Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Indie games are good, as are all games.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

when i look at games i played i pretty much play indie games like the last aaa game i bought was saints row 4 but that was like for a week. meanwhile i am playing the poo poo out of ftl that game owns and is hours and hours of fun. so.... no

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
indie games are mostly trash and always have been, but if that category getting some press allows stuff like Guacamelee to be a successful thing then I guess we can take the good with the bad

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
i think indie platformers would be better if they tried more to crib off rayman origins/legends than braid

guacamelee reminds of the newer rayman games in a couple ways which is partly why it's pretty dang good

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
If you're not hype for nuclear throne I think you need to get your gamer card revoked.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
i dare all of ddrd to play dinner date

loving DARE YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Not only does proteus exist, but there is a mod that remixes the visuals/sounds

Translator's note: I enjoyed proteus from the view point of " mixed media digital art" but without a lose state and no real progression goals between the start and the "win state" it would only count as a game at a lovely for profit college of the arts.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

SGR posted:

i dare all of ddrd to play dinner date

loving DARE YOU

Played it, got a boner, was impressed!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Xaris posted:

disagree

i think there was a period around the time of early HIB, Steam Bundles, etc where indie games were pretty good. even up until a year ago be fore the flood gates, the quality:noise ratio was relatively high.

Spelunky
Binding of Isaac
Super Meat Boy (i didnt like this but a lot did)
Guacamelee
Gone Home
Hero Siege
Marlow Briggs
Don't Starve
Monaco
Rogue Legacy
FTL
Staney Parable
Bastion
Transistor
Terraria
Starbound
Outlast
Papers, Please
Nidhogg
Torchlight
Chivalry
Braid (yea despite being pretentious and one of the first indie platformers+twist to come out and it was kinda neat to play at the time)
Expeditions: Conquistadors
La Mulana
Unholy Heights
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Valdis Story
Papo & Yo
Desktop Dungeons
Dungeons of Dredmore
One Way Heroics
Risk of Rain
Path of Exile
Cave Story
Banner Saga
Intake
Banished
Escape Goat 2
Kentucky Route Zero
Sir, You are being Hunted
FEZ
Van Helsing 1+2
Recettear
SpaceChem
The Swapper
Miasmata
Magrunner
Dustforce
Hotline Miami
Gunpoint
Sang Froid

obvious some are better than others and i missed a lot/might have included a few non ones and some of them aren't everyones cup of tea but that's a pretty good list of generally well-done and acceptable fun indie games.

Marlow Briggs is an indie game? That explains the budget-title feel. Still, it's a good game.

It feels like the 2D platformer trend is popular because it doesn't take much manpower to create one these days, especially since there's programs designed to make it easier to iterate.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
weird rear end generalization, op. before the indie surge started by braid, world of goo, castle crashers etc. happened, one of the most popular independently developed gaymes amongst games posters was grid wars 2, a game so unoriginal it got threatened with legal action. id say the actual problem is clowns who just recently started paying more attention to non-aaa games and cant handle sturgeons law when its presented to them on steams frontpage. the garbage always existed, youve just now learned of its existence

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
the real question is why dontrell the dolphin isnt on greenlight yet

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reus had a cool core idea but a lot of issues. I'd love to see it get expanded, but I think like five people played it.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
The majority of indie games are poo poo. But that's what happens when you have a market like steam or it's knockoffs. You have a shitload of people that make lovely games with barely any effort and people still buy them.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FactsAreUseless posted:

Reus had a cool core idea but a lot of issues. I'd love to see it get expanded, but I think like five people played it.

yeah I liked Reus in theory and it was well polished and cool looking. but it's problem was that it was too drat slow and too fast. like, it wasn't short enough to be played in short bursts like other indie games but it was too long that you just got burnt out and was like "is it over yet?". also not to be overwhelmed when lots of battles were going on and timer is counting down, you had to pause the game to make choices which dragged it out further.

plus it had a minecraft-esque problem with obscure as gently caress combinations an stuff so you needed to have a wiki open while playing. also controls were a bit frustrating and I always found it annoying to switch between and control the giants.

it'd try a Reus 2

sexy cougar on the prowl
Dec 31, 2008
My theory on why "Indie games have gone to poo poo" is Early Access and Kickstarter. Quality assurance is hard enough for even triple A studios, but it's loving abysmal with indie games.

Two early access indie games hit Steam today: The Stomping Land & The Forest

Currently, The Stomping Land, a dayz-styled multiplayer survival game with dinosaurs, isn't letting the majority of its players connect to multiplayer games.

While The Forest, a single player horror survival game, doesn't let you save your single player game.

:wtc:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Xaris posted:

yeah I liked Reus in theory and it was well polished and cool looking. but it's problem was that it was too drat slow and too fast. like, it wasn't short enough to be played in short bursts like other indie games but it was too long that you just got burnt out and was like "is it over yet?". also not to be overwhelmed when lots of battles were going on and timer is counting down, you had to pause the game to make choices which dragged it out further.

plus it had a minecraft-esque problem with obscure as gently caress combinations an stuff so you needed to have a wiki open while playing. also controls were a bit frustrating and I always found it annoying to switch between and control the giants.

it'd try a Reus 2
It was the company's first game so I have high hopes for a sequel.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Transistor is cool

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really liked the maximizing efficiency pseudo puzzle aspect of it, but it punished success with the stupid greed factor, it would be a much better game if they focused more on world building and maybe some unique scenarios or achievements instead of shot-in-the-dark micromanaging.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

was braid the one where the creator had a meltdown about soulja boy making a video of himself playing the game wrong and NOT GETTING MY VISION

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

No Such Thing posted:

I really liked the maximizing efficiency pseudo puzzle aspect of it, but it punished success with the stupid greed factor, it would be a much better game if they focused more on world building and maybe some unique scenarios or achievements instead of shot-in-the-dark micromanaging.
Yeah. Still better than Civ V though.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Luigi Thirty posted:

was braid the one where the creator had a meltdown about soulja boy making a video of himself playing the game wrong and NOT GETTING MY VISION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSXofLK5hFQ

It's the best game review. I don't know why Giant Bomb hasn't picked him up yet.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Every indie game should be reviewed by soulja boy

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
braid had cool puzzles

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i wish i could say i was a super clever boy solving puzzles but i just hit rewind over and over until i solved every braid puzzle pretty much by accident.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I have a problem with buying terrible indie game bundles. Not the humble ones, im talking about bundlestars and indiegala, theres some real hot poo poo in there.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

SeXReX posted:

I have a problem with buying terrible indie game bundles. Not the humble ones, im talking about bundlestars and indiegala, theres some real hot poo poo in there.

The new humble book bundle has yahtzee's book, but only if you spend more than 10$, lol.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

No Such Thing posted:

The new humble book bundle has yahtzee's book, but only if you spend more than 10$, lol.

I paid got bundle 10 so I could have Metal Slug 3 on my phone with less effort than downloading roms and stuff

it controls like rear end and I barely have room for it

best decision 2014

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Most indie gmaes were always poo poo, valve became very cool and didn't want to hire anyone to keep poo poo off steam

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

That documentary is mostly a platform for them to show off their game. Yeah, it's got some dramatic bits like Meat Boy's XBox Live issues and Fish not sure if he can keep the rights to Fez but Jonathan Blow had the stupidest conflict.

"Maybe now I can engage people about the content of my game."
*Soulja Boy reviews Braid*
"gently caress everything."

Also, Phil Fish cannot hide how much of a raging rear end in a top hat he can be on camera.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Jackie D posted:

Most indie gmaes were always poo poo, valve became very cool and didn't want to hire anyone to keep poo poo off steam

It costs next to nothing for them to distribute, and they get to take a cut regardless of whether it sells well. I wouldn't care too much about quality either. Although it would be courteous to have some sort of system to allow the cream to rise to the top.

sexy cougar on the prowl
Dec 31, 2008

It really makes u think

Dec 26, 2012

big duck equals goose posted:

Every indie game should be reviewed by soulja boy

really just every game, his call of duty video where hes stoned out of his mind playing singleplayer is great too

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

It's cerebral because by the time you're done watching it you'll want to splatter your brain all over the screen with a gun.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

cmykjester posted:

Transistor is cool

cool like a battery-operated fan from the dollar store; it puffs a few gentle farts of air onto your sunburnt flesh before instantly wearing out and leaving you with a hunk of useless crap you'll never touch again

except instead of one dollar it's twenty dollars lmao

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
risk of rain is pretty solid
no story bullshit or anything just shoot the gently caress out of stuff and collect powerups

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

so what, triple a games are also poo poo

also if you dont like the swapper there is something very wrong with you

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dominique Pamplemousse in "It’s All Over Once The Fat Lady Sings!" is a unique and offbeat stop motion animated detective adventure game about gender and the economy. Also, all the characters frequently burst into song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I Said No posted:

risk of rain is pretty solid
no story bullshit or anything just shoot the gently caress out of stuff and collect powerups

Also the music is really good.

• Locked thread