Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The flag anime, as I prefer to just call it, is one of the more odd things this season.

Of course there's just the name, Kanojo ga flag o oraretara which is pretty ridiculous, both in its length (okay honestly, it's one of the shorter ones these days) and its meaning.
At its most basic, it's just another harem thing, but what makes this one a bit different is that at least the dude knows how bad his situation is. To some degree. There's still his odd ambition to follow through with a childhood promise, although this time it's in fact not to marry a girl. Rather, it is to discover the secret of the world.

So why watch it at all? Well, it works. It's entertaining with goofy characters, and generally adorable. Such as, the pastel plaid patterned skirts actually work really well.

Here's a quick rundown of the harem (so far):

Nanami is a princess. Really.
(She also has 13 additional sisters, of which at least one is introduced later.)

Akane says desu all the time. Also rich. Desu.

Megumu is supposedly a boy. Still not confirmed.

Kikuno is Souta's older sister, except actually just childhood friend.

Mimori is the student council president. Doesn't really seem to be a love interest.

Rin is another childhood friend. Rather violent.

Kurumiko appears later, to become Souta's younger sister. De arimasu.

Mei appears as a secret agent, but not for long.

Ruri is an android and maid. Also not a love interest.

Souta is the protagonist, his gimmick is seeing flags.

So those flags. Basically, fate. The show pretends to be telling a serious story about knowing and manipulating fate, and the dangers that entails. There's even a secret cabal somewhere holding omnious meetings.
It's pretty obvious the big quest (hey, they all live at the Quest Dormitory) is just a distraction, so I don't think too much about it.

So watch this show and join the effort to kill anime. Crunchyroll has it on Wednesdays, although some TV stations show it earlier.

If you actually like this: Also try the "multiple choices" show (NouCome, or Ore no nounai sentakushi gakuen lovecome o zenryoku de jama shiteru), as well as Date-A-Live. Both have the same idea of having a somewhat genre-savvy guy protagonist ending up in a harem situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show seems stupid as hell until you manage to just go with it. Once you learn to deal with the crazy pacing it sets itself at, it's pretty enjoyable. It's nice to see one of these sort of shows have a degree of self-awareness for once.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'd say this anim is my guilty pleasure except it owns so I don't feel guilty at all.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This latest episode was like super loving bad trip man. SUICIDE ATTEMPT OUT OF NOWHERE

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The opening song still sounds like it belongs to a 70's British sitcom.

Show would be a lot better if it just picked a plot line and stuck with it, or even had some sort of balance between 'goofy fun' and 'deadly serious'.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well that latest episode convinced me this must be an allegory on growing up and getting tons of responsibility dumped on you. You think you have an amazing ability to read the intentions of others and act perfectly on them, but in the end it turns out you are powerless when the established masters turn against you. Very deep.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's just, like, what the gently caress is this show? WHAT IS IT?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sakurazuka posted:

The opening song still sounds like it belongs to a 70's British sitcom.

This is why I kept watching the show...

Sakurazuka posted:

Show would be a lot better if it just picked a plot line and stuck with it, or even had some sort of balance between 'goofy fun' and 'deadly serious'.

... and this is why I stopped watching it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay I definitely did not expect that. Literally The Matrix, moe edition.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Fuckin' red pill/ blue pill out of nowhere man. The people writing this are on drugs.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I was wondering where they were going to do with the how RPG party story they brought up earlier in the series. I was not expecting it to take such a while turn. Next episode should be fun to watch.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh hey, there was a thread for this.

I watched it because it seemed like the shittiest show this season, and it was. It was also really, really, really weird.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh hey, there was a thread for this.

I watched it because it seemed like the shittiest show this season, and it was. It was also really, really, really weird.

Sorry, but I think you picked the wrong show if you wanted something bad.
If you want unwatchably bad, Mahouka is the only contestant, for being dull, dumb and offensive, and in fact impossible to enjoy for any reason.
If you want hilariously bad, Brynhildr in the Darkness is probably it, with overall bad writing and dumb characters abound, and the worst deus ex machina I've seen for a good while.

This, on the other hand, is just silly fun. Of course most of it was just fooling around but at least it didn't pretend to be anything else.

Of course this finale was really weird and kinda rushed/infodumpy, but even then it seemed to make sense.
Just me, or didn't they use plenty of Evangelion-esque imagery?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

nielsm posted:

If you want unwatchably bad, Mahouka is the only contestant, for being dull, dumb and offensive, and in fact impossible to enjoy for any reason.

Yeah it gets my vote for worst of the season for those exact reasons, but the Mahouka thread (Irregular at Magic Highschool) is incredibly entertaining so I suggest people check that out :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

nielsm posted:

Of course this finale was really weird and kinda rushed/infodumpy, but even then it seemed to make sense.

Absolutely nothing about this show made sense at any point. I sort of wondered if I was actually seeing on screen was real and I wasn't just going insane a few times.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I have no loving idea what the plot of this outside of the harem was.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i thought this was going to be about that anime, Flag, but its just some stupid school club bullshit

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Haven't seen the finale yet but what a weird, weird show.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

It certainly started taking a dark twist, which came out of absolutely nowhere.
Still an enjoyable show, but the trio of verbal tics really grated on my nerves.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Well, that ending was certainly an ending. This series really did go from tongue and cheek romcom to some crazy place really suddenly. I still liked the series even if the ending came from left field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Revolver Bunker posted:

Well, that ending was certainly an ending. This series really did go from tongue and cheek romcom to some crazy place really suddenly. I still liked the series even if the ending came from left field.

But it's okay, they went back to straight romcom territory, but with the added bonus that now one of the girls is confirmed as real sister!

:eng99:

• Locked thread