was adorable. :3:

EMILIO NOOOOOOOOOOO I KNEW YOUR ROUTINE LAST WEEK WASN'T GOOD BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I remember when MJ died and they wanted to do tribute episode to him, but they couldn't get the rights.

Then SYTYCD Canada did one.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I'm so shocked Rudy/Tanisha left. Holy poo poo. I'm OK with Rudy leaving because he's not really as strong as the others, but Tanisha holy moly. She was the strongest woman left on the show and I assumed the final two would be her and Jessica.

Rudy crying was so sad, though. :( :( :(

Wow, Casey can NOT dance hip-hop.

Ricky is the truth, for real. Goddamn dude.

Gosh Tanisha is so good.

Valerie looked SO awkward. We have a ballroom expert here, right? They have to tell me if that routine was as bad as I thought it looked. It looked REAL bad. REAL awkward.

When you dance with Will, it looks good. Will's dreads. I love it. Great performance from him and Jessica.

Rudy's routine got the standing ovation? Wow. It was just OK to me. Maybe a contemporary poster can school me here.

Will's Broadway was whatever.

Jacque and tWitch was boring.

...! posted:

A theme night? I almost feel like I'm watching American Idol, a show I quit watching a long time ago. Between this, the guest singers, and Justin "loving" Bieber, it seems like they must be desperate for ratings. It just feels like they're throwing everything they can think of at the wall and hoping some of it sticks.
They are desperate for ratings. They're in danger of being cancelled. That being said, Justin Beiber was on for like 4 episode for 2 minutes, max. And they've always had guest singers.

...! posted:

loving finally, Tanisha's gone. I'm cool with the final three women.
You are a bad person.

No Irish Need Imply fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 15, 2014

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Also I hate to double post but I feel this point needs to be read on it's own: Michael Jackson is amazing and created some fantastic music that will influence many people for a very long time. That being said, this theme handcuffed a lot of the choreographers.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Tanisha is good but I feel like the voting public has it in for the Utah ballroom girls, at least over the last few seasons.
I've never made that connection before but you're right. And they've been some of the best dancers, too. Teenagers!!! :argh:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I remember a long time ago when Chbeeb first expressed desire to choreograph for the show, Nigel said no because his style would be difficult to translate for the show. When I saw Chbeeb in the audience I thought "no way, he's probably there to support..." I'm so glad Nigel went back on his previous position because that was great. It was a two person I.aM.mE routine that was very fun to watch and like MM said, I could see his signature moves. I bet he wanted to choreograph/be his own All-Star with Emilio, though. Still, loving great job by Zach. That must've been so difficult for him to comprehend at first and he gave us that incredible finished product.

I liked Val/Twitch a lot. Tappers that can hip-hop decently. Who knew?

I'm pretty sure I like Jessica/Ade a lot, but I think I just like raver girls a lot. I'll have to rewatch it. Anyway, from what I saw, I liked.

Foxtrot, I dunno. I'll take everyone's word on it.

That Broadway routine was so fun! Oh Ricky/Val...

I'm happy with the top four. If Val left instead of Jacque, that would've been OK as well. This is Ricky's to win.

That opening number would've been awesome with 6 hip-hop dancers that weren't clearly exhausted.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
As soon as I saw Val with the walking cane I thought OF COURSE TYCE WOULD

Dude loves to go the easiest route possible for his standing ovations

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
That hip-hop routine was incredible but man I can't even imagine the filthy thing Nigel said that they awkwardly cut to some audience members sitting on their hands.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Nigel said something very sexually inappropriate, that's why the cut was there.

Ricky wins! Good for him. What a good season!

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
They all eventually try to act.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Interesting...

quote:

Fox has renewed So You Think You Can Dance for a 12th season, and it’s getting a sparkly new outfit for the occasion.

The dance competition series will look a bit different when it returns next summer, featuring a new “stage vs street” format, in which dancers will be divided into two teams. Street dancers include those trained in hip-hop, animation, or breaking, while stage dancers include those trained in contemporary, ballet, jazz, or tap. The top 20 will be composed of 10 street dancers and 10 stage dancers, and once the live episodes come, one dancer from each genre will be eliminated each week.

“The competition is going to be much more exciting for viewers and even more demanding for the dancers,” co-creator and executive producer Nigel Lythgoe said in a statement to EW. “Dancers from different genres have always been competitive with each other and we’ve found a great way to harness that to bring out the absolute best performances in the best dancers across the country.”

“So You Think You Can Dance is a rare jewel. It combines high art with mass entertainment in a seamless, sophisticated and hugely satisfying way,” said Simon Andreae, Executive Vice President, Alternative Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company. “It’s produced and consumed with tremendous passion and it’s developed one of the most deservedly loyal followings in all of unscripted television. We are immensely proud to be returning it to the schedule with a thrilling new twist that will bring it up to date and introduce a whole new set of rooting opportunities.”

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I don't know anything about the details of how this upcoming season is going to play out, but I'm confident enough to say

KilGrey posted:

Are they finally going to allow hip hop dances to be broken down into different styles when assigned?
Haha! No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

MeKeV posted:

Word on the streets is ABDC is coming back....
YES

...! posted:

That new format sounds like something I am not at all interested in watching. I hate to say it, but if this kind of extreme change is what they need to do to save the show, maybe they should just let it die.
I think it's become obvious that hip-hop is their most popular style of dance/dancer and the fact that they never choose a lot of them has come back and bit them in the rear end. I think it's an extreme change, too, but at least we'll see more hip-hop dancers given a chance.

• Locked thread