Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
I think I recognized Poreotics from ABDC in the few glimpses of the crews we got early in the show. But dammit I don't want Justin Beiber anywhere near my tv. Ugh.

Also, as Mia Michaels would say - Trever Bryce...what ARE you?? Holy crap that was an amazing solo (and song).

Love the new intro and graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
I feel bad for them if they did auditions during the Polar Vortex. Chi-beria doesn't even describe how bad winter in the city was this past year.

And awww yeah Poreotics! I wonder if any other ABDC crews/alumni will be on the show.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
So many great dancers tonight. Loved the battle with the guy from Kansas, Cyrus, Legacy, and Fik-shun. Jaja was amazing. :allears: The impromptu duet with Mary Poppins and Fik-shun was awesome. And wow, Sebastian can really leap.

What pas de deux did the classic ballet couple dance? I recognized the song, but don't know what it's from.

And MOTHERFUCKING Break Sk8 from season 1 of ABDC! Bummed Poreotics didn't make it through.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

e: omg you guys, did you know that Benji came out and left the Mormon church? :3: :3: :3:
e2: omg and Travis was his first crush after his mission?!

Knew about the first one, didn't know about the second. That is adorable. :3:

Loved Johnny Waaks, the guy with the tall hair (can't remember his name, but he was the one they asked how he got his hair styled like that), and the funky ballerina. And, of course, Jenna from last season teasing the hell out of her partner.

What I really like is that they don't just have tv and movie celebrities (although I love that the celebs they have are experienced dancers too) - they have important people in the dance world as well. One of guest judge from Chicago is a principal dancer with Joffrey Ballet, the first guest judge tonight in Philly is a prima ballerina with ABT, and Billy Porter from Kinky Boots is the other Philly guest judge. I'm not ashamed to admit that I squealed a bit when they announced Billy Porter as the guest judge.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
Did anyone catch who the first guest judge in Atlanta is tonight?

I'm a bit behind, but so far I really like "Silkie" and Mr. Strange.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009

Holy crap that was amazing. :allears: I love it when people dance to unexpected things, like in this case hip hop to classical music.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
I know! I was really rooting for Jaja, but was pleasantly surprised Emilio was back. This seems like a really good top 20. Hopefully he gets to actually compete on the show this year.

I wish they would have shown the routine for the group that had the weird dubstep music. Their reactions were PRICELESS.

Even though they were doing callbacks in LA, I still kept calling it Vegas week.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009

Atticus Finch posted:

The audience didn't say "JIDGES" along with Cat :argh:

I KNOW. It's season 11, folks! You should know the way things go by now!

I'm also a fan of how they're starting the competition - start strong with their own styles, then go forward with the different styles.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
I forgot to vote Wednesday night, but my favorites so far are Emilio, Marcquet, Zack, Valerie, Teddy, Serge, Tanisha, and Ricky.

I'm also really happy that they showcase previous contestants' choreography skills. It shows just how good these dancers are, even after leaving the show.

On another note, I thought it was hilarious that Nigel mentioned the Dancing With the Stars connection because Dmitry, Lacey, Witney, Jenna, Lindsay, Artem, and Chelsie have all been featured on DWTS as either contestants or part of their troupe dancers. Phillip and Kathryn were also featured dancers in 2 of the DWTS group performances this season.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
So the Emmy nominations just got announced, and SYTYCD got nominated for Best Competition Show, Cat got nominated for Best Reality Host, the makeup team got nominated for their work on the finale, and the choreography nominations are as follows:

Christopher Scott routines - Trigger, Sand, and The Gravel Road
Mandy Moore routines - Edge Of Glory, Feelin' Good, and I Can't Make You Love Me
Tabitha and Napoleon routines - Puttin' On The Ritz, Gold Rush, and Run The World
Travis Wall routines - Hanging By A Thread, Wicked Games, and Medicine

Here's hoping Cat finally wins that Emmy and we get to see the choreographers/dancers perform on the Emmys like they did last year. That was awesome.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
My favorites of the night:

* The Skeleton hip hop (Serge/Carly) - I thought this was just really cool. I could watch it over and over again. No clue why Nigel hated it.

* Stay With Me hip hop (Zach/Jacque) - drat...Zach is just really versatile. I love how intricate Mari and Keone's choreography is, and how it exploded from the floor to across the stage when the music picked up.

* The French contemporary (Teddy/Emily) - They really pulled that one off. You could feel the emotion through the screen.

* Happy jive (Emilio/Bridget) - Not the most technically brilliant, but a whole lot of fun.

* Viennese waltz (Ricky/Valerie) - I want her dress. It was so pretty, and the dance was adorable.

"Funkier Than a Mosquito's Tweeter" wins the best song title award of the night. But I didn't like the dance...it was kinda boring.

Glad Stanley went home because Emilio and Teddy are 2 of my favorites in the competition. However, Fox's website requires you to log in with Facebook, and since I don't want any more Facebook spam on my wall (nor do I want to download their app) I'll just have to not vote this year. Sorry guys.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
My favorites are Ricky, Emilio, and Serge. Emilio/Bridget's contemporary was amazing. When the judges say "I didn't want it to end", I sometimes agree, but most of the time I feel that it's just a saying. But at the end of their contemporary, I seriously said out loud "Wait...that's it?". I wanted to see an entire movie of that routine. Just simply amazing.

I also loved both mini group routines. Ricky killed both routines he was in. And yes, he did look like Captain Hook from Once Upon a Time.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
Dammit, forgot about Zack and some others. That's what I get for posting without previewing.

My favorites list:

Ricky
Emilio (been a personal favorite since even before the show. IAmMe Crew!)
Serge
Zack
Tanisha
Valerie

But on another note, who the HELL decided that Casey should wear those ugly grey gym shorts over his costume? I liked her costume - reminded me of Katniss from The Hunger Games. But his would have been a whole lot better if they got rid of those shorts and let him have whatever he was wearing underneath them be his pants (but a bit looser).

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
^ That was hilarious. Although, I wouldn't blame them for not knowing who Ryan is. I'm not sure a lot of people watched Season 6, which was their only fall season.

My favorite routines last night were the guy's group routine and the Ricky/Valerie hip hop. The group routine was other-worldly and stunning. I like how in all the group routines Ricky and Emilio are the ones who tend to get lifted and/or thrown because they are the smallest/shortest of the guys. The Ricky/Valerie routine was just insane. It was hard, fun, and just brilliant.

Also, never thought I would hear Rob Zombie on SYTYCD. Jean-Marc is an insane genius.

Figured Teddy and Serge would be the boys going home after the comments from Teddy's routine, Serge got the dreaded quickstep, and Casey had that amazing contemporary routine.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
He really did. That was an amazing routine last night. Probably my favorite of the night.

I agree that he got screwed by a meh routine. I honestly couldn't remember what he and Bridget did last week until about half way through the show.

Dammit, I was hoping for Emilio and Ricky to be the top 2 boys this season. :(

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
Did anyone watch the show tonight?

What I liked:

Phillip Chbeeb! I knew from following him on Twitter that he was choreographing tonight, and I really liked his routine. Zack surprised me by actually keeping up with Fik-shun. It was funny that I could recognize some of Phillip's "signature moves" in the routine. Although, I wonder if they were waiting Emilio to be voted off before Phillip could choreograph. The timing was a bit odd.

Ricky is just an adorable, talented hobbit. And his solos always have great music. His solo tonight was especially amazing. PluAres his reactions to everything are just great.

The beginning of the 99 Red Balloons routine. I would break every bone in my body if I attempted to do that.

Yay Ricky and Zach are the top 2 guys!

What I didn't like:

The hip hop wedding routine. I love Twitch, but I thought Valerie was a bit weak in that routine, and it was just odd. Plus I had high school flashbacks from hearing that Usher song.

The foxtrot could have been a lot better. They sorta had fake smiles on, and it wasn't as smooth as it should have been.

The "Tokyo nightclub" routine felt like it was the sequel to Mark's routine from last season, with the "strut while the guy's holding my hair" move and the weird costumes.

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
No no no, there is no beef between them. Emilio and Phillip are really good friends - they dance in the same crew (along with Jaja Vankova, who made it most of the way through Vegas Hollywood Week), work on different projects together, etc. In fact, quite a few of the routines that Phillip has choreographed and put on YouTube has Emilio in them. The producers might have thought it would be biased to have Phillip choreograph for someone he's actively worked with before (and probably after) the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miniature Moose
Mar 14, 2009
The best routines of the night were the Zack/Ricky hip hop and the Zack/Aaron tap. The hip hop was intense and hard, and the tap was great story telling.

To me, it's definitely between Ricky and Zack. I would be really happy if either of those two won. Ricky has killed it every single week, and Zack has grown a whole lot this season. It was interesting to see that Zack almost didn't make it to Hollywood Week. I still would have liked to see Emilio in the top 4 (For me all season, I was gunning for Ricky and Emilio to be the top 2 guys), but it is what it is. I think Jessica has also grown a lot this season, and I've never really cared for Valerie. She's never really stood out to me.

Ricky still has the best taste in music when it comes to his solos.

Ricky still has the best reactions to things, like when he heard Jesse Tyler Ferguson's little chant to him. Dear lord, I was practically dying from laughter when that happened, especially when Ricky started hiding in his shirt.

Nigel getting smacked in the face by Cat was hilarious.

Where the hell is the Bollywood fusion group that won their prelim round back during the audition episodes? Are they performing at the finale?

The opening group routine was beautiful.

One thing that I would have loved for them to do was that during top 10 week, have each dancer pair up with a winner from the previous 10 seasons. But apparently there was a lot of drama during Season 3 (does anyone know why?), and according to Mary's AMA from last week, she hasn't heard from Sabra in years.

EDIT: Just a thought - I'm sad that competition is essentially over, because I would have loved to see Ricky and Billy Bell do a routine together. God, just imagine how that would look.

Miniature Moose fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 2, 2014

• Locked thread