Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
So many of the indie games that come out are indistinguishable from each other, all pretentious iterative trash in the same easy to recreate genres with no real imagination or ingenuity to them. It's sad when I'm trying to think of a recent counter-example and Super Time Force is seriously the only thing I can think of.

Here, let's just pick the most recent indie game released on Steam:

quote:

Monochroma offers a deeply visual, intellectual and emotional experience. The game has a unique approach to storytelling without using any written or spoken words. Therefore it requires the player to be actively involved to understand the narrative. The story itself becomes part of the puzzle. Gameplay, visuals and the very limited color palette are used in an expressionist way to help telling the story. The player will find lots of references to other movies, books and games in the dystopian world of Monochroma. The challenge of the game is to make the player think about himself, his role in the society and the system we're living in.

The gameplay, deriving from the story, consists of a boy that has to take care of his younger brother who injures his leg in the beginning of the game. The younger brother is afraid of the dark therefore the player can only put him down under the light to be able to jump higher and move faster but the player can't leave him behind just as in real life.

Monochroma features realistic locations and puzzles blending with the environment. Puzzle designs are far from the arbitrary trial and error gameplay but still challenging. If the players dies the game has a fast checkpoint system that doesn't punish the player.

Oh look, it's every other loving indie game ever made! A black and white puzzle platformer with a pretentious story and a quirky main character. Alright, indie game designers, we get it, you liked Sin City and Portal, or Braid, or whatever. So did everyone else, but we've moved on. Let's just scroll through Steam's indie category and see how many we can find:

Closure

Limbo

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (ugh)

The Bridge

Not enough examples? Let's expand our search to include games that aren't black and white, but just replace the white with one bright colour:

The Desolate Hope

Child of Light

A Walk in the Dark

Nihilumbra

This was a very casual search. Expand the search to include pixel art, and there's way more. Expand the search to include 3D games that are still the exact same poo poo, and there's even way more than that.

This is, of course, just one example of the few genres that indie games keep retreading over and over again. Every one of us could recite them in our sleep. There's action platformers, tower defense, bullet hell, Slender-style horror poo poo, lovely adventure games, and of course, my least favourite genre of all time, the "there's no gameplay but it's 'atmospheric' and 'narrative'" genre.

Of course, it might sound like I'm blaming the developers, but I'm not. You see, tons of indie games come out every month, and tons of them aren't the exact same puzzle platformer poo poo, but people don't buy those, people don't share them with their friends, and they don't easily get on Steam, where they have a shot of getting noticed and purchased. The problem with indie games is the same problem with AAA games and the same problem with Hollywood. People want the same old poo poo, and if you're offering something new and different, let alone genuinely good, it's going to take a miracle to make it successful. And from then on, that'll get ripped off by everyone too. If gamers were the magical community of innovation loving, creativity starved individualists they pretended to be, more than two actually innovative indie games a year would be able to break away from the herd.

Meanwhile, what's on the top of Steam's indie charts? Sequels. Spiritual successors. Clones.

AAA, full priced games have more creativity in their popular releases in one off month than indie gaming has in their popular releases all year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

El Generico posted:

AAA, full priced games have more creativity in their popular releases in one off month than indie gaming has in their popular releases all year.
Child of Light is an "AAA UBISOFT" game :ssh: By our own evidence, AAA is just as creatively bankrupt as indie games.

But yea indie games have gotten pretty bad in the past year. Transistor was really good (albiet a bit flawed). I think there are still good indie games being made but they're obstructed by being 99% poo poo.

It's all generic "INDIE PLATFORMER-PUZZLE WITH [X GIMMICK]" or lovely "point n click adventure" games. I wouldn't mind indie games of other genres but god drat gently caress those two genre. I seriously don't see the target audience for generic indie platformer #93224023423. They always just sit in everyone's backlog.

And it's not god drat 1992 anymore, we don't need lovely boring point n click games that aren't made by DoubleFine (and even DF kinda sucks)

Worst is when they throw in "RETRO PIXEL GRAPHICS!" as a feature because they're too cheap to hire a starving artist to make sprites or something. 8 bit graphics look like a gigantic turd is smeared on my screen, thanks devs

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 29, 2014

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
indie is a marketing term that means you're not allowed to judge it by normal quality standards

indie games have always been poo poo

Dec 26, 2012

Liquid Penguins posted:

indie is a marketing term that means you're not allowed to judge it by normal quality standards

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
guacamelee is a good game

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

zen death robot posted:

AAA = Garbage for idiots
Indie = Art

simple OP

Indie = Fart

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Liquid Penguins posted:

disagree

i think there was a period around the time of early HIB, Steam Bundles, etc where indie games were pretty good. even up until a year ago be fore the flood gates, the quality:noise ratio was relatively high.

Spelunky
Binding of Isaac
Super Meat Boy (i didnt like this but a lot did)
Guacamelee
Gone Home
Hero Siege
Marlow Briggs
Don't Starve
Monaco
Rogue Legacy
FTL
Staney Parable
Bastion
Transistor
Terraria
Starbound
Outlast
Papers, Please
Nidhogg
Torchlight
Chivalry
Braid (yea despite being pretentious and one of the first indie platformers+twist to come out and it was kinda neat to play at the time)
Expeditions: Conquistadors
La Mulana
Unholy Heights
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Valdis Story
Papo & Yo
Desktop Dungeons
Dungeons of Dredmore
One Way Heroics
Risk of Rain
Path of Exile
Cave Story
Banner Saga
Intake
Banished
Escape Goat 2
Kentucky Route Zero
Sir, You are being Hunted
FEZ
Van Helsing 1+2
Recettear
SpaceChem
The Swapper
Miasmata
Magrunner
Dustforce
Hotline Miami
Gunpoint
Sang Froid

obvious some are better than others and i missed a lot/might have included a few non ones and some of them aren't everyones cup of tea but that's a pretty good list of generally well-done and acceptable fun indie games.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 29, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Sir, You are being hunted

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Gone Home (& to some extent Starbound) but no Dustforce what kind of list is this.

Also you're right both AAA and indie games are trash play old games instead.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Falsum posted:

Gone Home (& to some extent Starbound) but no Dustforce what kind of list is this.

eh i forgot about dustforce. it was a well done indie game at the time even tho i don't really like platformers. yea gone homo was overrated and not worth the $25 but it was cool at typical indie game price of $5 to explore some 90s house.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Actually, OP, all games are good and should be treasured for what makes them unique.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Falsum posted:

something about showing your girl how to do a two minute facility in run in goldeneye while she's snuggled up to you on the couch and the transistor OST is pumping thru sonos really makes you appreciate coming back to "childish things" as an adult

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Xaris posted:

eh i forgot about dustforce. it was a well done indie game at the time even tho i don't really like platformers. yea gone homo was overrated and not worth the $25 but it was cool at typical indie game price of $5 to explore some 90s house.

Tbh if you just ask nicely to the old lady down the street you can visit a house for free and learn about an actual family and not a fake one with lives full of ~shocking twists~

Also IMO Dustforce is pretty special in that it feels like the only recent platformer (indie at least; I get the same feeling with the new Rayman games) that's 'modern' and doesn't pay homage to the old platformers. I love SMB & all those other ones but I think Dustforce is really innovative and tried to push 2d platformer gameplay in a new direction.

Falsum fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 29, 2014

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
if you like a game

call it a game

calling something you like "indie" seems kinda insulting and pointless

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Xaris posted:

i think there was a period around the time of early HIB, Steam Bundles, etc where indie games were pretty good.

Thus, "indie games have gone to poo poo", not "indie games were always poo poo".

Xaris posted:

Binding of Isaac

gently caress this godawful game, lovely twin stick shooter style game, worst use of the term 'roguelike', awful gross-out psuedo-artsy bullshit, pretentious gently caress I HATE HTIS GAME I HAT EIT SO MUCH

quote:

Gone Home

I mentioned this exact type of game as being godawful. This and Dear Esther can go gently caress themselves.

quote:

Terraria
Starbound

2D Minecraft clones, the height of innovation.

quote:

FEZ
The Swapper

Both exactly the kind of "puzzle platformer + gimmick" games I'm talking about.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I hate FEZ so much gently caress you goons who were all over that game it's the biggest waste of 2.50$ I ever bought.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

El Generico posted:

Both exactly the kind of "puzzle platformer + gimmick" games I'm talking about.

i thought the op was a copy paste lol

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
euro truck simulator 2

it's good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i am lost and somehow ended up on the first page of the steam thread

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Euro Truck Simulator feels like an elaborate prank by goons.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Falsum posted:

Euro Truck Simulator feels like an elaborate prank by goons.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
Was there a moody black and white platformer before limbo?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Abandon posted:

Was there a moody black and white platformer before limbo?

Canabalt?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
no one will remember fez, they will only remember how crazy phil fish was

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
That wasn't moody

I got this poo poo piece called "badland" for iphone recently because it had won some design award (lol) and I was pretty steamed, it mindlessly ripped off the limbo graphics and was based on a single stupid gameplay mechanic and completely failed to be fun to play

Then again limbo wasn't that fun to play either but at least it had ambience

I think what I'm trying to say is gently caress all this poo poo and piss

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

is that super time force game actually good?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

is that super time force game actually good?
it looks really good but it's xbox only until their timed exclusivity runs out.

El Generico posted:

gently caress this godawful game, lovely twin stick shooter style game, worst use of the term 'roguelike', awful gross-out psuedo-artsy bullshit, pretentious gently caress I HATE HTIS GAME I HAT EIT SO MUCH
it's good

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm just mad that Xaris called Nidhogg a good game

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Nidhogg was a pretty good game. its like mount your friends - its a good party game

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Fez had some nice sound and aesthetics and if it was more of a exploratory metroidvania than an obtuse puzzler/cryptogram game it would be a lot better.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
a multiplayer-only game with unplayable netcode is totally insane in 2014. it's basically not playable for the majority of the people who would be interested in it, and if you have close by who you can regularly get together with to play something as niche as Nidhogg your life deserves to be made into a documentary because some weird things have happened in it

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

if the netcode blows that sucks but everyone i've ever shown the game loved it and wanted to try it a bunch of times. maybe make friends with similar interests to you IronicDongz? :shobban:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I dunno man I've not been able to get anyone to play 'norse mythos read based fighting-game-esque 2d tug of war fencing game' for any amount of time, it's kind of a niche thing? it's not smash bros or an FPS.
and either way 'multiplayer only game with god-awful netcode' is still insane

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

At least it has netcode I guess. Looking at you, towerfall.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

heh looks like someone doesn't get art.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Liquid Penguins posted:

Get this goon a PhD in the truth

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

I dunno man I've not been able to get anyone to play 'norse mythos read based fighting-game-esque 2d tug of war fencing game' for any amount of time, it's kind of a niche thing? it's not smash bros or an FPS.
and either way 'multiplayer only game with god-awful netcode' is still insane

I just tell them its a fun fighty game thing kinda like fencing, then give them a controller. most people are down pretty quick after they see you do the manatee hops

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
indie game devs are the retards who play games for the story so obviously their idea of a good game is to make a gay side scroller

they also make a lot of half-tested strategy games

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Indie games are good, as are all games.

• Locked thread